University of Toronto, class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm about to make someone on the wait list realllllly happy!! :):) unfortunately I will be turning down my u of t offer... Would have been an awesome experience though!

May I ask why you're rejecting?

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first time applying for OSAP, does anyone know how long it takes for OSAP to get back to you?

This is my first time applying for OSAP, does anyone know how long it takes for OSAP to get back to you?

Absolutely forever v__v hahaha

Your funding amount should show up on your OSAP account sometime later this month, probably. They're quite inconsistent to me. Money used to come in late September, early October, but that was when you had to sign papers at school. This time they directly deposit it into your account without signing so... hopefully it'd be sooner than usual.

Members don't see this ad :)
About to make someone on the waiting list very happy. Decided to decline my offer.

for those who are declining, whats the reasoning?

I think I need to do more research I the future of the profession before I jump right into it. At the moment I'm not convinced that it is right for me. So I decided to take a year to fully explore all my options and go from there. Also I think waterloo would be a better fit for me. I find the coop could help me out financially even if it won't be a whole lot, it's still something

I think I need to do more research I the future of the profession before I jump right into it. At the moment I'm not convinced that it is right for me. So I decided to take a year to fully explore all my options and go from there. Also I think waterloo would be a better fit for me. I find the coop could help me out financially even if it won't be a whole lot, it's still something

How are you gonna do research for it?
Ask pharmacist?or google forums?

Reality is that Toronto and close towns are saturated, 35$/hr
Saturation reduces at Barrie and more to North and its 45$ and above there

It is still possible to get Job in TO

It is still better than science bachelor that gets 20$/hr and saturation

Does anyone know how much experience is needed for Waterloo admission
Basically to be competitive what do you have to do and for how long?

thanks

Work in a pharmacy. You'll need a pharmacist's reference to be competitive.

how many years?
In what position?
how many refs

i think this topic is more suited for the waterloo thread, but i think what they're looking for over there is more about what you learned through your experiences rather than how long you worked at a pharmacy for. i personally spent only 3 months with a pharmacist. i did not work, but rather initiated my own pharmacy-based film project at the hospital which featured many types of health care professionals from the hospital giving medication-based advice. it was eventually shown during Canadian Patient Safety Week. one of the things they mention in the interview invite is to showcase your ability to be creative.

if you've volunteered at a hospital or health care setting, start with your connections there. i'm sure they will be willing to refer you to a solid pharmacist. work hard and i'm sure you will succeed! :)

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am still not 100% sure how much I want this profession and my pharmacist even advised me to take more time to browse other options before fully committing to pharmacy, which will be my job for the rest of my life. I am still in my 3rd year and I wouldn't be at a disadvantage than anyone else if I make a decision after fully considering other options. I have some friends studying pharmacy at U of T and a few of them told me that they sort of regret diving right into this field too soon in their undergrad years - two of them are actually planning to drop out of U of T pharmacy this year and apply to dental schools (of course, they are still "plans" since dental schools are relatively more competitive to get in). I wouldn't want to discourage pharmacy students though, as my point is that since U of T pharmacy requires only 2 years of undergrad, most people don't have enough chance to see what is really suitable for them (I also have a friend at U of T dentistry who dropped out after only the 1st term to prepare for med school in a foreign country). Really, if you are unsure about this, you will still be unsure about this later in your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what happens if you accept your acceptance now and due to some circumstances, you have to decline it afterwards (before September though). And then you apply next year, are you still looked as a new applicant or are you at a big disadvantage?

You would be looked as a new applicant. I don't think u would be disadvantaged for any reason.

Yeah, they compare you to the yearly applicant pool. So if you get in this year but decide to decline, you will be compared to the applicants from next year who will also be applying.

That is to say, you will be unsure again if you get in or not depending on how strong the pool of candidates is.

But no disadvantages to rescinding your acceptance.

