UNT CoP Inaugural Class Hopefulls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The entire campus is completed, with the exception of the hallway that connects RES and EAD. It used to be the hallway the displayed pictures of previously graduated TCOM classes. The pharm students will now occupy the classrooms that the 1st and 2nd year DO students used prior to the construction of the MET building across the street. An artist rendering of a hallway...I'm being punk'd, right?!

The curriculum is mostly mandated by the accrediting body, so there's not much variability. Look at any pharm school in the country and the P1 curriculum has several similarities...biochem, medicinal chem, pharmacology, etc

You said "none of your questions....went unanswered". How is that a bad thing?

I've had interaction with the faculty, some of whom I've know for years and none of them are snobby. It's professional school, not undergrad...you go there, get what you need and roll out.

Maybe as a student with an advanced degree, my outlook is different. Obviously, as a potential consumer (student), you have to make sure the product offered will meet your expectations and needs. If there is doubt that is substantiated, you should go somewhere else. Why spend 4 years, countless hours and 100k if you can't do it with confidence, right?

so on my tour i was just shown a broken hallway with construction workers fixing up some elevators. the tour was a fail, and no youre not being punked lol i felt like i was being punked on the interview.

so if its so similar how hard is it to give us a rough idea of the exactly how a students semester would go like at least the first year for the first class ever? if youre going to spend a 100k+ dont you wanna know what you're signing up for exactly?

i understand the curriculum is similar. ive interview at over 10 schools if you take a close look at every school its not exactly the same order of classes, same times, with SOME variation and that SOME variation is what we students look at in particular.

and i meant "all my questions went unanswered" so pretty much they said "were gonna wing it!" in a nut shell.

and youre description of professional school sounds like what undergrad is all about, get what you need and roll out cause youre just a number. id like to get a little more out of professional school than just "go there, get what you need, and roll out" not my idea of 100k+ worth of education. thats like 20k value at a community college.

im sorry i know these forums are probably used to sell the colleges but the we the consumers (students) should know whats up, like you said its their first year but first impression has to be the best impression. we dont get to redo our interviews if our first impressions are messed up, same goes with the school.

Members don't see this ad.

so on my tour i was just shown a broken hallway with construction workers fixing up some elevators. the tour was a fail, and no youre not being punked lol i felt like i was being punked on the interview.

so if its so similar how hard is it to give us a rough idea of the exactly how a students semester would go like at least the first year for the first class ever? if youre going to spend a 100k+ dont you wanna know what you're signing up for exactly?

i understand the curriculum is similar. ive interview at over 10 schools if you take a close look at every school its not exactly the same order of classes, same times, with SOME variation and that SOME variation is what we students look at in particular.

and i meant "all my questions went unanswered" so pretty much they said "were gonna wing it!" in a nut shell.

and youre description of professional school sounds like what undergrad is all about, get what you need and roll out cause youre just a number. id like to get a little more out of professional school than just "go there, get what you need, and roll out" not my idea of 100k+ worth of education. thats like 20k value at a community college.

im sorry i know these forums are probably used to sell the colleges but the we the consumers (students) should know whats up, like you said its their first year but first impression has to be the best impression. we dont get to redo our interviews if our first impressions are messed up, same goes with the school.

I agree with what you're saying. I understand if this is the only program that accepts you but if you get into another program why attend UNT(unless youre from DFW)? I would hate to be the Guinea pig class, my thoughts.

I think he is just giving his experience and opinion for the sake of the rest of SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody wants to be the proverbial guinea pig, but that's the way it was for everyone at some point in time. Quite frankly, they won't have any problem filling their seats...regardless of those who feel it isn't a good fit for them. I could care less who goes or who doesn't go...I just find it interesting that so many people have "doubts", yet they'll likely end up there. I promise there are those who troll this very thread and will talk allllll sorts of ****, but will be the first to pay their deposit and tell everyone on Facebook they got into pharm school lol.

