University of Texas CoP Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those waitlisters:
I emailed Dr. Wilcox with the following questions:
I am wondering if the number of people denied corresponds to the number
of people accepted from the waitlist. Also, will waitlisters be
notified for every change that occurs to the list, or only
periodically? Are there certain dates (such as the date by which
admissions offers must be accepted or denied) that waitlisters should
anticipate? I was wondering if UT CoP received more
out of state applicants this year due to the adoption of PharmCAS to
your application process. From your experience, and if the admissions
committee did receive more out of state applicants, do you expect the
number of denied applications to rise from the past years?

Dr. Wilcox's response:
Generally the number declined corresponds roughly to the number accepted from the wait list. [Sometimes a few people decline before the WL goes out.]
2] You should be notified each time the WL changes.
3] First, admit decisions are not based on residence. 18% of the interview offers were out of state and 10% of the class offers were out of state.
4] Historically, we have not had fewer than 13 declines during my tenure. HOWEVER, the number of initial offers this cycle does exceed the expected class of size of 125.
5] Thus, given the above plus the new ball game of PharmCAS I am not sure what will be happening with the WL.

Now the real question: what class size are they wanting? Is the waitlist active now, or only when the class size sinks below 125? If someone would email Wilcox with this question (I feel like I've used up all my questions with UT) that would be excellent!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Wilcox's response:
Generally the number declined corresponds roughly to the number accepted from the wait list. [Sometimes a few people decline before the WL goes out.]
3] First, admit decisions are not based on residence. 18% of the interview offers were out of state and 10% of the class offers were out of state.
4] Historically, we have not had fewer than 13 declines during my tenure. HOWEVER, the number of initial offers this cycle does exceed the expected class of size of 125.
5] Thus, given the above plus the new ball game of PharmCAS I am not sure what will be happening with the WL.

Now the real question: what class size are they wanting? Is the waitlist active now, or only when the class size sinks below 125? If someone would email Wilcox with this question (I feel like I've used up all my questions with UT) that would be excellent!

Hmm ... I guess Texas is so big that 10% of offers to out of state is large, but most of the top schools are 50/50 (this is what I was told at my out-of-state interviews when I asked) for their offers and around 65% in-state to 35% out-of-state when all is said and done. This drop from the 50/50 offers is to be expected obviously due to tuition costs of going out-of-state.

They are wanting 125 if experience and his response of "expected class size" means anything. The past four years, which is as far back as I went in the statistics, possessed 125 students actually attending each year. The reports would say something like 140 accepted (including the initial offers and those from the wait list), 125 admitted. I didn't realize they accepted more than 125 initially, but I guess they count on people declining, which makes sense with what the poster yesterday said ... how the wait list didn't move all that much. In other words, let's say they accept 135 initially. The first 10 people to decline does absolutely nothing to the wait list, b/c UT wants 125. If five more people drop, then the wait list starts to move, until UT gets back to 125. Therefore, my guess would be that the wait list only becomes active once UT dips below 125.

For those waitlisters:
I emailed Dr. Wilcox with the following questions:
I am wondering if the number of people denied corresponds to the number
of people accepted from the waitlist. Also, will waitlisters be
notified for every change that occurs to the list, or only
periodically? Are there certain dates (such as the date by which
admissions offers must be accepted or denied) that waitlisters should
anticipate? I was wondering if UT CoP received more
out of state applicants this year due to the adoption of PharmCAS to
your application process. From your experience, and if the admissions
committee did receive more out of state applicants, do you expect the
number of denied applications to rise from the past years?

Dr. Wilcox's response:

I spoke with UT they told me 135 offers have been given. Since I'm first on the waitlist I'm number 136. They said all I need is for one person to reject the offer and I would be in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with UT they told me 135 offers have been given. Since I'm first on the waitlist I'm number 136. They said all I need is for one person to reject the offer and I would be in.

