UNSOM Class of 2012!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punkrockgrl

that's a #1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Congrats on your acceptances! I can't wait to meet everyone on the thread before class starts.
Well, I'm from Vegas, so any Reno people fill me in on Reno basics that would be great.
Congrats again, and to everyone waiting... good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I also got into UNSOM and am really excited! Oxeye has really been a great help to me in telling me more about the school but I can tell you about Reno. I really love Reno because it is only about 45 minutes away from Lake Tahoe in the summer and perhaps an hour away from most of the ski resorts in the winter. I don't know how much of that I'll be doing in Med School but it is still nice to have it close by. I have a number of friends who go to UNR for undergrad and they seem to like the nightlife but I don't know if it will compare to Vegas. I also like the people in Reno. For the most part they all seem nice and friendly to me. What else did you want to know?

I also got into UNSOM and am really excited! Oxeye has really been a great help to me in telling me more about the school but I can tell you about Reno. I really love Reno because it is only about 45 minutes away from Lake Tahoe in the summer and perhaps an hour away from most of the ski resorts in the winter. I don't know how much of that I'll be doing in Med School but it is still nice to have it close by. I have a number of friends who go to UNR for undergrad and they seem to like the nightlife but I don't know if it will compare to Vegas. I also like the people in Reno. For the most part they all seem nice and friendly to me. What else did you want to know?

That's a good start. Thanks for the info. I think I may go up in March to look around a bit. Oh, I did want to know what part of town I should live in? Is it safe to live by the school? I would like to be close.

And yeah, Oxeye has been great! It's so nice to have someone who knows!

I did fingerprinting today... I'm ready to go NOW! haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I did want to know what part of town I should live in? Is it safe to live by the school? I would like to be close.

How close do you want to be? I know that some of my undergrad friends live in the area surrounding the school. They have had pretty mixed experiences but I think it is safe. 10 minutes to the west will take you to the McQueen High School area which is nice. You could also live in old southwest Reno which is where a lot of young professionals live. It is on the other side of downtown and also only about 10 minutes away. Oxeye might be a better person to answer this question.

Most people live pretty close to school - within a few miles. There are a handful who are further away.The McQueen area is great - I feel very safe in that area, there are lots of new apartments and only about a 5-10 minute drive to school. Lots of people live in apartments/rentals around campus. The only area I think I would for sure avoid is downtown. It is close to campus so it would be convenient, but that's the only area of town where I get a little nervous. Old Northwest might be good - not as many apartments but there are probably some decently priced rental houses if you want to find a few roommates.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

If you guys have any more questions regarding the school, where to live, books to get, etc., feel free to ask me. I am currently a 4th year at UNSOM and can give a lot of insight if needed.

Hi, Nevadan;

I am a 4th year dental student who is just matched to UNLV dental residency program. I am looking for housing in Las Vegas especially near campus housing. Could you please give some resources that I can utilize?

Thank you very much.

hzq838

If you guys have any more questions regarding the school, where to live, books to get, etc., feel free to ask me. I am currently a 4th year at UNSOM and can give a lot of insight if needed.

Hi everyone! I just got my official word of acceptance for UNSOM c/o 2012 today! I am ecstatic! I live in Vegas right now... does anyone have myspace? www.myspace.com/prncssbydwn

Hey,
Talking about tuition. Is anyone an out-of-state student? If so how are you paying? I really want to go to UAB, but doing the math, I'd be close to 400,000 under after you factor in 70,000 per year plus all the interest, which is really high. Has anyone had to apply for the Grad.Plus loans?

I mean with a cheaper option, USA, in-state, how much is UAB actually worth to out-of-staters and can we actually pay off that much debt?

Also, I talked to several people about residency and out-of-state status seems very perminent (except for marriage to a resident-anyone interested, tall blond WF seeks in-state M??? haha). Maybe someone else has heard differently about residency.

Hi! I was just accepted into UNSOM a couple weeks ago. I am looking around for apartments. Is there anyone looking for a roommate? Please contact me here or at [email protected].

Also, does anyone know how I could find out what books we need for the first year? Where can I find used books?

Thanks! I'm excited to begin!

Hi I'm starting at UNSOM in the fall, and I'm moving to Reno with my wife and two children. Where's a good neighborhood to rent a nice house? I don't mind having to commute or pay a little extra. I'm more interested in finding a safe neighborhood for my family. Thanks for the help!