Nobody wants to be the proverbial guinea pig, but that's the way it was for everyone at some point in time. Quite frankly, they won't have any problem filling their seats...regardless of those who feel it isn't a good fit for them. I could care less who goes or who doesn't go...I just find it interesting that so many people have "doubts", yet they'll likely end up there. I promise there are those who troll this very thread and will talk allllll sorts of ****, but will be the first to pay their deposit and tell everyone on Facebook they got into pharm school lol.

im from arlington, texas, went to high school and college out here, graduated from UTA, i got into UT but went to UTA because like i said i live in arlington saved a butt load of money. if i used this same type of reasoning with UNT vs. UT id rather go to UT even though ive heard their facilities are out dated, and UNT is "fully" renovated.

being the guinea pigs of this new program could be an exciting thing if their faculty was more interested in their inaugural class and have their hands extended towards us. This program feels like its going to be more work than whats necessary. I read between the lines and thats what ive assessed. it would be incredible to go to this university and set everything up for future classes and mark all that down on youre resume under leadership, that could definitely separate you from others during residency interviews. but then again your residency sites could be like who the heck is UNT? so its like youre on the fence and their faculty just kinda acts like their too good to be interviewing you and/or be nice to you. this my first time applying/interviewing/attending pharmacy school just like its their first time conducting interviews/collecting applications/teaching the program. i think they need to get over themselves and bring it down a notch before acting like a premiere school. during the introduction presentation the dean spoke about how he wants UNT to be one of the best schools in the nation, thats pretty high standards considering they dont even have the curriculum set up. instead of being my number 1 choice because of location and in state tuition they secured my last choice, even after my waitlisted schools if all else fails.

wish things were different but such is life. :cool:

midwestern chicago - accepted
howard university - accepted
university of hawaii - accepted - declined offer
rosalind franklin - accepted - candidate status - declined offer

shenandoah university - waitlisted
university of oklahoma - waitlisted

TEXAS TECH - waiting for reply
LECOM bradenton - find out tomorrow

Drake University - interview next week

im from arlington, texas, went to high school and college out here, graduated from UTA, i got into UT but went to UTA because like i said i live in arlington saved a butt load of money. if i used this same type of reasoning with UNT vs. UT id rather go to UT even though ive heard their facilities are out dated, and UNT is "fully" renovated.

being the guinea pigs of this new program could be an exciting thing if their faculty was more interested in their inaugural class and have their hands extended towards us. This program feels like its going to be more work than whats necessary. I read between the lines and thats what ive assessed. it would be incredible to go to this university and set everything up for future classes and mark all that down on youre resume under leadership, that could definitely separate you from others during residency interviews. but then again your residency sites could be like who the heck is UNT? so its like youre on the fence and their faculty just kinda acts like their too good to be interviewing you and/or be nice to you. this my first time applying/interviewing/attending pharmacy school just like its their first time conducting interviews/collecting applications/teaching the program. i think they need to get over themselves and bring it down a notch before acting like a premiere school. during the introduction presentation the dean spoke about how he wants UNT to be one of the best schools in the nation, thats pretty high standards considering they dont even have the curriculum set up. instead of being my number 1 choice because of location and in state tuition they secured my last choice, even after my waitlisted schools if all else fails.

wish things were different but such is life. :cool:

midwestern chicago - accepted
howard university - accepted
university of hawaii - accepted - declined offer
rosalind franklin - accepted - candidate status - declined offer

shenandoah university - waitlisted
university of oklahoma - waitlisted

TEXAS TECH - waiting for reply
LECOM bradenton - find out tomorrow

Drake University - interview next week

Ahhhh...Rosalind Franklin is nice! North Chicago was really laid back and I liked the on campus apartments for professional students. I had my med school interview there, as well as LECOM (blah) and TCOM.

Again, that's why I said I don't have a dog in this fight. UNT pharm still granted me an interview, even after they found out I had interviewed at TCOM right before Christmas break AND pharmacy was my plan 'B'. They already had my $50...surprised they didn't tell me "thanks but no thanks"!

If they're not gunning to be the best school around, for the sake of saving face, they should still say it. Wouldn't sound too sexy if they said "we will never compete with the likes of UT or U of H, but we'd still like you to consider attending."

Lets be frank, your list of accepted schools mirrors the list of pharm and med schools I have interviewed at...middle of the road but no real 'heavy hitters'....except OU-they have a great program, but they don't let too may OOS students in. That means that its going to be less about the name, and more about what you do while you are there.

At the end of the day, where you get your professional degree from doesn't carry as much weight as people like to think. My wife went to dental school at Baylor and people in her office went to places that I've never heard of...BUT they're still practicing dentists. I can assure you that your performance on the NAPLEX and the impression you make during residency interviews is more important than where you went. We're more likely to get the "where is that" line if we say Rosalind Franklin than if we say "University of North Texas Health Science Center" lol.

Let me know if you decide to attend Rosalind Franklin...we can band together, as we'd likely be the only ones from DFW out there! Don't really wanna leave family behind, but I refuse to sit out another year and reapply.

