University of Toronto Pharmacy '2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, does U of T need a personal statement from PharmCas? Also when do people usually apply and submit the application.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Any waitlisters hear back?

Nope, haven't heard a peep from them since they released invites back in June. I feel like as each day passes, the chances of me getting in get slimmer and slimmer. Like, I'd rather they tell me I won't be getting in instead of just saying nothing for two months.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they have to get through the extra 30 acceptances handed out (270 for 240 spots), before they start contacting the waitlist..

Hey guys, random question.
I want to apply to Toronto this coming up cycle, but I am not ready to take the PCAT quite yet on September 5.
I see on the Pearson website that I can register sept. 4 to take the Pcat in October. I am not experienced with this, but do you think they offer test centers for the October PCAT in Toronto or surrounding cities?
Please let me know as I do not want to leave myself till January for my first write up! Thank you

Hey guys, random question.
I want to apply to Toronto this coming up cycle, but I am not ready to take the PCAT quite yet on September 5.
I see on the Pearson website that I can register sept. 4 to take the Pcat in October. I am not experienced with this, but do you think they offer test centers for the October PCAT in Toronto or surrounding cities?
Please let me know as I do not want to leave myself till January for my first write up! Thank you

Hey, so refer here for the PCAT dates:
http://pcatweb.info/
As you said, registration for Oct/Nov test dates opens 9-4-2014. Register that specific day as seats fill up very quickly. Toronto location always fills up first. IIRC, you can definitely write it in Toronto, Durham, and...I want to say Pickering? I wrote it at the Toronto location in October this past year so you should be good. I remember Buffalo being the next closest one.
If you haven't started studying I would recommend Dr. Collins. Dude somehow knows exactly what you need for the test, and his notes can be covered in 1-2 months easy :p

Good luck

Hey, so refer here for the PCAT dates:
http://pcatweb.info/
As you said, registration for Oct/Nov test dates opens 9-4-2014. Register that specific day as seats fill up very quickly. Toronto location always fills up first. IIRC, you can definitely write it in Toronto, Durham, and...I want to say Pickering? I wrote it at the Toronto location in October this past year so you should be good. I remember Buffalo being the next closest one.
If you haven't started studying I would recommend Dr. Collins. Dude somehow knows exactly what you need for the test, and his notes can be covered in 1-2 months easy :p

Good luck
Thanks a lot man. That's really good to know. I am quite familiar with most of the stuff for biology, chemistry, RC and orgo as I just came off writing the Mcat. I just need to review them to enhance my depth again. I def am rusty with quantitative and I know I'm probably horrible at Essays. I actually just picked up the handy Dr. Collins set a couple days so I am enthused to start reading through but more importantly I'm so happy of the amount of practice qs I have now. I'm going to try to first aim to write the test 2nd week of Sept as I start to work a bit faster and leave space for a rewrite in October maybe. It all depends on if I get stuck on quant or verbal so far.

Will UofT view taking a fifth year to try to boost my grades as a bad thing? I'm strongly considering taking a fifth year to try to boost my grades and try applying again to pharmacy for next year, but if Admissions doesn't like that, then I might reconsider.

Hopefully I could get someone's opinion, cus I need to decide whether I want to graduate in my November convocation by tomorrow. :/

Will UofT view taking a fifth year to try to boost my grades as a bad thing? I'm strongly considering taking a fifth year to try to boost my grades and try applying again to pharmacy for next year, but if Admissions doesn't like that, then I might reconsider.

Hopefully I could get someone's opinion, cus I need to decide whether I want to graduate in my November convocation by tomorrow. :/
Marks aren't of a big deal really. I know someone with a stellar cGPA and did not even get included in the wait list.

I am new to this site and have no idea how to reply to one person's comment..... But Twist01 I think you should email U of T's admission's office and ask them. They are very nice and reply very fast as I have emailed them many times before for various questions related to admissions. With that being said, I don't think it should affect your chances of getting into pharmacy significantly if your PCAT scores, cGPA, and interview scores end up being in the competitive range!

I am new to this site and have no idea how to reply to one person's comment..... But Twist01 I think you should email U of T's admission's office and ask them. They are very nice and reply very fast as I have emailed them many times before for various questions related to admissions. With that being said, I don't think it should affect your chances of getting into pharmacy significantly if your PCAT scores, cGPA, and interview scores end up being in the competitive range!