So I guess they actually increased the class size this year?!? :cool:

That's odd, last year during an interview they told us the class size was limited to 125 because of the physical capacity of one of the lecture rooms.
Maybe they remodeled to allow more seats?

Congratulations to everyone who got in!

As for myself, I guess I'd be fine with a rejection given that my interview experience was somewhat underwhelming (mostly my own fault). If anything, I'll take with me the fond memories of my undergrad days at UT as I embark on the next 4 years at UH (or possibly Texas Tech if I get accepted there and change my mind).:p
Ah, one bad interview doesn't make or break your career. Remember the story of my interview last year?

One way or another, you're sure to make a great pharmacist!

That's odd, last year during an interview they told us the class size was limited to 125 because of the physical capacity of one of the lecture rooms.
Maybe they remodeled to allow more seats?

Doubtful ... I would ask Dr. Wilcox on this one for those wanting to know to get it from the highest of sources. He still said they "expected 125," and every year past points to 125, so it's highly unlikely they would up that total to 135.

I don't think they did. That's what doesn't make sense.

Every school takes a greater number of students than what the actual class size will be. They account for some students turning down the offer and going to other schools.

Every school takes a greater number of students than what the actual class size will be. They account for some students turning down the offer and going to other schools.

I think we all know this. Our question is, say if #5 on the waitlist, are we in after 5 people turn down, or after 15? (135-(10 denials)=125 - (5 more denials) = Spots 1-5 on waitlist admitted.

I think we all know this. Our question is, say if #5 on the waitlist, are we in after 5 people turn down, or after 15? (135-(10 denials)=125 - (5 more denials) = Spots 1-5 on waitlist admitted.

My guess would be 15.

If you haven't heard back at all, chances are you've been rejected. Emailed Dr. Wilcox... this is so crushing and I'm just so lost now :(

i know dr wilcox has been pushing to up the class size to 135; that's what he told me when i met with him in august to discuss my reapplication. so i guess he finally got it. and if he told the #1 person on the waitlist that when 1 person declines then he's in, that makes it seem like they are having a class of 135. guess it was just decided and that's why he said "expected" 125

Members don't see this ad :)
i know dr wilcox has been pushing to up the class size to 135; that's what he told me when i met with him in august to discuss my reapplication. so i guess he finally got it. and if he told the #1 person on the waitlist that when 1 person declines then he's in, that makes it seem like they are having a class of 135. guess it was just decided and that's why he said "expected" 125

This is what I seem to think, too. I feel like I've worn out my welcome with all the questions I've emailed to Dr. Wilcox. Will someone email and ask him what size class they want, 125 or 135? :D

- Dpdominguez never suggested that it was Dr. Wilcox who gave the information out, which is why I suggested contacting him to make sure this was the case, b/c he's clearly the person to go to for relevant information.
- Pushing for 135 is fantastic, provided you have the physical capacity to do so. As another member stated, UT is typically held to 125 due to the dimensions of a classroom.
- I don't understand the premise that by saying "expected" 125 that he's hinting at a different number. Maybe I'm dense, but saying expected 125 still hints that the school is aiming for 125 (or at the most ... expecting that number), and the only way this wouldn't occur is if a very small number of those initially accepted rejected the offer. They are going on years and years of statistics that say at the very least, 13 will reject, so handing out 135 is safe. We've already established that schools offer more than the expected/desired class size, b/c they know they will receive declines that will bring the number down. Why would he say "expected" 125 and hand out only 135 if they actually want 135? 135 out of 135 will not accept, so therefore, there's no reason not to increase that number of initial offers to 140, etc.
- I think it's best that we stop speculating. It either gives false hope or crushes hope. It's best if we have actual physical evidence from a named source like pab submitted. We're all guilty of it, of course, b/c people are asking questions that only the admission committee can really answer. If you want a true answer, I'd suggest contacting Dr. Wilcox and then helping others by posting his response below. BTW, don't feel like you are harassing him if you email him more than one time. As many have said, he's a great guy and truly wants to help. If, on the other hand, you want info on housing, or what we think about UT vs UH, etc, then by all means, ask away ... we love to talk and get to know people.