Good luck everyone--I'm rooting for ya!!

Rosalind Franklin (med)- ACCEPTED

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM)- I didn't match, but I'll likely be wait listed *fingers crossed*

Meharry Medical College- ACCEPTED

AZCOM (med)- interview in 2 weeks

Des Moines (med)- interview next week

Temple University (med)- rejected :-(

Oklahoma State (med)- rejected :-(

UNT (pharm)- decision in 4-6 weeks

Texas Southern (pharm)- ACCEPTED

Incarnate Word (pharm)- ACCEPTED

Last edited:
Ahhhh...Rosalind Franklin is nice! North Chicago was really laid back and I liked the on campus apartments for professional students. I had my med school interview there, as well as LECOM (blah) and TCOM.

Again, that's why I said I don't have a dog in this fight. UNT pharm still granted me an interview, even after they found out I had interviewed at TCOM right before Christmas break AND pharmacy was my plan 'B'. They already had my $50...surprised they didn't tell me "thanks but no thanks"!

If they're not gunning to be the best school around, for the sake of saving face, they should still say it. Wouldn't sound too sexy if they said "we will never compete with the likes of UT or U of H, but we'd still like you to consider attending."

Lets be frank, your list of accepted schools mirrors the list of pharm and med schools I have interviewed at...middle of the road but no real 'heavy hitters'....except OU-they have a great program, but they don't let too may OOS students in. That means that its going to be less about the name, and more about what you do while you are there.

At the end of the day, where you get your professional degree from doesn't carry as much weight as people like to think. My wife went to dental school at Baylor and people in her office went to places that I've never heard of...BUT they're still practicing dentists. I can assure you that your performance on the NAPLEX and the impression you make during residency interviews is more important than where you went. We're more likely to get the "where is that" line if we say Rosalind Franklin than if we say "University of North Texas Health Science Center" lol.

Let me know if you decide to attend Rosalind Franklin...we can band together, as we'd likely be the only ones from DFW out there! Don't really wanna leave family behind, but I refuse to sit out another year and reapply.

Good luck everyone--I'm rooting for ya!!

Rosalind Franklin (med)- ACCEPTED

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM)- I didn't match, but I'll likely be wait listed *fingers crossed*

Meharry Medical College- ACCEPTED

AZCOM (med)- interview in 2 weeks

Des Moines (med)- interview next week

Temple University (med)- rejected :-(

Oklahoma State (med)- rejected :-(

UNT (pharm)- decision in 4-6 weeks

Texas Southern (pharm)- ACCEPTED

Incarnate Word (pharm)- ACCEPTED

Rosalind Franklin would be a sweet medical school to go to. they just had their centennial for the DO program. unfortunately the pharmacy program is only into their 3rd year & the students there have told me that their are some kinks in the program but they do have 2 professors that write for the NAPLEX which was pretty cool. feels like youre in high school again with the one building connecting everything together. but the people are really nice and the area is beautiful, i heard if you do end up going that the naval housing is the cheapest youre gonna get and its actually really nice!

im going to be in des moines next week for an interview at drake university. are you applying to des moines university? i was born and raised in des moines, iowa moved to DFW in high school been out here for about 11 years. HUGE difference, pretty much everything is different. if you got any questions about the area i pretty much know everything there about it. give me a shout. :cool:

i heard for a pharmacy school to get fully accredited, every single member of the inaugural class has to pass the first board exam? can anyone verify this?

Yes that is correct, every single member of the inaugural class has to pass the first board exam in order to become fully accredited. I personally got accepted into a pharmacy school in California last year and withdrew from the school because of the same reason. So, I would be very careful with these new schools. Even you can't work after graduation till the school become fully accredited.

Rosalind Franklin would be a sweet medical school to go to. they just had their centennial for the DO program. unfortunately the pharmacy program is only into their 3rd year & the students there have told me that their are some kinks in the program but they do have 2 professors that write for the NAPLEX which was pretty cool. feels like youre in high school again with the one building connecting everything together. but the people are really nice and the area is beautiful, i heard if you do end up going that the naval housing is the cheapest youre gonna get and its actually really nice!

im going to be in des moines next week for an interview at drake university. are you applying to des moines university? i was born and raised in des moines, iowa moved to DFW in high school been out here for about 11 years. HUGE difference, pretty much everything is different. if you got any questions about the area i pretty much know everything there about it. give me a shout. :cool:

Des Moines wasn't at the top of my list until I had a preview of their facilities and the cost of living. It's hard to not like that place! The only big knock I have against most DO schools (especially private) is the cost. Good lord...at some point they'll realize that's nobody can go into family medicine anymore...you can't afford to when you start off 200k in the hole.

yeah, I interview on the 13th and wasn't that impress. Everything talked about will be finished 3 years from now. There was no information about student organizations when I asked one of the staff. The school seem like it has potential down the road, but I don't know how my 4 years there will be at this point if I get accepted. :( I don't know now, it was one of my first choice cuz I lived in the dfw area.