Alright, I'll give that a shot. I was curious because as of right now I'm on the lower half of the waitlist, and realistically speaking, there's almost no chance I'll be getting in for this year, barring some sort of miracle. So I figured maybe boosting my grades was the best option, since my PCAT scores are excellent, and I honestly felt I did well on 7/10 stations in the interview.

Alright, I'll give that a shot. I was curious because as of right now I'm on the lower half of the waitlist, and realistically speaking, there's almost no chance I'll be getting in for this year, barring some sort of miracle. So I figured maybe boosting my grades was the best option, since my PCAT scores are excellent, and I honestly felt I did well on 7/10 stations in the interview.

Explain that you're on the wait list for this year a cycle when you contact the u of t pharmacy admins before you ask them the question! Maybe they can give better advice knowing that information. Is your GPA genuinely low? I know a girl who applied 4 times until she finally got in with the same GPA. Although I don't suggest that. As I said, choosing to do a 5th year alone probably won't affect you getting into pharmacy so don't worry too much!

Explain that you're on the wait list for this year a cycle when you contact the u of t pharmacy admins before you ask them the question! Maybe they can give better advice knowing that information. Is your GPA genuinely low? I know a girl who applied 4 times until she finally got in with the same GPA. Although I don't suggest that. As I said, choosing to do a 5th year alone probably won't affect you getting into pharmacy so don't worry too much!

Unfortunately, yes. I genuinely messed up during my first year, and it's been a constant uphill battle the past three years just to get it respectable enough to even get an interview. My fear is that if I do decide to apply again next year with the same grades as I did this year, I might end up with the same result.

Members don't see this ad :)
...upper end wait-lister...and there's less than a month left till school starts :( none of my friends that have been wait-listed on the upper end have been contacted either.

>.< sucks being on hold.. I don't think there was any movement this year

...upper end wait-lister...and there's less than a month left till school starts :( none of my friends that have been wait-listed on the upper end have been contacted either.

wow, if none of the upper end wait-listers have been contacted yet, there is ZERO chance for the lower end wait-listers. I guess I should give up hope and start prepping for plan B

wow, if none of the upper end wait-listers have been contacted yet, there is ZERO chance for the lower end wait-listers. I guess I should give up hope and start prepping for plan B

Plan B is only effective up to 72 hours after the event..

Reactions: 1 users

I've already accepted the fact I'm not going to be getting in like a month ago. Being put on the lower half is their way of nicely saying you pretty much weren't good enough, try again next year lol. Been searching other avenues for a while now so yeah. Sucks, but nothing I can do. I guess this year's batch of applicants must be amazing if there's been almost no movement on the waitlist.

I think its a lot more competitive b/c of the PharmD designation.... and yeah that too... Some of the people I know that applied were pre-med that didn't make it to med school... every professional program is super competitive now

I think its a lot more competitive b/c of the PharmD designation.... and yeah that too... Some of the people I know that applied were pre-med that didn't make it to med school... every professional program is super competitive now

Can you verify where you heard this or if it's even true?
I've seen it a couple times on this forum, but something I really hate about SDN is that one person says something that makes sense then they all say it like it was from a legitimate source.
Have application #'s increased this year in comparison to the past? I am new to this and my researching is not accurate, and looking around here seeing these statements upsets me a bit.

Thank you

I've seen it a couple times on this forum, but something I really hate about SDN is that one person says something that makes sense then they all say it like it was from a legitimate source.
Have application #'s increased this year in comparison to the past? I am new to this and my researching is not accurate, and looking around here seeing these statements upsets me a bit.

Thank you

Why does this upset you?

Although the number of applicants has gone up over the last couple of years, it may have nothing to do with the PharmD designation, or it may have everything to do with it. You'd have to ask the applicants if the new program was a factor in their decision to apply.

Why does this upset you?

Although the number of applicants has gone up over the last couple of years, it may have nothing to do with the PharmD designation, or it may have everything to do with it. You'd have to ask the applicants if the new program was a factor in their decision to apply.

Upset me in terms of the program becoming more competitive than it was before.
But I just wanted to clarify where this statement about the designation was coming from as it others say it around more boldly but like you said, it could or could not be the case.

The school sends 270 acceptances for the 240 positions, expecting more than 30 people to reject their offers. You have to wait until those 30 people reject their offers first before the waitlist gets going.

Upset me in terms of the program becoming more competitive than it was before.
But I just wanted to clarify where this statement about the designation was coming from as it others say it around more boldly but like you said, it could or could not be the case.