- Dpdominguez never suggested that it was Dr. Wilcox who gave the information out, which is why I suggested contacting him to make sure this was the case, b/c he's clearly the person to go to for relevant information.
- Pushing for 135 is fantastic, provided you have the physical capacity to do so. As another member stated, UT is typically held to 125 due to the dimensions of a classroom.
- I don't understand the premise that by saying "expected" 125 that he's hinting at a different number. Maybe I'm dense, but saying expected 125 still hints that the school is aiming for 125 (or at the most ... expecting that number), and the only way this wouldn't occur is if a very small number of those initially accepted rejected the offer. They are going on years and years of statistics that say at the very least, 13 will reject, so handing out 135 is safe. We've already established that schools offer more than the expected/desired class size, b/c they know they will receive declines that will bring the number down. Why would he say "expected" 125 and hand out only 135 if they actually want 135? 135 out of 135 will not accept, so therefore, there's no reason not to increase that number of initial offers to 140, etc.
- I think it's best that we stop speculating. It either gives false hope or crushes hope. It's best if we have actual physical evidence from a named source like pab submitted. We're all guilty of it, of course, b/c people are asking questions that only the admission committee can really answer. If you want a true answer, I'd suggest contacting Dr. Wilcox and then helping others by posting his response below. BTW, don't feel like you are harassing him if you email him more than one time. As many have said, he's a great guy and truly wants to help. If, on the other hand, you want info on housing, or what we think about UT vs UH, etc, then by all means, ask away ... we love to talk and get to know people.
Just to clear things up I did contact him through email. I also just found out that the class stays at 125.

From Wilcox:

The WL becomes active when number seats < 125

If you get an interview, you have an awesome chance. So start practicing now
This is really off topic but at the bottom of your post it has all of the places you were accepted/Interviewed.. For Texas a&m it just says interview, were you not accepted into their program as well? Just seems strange to me that you would be accepted into all of those other schools but not a&m. Off interview or something?

Anyone looking for housing/roommates yet? I'm told the housing market in Austin is pretty competitive.

Anyone looking for housing/roommates yet? I'm told the housing market in Austin is pretty competitive.

Rent definitely isn't as cheap as it is in College Station that's for sure. During my undergrad I usually paid around $600-$700 for my share of rent. Granted I lived in West Campus/North Campus, but there's a lot of good areas to look.

Rent definitely isn't as cheap as it is in College Station that's for sure. During my undergrad I usually paid around $600-$700 for my share of rent. Granted I lived in West Campus/North Campus, but there's a lot of good areas to look.

Haha, ya, just looking through prices in Austin has made my jaw drop. I lived in a 3/2, with 2 roommates, and paid 300$/month + utilities for a 1100 sq ft apartment. It was awesome.

If you guys have those sheets we were given at the interviews, the ones that list popular neighborhoods in Austin.

West Campus and North Campus are probably the most convenient, and thus the most expensive places to live.
Riverside is a very popular (Cheap) choice, but the area is also a bit more run down than most neighborhoods in Austin.
Far West is relatively inexpensive, while not being nearly as run down as Riverside; it is also quite popular among students.

A good college friend of my wife's drew up a popular "Judgmental Map of Austin"
Not that it should influence your decision on where to look, but it is funny to look over and get a sense of where's what in Austin.
http://nextround.net/upcoming/thumbs/2012/06/11/The-Judgmental-Map-of-Austin-full.jpg

If I can give one piece of advice...DO NOT live on Riverside. Yeah it's cheap but you will have your car get broken into guaranteed. It's a good choice if you are really strapped for money but I would never recommend it.

If you guys have those sheets we were given at the interviews, the ones that list popular neighborhoods in Austin.