Hey guys, does anybody know approximately how long it takes for OSAP to approve the loans and what is the maximum that they will cover? I'm guessing they won't cover all 14k? :/

Look for an apartment. And if you're really ambitious, buy a house and rent it out when you're done with it.

Haven't heard anything about the waiting list on here so I'm assuming no or very little movement so far.

hope they're going to start contacting people on the wait list soon...!! anyone have an update yet?

Nuuu idea. They don't tell anyone until they get in I guess. :|

this is so nerve-racking!! why can't they just tell us the rankings??

First year pharmacy student here. For those of you looking into a line of credit ( I remember I was this same time last year). I highly suggest you look into National Bank's student line of credit which has an interest rate of prime and is the lowest of all the banks. U of T usually promotes the Scotiabank line of credit however that carries an interest rate of prime + 0.5% so its not as good as what National Bank offers.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in signing up my advisor notified me of a $60 bonus where both the person who signs up and the person who refers get $60 each. If you are signing up for National Bank anyways and would like to get the bonus just pm me and I'll give you the details.

this is so nerve-racking!! why can't they just tell us the rankings??
i guess i'm not the only one who's still waitingg....wish they told us how many spots they have available after people rejected their offers

Money is the Most Important Thing in Life :

Arguments in Favor:
  1. Everything in modern society is based on money. As the saying goes, money makes the world go around.
  2. Parents object to their daughters' marriages unless their future sons-in-laws have jobs with good prospects.
  3. Many young people marry for money rather than love. Security is more important than happiness.
  4. Some people in Shanghai would even trade their self-esteem for money.
  5. Materialism influences education, too. Students acquire knowledge not for its own sake, but for a bigger wage.
  6. Students choose business courses rather than liberal arts for the sake of earning big money in the future.
  7. Very few people want to be teachers because teaching is not a lucrative profession.
  8. More emphasis is put on material life than on spiritual life in modern society.
    People do anything in their power to earn money to buy their houses, furniture, cars, etc.
  9. People are trained to be acquisitive from an early age and are not considered successful unless they make good money.
  10. People spend most of their lives struggling frantically to keep up with their neighbors.
  11. Wealthy nations can succeed by offering their poorer talented neighbors bigger salaries.
  12. Financial rewards for pop stars make many people envy them.
  13. A desire to earn more money is nothing to be ashamed of.
  14. Deng Xiao-ping said, "To get rich is glorious."
  15. Being poor is not very much fun.
  16. Being rich allows you to do what you want.
  17. If you are rich, many people want you for a friend.
  18. It is easier to marry well if you are wealthy.
  19. Being wealthy allows you to enjoy life to the fullest.
  20. The man who has the money makes the rules.

Arguments Against:
  1. Too much wealth leads to disaster. Murder or kidnapping might occur when big money is involved.
  2. There is a marked reluctance among people to work long hours for money.
    Many people desire to have a rich and interesting life is thwarted by their quest for money.
  3. Money corrupts. The more money you have, the more you want.
  4. Success and wealth often earn you envy and even hostility, which ruins good human relationships.
  5. Some young people reject materialistic values. They are motivated by their interest in work.
  6. Some people think it is vulgar to be always after money. They give away their money to less fortunate people.
  7. Some devoted teachers consider teaching a noble career and are not demoralized by their low salaries.
  8. There is now a return of interest in the humanities, which arouse people's academic interest.
    Money is obviously not the sole interest to these people.
  9. There exist many volunteer organizations, such as neighborhood communities in China, people involved in work without a reward.
  10. What scientists and engineers want is often better conditions or work rather than more money.
  11. The love of money is the root of all evil.
  12. Some Chinese officials are corrupted by the love of money and the power it brings.
  13. Wealth often brings out the worst in people.
  14. Wealthy people are not always the happiest.
  15. When you are rich it is hard to tell who is your real friend.
  16. Many people try to kidnap and steal from the wealthy.
  17. You must spend a lot of time to protect your wealth.
  18. The wealthy spend too much time trying to get wealthier.
  19. With much wealth simple things lose their pleasure.
  20. The pursuit of money causes some to neglect their children.
Source: http://www.paulnoll.com/Books/Clear-English/debate-05-money-con.html

Bitch please

dolla dolla bill yall

OC8yk.gif

Congrats to all of you who got in!

