University of Sydney C/O 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received an offer yesterday as well! Tough decisions to make with the COVID delays :/

Members don't see this ad.

Right! So have you got back to Sydney regarding whether you would accept their offer or not?
So I was in the process of accepting, however, I realized that they also require you to acquire Overseas Student Health Care insurance for all 4 years when you accept your offer. You can either accept through the school, or shop around for an approved third party provider. And this OSHC coverage is needed in order for you to even apply for a student visa. Unfortunately, I was not prepared to pay another $2000 at this time, so I’m not able to accept their offer. 😞
The international student loans through the school will cover that for you when loans drop, however, you’re expected to pay for all of it upfront and then will later get reimbursed.

Last edited:
So I was in the process of accepting, however, I realized that they also require you to acquire Overseas Student Health Care insurance for all 4 years when you accept your offer. You can either accept through the school, or shop around for an approved third party provider. And this OSHC coverage is needed in order for you to even apply for a student visa. Unfortunately, I was not prepared to pay another $2000 at this time, so I’m not able to accept their offer. 😞
The international student loans through the school will cover that for you when loans drop, however, you’re expected to pay for all of it upfront and then will later get reimbursed.
Ohhh yeah we can’t ignore the financial aspect of this whole application process especially if a tuition for one term is worth nearly one of my kidneys.. 🥲

Members don't see this ad :)
i’m in the same boat as you! i just got my unconditional offer yesterday and am having trouble deciding if/when i’ll get back to sydney. what are you thinking?
I have emailed them and am just waiting for them to email me back:(

I accepted my spot at Sydney yesterday! Waiting on a confirmation email.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know anything about how the school is dealing with online classes for international students in different time zones? I imagine the lectures will be prerecorded but will we have to take exams/ do live classes in the middle of the night?

Does anybody know anything about how the school is dealing with online classes for international students in different time zones? I imagine the lectures will be prerecorded but will we have to take exams/ do live classes in the middle of the night?

I'm not sure about exams. But I asked them this question about classes:

"Given the time zone differences of students overseas, how will the online classes be conducted? Will it held at times that all students are able to attend, or will they be prerecorded?"

Their reply was: "Some of the lectures will be pre-recorded while others will be held on Zoom per local time schedule, so it is possible that some of these times will not suit students located overseas. However, these Zoom recordings will be available on Canvas for viewing at a later time."

Reactions: 2 users
For those that accepted their seats how do you feel about the possibility of having to defer for 12 months if we can’t gain entry into the country? And what are your thoughts? Having a hard time accepting and justifying this possible outcome 😔

Last edited:
For this that accepted their seats how do you feel about the possibility of of having to defer for 12 months if we can’t gain entry into the country? And what are your thoughts? Having a hard time accepting and justifying this possible outcome 😔

I’m optimistic. I think it’s highly likely that international students will be allowed to re-enter in 2021 before semester 2 starts. From what I’ve been reading on the news, it seems that different states are starting to put in plans to have students come in. I also think it’s likely that usyd could arrange something for us to do the in person practicals at schools abroad, since they’ll have time to set that up by semester 2. I do wish they’d set that up properly now, so there’s less uncertainty.

My overall feeling is that it’ll work out. If it really doesn’t, I’ll use that year to work and save up some funds, as well as get some practical experience while taking it part of it online.

What do you guys think? What are your thoughts on this issue?

Last edited:
I’m optimistic. I think it’s highly likely that international students will be allowed to re-enter in 2021 before semester 2 starts. From what I’ve been reading on the news, it seems that different states are starting to put in plans to have students come in. I also think it’s likely that usyd could arrange something for us to do the in person practicals at schools abroad, since they’ll have time to set that up by semester 2. I do wish they’d set that up properly now, so there’s less uncertainty.

My overall feeling is that it’ll work out. If it really doesn’t, I’ll use that year to work and save up some funds, as well as get some practical experience while taking it part of it online.

What do you guys think? What are your thoughts on this issue?
I would be cautious with your optimism, especially if you live in the states.