I was excited about this school opening up because I live in Dallas..but after realizing all the potential problems that can occur and can prevent me from working as a Pharmacist even after I graduate, I don't know what I'll do if I do get in..
So every single student in the inaugural class must pass the first board exam or else the school won't be accredited and the other students won't be able to practice Pharmacy anywhere...that has to be one of the riskiest decisions that students who get accepted into the program must make.. You could essentially be wasting four years of your life and a lot of money for nothing.
I don't really think I can leave my future career in the hands of the work ethic and intelligence of 84 other students...what do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was excited about this school opening up because I live in Dallas..but after realizing all the potential problems that can occur and can prevent me from working as a Pharmacist even after I graduate, I don't know what I'll do if I do get in..
So every single student in the inaugural class must pass the first board exam or else the school won't be accredited and the other students won't be able to practice Pharmacy anywhere...that has to be one of the riskiest decisions that students who get accepted into the program must make.. You could essentially be wasting four years of your life and a lot of money for nothing.
I don't really think I can leave my future career in the hands of the work ethic and intelligence of 84 other students...what do y'all think?

Well, I honestly don't think that the dean and all the other admins that are in charge of putting this program together haven't thought about all the risks. I think there is something that we are not taking into consideration. This whole program has been under progress since 2009. Do you really think Congress would have approved this program if the risk was that substantial? I'm sure this school is going to go above and beyond to make sure their entering class passes the boards. This is probably why the entering class is so much smaller than the other schools and why this program is going to be selective to pick the best and brightest of applicants.

Just remember that is a standard that EVERY pharmacy school has had to meet and a risk they had to take when their program was new along with the students that chose to go there. Have a little faith in your classmates-we all want the same thing you do and we all have been working very hard to get it. Wouldn't it be great to be the pioneering class for a program that has all the potential with current resources!! There will always be risks but if we, as the inaugural class, set a personal standard above the average, then the rewards will be much more satisfying and the question no longer becomes "what if...." but "when we....". Good luck with your choice should you be fortunate to get in:)

84 other students, huh....I guess you're saying that you're not a liability. That's cute.

84 other students, huh....I guess you're saying that you're not a liability. That's cute.

Nope, not it at all. You can't study and take tests for everyone else so you're essentially leaving a lot in their hands. Just throwing something out there that everyone should be prepared to think about it. Your misinterpreted comment really isn't cute at all.

I have looked at the ACPE website in search of the truth in regards to 100% mandatory passing rate for the inaugural pharmacy class in order to be accredited and I have not found anything at all about that. It simply says upon graduation of the first class. Logically though, 100% passing rate for any established pharmacy school is a tall order so I do not think that we need to be depending on the fellow classmates to pass their boards in order to achieve accreditation.

Since there appears to be general misunderstanding about the expectations and guidelines by which UNT- College of Pharmacy is governed by...here's the link to the ACPE which will answer any and all questions.

https://www.acpe-accredit.org/pdf/S2007Guidelines2.0_ChangesIdentifiedInRed.pdf

I'll probably come across as a dick for saying this (which I'm totally ok with), but most of you seem too worried about the school and accreditation issues, when the REAL CONCERN should be finding a job in a field that is seemingly over saturated. Ten years ago, it wasn't unreal for graduating PharmD students to have jobs prior to graduation, but the reality now is that pharmacist salaries have actually been on the decline the last 4 years. Residency spots are not increasing, but the number of pharmacy schools is on the rise. There are some companies who can no longer guarantee 40 hours per week to their new pharmacists or who have designed pay scales so that you will work longer for less money...that's not cool. The very things that drew some us to healthcare (i.e., stability, income) are no longer around. The "lick and stick" pharmacist that commanded 120-130k a few years ago is now making 105-110k. The ACPE has allowed the opening of more pharmacy schools as they predict a greater need. That sounds great, but the need is currently being outpaced by supply.