Although this is just my own speculation, I believe the increase in applications is due to people being unable to find employment with just a bachelor's degree nowadays.

The school sends 270 acceptances for the 240 positions, expecting more than 30 people to reject their offers. You have to wait until those 30 people reject their offers first before the waitlist gets going.

Do you have any intell on if they've contacted any waitlisters? I've gone through last years forum and people were contacted as early as July 5th. Felt like there was a chance but now that we're nearing the middle of August I don't think there's any chance :(

Thank you

There are numerous factors...every program is more competitive to get into now than it was a couple years ago. And app numbers have increased over the yrs.

Although this is just my own speculation, I believe the increase in applications is due to people being unable to find employment with just a bachelor's degree nowadays.
The job market just sucks nowadays even with Co-op experience. :p

It's basically the same thing though. The PharmD just gives you more clinical experience, but most people go into community. I guess it sounds better. :/

It's basically the same thing though. The PharmD just gives you more clinical experience, but most people go into community. I guess it sounds better. :/
Oh I just meant a bachelors as in a BSc

I'm selling 5 PCAT practice tests from cliffstestprep. Please message me if interested.

Long time lurker here. I got a call yesterday telling me that I got off the waitlist :) I thought you guys would like to know there has been some movement on the list (albeit kind of late in the game). Excited to be joining the pharmacy class!

Reactions: 3 users
Long time lurker here. I got a call yesterday telling me that I got off the waitlist :) I thought you guys would like to know there has been some movement on the list (albeit kind of late in the game). Excited to be joining the pharmacy class!

Thats awesome news!! Congratulations!! :)

If anyone is thinking of signing up for a National Bank line of credit and wants to get an extra $50 to their account for being referred pm me.

Anyone planning to write the PCAT this October in Toronto want to study together?

Send me a private message.

Also anyone selling prep books?

Hey guys sorry for the random post and lack of knowledge, I am not coming in this year just curious- Does u of t pharmacy have some sort of welcoming ceremony (like even white coat haha?) in the oweek or you just start first day of classes like any other program?
Just curiosity, nothing serious. Thanks for answering.

Hey guys sorry for the random post and lack of knowledge, I am not coming in this year just curious- Does u of t pharmacy have some sort of welcoming ceremony (like even white coat haha?) in the oweek or you just start first day of classes like any other program?
Just curiosity, nothing serious. Thanks for answering.

Hi there. We get an orientation or "Phrosh" week starting tomorrow until Friday. Classes start the Monday after. There is also a white coat ceremony in January.

Hey all, I'm looking at Dr. Collin's Prep with updates up to 2013/2014. I live in the GTA and want to meet up somewhere like Markham for purchasing the pcat prep.

It's the last day already! Anybody else got off the wait list yet? Hoping the best for everybody.

It's the last day already! Anybody else got off the wait list yet? Hoping the best for everybody.

dude I wish, I'm waiting so anxiously. So if they don't contact us today, consider a rejection :(

Does anybody have any information about bursaries from U of T and how much each are worth?

Hey guys! I'm applying to UofT for admission into the September 2015 class. I just wanted to know what my chances of getting an interview are based on my stats. PS: I applied to UW CAP in grade 12 and got rejected, I didn't even get an interview.

Here are my stats:

GPA 4.0 (~92% average) I currently go to UW
PCAT
Verbal ability 68
Biology 79
Reading comprehension 78
Quantitative Ability 98
Chemistry 97
Composite 94

I have over 150 hours of volunteer work in a community and hospital pharmacy, I've had a part-time job every term of school since I started in university and EC's range from Best Buddies mentor to intramural volleyball.

What do you guys think my chances of getting an interview are?

Are you fishing for compliments? Go to med school.

Do you guys think I have chance being accepted? I'm doing 5th year undergrad this year.
I do not know my exact GPA but my cumulative university average should be around ~79%
My 2nd, 3rd year grades are beyond horrible ~60% and I managed to get ~90 average in 4th year.. hopefully another ~90 this final year to bring up my cumulative average.
My PCAT is (1st attempt)
VA : 78
Bio 99
RC: 68
Quant : 98
Chem :99
Composite : 99

UofT PharmD is the only place I'm applying to...
Edit: If any of you could recommend me a good back up plan as well.. that'd be great. But UofT/Waterloo seemed like the only pharmacy schools that have pharmD programs that I can apply to