West Campus and North Campus are probably the most convenient, and thus the most expensive places to live.
Riverside is a very popular (Cheap) choice, but the area is also a bit more run down than most neighborhoods in Austin.
Far West is relatively inexpensive, while not being nearly as run down as Riverside; it is also quite popular among students.

A good college friend of my wife's drew up a popular "Judgmental Map of Austin"
Not that it should influence your decision on where to look, but it is funny to look over and get a sense of where's what in Austin.
http://nextround.net/upcoming/thumbs/2012/06/11/The-Judgmental-Map-of-Austin-full.jpg

This map is hilariously awesome!

Is the traffic in Austin bad enough that it would be worth living closer to campus?

Traffic in Austin is manageable if you plan it right. When I lived in south Round Rock, I commuted about 20 minutes down I-35 to UT every day. Living in South Austin it's roughly the same up Mo-Pac.
However, avoiding rush hour on MoPac or I-35 is critical.
Rush Hour on MoPac (Loop 1) is between 7:30am and 10:00am Then again between 4:00pm and 7:00pm
Rush Hour on I-35 is between 7:00am and 11:00pm then again between 4:00pm and 8:00pm

Both of these major roadways become parking lots peaking in the rush hours. If you leave early you're golden, and then just plan to spend some time at the library or Starbucks to beat out the return traffic.

If you absolutely cannot deal with that kind of traffic and need to always be able to travel within the rush hours, plan on living closer to campus.

Austin Metro/UT shuttle buses (All free to students with ID) run regularly to each of the Popular neighborhoods, and while they're subject to the same rush hour shenanigans, you can at least study while commuting.

If I can give one piece of advice...DO NOT live on Riverside. Yeah it's cheap but you will have your car get broken into guaranteed. It's a good choice if you are really strapped for money but I would never recommend it.

This is actually not a given ... I lived there for two years before moving to north campus, b/c I'm a guy and it's not like we care about luxury when it comes to housing, and I never had an issue with my car getting broken into. I drove a new bmw too, so please don't come with preconceived notions. Is it the nicest area in Austin? Absolutely not, but I never found it uncomfortable or dangerous either. Once you get past the first half-mile (or so) from 75, it clears up pretty nicely to the point where decent neighborhoods exist after the apartments. North campus was by far the best place for me, b/c it was the quietest, while being walkable (for many) to campus. I would avoid West Campus, unless you're looking for some partying and/or don't mind noise when studying. Living on the other side of mopac is actually nice, but mopac, like 35, can be an absolute beast at the wrong time of day. My advice, live in walking distance or near a bus (and bring study materials) and you'll be fine no matter where you live.

Traffic in Austin is manageable if you plan it right. When I lived in south Round Rock, I commuted about 20 minutes down I-35 to UT every day. Living in South Austin it's roughly the same up Mo-Pac.
However, avoiding rush hour on MoPac or I-35 is critical.
Rush Hour on MoPac (Loop 1) is between 7:30am and 10:00am Then again between 4:00pm and 7:00pm
Rush Hour on I-35 is between 7:00am and 11:00pm then again between 4:00pm and 8:00pm

Both of these major roadways become parking lots peaking in the rush hours. If you leave early you're golden, and then just plan to spend some time at the library or Starbucks to beat out the return traffic.

If you absolutely cannot deal with that kind of traffic and need to always be able to travel within the rush hours, plan on living closer to campus.

Austin Metro/UT shuttle buses (All free to students with ID) run regularly to each of the Popular neighborhoods, and while they're subject to the same rush hour shenanigans, you can at least study while commuting.

Bingo, this is great advice ... TAKE IT! If you don't mind spending time on campus, you can always miss traffic, in which case, everywhere becomes manageable. If for some reason you have to be certain places, get home, etc, during rush hour, live on campus and good luck to you.

