UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The facebook group just went from 147 members to 160 members. :nailbiting:

I saw that there is a pool of acceptances that had a deadline of May 7th for accepting their offers. Maybe people are starting to accept their offers so that's why the group went up. Hopefully they will send more offers out on Friday or Monday because of this! The wait is killing me :(

Members don't see this ad.

Does the application status change from received to reviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
178 now ;) but I think the class size is around 200 so 20 more people... Good luck guys.

Reactions: 1 user
And it's at 178. :-( I think we will be hearing back soon. Either I'm dying a little inside or I have dry socket.

Last edited:
I feel like they will only have two more "waves" of acceptances. Hopefully we're in those waves. Good luck, everyone!

I feel like they will only have two more "waves" of acceptances. Hopefully we're in those waves. Good luck, everyone!
Why do you believe there will be 2 waves? Thanks!

178 now ;) but I think the class size is around 200 so 20 more people... Good luck guys.

There are administrators and past year's MedScis (orientation leaders and tutors) in the group as well. Don't get too caught up in these numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
Why do you believe there will be 2 waves? Thanks!
Just a hunch, maybe three waves. Two waves of acceptances to reach the quota and finally, a final wave to accept any others who may have been wait-listed. I wouldn't take my comment too seriously, though. We'll just have to wait and see.

Just curious, how many of y'all remaining folks' application status says "has been reviewed"? Mine still says "received."

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, how many of y'all remaining folks' application status says "has been reviewed"? Mine still says "received."

Mine still says "received." I called up there to ask if it changes to reviewed and the lady said "not necessarily." She said that sometimes they don't get a chance to go into the system to update it. Other than that, I wasn't able to get any other information.

Btw, I know we shouldn't read too much into the number of members in the Facebook group, but.. it's at 183 now. :nailbiting:

Mine still says received/complete also, I applied early February. We're all getting apprehensive just playing the waiting game, but sometimes no news is good news.

same here.
could someone please post the link for their fb page/group? i couldn't find it.

thank you!
so if we haven't heard back anything at all yet.....do we assume that we're wait-listed? I figure that if they didn't want us, they'd just send out the rejection letters already

thank you!
so if we haven't heard back anything at all yet.....do we assume that we're wait-listed? I figure that if they didn't want us, they'd just send out the rejection letters already
No, you will get an email/status update soon indicating a denial, acceptance, or wait list decision. You can assume you were a "maybe" after the initial review basically.

Wait-listed, officially. Can anyone offer some insight on what this means, @closetgunner19?

Stats: 3.2 gpa, 26 mcat, lots of experience.

Probably means they've filled the class and created a wait list which they will pull people from as spots open up

"You have been placed on the wait list and will be considered for any openings..."

Reactions: 2 users
@cyberchondriac congrats on being placed on the Wait-List. I hope you get in and they let you know soon. I'm still waiting to find out my status. Applied December 24th and completed the app beginning of January. I really hope I get into this program. I have a phone interview with Texas Tech in El Paso this Monday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for one of these two schools to take me.

I just got my denial. MCAT: 23 GPA: 3.24

I just got denied as well. I had a 3.48 GPA and a 22 MCAT. I think my essays we're somewhat ****ty since I rushed and I did not add everything that I wanted to add. Good luck to everyone else!

I just got denied as well. I had a 3.48 GPA and a 22 MCAT. I think my essays we're somewhat ****ty since I rushed and I did not add everything that I wanted to add. Good luck to everyone else!
Thank you very much! Good luck with your endeavors. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us.

For those who may be interested:
Dear CYBERCHONDRIAC,
Thank you for your interest in the Medical Science graduate program at the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth. We have completed the evaluation of your application for admission and have placed you on the wait list. We will continue to consider applicants on the waitlist until May 22, 2015.

In recent years, the Medical Sciences program has enrolled anywhere from three to thirty-five students from the waitlist. Should you be admitted from the waitlist, you will receive a letter of acceptance. As a matter of procedure, the Office of Admissions discloses neither the number of applicants on the waitlist, nor the ranking of each applicant.