The thing that most of you don't realize is that there is so much money on the line that UNT will do whatever is takes to gain accreditation. The state legislature allocates several thousand dollars per semester for each student who remains enrolled in a pharmacy school beyond the census date (12th day of class). Full accreditation will happen on time, without any issues.

For those if you who question the validity of my statements, do your own research. I can also tell you that I've worked in healthcare administration for the last 4 years in a management level position and part of our job was to evaluate compensation packages and the current trends in healthcare.

I wasn't granted an interview here. Really wish I had an opportunity like some of you guys did! Good luck! I was in town to visit a friend and had a chance to visit the school as well and it was a pretty big and nice school minus all the construction that was going on. The faculty there were all really nice. All schools have to go through accreditation I wouldn't make it my main concern.

Just to let everyone know, I had my interview here this past Monday (2/18) and loved it! I really like the school, the area, and all of the faculty I encountered were so friendly and helpful. They answered all of my questions and really made the interview day enjoyable. Yes, there was not much to see on the tour, but can you blame them? There is a lot of construction going on. They showed us the admissions office, the building and the rooms where P1's and P2's will have their classes, and the library. That is where students will be spending the majority of their time so that is really all we needed to see! No sense in walking around the entire campus on a hot day in heels if we will never really be spending our time in those parts of the campus, such as where the medical students and PA students have their classes. If you end up getting accepted to the school, I'm sure you could explore those parts of the campus anytime you wanted. It just wasn't necessary to do on the interview day. The tour was short, sweet, and to the point, which most people should be happy about because an interview day can be tiring. The tour was the very last thing, so you could tell that everyone was ready to head home anyway. They are currently building a pharmacy skills lab that will be ready in May, so we were not able to see that yet. Overall, I really enjoyed the interview day and I had a great experience visiting the school. Everyone there treated me kindly and with respect. For people with interviews coming up: just arrive at your interview with an open mind and don't believe everything you read on these forums. Form your own opinions when you get there and see what vibe you get from the school yourself. Everyone's experience will be different! They ask that you fill out a survey at the end of the day about your interview experience, so if you were not happy about something, you have the opportunity to tell them about it on the form. Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up and just enjoy the day! If you have a good attitude about it, it really is a fun day! :)

Just to let everyone know, I had my interview here this past Monday (2/18) and loved it! I really like the school, the area, and all of the faculty I encountered were so friendly and helpful. They answered all of my questions and really made the interview day enjoyable. Yes, there was not much to see on the tour, but can you blame them? There is a lot of construction going on. They showed us the admissions office, the building and the rooms where P1's and P2's will have their classes, and the library. That is where students will be spending the majority of their time so that is really all we needed to see! No sense in walking around the entire campus on a hot day in heels if we will never really be spending our time in those parts of the campus, such as where the medical students and PA students have their classes. If you end up getting accepted to the school, I'm sure you could explore those parts of the campus anytime you wanted. It just wasn't necessary to do on the interview day. The tour was short, sweet, and to the point, which most people should be happy about because an interview day can be tiring. The tour was the very last thing, so you could tell that everyone was ready to head home anyway. They are currently building a pharmacy skills lab that will be ready in May, so we were not able to see that yet. Overall, I really enjoyed the interview day and I had a great experience visiting the school. Everyone there treated me kindly and with respect. For people with interviews coming up: just arrive at your interview with an open mind and don't believe everything you read on these forums. Form your own opinions when you get there and see what vibe you get from the school yourself. Everyone's experience will be different! They ask that you fill out a survey at the end of the day about your interview experience, so if you were not happy about something, you have the opportunity to tell them about it on the form. Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up and just enjoy the day! If you have a good attitude about it, it really is a fun day! :)

Couldn't agree more

How long after submitting your application did they notify you for an interview?

I submitted my application on October 30 and received an email for an interview invitation on December 19.

Hmm well it might be a little quicker now since the interviews end on April 19. Hopefully you will hear something soon! I got my email to choose my interview date on January 15 and could choose any Monday or Wednesday from February 11 to February 27, so it seems like they give you at least about a month's notice before your interview. And since the application deadline is March 1, they will probably be sending out the rest of the invites in the next few weeks!

Hmm well it might be a little quicker now since the interviews end on April 19. Hopefully you will hear something soon! I got my email to choose my interview date on January 15 and could choose any Monday or Wednesday from February 11 to February 27, so it seems like they give you at least about a month's notice before your interview. And since the application deadline is March 1, they will probably be sending out the rest of the invites in the next few weeks!