Our class has about 15 students stuck overseas and they are told if they cannot get back into the country by February, they will have to defer. The state school that is supporting some of these students is unable to support them much longer (from what I’m told).

Unless the vaccine works magic in the states or the virus just disappears over there, the US will likely be the last place allowed to come back to Aus. I think Australia’s PM is predicting early 2022 to be the soonest international travel can occur (outside of countries doing really well like NZ). Obviously the situation is fluid and anything can happen, but predicting open boarders by June/July is very optimistic.

There was a trial flight a week or two ago for international students that flew into NT. However, I believe they were all from Asian countries.

There has also been a recent outbreak in NSW (like 50 cases and they’re freaking out about it lol). This outbreak was linked to international travel (I think flying a citizen back from the states). So this will likely make the government more cautious about opening up borders.

I asked last week when I called. They stated that all lectures will be pre-recorded for us to watch on our own time. Exams will be open for about 2 days to cater to the time differences.
For those that accepted their seats how do you feel about the possibility of having to defer for 12 months if we can’t gain entry into the country? And what are your thoughts? Having a hard time accepting and justifying this possible outcome 😔
So I'm with @HappyToro on this. We likely will not defer the 12 months. But if we do, we can opt to work in the meantime and make money for a bit, do internships, shadow more, or just use it as relaxation and vacation time, etc. If we defer we'd graduate in 2025, which, again, isn't a big deal to me personally since technically our class would be 2025 (but USYD's scheduling allows us to graduate in 2024 instead). I've been following up with the news as well and Sydney is looking to make an exception at the very least for international students around Feb./March since their economy is down. They'll be finalizing those plans in January though, but international students will definitely be one of their priorities, and they'll likely do an exception for us. Also, with the vaccine out, I think the world in general will begin to open up by March-ish of next year. Chances are, they'll require us to take the vaccine in order to move and fly out to Sydney though. I heard this past year some current international USYD students have been taking their practicals at University of Tennessee's Vet school in partnership. So this is also a possibility for us where we'll be matched with veterinary schools here to gain some hand-on experiences. Overall, I think USYD will try their hardest to avoid that deferment, I just think they notified us as a precautionary step and "just in case".

@
I’m about to finish my second year at USYD. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions! I’m an international from the US
Hi DrinkWater95! I had a question about this comment listed on the USYD website regarding the veterinary program:

"Following its global accreditation site visit in 2019, the Sydney School of Veterinary Science has been accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association with a minor deficiency in Standard 3, Physical Facilities and Equipment. The School is currently addressing this and will have this rectified by November 2020"

Do you have any knowledge of what that minor deficiency was? Also, what are your thoughts on the veterinary school's physical facilities & equipment overall? Thanks in advance for any info you can share!

Members don't see this ad :)
@

Hi DrinkWater95! I had a question about this comment listed on the USYD website regarding the veterinary program:

"Following its global accreditation site visit in 2019, the Sydney School of Veterinary Science has been accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association with a minor deficiency in Standard 3, Physical Facilities and Equipment. The School is currently addressing this and will have this rectified by November 2020"

Do you have any knowledge of what that minor deficiency was? Also, what are your thoughts on the veterinary school's physical facilities & equipment overall? Thanks in advance for any info you can share!
Our cohort received an email from The Dean discussing the issues brought up by the accreditation team. The email read as followed:

“We received commendations for the following:
  • The availability of animals for preclinical teaching;
  • The caseload of the Avian, Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital;
  • The commitment of the University’s library staff; and
  • The research and enquiry stream in the DVM.
As is always the case following an accreditation visit, there are areas that we need to address but by in large, these were known to the School”

I’m haven’t done my clinical years yet, so I’m not 100% familiar with the intimacies of all of the facilities. However, they do have things like MRI, CT, Fluoroscopy, functional ECG, OR for large animal surgery etc etc. I think they have all the facilities you need to be a successful vet. At the end of the day, much of the bells and whistles you see in vet school will not be a common sight when in practice (unless you work in a vet school).

I think the accreditation team always has some sort of feedback to give vet schools when they visit.

