University of Sydney Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurtleLover

LSU SVM c/o 2013!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I see University of Sydney is on the AAVMC website. Does anyone know anything about the vet med program? Any idea on how strong their program is, application deadlines, statistics, etc? I know we've heard some people getting interviews and such with U. Melbourne, but anyone apply to U. Sydney? Australia seems like an awesome place to go, especially when you want to do exotic/wildlife medicine like I do :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Sydney is an awesome place!! I grew up in Sydney, but study in Brisbane now..(university of queensland)
From what I know about USyd's vet program, its 5 years and there aren't any lectures in the last year.. Holly's from USyd, I'm sure she'd be able to give u more details :)
I believe the app deadline for internationals is around October? We start school in early March (we get out of school in late Nov/early Dec, so its a good long holiday!!)

Hey, I've never been to Australia but I applied to Sydney and got accepted. From what I've read and heard, the program is equal if not better than any program in the US. The program is AVMA accredited (as well as accredited by the UK, NZ, and Canada) so you would receive a good quality education there. Overall, it is an excellent university. And Sydney strikes me as an awesome place to live.

For US students, they don't interview (good thing because it would be a long way to travel!). I don't remember when the application deadline is for us- I applied this past summer (June I think). Remember that their semesters are on a different schedule than ours since its in the Southern Hemisphere obviously. So their year starts in feb/march, they get a break and then the next semester starts in august or some time around there.

I don't know what you mean by statistics. If you mean rankings, well for veterinary school I would ignore those. Aussie schools aren't always ranked in this journal and that report like US schools. If it's an AVMA accredited school, I think that's what is most important (unless you never plan on returning to practice in the US at all).

If you mean like GPA, GRE, and that stuff....well they don't require or care about your GRE score. They basically review your transcript, your major, quality of your program, etc. I sent in two LORs along with my transcript and details of my work experience and that's about it. I believe they are mainly concerned with your academic performance when making a decision. Hope that helps, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if you are considering Melbourne as well...the advantage of going to Melbourne (for US students) is that they have a 4 year program for graduates. Sydney may offer you some credit for previous courses, but I think you will still end up doing 5 years there.

Also, since you seem interested in exotics/wildlife, I thought I'd mention that while surfing through some of the alumni stories on Melbourne's website there was one graduate who moved on to become the chief veterinarian at San Diego zoo (don't know if he still is) and there were many other very accomplished individuals listed. So along with its AVMA accreditation, I reckon it is a very good program as well.

And yes, Australia is a prime location for working with wildlife especially. I just finished a book about Australia and it mentioned a lot about the teeming wildlife. Since you are a turtle lover, I think there would be plenty of opportunities for you to work with them and conservation programs (maybe even at the Great Barrier reef);)

Hi Turtlelover!

I just graduated from Sydney, so let me know if you have specific questions. There's been a few other threads about the course too, so have a search for them. I'm a local student so I am not much help for questions about applications and deadlines, but can answer anything about the course / university / city / country.

Cheers :)

I studied abroad as an undergrad at Sydney Uni. Don't know much about the vet med program but I am happy to answer questions about campus/Sydney/living in Aussie as an American. The only reason I didn't apply is because I'm a little too close to my family to consider being that far away for that many years... feel free to PM me!

Auzzie Auzzie Auzzie...Oy Oy Oy! Love it.

Thanks for all of your replies! You pretty much answered the gist of my questions. It was just out of curiosity really. I applied this year, have already been accepted to St. Matthews University, so I don't know if it's too late or not to apply to U. Sydney for Fall 09....or whatever their equivalent is. But wow, 5 years....that's a looooong time! If I have anymore questions, I'll be sure to let you all know. Thanks again!