Sweet. I hope it's soon. The anticipation is killing me lol. I would really like the opportunity to go to this school. It would be so cool to start the various pharmacy traditions and programs. Plus I'd finally leave San Antonio. :D

ive interviewed at 10 schools this year. only one school had a 100% naplex passing rate class of 2012 at howard university. now howard university's pharmacy program has been around for 150 years. so all the other schools always have 1 or 2 students that dont pass the naplex. so i can guarantee that more than likely thatll be the case with a UNT from my interviews and the concerned i showed about the naplex my interviewer said "dont worry about the naplex its just to see if youre smart enough to become a pharmacist" im not i know ill do fine but what about the other 80-100 kids? can you guarantee me that ill have a legit shot at a job when i graduate or will i be tutoring kids during my P4 year and having naplex crash course seminars. again sounds like a lot of extra work....

and as far as saturation, there will never be enough pharmacists that is why there are so many pharmacy schools now. its just everyone gets a big head and thinks they deserve to live in a penthouse in new york city once theyve become a doctor. like any good pharmacist you need to show humility. relocate to a rural area and/or an area with primarily 65+ old citizens and work youre butt off to pay back those loans and get a reputation in the world field and then you can get your high rise in saturated markets. probably take you about 4-5 years. which isnt bad. its a long road and just cause school is over doesnt mean the journey of life and learning is over.

most medical professionals dont know anything about business, thats the problem. instead of worrying about making 10-15k less a year, think about how to reinvest your money (after paying back your loans of course) and making your money work for you. thats the way to true wealth; earning more than one income.

ive interviewed at 10 schools this year. only one school had a 100% naplex passing rate class of 2012 at howard university. now howard university's pharmacy program has been around for 150 years. so all the other schools always have 1 or 2 students that dont pass the naplex. so i can guarantee that more than likely thatll be the case with a UNT from my interviews and the concerned i showed about the naplex my interviewer said "dont worry about the naplex its just to see if youre smart enough to become a pharmacist" im not i know ill do fine but what about the other 80-100 kids? can you guarantee me that ill have a legit shot at a job when i graduate or will i be tutoring kids during my P4 year and having naplex crash course seminars. again sounds like a lot of extra work....

and as far as saturation, there will never be enough pharmacists that is why there are so many pharmacy schools now. its just everyone gets a big head and thinks they deserve to live in a penthouse in new york city once theyve become a doctor. like any good pharmacist you need to show humility. relocate to a rural area and/or an area with primarily 65+ old citizens and work youre butt off to pay back those loans and get a reputation in the world field and then you can get your high rise in saturated markets. probably take you about 4-5 years. which isnt bad. its a long road and just cause school is over doesnt mean the journey of life and learning is over.

most medical professionals dont know anything about business, thats the problem. instead of worrying about making 10-15k less a year, think about how to reinvest your money (after paying back your loans of course) and making your money work for you. thats the way to true wealth; earning more than one income.

A high rise in New York on 120k...good luck with that. Assuming 120k salary, 30% effective federal tax rate, 6.45% state income tax rate, payroll taxes and FICA....you're taking home about $5200/month. If that's not disheartening, I don't know what is. That's slumming it in NYC in case you're wondering.

More importantly--the issue of saturation needs to be addressed again since I didn't make it clear that I have an MBA in finance and was responsible for recruitment, retention and compensation for physicians and pharmacists. My job was to recruit healthcare professionals and evaluate trends in the number of graduating students. Over the last few years, we saw the number of pharmacy graduates increase so dramatically that we were able to pay them less in 2012 than we were in 2008. That's not a coincidence; with new pharmacy schools popping up on every corner it will continue to erode the profession.

I can't help it that I'm a numbers guy...but anyone who says that there aren't enough pharmacists is either oblivious or wants to ignore the facts. As for moving to a rural area....lifelong learning...that was very altruistic of you..

A high rise in New York on 120k...good luck with that. Assuming 120k salary, 30% effective federal tax rate, 6.45% state income tax rate, payroll taxes and FICA....you're taking home about $5200/month. If that's not disheartening, I don't know what is. That's slumming it in NYC in case you're wondering.

More importantly--the issue of saturation needs to be addressed again since I didn't make it clear that I have an MBA in finance and was responsible for recruitment, retention and compensation for physicians and pharmacists. My job was to recruit healthcare professionals and evaluate trends in the number of graduating students. Over the last few years, we saw the number of pharmacy graduates increase so dramatically that we were able to pay them less in 2012 than we were in 2008. That's not a coincidence; with new pharmacy schools popping up on every corner it will continue to erode the profession.