This project is part of our research class. We learn basic research and stats skills in the first 2 years and put those skills to the test in third year. You work under a mentor - sometimes this can be more than one mentor. You come up with an idea yourself and pitch it to your desired mentor.

I'm not 100% on the other questions you've asked. I think in general, a small portion of students go on to specialize. Additionally, (in general) a very large percent. I'm sure you already know this, but wildlife is very competitive to get into and many vets who choose to do exotics or wildlife will work will small animals for the majority of their time. Also, an exclusively wildlife veterinarian will not make much money at all.
@DrinkWater95 Following up on an earlier post, do students at Usyd get matched up to mentors or do they reach out themselves? Do you also know of any students that started any research with faculty in their first two years? I’ve heard that summer research programs that vet students do (sometimes in between their 1st and 2nd year) are common in the US, so I was wondering whether USyd had similar opportunities for vet students. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I am also optimistic that we will be able to enter the country by the second semester. If this does not occur, then I plan on working full-time which will allow me to save more money up for living there. Overall, I am not terribly worried.

Awesome! I recently acquired my visa and finally figured out how to complete enrolment! Super exciting!
How long did the visa process take? Was it fairly fast. Also does getting your visa mean you can start planning to move to Australia or is the country not letting anyone in at all?
Also unrelated but does anyone know about class sizes for this upcoming year and how many ppl will be in entering class?

@DrinkWater95 Following up on an earlier post, do students at Usyd get matched up to mentors or do they reach out themselves? Do you also know of any students that started any research with faculty in their first two years? I’ve heard that summer research programs that vet students do (sometimes in between their 1st and 2nd year) are common in the US, so I was wondering whether USyd had similar opportunities for vet students. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
You pick your own mentor for your research project. You send them a pitch of your idea(s) and they approve or deny you.
I think a few of my classmates get summer jobs doing research, however, these opportunities aren’t formally advertised. Individuals take their own initiatives to get these opportunities in their first two years.

Reactions: 1 users
How long did the visa process take? Was it fairly fast. Also does getting your visa mean you can start planning to move to Australia or is the country not letting anyone in at all?
Also unrelated but does anyone know about class sizes for this upcoming year and how many ppl will be in entering class?
The visa process takes an hour or so to apply but a week or 2 to hear back. Technically, yes, it does mean you can start to plan to move to Australia under different circumstances, but at this time, even students with visas are not approved or allowed to go into Australia due to COVID. Borders are closed now. In regard to class size, you likely won't get a definitive answer yet as they are still working on students who received a conditional offer (the deadline to get their stuff sorted is in January). They are also still sending out acceptances and offers to waitlisted students. You'll likely find out around early Feb., but from what I understand, class size is typically around 120ish or so.

Our cohort received an email from The Dean discussing the issues brought up by the accreditation team. The email read as followed:

“We received commendations for the following:
  • The availability of animals for preclinical teaching;
  • The caseload of the Avian, Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital;
  • The commitment of the University’s library staff; and
  • The research and enquiry stream in the DVM.
As is always the case following an accreditation visit, there are areas that we need to address but by in large, these were known to the School”

I’m haven’t done my clinical years yet, so I’m not 100% familiar with the intimacies of all of the facilities. However, they do have things like MRI, CT, Fluoroscopy, functional ECG, OR for large animal surgery etc etc. I think they have all the facilities you need to be a successful vet. At the end of the day, much of the bells and whistles you see in vet school will not be a common sight when in practice (unless you work in a vet school).

I think the accreditation team always has some sort of feedback to give vet schools when they visit.
Is anyone aware of what happens IF* a school fails to meet AVMA standards? I know they are given time to correct the issues and then get reevaluated but what happens to students if they fail and the accreditation is retracted? Are student grandfathered in? Would they have to transfer schools? Etc.

I tried finding the answer in the AVMA website but it ignores the elephant in the room and doesn’t discuss what happens to student, especially international ones...

Is anyone aware of what happens IF* a school fails to meet AVMA standards? I know they are given time to correct the issues and then get reevaluated but what happens to students if they fail and the accreditation is retracted? Are student grandfathered in? Would they have to transfer schools? Etc.

