Unnecessary Surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainDrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am having a moral dilemma of sorts. I practice in an area with a very active ortho spine group and I typically see their patients after their surgery.

I obviously am not a surgeon but I have seen some completely bogus surgeries performed or patients being pushed for surgery by this group. For example, workers comp patient 45yo F with two mild bulges and no signifiant stenosis, obese diabetic and smoker. Her exam is all pointing I SI joint and the surgeon on was like "go get a shot so worker's comp will approve your fusion." This group will typically fuse one level at a time and separate the surgeries by 6 months to a year. They will also remove hardware for "continued pain". I have also noticed they do fusions without lami for spinal stenosis. Now my dilemma is that I have seriously almost reported their @sses for this stuff. Some of their care doesn't even follow their own literature. Anyone run into this?

Members don't see this ad.

welcome to pain medicine.

we all see this every day.

2 options for you: 1. get paid 2. be able to look yourself in the mirror.

So I am having a moral dilemma of sorts. I practice in an area with a very active ortho spine group and I typically see their patients after their surgery.

I obviously am not a surgeon but I have seen some completely bogus surgeries performed or patients being pushed for surgery by this group. For example, workers comp patient 45yo F with two mild bulges and no signifiant stenosis, obese diabetic and smoker. Her exam is all pointing I SI joint and the surgeon on was like "go get a shot so worker's comp will approve your fusion." This group will typically fuse one level at a time and separate the surgeries by 6 months to a year. They will also remove hardware for "continued pain". I have also noticed they do fusions without lami for spinal stenosis. Now my dilemma is that I have seriously almost reported their @sses for this stuff. Some of their care doesn't even follow their own literature. Anyone run into this?

Recommend 2nd opinion with Neurosurgeon (find a conservative guy)

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone has this in some form. You steer towards the good guys and steer away from the bad ones. I don't know that else you can do. Reporting them is a waste of time unless there's something criminal going on that would get headlines.