University of Vermont vs. Maimonides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide which of these two programs to rank higher??

Maimonides vs University of Vermont

Thank you !!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Trying to decide which of these two programs to rank higher??

Maimonides vs University of Vermont

Thank you !!

Dude, I loved my residency at Maimonides overall, but if you can get a University name behind you, it can only help.

So assuming you like both programs and you feel both will prepare you adequately and are willing to go to both, I would pick University of Vermont.

Dude, I loved my residency at Maimonides overall, but if you can get a University name behind you, it can only help.

So assuming you like both programs and you feel both will prepare you adequately and are willing to go to both, I would pick University of Vermont.

Thanks man! Anyone else ??

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Maimo is a tough hours wise but they do good cases, nice attendings, friendly staff from what I've heard from several residents that work there.

Very different locations, but both settings are fantastic in their own ways.

I didn't apply to or interview at Maimonides, but UVM is a hidden gem. The people were extremely nice, laid back, and interesting. The faculty were very impressive with great credentials and personalities. Half of the graduates do fellowship, often at Hopkins, Columbia, or the Harvard hospitals.

IMHO.... vermont... NO CONTEST.

I interviewed at Maimonides: the facility is old, the attendings seemed subpar, and the residents seemed over worked and unhappy. They had a rotation with Mt. Sinai a couple of years back which Mt Sinai pulled out of because, from what I hear and this is total hearsay, the maimo residents did not bring anything to the table. The residents at maimo are definitely lacking fun personalities from my limited interaction with them. I didn't think I would enjoy myself there.

Once again, just my personal opinion.
Thats a pretty pompous statement from a fourth year medical student. I have met several Maimo trained attendings and they are pretty on top of the ball. Where did you go to med school? Hospitals in New York tend not to be as pretty.

Thats a pretty pompous statement from a fourth year medical student. I have met several Maimo trained attendings and they are pretty on top of the ball. Where did you go to med school? Hospitals in New York tend not to be as pretty.

I apologize. My intention was not to be pompous, although after reading it back, i totally understand how it came across as such. My opinion is solely based on my interview day. In my opinion, I did not feel I would be a good fit there with the few attendings and residents I met. But as a 4th year student, I am in no position to comment on anyone's qualifications or merits. Once again, I apologize and will edit my post. If you would be so kind as to delete the quote, that would be ok as well.

Damn man, no need to be so apologetic. You stated your opinion thats all - nothing wrong with that, even if it was just based on an interview day. And your opinion means no less for being a "fourth year med student" - that comment is an example of the kind of demeaning hierarchy which needs to be removed from the culture of medicine.

Damn man, no need to be so apologetic. You stated your opinion thats all - nothing wrong with that, even if it was just based on an interview day. And your opinion means no less for being a "fourth year med student" - that comment is an example of the kind of demeaning hierarchy which needs to be removed from the culture of medicine.

Agreed

Point taken. Anesorbust, Please accept my apology for my arrogant comment. As an act of contrition, if you have any questions about your RL or any programs in NY/NJ/PA (I interviewed at most of them and have friends at most of them) send me a PM.

I'm a current CA-2 at Maimo and went to a "big university" for med school and don't think it really matters what name you go to. Ultimately whatever you put into your residency is what you will get out of it, and there are plenty of opportunities at Maimo. We have tons of sick patients, complex physiology, and great attendings. I have no opinion on Vermont, but Maimo really is a great place to train and I am very happy. Anyone can feel free to PM me for more info.