I tried finding the answer in the AVMA website but it ignores the elephant in the room and doesn’t discuss what happens to student, especially international ones...
I asked about this when I was first looking into a university that wasn't fully accredited yet. I was informed that the university is still responsible for your graduation, however the accreditation would mostly affect the class after you. As in, if you entered a university that was accredited at the time of your admission, then you will have no issue if they fail to renew accreditation after your start date. It will only affect incoming classes at the time when accreditation is retracted. They are required and responsible for graduating you.

• Love
- My visa was actually approved immediately. On the government website it states that it can take up to 4 months but mine was approved within 5 minutes of submitting it.
- Getting my visa means that I can enroll in classes (cannot enroll without a visa) and it means that when borders reopen I can enter the country right away. Right now most international students are not allowed to enter the country at all. There’s specific details about who can enter and who can be made an exception etc. on the department of home affairs website.
- As far as class size...I have no idea. I tried asking during a webinar last year and did not receive a straight answer or even an estimate.

- As far as class size...I have no idea. I tried asking during a webinar last year and did not receive a straight answer or even an estimate.
My class size (soon to be DVM 3) is ~135 people. I believe about half are internationals

My class size (soon to be DVM 3) is ~135 people. I believe about half are internationals
Hi! Do you know what portion of the international students joined the dvm vs directly from high school with the ba/dvm? Thanks!

Has anyone ever asked for an extension on their acceptance? I was accepted to both Australian Uni’s but want to hold off just a tad longer before I make my decision. Is this possible or do I have to gamble and hope for the best and that I get accepted elsewhere ? 😭

Hi! Do you know what portion of the international students joined the dvm vs directly from high school with the ba/dvm? Thanks!
Most people from the US/Canada went into the DVM after a bachelors or higher from their home country. Most of the students from Asian countries seem to do the university’s BVB/DVM program

Does anyone know if they always do fee increases each year? tuition fees for this upcoming year are 68k AUD should we expect it to keep going up each year for 4 years?

Does anyone know if they always do fee increases each year? tuition fees for this upcoming year are 68k AUD should we expect it to keep going up each year for 4 years?
Yes, mine has increased $2k each year. I think the increase may be more for 4th year

Anyone else having issues scheduling the required health examination? The sole provider in the northwest region (Seattle) is booked through January and told me they would try to hopefully squeeze me in. I saw that the Australian Department of Home Affairs website stated that their officials would take the COVID-19 disruptions into account in regards to those exams, but not sure what that exactly means. Did everyone else schedule these far in advance? I thought we were supposed to wait until after we lodged our visa application....

- My visa was actually approved immediately. On the government website it states that it can take up to 4 months but mine was approved within 5 minutes of submitting it.
- Getting my visa means that I can enroll in classes (cannot enroll without a visa) and it means that when borders reopen I can enter the country right away. Right now most international students are not allowed to enter the country at all. There’s specific details about who can enter and who can be made an exception etc. on the department of home affairs website.
Did you have the required health exam performed before you knew you were accepted?

Is overseas health insurance required now even tho it will be 6-18 mos. before US students will be able to go and study in Australia?

Is overseas health insurance required now even tho it will be 6-18 mos. before US students will be able to go and study in Australia?
Yes. It is required as a condition of the visa, but the unused portion should be reimbursed as you notify the insurance companies of your actual arrival date.

@DrinkWater95 and/or any other Sydney students on here; do y’all or anyone you know have any experience with bringing a pet with you (I know about quarantine and such, but am curious about personal experiences)? Also, my husband would be coming with me, so if anyone has experience/advice on a spouse getting a visa that allows them to work a full time job, I would greatly appreciate it!

@DrinkWater95 and/or any other Sydney students on here; do y’all or anyone you know have any experience with bringing a pet with you (I know about quarantine and such, but am curious about personal experiences)? Also, my husband would be coming with me, so if anyone has experience/advice on a spouse getting a visa that allows them to work a full time job, I would greatly appreciate it!
It varies by country you are from, but for all cases, you’d need to quarantine your pet in Melbourne PEQ for 10 days (which needs to be booked in advance). There’s a lot of required tests and titter tests that need to be done months in advance. We are using a pet relocator at the moment to help us with the paperwork and booking from the US. I think a lot of airlines into Australia only allow you to book cargo for pets via an approved pet relocator now because of covid. There’s a Facebook group called Flying Pets Into Australia that is really useful.