Just wanted to ask a quick question: for those of you who got in this year, did you have low chemistry marks (in the 60-low 70 range) and if so what was your chemistry score on the PCAT?

Just want to know if it's even worth for me to apply since I have low chemistry marks! I know they look at a lot of other things as well but if I'm flagged weak in chemistry, that really can't be good.

Congrats to all of you who got in!

Just wanted to ask a quick question: for those of you who got in this year, did you have low chemistry marks (in the 60-low 70 range) and if so what was your chemistry score on the PCAT?

Just want to know if it's even worth for me to apply since I have low chemistry marks! I know they look at a lot of other things as well but if I'm flagged weak in chemistry, that really can't be good.

I got in in the previous year with very low 60s in my 2nd year organic chem. But I got 95 in the chemistry section of the PCAT. I wouldn't worry too much if you can ace the PCAT.

So it seems like there was no waitlist movement this year

i haven't heard anything yet and its already the middle of august! they should honestly fix their waitlist system... we shouldn't have to wait all the way till the first day of school to know!

i haven't heard anything yet and its already the middle of august! they should honestly fix their waitlist system... we shouldn't have to wait all the way till the first day of school to know!

That's weird, I was on the waitlist last year and I received a waitlist update on the first week of August i believe.

I've been checking my email/notification link/this forum everyday to see if anyone has been contacted on from the wait list at all. no news..

Hey Guys,

This might be a bit random, but I had a question for the previous pharmacy students. How is the marking scheme for most courses divided? Is there more tests or assignments?

Thanks

*claps*

That's pretty late though.

School starts next week. o_O

probably late but, are there actually people who apply with a GPA less than 2.7?

this is probably the craziest post ever but... I got an offer of admission today!!! YES, on the last possible day at 1:20pm. i have so much to catch up on and things to sort out... CLASSES START MONDAY. this is crazy!!!!! good luck to everyone applying next year :D:D:D

this is probably the craziest post ever but... I got an offer of admission today!!! YES, on the last possible day at 1:20pm. i have so much to catch up on and things to sort out... CLASSES START MONDAY. this is crazy!!!!! good luck to everyone applying next year :D:D:D

That's amazing, congratulations! Were you on the lower half waiting list? And what was your gpa/pcat score if you don't mind me asking?

That's amazing, congratulations! Were you on the lower half waiting list? And what was your gpa/pcat score if you don't mind me asking?
I was on the upper half of the waiting list. my cumulative average is 74.3% and my pcat composite was a 60. truth be told, that is not extremely high but I truly believe I killed my interview. I hope that gives others a piece of mind on what to aim for/above.

Last edited:
I was on the upper half of the waiting list. my cumulative average is 74.3% and my pcat composite was a 60. truth be told, that is not extremely high but I truly believe I killed my interview. I hope that gives others a piece of mind on what to aim for/above.

I'm writing the pcat in a few weeks and I'm stressing out of my MIND, so this does definitely give me a little peace of mind! I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this, but what does the interview consist of? and how soon after you submit your application do you get contacted for an interview?

I'm writing the pcat in a few weeks and I'm stressing out of my MIND, so this does definitely give me a little peace of mind! I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this, but what does the interview consist of? and how soon after you submit your application do you get contacted for an interview?

everything you need to know about the interview (MMI) and important dates are available to you on the pharmacy website of toronto :) it won't be until mid-September until they tell you the exact important dates. good luck!!

getting in is hard, now its a joke. its like 2 hours per week. 6 courses/sem. $16,000 for school for this year... which is stupid.

Lol why not consider a career change? You seem to be dropping the ball hard on pharm school.

(And it's 3 hours per week btw per course)