I can't help it that I'm a numbers guy...but anyone who says that there aren't enough pharmacists is either oblivious or wants to ignore the facts. As for moving to a rural area....lifelong learning...that was very altruistic of you..

I'm curious why you are on the pharmacy forums since it seems like you have a negative outlook on the future of the profession.

I'm curious why you are on the pharmacy forums since it seems like you have a negative outlook on the future of the profession.

I have a realistic outlook on the profession. Negativity would mean that I was debasing the profession, which I'm not. I've already applied and interviewed at various pharm and med schools during this cycle.

As someone who had real world experience, it bothers me when people put information out there that is inaccurate.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Sweet. I hope it's soon. The anticipation is killing me lol. I would really like the opportunity to go to this school. It would be so cool to start the various pharmacy traditions and programs. Plus I'd finally leave San Antonio. :D

I was thinking the same thing! I think it would be really fun to create the first pharmacy organizations at the school and lead the way for the future classes. Haha so did you apply to the school in San Antonio?

I was thinking the same thing! I think it would be really fun to create the first pharmacy organizations at the school and lead the way for the future classes. Haha so did you apply to the school in San Antonio?

Yes I did but I did not get accepted. Probably for the best though because tuition alone would put me about 120-130k in the hole.

Are you sure that EVERY single student has to pass the NAPLEX in order for the school to become accredited? Because someone asked the dean about that on my interview day and he said that was not true. Could someone clarify this for me? Where do you find information like this? I keep hearing different things about accreditation so I just want to find a final answer somewhere. I find it hard to believe that every student must pass the NAPLEX in order for the school to become accredited, when other top-notch schools that have been around for much longer, such as UT Austin, don't always have 100% passing rates. Usually it is very close, like 99% but still. I'm sure there are not many schools that have 100% every year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a huge expectation of a brand new school to have all students pass. So if only ONE student does not pass, then the school will not gain its accreditation status? That just seems extreme. How could something so important like accreditation depend on only one or two students that do not pass? It makes more logical sense for the ACPE to require a certain percentage of the class to pass.. or something like that. I don't know much about this though, so could someone who really knows for sure explain this to me?? Thank you!!

I have a realistic outlook on the profession. Negativity would mean that I was debasing the profession, which I'm not. I've already applied and interviewed at various pharm and med schools during this cycle.

As someone who had real world experience, it bothers me when people put information out there that is inaccurate.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

You do have a realistic outlook on the profession, so why apply to pharm/med schools if there is such an over-saturation in the job market?

Are you sure that EVERY single student has to pass the NAPLEX in order for the school to become accredited? Because someone asked the dean about that on my interview day and he said that was not true. Could someone clarify this for me? Where do you find information like this? I keep hearing different things about accreditation so I just want to find a final answer somewhere. I find it hard to believe that every student must pass the NAPLEX in order for the school to become accredited, when other top-notch schools that have been around for much longer, such as UT Austin, don't always have 100% passing rates. Usually it is very close, like 99% but still. I'm sure there are not many schools that have 100% every year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a huge expectation of a brand new school to have all students pass. So if only ONE student does not pass, then the school will not gain its accreditation status? That just seems extreme. How could something so important like accreditation depend on only one or two students that do not pass? It makes more logical sense for the ACPE to require a certain percentage of the class to pass.. or something like that. I don't know much about this though, so could someone who really knows for sure explain this to me?? Thank you!!

haha yeah, I agree with you completely. I asked the dean that question last Monday and he said it wasn't true so I'll take his word for it but it'd be nice to have some reassurance from the ACPE to put my mind at ease :cool:

haha yeah, I agree with you completely. I asked the dean that question last Monday and he said it wasn't true so I'll take his word for it but it'd be nice to have some reassurance from the ACPE to put my mind at ease :cool:

I know right! I hope we can get a straight answer from someone about this. But then again, I don't think the dean would be dishonest with us about it. And I'm pretty sure we were at the same interview session! Were you there Monday from 1-5?

I know right! I hope we can get a straight answer from someone about this. But then again, I don't think the dean would be dishonest with us about it. And I'm pretty sure we were at the same interview session! Were you there Monday from 1-5?

haha yepp! did I get to meet you there? also, those who interviewed two weeks ago should be hearing something back from UNT pretty soon :eek:

You do have a realistic outlook on the profession, so why apply to pharm/med schools if there is such an over-saturation in the job market?