It varies by country you are from, but for all cases, you’d need to quarantine your pet in Melbourne PEQ for 10 days (which needs to be booked in advance). There’s a lot of required tests and titter tests that need to be done months in advance. We are using a pet relocator at the moment to help us with the paperwork and booking from the US. I think a lot of airlines into Australia only allow you to book cargo for pets via an approved pet relocator now because of covid. There’s a Facebook group called Flying Pets Into Australia that is really useful.
Awesome, thank you!!

Anyone else having issues scheduling the required health examination? The sole provider in the northwest region (Seattle) is booked through January and told me they would try to hopefully squeeze me in. I saw that the Australian Department of Home Affairs website stated that their officials would take the COVID-19 disruptions into account in regards to those exams, but not sure what that exactly means. Did everyone else schedule these far in advance? I thought we were supposed to wait until after we lodged our visa application....
I'm from the USA and in the Sydney class of 2023, I didn't need to complete a health exam for my visa. The only medical requirement we had to secure was the Q-Fever vaccine once we arrived and got settled in Australia. However, I'm not sure if there are new requirements due to COVID.

Did you have the required health exam performed before you knew you were accepted?
Mine never prompted me for proof of one and I was honest saying I hadn’t completed one...still got granted everything I needed.

I brought 2 dogs over from the US. It was a 7 month process with all the testing. I had to head over to Australia before my dogs could come - they stayed with my in laws.

My husband also came over with me but he got a job transfer with the company he was already working at. They sponsored him for a visa. A few of my classmates have sponsored their partners through their student visa, I’m just not 100% how to do it.

@DrinkWater95 @Jflo and any other students,

1) Have you or anyone you know needed to use the healthcare services in Australia? What was the availability of healthcare like?

2) Are you allowed to use university facilities (like the gym) and participate in campus clubs and societies?

3) Are there veterinary clubs/societies for different specialties?

5) Can students work or shadow at the vet hospital?

Thanks!!

@DrinkWater95 @Jflo and any other students,

1) Have you or anyone you know needed to use the healthcare services in Australia? What was the availability of healthcare like?

2) Are you allowed to use university facilities (like the gym) and participate in campus clubs and societies?

3) Are there veterinary clubs/societies for different specialties?

5) Can students work or shadow at the vet hospital?

Thanks!!
1) I have personally gotten some ultrasounds, X-rays, and bloodwork done. It has all been covered under the overseas student healthcare. I went through the uni doctors. The only thing that hasn’t been fully covered is medication, but it’s still relatively affordable.

2) Unfortunately, the gym is not included. I’m not 100% sure how much it is either. I am apart of clubs and societies, but they all are associated with the vet school. I’m sure you can participate in broader clubs as well if you wanted.

3) There are clubs for many of the specialties, but not all! You can always approach a specialist for support in starting a group yourself if there isn’t one - a great resume builders. There are the following clubs that I’m aware of: surgical society, wildlife society, aquatic society, radiology interest group, pathology interest group, clinical pathology interest group, equine interest group. There are some other new groups that were just getting started before COVID started, but they are kind of on hold. They are internal medicine and reproduction interest group.

4)Students can definitely work at the hospital! There is an option to do a live in position as well. I’m not sure if they allow shadowing though.

1) I have personally gotten some ultrasounds, X-rays, and bloodwork done. It has all been covered under the overseas student healthcare. I went through the uni doctors. The only thing that hasn’t been fully covered is medication, but it’s still relatively affordable.

2) Unfortunately, the gym is not included. I’m not 100% sure how much it is either. I am apart of clubs and societies, but they all are associated with the vet school. I’m sure you can participate in broader clubs as well if you wanted.