Rule number 131: always have a travel size deodorant handy. If you are not aware, Austin gets unpleasantly hot and you will sweat when walking to campus, walking to classes, walking five feet between two building = you will stink. Seeing as how we will see a lot of each other, you don't want to be "that guy/girl" who everybody is afraid to see/sit by every day.

A good price for a 1/1 in Austin is around $900-$1000 in the most convenient area for students which is West Campus. This does not include parking, utilities, etc.

Just a caution to everyone that the majority of the popular apartments in West Campus are already full for next fall. People began signing back in October-November... it's crazy here!

Texasaggie2012: I want to start looking, but not until the Facebook group is created. I want to room with someone is the pharmacy program as well that way I know they will be as busy as I will be! Oh and I agree, in CS I payed $420 in a 3/3.5 with two car garage! It's so much more expensive in Austin..

Last edited:
Ah, one bad interview doesn't make or break your career. Remember the story of my interview last year?

One way or another, you're sure to make a great pharmacist!
Haha, yes I agree. I'm very glad the second time indeed turned out to be a charm for you!;)

It's only too bad I won't get to be your classmate. But hey, pharmacy is a small world. Best wishes to you.:)

This is actually not a given ... I lived there for two years before moving to north campus, b/c I'm a guy and it's not like we care about luxury when it comes to housing, and I never had an issue with my car getting broken into. I drove a new bmw too, so please don't come with preconceived notions. Is it the nicest area in Austin? Absolutely not, but I never found it uncomfortable or dangerous either. Once you get past the first half-mile (or so) from 75, it clears up pretty nicely to the point where decent neighborhoods exist after the apartments. North campus was by far the best place for me, b/c it was the quietest, while being walkable (for many) to campus. I would avoid West Campus, unless you're looking for some partying and/or don't mind noise when studying. Living on the other side of mopac is actually nice, but mopac, like 35, can be an absolute beast at the wrong time of day. My advice, live in walking distance or near a bus (and bring study materials) and you'll be fine no matter where you live.

When your girlfriend's car gets broken into twice in a span of three weeks (The Ballpark Apartments) and somebody gets shot in the parking lot of Longhorn Landing (now called the Zone i believe)...then yeah I have some preconceived notions about Riverside. I'm not saying it is the worst place in Austin but yeah I don't promote living here.

When I first moved to Austin I used this website http://www.utstudent.com/ to find apartments that were convenient to get to school. It's nice because you can see where the location of all the apartments within walking distance or on the UT shuttle are. I choose the NW part of the map, its called Far West, because its cheaper to live there and the shuttle is really steady, about every 5 to 10 minutes they make stops. Now, I live in North Austin and I just drive down to the Far West area and park on the street and ride the shuttle to school.

When your girlfriend's car gets broken into twice in a span of three weeks (The Ballpark Apartments) and somebody gets shot in the parking lot of Longhorn Landing (now called the Zone i believe)...then yeah I have some preconceived notions about Riverside. I'm not saying it is the worst place in Austin but yeah I don't promote living here.

No need to get defensive. Saying "DO NOT" vs not recommending/not promoting are two different things. Your girlfriend and you had a bad experience, so not recommending is logical (and a good thing for new students to consider), but you can have bad experiences anywhere. In the past few years, people were murdered in West Campus, so don't live there. When I lived in North Campus, my roommates tires were slashed, so don't live there. A car was stolen in Far West, so don't live there. Darn, we're out of places... Move to Round Rock ... Oh wait, I saw a news story about sexual assault the other night. Crime happens = it sucks = move where you are comfortable (not where we tell you is comfortable ... visit), but know that crime still happens and be aware of your surroundings at all times. All this information is our opinion. For every negative experience, you can find five great ones. Clearly this guy had a bad experience (or his GF did) ... Check mark in bad column. I was just saying that I had a good experience ... Check mark in good column. Do not let one negative opinion determine where you live, bc you will find a negative opinion about every area. In general, Riverside is cheaper, not luxurious, and in a more shady area of town.

