University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.

-Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student.

-Please also describe your experience with osteopathic medicine that may include your care and treatment by a D.O. and your shadowing experiences with a D.O. (include number of hours, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a complete email 8/31 hoping for some love soon from here.

I finally received a secondary! Good luck to everyone, and I hope this school gives out IIs soon!

I checked the first box too, I was in hurry :( darnittt " I do understand this waiver is irrevocable." I hope I am not f****d

So...does anyone know what that means yet??? Not sure what I should do....

Also, did you use all 500 words?? I didn't want to repeat myself in other questions so I am down to around 200 for all of them :/

So...does anyone know what that means yet??? Not sure what I should do....

Also, did you use all 500 words?? I didn't want to repeat myself in other questions so I am down to around 200 for all of them :/
No idea. I emailed but nothing yet...

I'm also wondering about that public law 421 box... I've got my whole secondary prepped and ready to go, but don't know which box to click/or both? If I hadddd to submit this very instant, I would only check box #2 with the long paragraph I guess...

hi guys. I rarely post on SDN, but thought I'd let ya'll know I received an II.

hi guys. I rarely post on SDN, but thought I'd let ya'll know I received an II.

ahhh I was complete before then :(. Do you mind sharing stats and OOS/IS status? Congrats by the way!!! did they give u a date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah no problem
cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.3
MCAT 26
TONS of extracurricular, work, volunteer and clinical experiences. I forgot if I sent in both of my DO letters, but they are both VERY strong I think.
I'm OOS

Thank you :D
I had the choice of interviewing 9/18, but decided to choose the 10/17 date to better prepare.

Patience is key. I'm sure you'll get yours soon enough. I try not to dwell on waiting for II's or anything like that.

Yeah no problem
cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.3
MCAT 26
TONS of extracurricular, work, volunteer and clinical experiences. I forgot if I sent in both of my DO letters, but they are both VERY strong I think.
I'm OOS

I had the choice of interviewing 9/18, but decided to choose the 10/17 date to better prepare.

Patience is key. I'm sure you'll get yours soon enough. I try not to dwell on waiting for II's or anything like that.

Thank you! Best of luck to you with ur interview!

I was complete on 8/18 and still nothing :(
Congrats bboydancer14!!
Anyone else with an interview invite?

Hey fellow SDN'rs wanted to chime in regarding my progress with UP-KYCOM. Just received my invite for interviews being an OOS applicant (California to be specific)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey fellow SDN'rs wanted to chime in regarding my progress with UP-KYCOM. Just received my invite for interviews being an OOS applicant (California to be specific)
Congrats!! Can you please share your stats and when were you complete? Thanks!

Congrats!! Can you please share your stats and when were you complete? Thanks!

For Sure. I completed the secondary on 8/21/14 and my stats were MCAT:25 sGPA: 3.3 cGPA:3.5 with a ton of EC and over 6500 hrs working with a physician. Good luck to everyone!

II today! Complete 8/27. WI resident. MCAT 29, sGPA: 3.37, cGPA: 3.57

Hi all, just got a secondary. I was wondering how you all were approaching the secondary topic of "explain why you will be a successful student at KYSOM?" Is this meant to be answered in a macro way (success of fulfilling the mission of the school) or a more narrow way (curriculum, learning enviroment, etc)?

Interview invite this morning... My only options were Sept 19th or 20th! I checked all the way into May of next year. Not sure if thats all that is left or that is the only dates they want me since i'm from California. Dono how they filled up so quickly yet this board has only a few people mentioning interviews.

Very exciting/scary to find out Ill be in KY interviewing in two weeks o_O

Interview invite this morning... My only options were Sept 19th or 20th! I checked all the way into May of next year. Not sure if thats all that is left or that is the only dates they want me since i'm from California. Dono how they filled up so quickly yet this board has only a few people mentioning interviews.

Very exciting/scary to find out Ill be in KY interviewing in two weeks o_O

wow this morning? they work on a saturday? Anyways, congrats tho. I am anxiously waiting for mine :(.

wow this morning? they work on a saturday? Anyways, congrats tho. I am anxiously waiting for mine :(.

Thanks! Just be patient :) Oh yeah man, I was totally surprised to receive any updates on the weekend. Usually I check my email every 30 minutes, so I wasnt expecting anything today!

Couldn't believe that the invite came on a weekend. I'm sure they're just sending them out as they read the apps. Don't get too worried yet, it's way too soon! And I only saw the Friday and Saturday interview options too.