While there's an over saturation of pharmacists, there's an extreme shortage of physicians, especially [primary care] in urban (low socioeconomic areas) and rural settings.

I applied to med school last year and was unsuccessful in getting in, so this year I applied to both. Again, I'm realistic and there was a chance I wouldn't get into med school again this year and I wasn't sitting out another year. From a business standpoint, I refer to this as risk mitigation.

While there's an over saturation of pharmacists, the salary (retail) will still hover around the 100k mark. It's a far cry from the 200k+ I'd make in medicine...BUT 100k in a fairly stable profession beats 100k in the business world these days, and probably for years to come.

Seeing as how I've gotten into med school this cycle, I still hang around the forum b/c I KNOW for a fact that I'm more informed on the accreditation process that anyone on here and I only pass credible information along.

While there's an over saturation of pharmacists, there's an extreme shortage of physicians, especially [primary care] in urban (low socioeconomic areas) and rural settings.

I applied to med school last year and was unsuccessful in getting in, so this year I applied to both. Again, I'm realistic and there was a chance I wouldn't get into med school again this year and I wasn't sitting out another year. From a business standpoint, I refer to this as risk mitigation.

While there's an over saturation of pharmacists, the salary (retail) will still hover around the 100k mark. It's a far cry from the 200k+ I'd make in medicine...BUT 100k in a fairly stable profession beats 100k in the business world these days, and probably for years to come.

Seeing as how I've gotten into med school this cycle, I still hang around the forum b/c I KNOW for a fact that I'm more informed on the accreditation process that anyone on here and I only pass credible information along.

If you're going into medical school for the money, then good luck. Health care is changing. Physician compensation is falling while malpractice insurance and lawsuits are rising. I believe students going into medical school nowadays aren't doing it for the prestige or the money, but for the well-being of their community. I haven't a clue if that's what you're in it for, but from I've read, it doesn't look that way. What do we know, though, this is just a forum, so we can't tell. Either way, good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

haha yepp! did I get to meet you there? also, those who interviewed two weeks ago should be hearing something back from UNT pretty soon :eek:

Yeah I'm pretty sure we met! We were talking about the stuff we were reading on this forum and you told me you went to A&M! (I figured from the name aggies and the A&M pic on the side that it was you) haha And yep they are meeting tomorrow to discuss the first round!

Yeah I'm pretty sure we met! We were talking about the stuff we were reading on this forum and you told me you went to A&M! (I figured from the name aggies and the A&M pic on the side that it was you) haha And yep they are meeting tomorrow to discuss the first round!

Do you know what interview dates are considered to be the 1st round? I interviewed on 2/18 and just got accepted to another program but UNT is my 1st choice so I really hope that they will review the 2/18s as well!!!

Do you know what interview dates are considered to be the 1st round? I interviewed on 2/18 and just got accepted to another program but UNT is my 1st choice so I really hope that they will review the 2/18s as well!!!

They told me they are going to meet 2 weeks from each interview day and discuss that group and then let us know sometime after that. So they are going to meet for the 2/18 group on March 4 and then let us know no later than mid-March! They told me to expect to get an email about 3 weeks from the interview date and it will tell us if we got accepted, denied, or waitlisted.

Had my interview today and just wanted to let everyone know that I really liked it a lot!! :) very nice faculty & impressive campus!

Has anyone heard anything that interviewed 1st round?
I read the AdComm met only yesterday but I'm feeling extra impatient right now!!

I just noticed today that UNT posted their curriculum on their website last week, for those of you wondering!

Please Rx 1981 can you share your statistics.
Holy piss bro in every thread I read you are asking everyone multiple times for their stats. If I ask for stats I give mine first. You are so fixed on stats, just calm down.

I applied here but was told that they would not accept my general bio courses b/c they were called something different at the university I attended. I still don't understand why they would not, I even have a degree in biology lol. I was told that I would be asked to interview if I could somehow take both courses by the end of the semester which had already started (wtf?). Anyways I withdrew my application. Good luck to all moving forward!

I applied here but was told that they would not accept my general bio courses b/c they were called something different at the university I attended. I still don't understand why they would not, I even have a degree in biology lol. I was told that I would be asked to interview if I could somehow take both courses by the end of the semester which had already started (wtf?). Anyways I withdrew my application. Good luck to all moving forward!

This happened to me too with micro. It was accepted at TTU and A&M but UNT didn't like it. They told me to try and go get into the class right now too. Didn't think it happened to anyone else.

Good luck to everyone though! :)