Any recommendation for a good decent cheap housing for UT pharmacy school? like west campus, north, and etc. Also, I need to find a guy roommate for the fall. Has anyone found anything decent and is needing a roommate? This will be a great way to study together and etc. Let me know and msg me.

Thanks.

I posted this in last year's thread too, figured I would re-iterate:

Some things to be aware of if you've never lived in Austin before:
  • Texas Relays. Don't go downtown during the Texas Relays, just don't do it.
  • For good New York Pizza, go to HomeSlice on Elizabeth and Congress
  • For a great time at the movies go to any Alamo DraftHouse.
  • And under no circumstances should you ever follow GPS/MapQuest/GoogleMaps directions to Austin-Bergstrom Airport (it will take you all over town) Just take Mopac/IH-35/US-183 south to Route 71, and take that east. Follow the road signs.

Last edited:
I posted this in last year's thread too, figured I would re-iterate:

Some things to be aware of if you've never lived in Austin before:
  • Texas Relays. Don't go downtown during the Texas Relays, just don't do it.
  • For good New York Pizza, go to HomeSlice on Elizabeth and Congress
  • For the best steak you will ever eat PERIOD, drive 30min south to Lockhart and eat at the world famous "Salt Lick"
  • For a great time at the movies go to any Alamo DraftHouse.
  • And under no circumstances should you ever follow GPS/MapQuest/GoogleMaps directions to Austin-Bergstrom Airport (it will take you all over town) Just take Mopac/IH-35/US-183 south to Route 71, and take that east. Follow the road signs.

two things:

1. saying to not go downtown for Texas Relays, specifically, makes you sound like a racist. if you don't think they should go downtown during Relays, they shouldn't go downtown during any festival, especially SXSW, because it's just as busy.

2. the Salt Lick isn't in Lockhart; it's near Dripping Springs, in Driftwood. and you don't get steak there -- they don't even *serve* steak. they serve barbeque'd beef, pork, and turkey, including some pretty good brisket. the food's good but rarely worth the drive. check out Franklin's if you want "the best" brisket in America (caution: the wait is a pain, but it's close to downtown and it's fun to bring a 24 pack and have a tailgate while waiting in line at 10 in the morning); alternatively, check out the soon-to-be-re-opened J. Mueller's that'll be on the east side. alternatively, head to Lockhart for some ridiculously high quality brisket from any of the local shops downtown (++ Kreuz).

also, HomeSlice is great, but check out some of the other local shops for great pies -- Via 313 is hands down my favorite in town, and House Pizzeria is great with some inventive toppings.

Being downtown durring the Texas Relays has nothing to do with race.
My wife was once nearly trampled to death downtown durring the relays because someone pulled a gun on someone else.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
two things:

1. saying to not go downtown for Texas Relays, specifically, makes you sound like a racist. if you don't think they should go downtown during Relays, they shouldn't go downtown during any festival, especially SXSW, because it's just as busy.

So, you're saying only black people make it to the Texas Relays? Who's the racist?

two things:

2. the Salt Lick isn't in Lockhart; it's near Dripping Springs, in Driftwood. and you don't get steak there -- they don't even *serve* steak. they serve barbeque'd beef, pork, and turkey, including some pretty good brisket. the food's good but rarely worth the drive. check out Franklin's if you want "the best" brisket in America (caution: the wait is a pain, but it's close to downtown and it's fun to bring a 24 pack and have a tailgate while waiting in line at 10 in the morning); alternatively, check out the soon-to-be-re-opened J. Mueller's that'll be on the east side. alternatively, head to Lockhart for some ridiculously high quality brisket from any of the local shops downtown (++ Kreuz).

also, HomeSlice is great, but check out some of the other local shops for great pies -- Via 313 is hands down my favorite in town, and House Pizzeria is great with some inventive toppings.

uhohwhatever isn't a particularly accurate username ... you sure didn't let a seemingly innocuous statement go. Are we really pulling out the race card on SDN? It would be nice if we lived peacefully and assumed people weren't racist for writing "downtown is busy." That wasn't a racist comment at all to those of us not reading too much into a sentence, but having said that, you are correct in that there are other times to avoid downtown. Forgive him for the oversight ... make love, not war. Salt Lick BBQ (all you can eat) is worth the drive at least once.