II today! Complete 8/27. WI resident. MCAT 29, sGPA: 3.37, cGPA: 3.57
Good luck at interview! I'm a current student 1st year here at KYCOM who was oos with almost the exact same stats same mcat just a little lower sgpa hope that encourages you. You guys will do great at interview it was by far my most laid back interview and really conversational

Anyone have advice on how to get there from California? So far it looks like LAX to Lexington, KY is the cheapest.... and what about hotels/motels and a car rental for cheap?

Anyone have advice on how to get there from California? So far it looks like LAX to Lexington, KY is the cheapest.... and what about hotels/motels and a car rental for cheap?
I'm from tn so I just drove but I stated at holiday inn real cheap but the Hampton inn and hilton are both literally right accross from school so you can walk if you stay there not sure on their prices though

I'm from tn so I just drove but I stated at holiday inn real cheap but the Hampton inn and hilton are both literally right accross from school so you can walk if you stay there not sure on their prices though

How was the interview like? Was it a tour of the campus first then a 1 on 1?

Good luck at interview! I'm a current student 1st year here at KYCOM who was oos with almost the exact same stats same mcat just a little lower sgpa hope that encourages you. You guys will do great at interview it was by far my most laid back interview and really conversational
Thanks for the encouragement! What are some pros/cons that you've noticed since starting there?

What kind of interview/acceptance ratio does KYCOM have? I have recently read some data pertaining to other schools, but not KYCOM.

Just got II and scheduled for 9/20!

Reactions: 1 users
Is the complete email automatic? I got it at 101 am CST

Received II on Saturday

9/19 OOS (California)

Quick question, is the regional bias all but negated once you get an interview? I am from [way] out of town, and received an interview last week. I genuinely wish to practice in a rural setting- are we all on equal footing if we all manage to display sincerity?

Guys, I have a quick question about the secondary process. It says that you have a LOR from a pre-med committee and a physician. All of my letters from physicians were sent to the committee. What should I do?

Guys, I have a quick question about the secondary process. It says that you have a LOR from a pre-med committee and a physician. All of my letters from physicians were sent to the committee. What should I do?
As long as the committee sends the letters and the physician LOR is included, I suspect you'll be fine.

On a side note, getting close to the interview time. Starting to get a little anxious/excited.

Just click on the committee then send and email to them saying that the physician letter is included in the committee packet. You'll be fine

Yeah no problem
cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.3
MCAT 26
I'm OOS

Congrats on the interview! Which state are you from?

Congrats to all the interviewees I'll be there Saturday morning to hang out with you guys and answer questions so I look forward to meeting you all! Good luck and try not to be nervous the interviews are pretty laid back and very conversational. I'm OMS-1 so I can't answer tons about rotations or anything but definitely can talk about study life at school and why I chose KYCOM over others.

How was the interview like? Was it a tour of the campus first then a 1 on 1?
Hey sorry just saw your question interview is divided into two groups and two parts. First group interviews one on one with two faculty then goes on a tour led by students. Second group tours with students then interviews one on one with two faculty. You'll get a packet when you get there saying who your interviewers will be so hopefully us students can tell you more about them and let you know what to expect! Good luck and enjoy the experience

Thanks for the encouragement! What are some pros/cons that you've noticed since starting there?
Pros would be great professors that really want you to succeed along with amazing facilities and all the books and materials you would ever need to be successful. You have 24 hour access to building study rooms and labs to practice and study which is great. Cons would be required attendance although this seems to be pretty laid back as many classmates don't come to every lecture. They do record lectures in case you miss but still can make it hard to sit through lecture all day then go home and study until you fall asleep but I guess that's how it is a lot of places.

Reactions: 1 users
What kind of interview/acceptance ratio does KYCOM have? I have recently read some data pertaining to other schools, but not KYCOM.
Honestly I have no idea but I do know if you're offered an interview they are interested and want to get to know you more. So come ready to talk about why you're applying and about any weaknesses in your application and why you would be successful if accepted

Quick question, is the regional bias all but negated once you get an interview? I am from [way] out of town, and received an interview last week. I genuinely wish to practice in a rural setting- are we all on equal footing if we all manage to display sincerity?
Don't worry about regional bias since half my class is oos and several are from large urban areas just focus on why you selected Kycom your passion for rural care and why you would be successful if accepted. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
is anyone interviewing 9/19 flying out from california 9/18?

is anyone interviewing 9/19 flying out from california 9/18?

Interviewing on 9/19, but not flying from Cali. Just got to Pikeville....it really is a Mountain area. The people I have met so far have come across to be very friendly. So far loving it! :).

How did it take you guys to hear back for an invite?