University of Sydney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unisarah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the prereqs for UofSydney? The website doesn't really list them explicitly. Also, I have read on SDN and heard that US schools take into consideration for nontrads that they have some life experience as well as looking at the most recent GPA. Is this the case abroad, or is it a straight numbers game since there is no interview process?

Members don't see this ad.

The University Admissions Centre website says that Chemistry, Mathmatics and Physics are the pre-reqs and Biology is recommended. Remember in Australia this is an undergrad course so no university level courses will be required as pre-reqs.

The UAC page with USyd specs is here: http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/usyd/512100.html

I doubt they will consider you if you don't meet the minimum GPA (I think it's 3.0). I would guess it's more of a "numbers game" and that your GPA and transcript will be the most important factor for them deciding. I applied there over the summer and got accepted and I had a 3.75. I also sent them 2 LORs, and details of my work experience (which isn't a whole lot- like 800 hrs or something). But I am sure the grades were more important because they don't even require a whole lot of work experience.

If you are looking for an Aussie school that takes maturity into consideration, I would look at Murdoch. I am pretty sure I've heard that if you are a bit older they take experiences rather than just grades into consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt they will consider you if you don't meet the minimum GPA (I think it's 3.0). I would guess it's more of a "numbers game" and that your GPA and transcript will be the most important factor for them deciding. I applied there over the summer and got accepted and I had a 3.75. I also sent them 2 LORs, and details of my work experience (which isn't a whole lot- like 800 hrs or something). But I am sure the grades were more important because they don't even require a whole lot of work experience.

If you are looking for an Aussie school that takes maturity into consideration, I would look at Murdoch. I am pretty sure I've heard that if you are a bit older they take experiences rather than just grades into consideration.

hopefulvet, did you apply through a service (such as australearn) or by yourself? When was the deadline to apply for sydney?

hey, I applied on my own. The application itself is really simple. It's literally one sheet of paper that you print out and mail in along with an official transcript (and then basically you can mail in anything else that you feel will strengthen your chances like LORs a personal statement, test scores, and definitely a resume). The app is available on their website. I can't remember when the deadline was exactly, because I knew I was applying wayyy in advance. I applied in June for entry in March 2010, since this March I will be in my last semester of undergrad. But I am guessing that the deadline is sept-octoberish for entry into the following Feb/March. You can email them your questions too and they will get back to you fairly quickly. I don't know how much help Australearn is for Uni Sydney Vet school in particular. I think they would be more useful for a semester study abroad in Australia or something.

Also keep in mind that Sydney is rolling admissions. So the sooner you apply they better, because it's a popular program and spots will fill up. I expect they will fill up even faster this year since it is now AVMA accredited (making it more attractive to US students).

Thanks. I have a good GPA and I'm not worried about that aspect. However, I wondered how they view the nontraditional student.

Generally speaking, the Australasian schools view non-trads/mature-aged students favorably. Many australian students in the past have chosen vet med because 'they tested into it,' some of our professors included. There is also what seems to be a quite high professional drop out rate for australian grads. That is, there are a lot of career changers.

I think they are looking to change that and therefore want people who are proven to succeed in school and know what they want to do in life. Overall they aren't really going to you better or worse than traditional applicants. They do however have a set quota of international students that they accept (don't ask me a number on that...). Based on that, they should take a more holistic approach in your application assuming you meet whatever pre-reqs they want, inclusive of GPA.

For the record, Sydney has been accredited since 2005; Melbourne followed in 2006 and Murdoch has had it since 2002 (and we are working on what they are calling a global accreditation, one single visit to satisfy all the accreditation boards). Demand has not seemed to increase quite yet, from my perspective anyhow. Moving internationally is not something that a good chunk of the pre-vet population is willing and/or able to do so (not that I'm knocking those who are unable/unwilling, life gets in the way of things and it isn't for everyone)