Nobody can claim our thread isn't entertaining ...

I was just wondering if anyone has moved up on the waitlist or heard any news about it. Thanks!

I was just wondering if anyone has moved up on the waitlist or heard any news about it. Thanks!

As Pab mentioned at the top of page 6, Dr. Wilcox said you should be notified each time the WL changes. Ten accepted students have to reject to get to 125, and then any further rejections would result in WL movement. As of now, we have not received our official letters, so no need for any action. Expect business to pick up after our deposit due date. I'm sure we'll disclose date when we find out from mailed letter/packet.

two things:

So, you're saying only black people make it to the Texas Relays? Who's the racist?

recognizing racism != being racist.

I've been in Austin for 8 years, and *every single year* people freak out over Texas Relays. no one wants to go downtown because "there's an increase in crime" (hint: there's not, http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/austin-welcomes-texas-relays-visitors-officials-sa/nRrdq/ ). everyone comments how loud and dangerous it gets (NOTHING compared to SXSW). everyone has some anecdote about a friend of theirs getting beaten up or having a gun flashed at them or some horrible violent act that seemingly only happened because it was Texas Relays. beneath pretty much every comment is racism.

the poster went out of his/her way to specifically reference Texas Relays and made that the *number 1* thing individuals coming to school in Austin should know about.

really? the absolute most important thing to tell people coming to school in Austin is to not go downtown during Texas Relays?

seriously?

No... It sticks out of my mind because my wife had an incident during Texas Relays downtown, as I already mentioned.

There are too many things that are exciting to do in Austin that do not include the Texas Relays. Much too many to list in one post.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using SDN Mobile.

Last edited:
recognizing racism != being racist.

I've been in Austin for 8 years, and *every single year* people freak out over Texas Relays. no one wants to go downtown because "there's an increase in crime" (hint: there's not, http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/austin-welcomes-texas-relays-visitors-officials-sa/nRrdq/ ). everyone comments how loud and dangerous it gets (NOTHING compared to SXSW). everyone has some anecdote about a friend of theirs getting beaten up or having a gun flashed at them or some horrible violent act that seemingly only happened because it was Texas Relays. beneath pretty much every comment is racism.

the poster went out of his/her way to specifically reference Texas Relays and made that the *number 1* thing individuals coming to school in Austin should know about.

really? the absolute most important thing to tell people coming to school in Austin is to not go downtown during Texas Relays?

seriously?

You didn't recognize racism at all. You are assuming racism and labeling him without actually knowing him. In actuality, as Pab mentioned, you're the one that came off more narrow-minded about race, portraying the relays as a sporting event that only certain races take part in. Everything that followed in this post was complete exaggeration. "everyone says this ... everyone does that ... it's all racist." Come down from the throne and try giving people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he just meant there's more people on 6th drinking a little bit too much, so it gets dangerous. Seems like a more plausible explanation than your "everyone is throwing out racist comments" belief. Morgan Freeman was once asked how to end racism. His answer? Stop talking about it ... stop making everything about race. Jumping right to the race card is ignorant and you have no basis for your argument. Saying he didn't mention other festivals proves nothing. Also, he didn't make a numbered list about Austin with a precise order ... It was bulleted, as he was just running through things as he went. This is a pharmacy school thread. Put this topic to rest, bc it doesn't belong here.

Rule #1 = cardio

Guys lets talk about creating the official fb group of 2017 or apartment/roomate housing haha. Lets just drop the racism topic. Any ideas for housing???

West campus, north campus? The quarters apartment? What would yall recommend. I need all the 411. haha