unsure of what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedrownedgod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why would you ever say that! So if you get a 28 the third time the first 2 don't matter.

Thanks. Has anyone here who has worked FT and taken the MCAT only to acquire a low score found it helpful to quit their position and focus FT on the MCAT?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Has anyone here who has worked FT and taken the MCAT only to acquire a low score found it helpful to quit their position and focus FT on the MCAT?
When I took the MCAT the first 2 times I was working full time, I went part time the third time due to a variety of other personal reasons, however, I am confident I have at least brought up my score about 9-10 pts by being able to focus better.

i worked full time while studying for the MCAT and did well, it is absolutely doable if you're disciplined

Reactions: 1 user
You have some serious MCAT deficits, so do NOT retake until you fix them. As of right now, your chances for MD are dead, and circling the drain for DO schools. Mine would auto-reject you, as would CCOM, for example. Only the newest schools would give you any love.

I graduated in 2013 with degree in chem. I took the mcat last year and received a 25 with a 5 in verbal. I retook it again in January after studying and averaging 29-30 on practice tests (8 avg verbal) and received a mediocre 22..... 8/6/8. I've wrestled with my conscience over how I could have acquired such an abysmal score, but this is the reality I have to live with now. I know a retake is in order, but I would like to know if I've destroyed my chances of ever entering a US medical school (MD/DO). My ECs include shadowing, hospital volunteering, TAing, biochemistry research, and working as a pharmacy technician. All of my LORs are sitting in my university's pre-health committee office. I need a 28+ MCAT to get a committee letter. I've held a salaried position with great benefits in the pharmaceutical insurance industry for over a year now, but my passion ultimately lies in medicine. I'm thinking about quitting my job and focusing 120% on the new MCAT, but I worry that I've already ruined my chances. Would anyone care to offer any advice?

I did that exact thing this past May. I was a FT engineer and found it in the way of my dream of becoming a doctor. Although, I had more time to study for the MCAT last year, I still didn't perform well. However, I don't regret my decision at all.

Any recommendation on which study package is better for MCAT 2015? Kaplan or EK?

I stopped working to focus on part-time courses and MCAT preparation.

I think it would be silly to try to juggle full-time work and MCAT preparation if you can feasibly take a LOA from work. Not everyone has that luxury, but for me it was the right choice.