3) There are clubs for many of the specialties, but not all! You can always approach a specialist for support in starting a group yourself if there isn’t one - a great resume builders. There are the following clubs that I’m aware of: surgical society, wildlife society, aquatic society, radiology interest group, pathology interest group, clinical pathology interest group, equine interest group. There are some other new groups that were just getting started before COVID started, but they are kind of on hold. They are internal medicine and reproduction interest group.

4)Students can definitely work at the hospital! There is an option to do a live in position as well. I’m not sure if they allow shadowing though.
This is really helpful!! Thank you!!

Are there particular vet clubs that you really enjoyed being a part of and would recommend?

How common is it for students to work at the vet hospital? Is it easy/hard to get a position there?

thanks!

Are there particular vet clubs that you really enjoyed being a part of and would recommend?

How common is it for students to work at the vet hospital? Is it easy/hard to get a position there?

thanks!
I think it highly depends on your interests. Most clubs are good at getting guest speakers and doing interactive things. I know the pathology and radiology groups get specialists to come in and go over cases with the students - I find these super helpful!

I also forgot to mention a club called veterinary society (vetsoc). They’re more of a social club and put together events. A lot of the cohort will be involved in this as well.

Not sure how hard it is to get a job at the hospital. I believe they require some nursing experience.

Hi Everyone! If you have already committed to USYD, there is a group on Facebook called USYD DVM class of 2025! Come join!

Anyone having trouble finding the textbooks for VETS6104? I found the Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy 4th edition, but can't find the 4th edition of Miller's Anatomy of the Dog and only a single used copy (from a seller with no reviews) of the Physiology of Domestic Animals 2nd edition.

Hi Everyone! If you have already committed to USYD, there is a group on Facebook called USYD DVM class of 2025! Come join!
Hi! Some people from other DVM cohorts have tried to get into this FB group to provide valuable information. You would technically be c/o 2024 but I think you’ve figured that out because I can’t find a c/o 2025.

Anyone having trouble finding the textbooks for VETS6104? I found the Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy 4th edition, but can't find the 4th edition of Miller's Anatomy of the Dog and only a single used copy (from a seller with no reviews) of the Physiology of Domestic Animals 2nd edition.
Don’t buy text books! Other DVM cohorts have a stock pile of pdf textbooks that we can share with you guys. Most professors don’t really care if you have the text either. A lot of them say all you need to know is on their PowerPoints/extra reading they provide to you at no cost. I haven’t bought a single textbook since starting vet school. Some people will buy/rent from the library though if they’re more keen on a hard copy.

Hi! Some people from other DVM cohorts have tried to get into this FB group to provide valuable information. You would technically be c/o 2024 but I think you’ve figured that out because I can’t find a c/o 2025.
Hi! I did not make it, I came across it! But yes, the person who made it is a current BVB/DVM student and they ended up changing it. There are currently 2 groups called USYD DVM c/o 2024.

Also, I've noticed that a bunch of students completing their student visa app now have been getting approved within 10 mins of their application and did not have to do the health exam to be considered for the visa. For some reason, this was not the case for me. I applied for my visa almost 4 weeks ago and have not yet been approved. Instead, they have requested that I do a health exam in order to be considered. Does anyone know if this selection is random? Does anyone know what could've flagged it? Is anyone else who applied for their student visa in the same boat as me?

Hi! I did not make it, I came across it! But yes, the person who made it is a current BVB/DVM student and they ended up changing it. There are currently 2 groups called USYD DVM c/o 2024.

Also, I've noticed that a bunch of students completing their student visa app now have been getting approved within 10 mins of their application and did not have to do the health exam to be considered for the visa. For some reason, this was not the case for me. I applied for my visa almost 4 weeks ago and have not yet been approved. Instead, they have requested that I do a health exam in order to be considered. Does anyone know if this selection is random? Does anyone know what could've flagged it? Is anyone else who applied for their student visa in the same boat as me?
I had to do a health exam. I think my cohort had the same issue. I think we figured out it was because we ticked a box saying we were health professionals or something like that. I think that only applies to human medicine though. I’m not sure if you can amend your application. I ended up just doing the health exam but it was expensive (like ~$500 I think).

• Wow