Your application materials will remain on file in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences for one year. Should you reapply next year, please notify us to include those materials in your application.

Why has my status not changed AT ALL.

@cyberchondriac, I have seen you post multiple times on this thread. I'm rooting for you!

Just recently got accepted but I cannot wait this long to get a house/move and so forth, so I decided to decline the offer. Hope one of y'all take my spot. Best of luck!

Can someone who has been accepted post/send me any information y'all have received about financial aid and if/when that will be released (did my FAFSA; I'm dirt poor so no worries there)? Sorry to be annoying, just trying to figure out how to be prepared to move if I need to! :) Thanks!

Can someone who has been accepted post/send me any information y'all have received about financial aid and if/when that will be released (did my FAFSA; I'm dirt poor so no worries there)? Sorry to be annoying, just trying to figure out how to be prepared to move if I need to! :) Thanks!

Nothing so far yet. I still waiting for them to send out the financial aid packages

So there are 209 group members (about 5 administration and old students), so there are about five spots left I'd imagine. I'm not feeling like I'm going to get one of those seats, so I thought I'd share my back-up plan for anyone in the same position and for some feedback. I'm going to get my second bachelor's in Biology (first in BS psych, minored bio) and I'm going to have a part time job at a hospital (or related field) and work my hiney off to make opportunities for myself that I'll be missing not being in this program. I'll apply for entering 2017. I'll keep hoping, but otherwise, this will be it! I'd love to connect on FB if you private message me here. Best wishes to all!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! Congratulations on those who have been accepted! I just completed the med sci program this year and am looking for a female or male roommate who needs housing. I am currently living with a med sci student from my class and I will be moving out May 22nd. Would anyone like to sign a 1yr lease starting June 1st? The apartments that I am at are an 8 minute drive to UNTHSC (pretty convenient) and my roommate (indian female) will be staying here. It's a 2bed/2bath ~$575.00 a month. Send me a private message if you or anyone you know is interested! I am looking to find someone to take my room ASAP!!

Last edited:

After you complete your FAFSA and are accepted, everyone will be offered a maximum amount of $20,000 in unsubsidized loans from the government. You also have the option of applying for a graduate PLUS loan, the maximum amount is the schools calculated cost of attendance ($44,000 last year) minus the $20,000 you are expected to accept in unsubsidized loans. I don't believe that anyone was denied their request for a PLUS loan. The money is disbursed in 3 equal amounts at the beginning of summer, fall and spring semesters. The summer one came a couple weeks into the semester.

I accepted the full $20,000 and applied for the maximum PLUS loan I could, so in total I took out $44,000. Remember, you will need to save some money for application fees and interview costs (flights, hotels, etc). Hope this helps.

"You have been placed on the wait list and will be considered for any openings..."

I was on the wait list last year for about a week before I got the call that I was accepted. There will be several people that are accepted off the waitlist as late as orientation next week because of late acceptances to medical school that free up spots.

Also, I see that you are thinking about getting a second bachelors degree if you do not get into the Med Sci program, but I would advise against this. In my opinion, it would be much more beneficial to study for the MCAT (if necessary) and pursue your plan of working at a clinic or hospital. Clinic hours, volunteer work and developing relationships to get awesome letters of recommendation will do a lot more for your application than a second bachelors degree will (and a lot cheaper!) Good luck!

PS: Don't forget that the UNTHSC Facebook group also includes CRM (Clinical research management) and Biotech students, so there may be a few more spots open than you think.

Last edited:
I was on the wait list last year for about a week before I got the call that I was accepted. There will be several people that are accepted off the waitlist as late as orientation next week because of late acceptances to medical school that free up spots.

Also, I see that you are thinking about getting a second bachelors degree if you do not get into the Med Sci program, but I would advise against this. In my opinion, it would be much more beneficial to study for the MCAT (if necessary) and pursue your plan of working at a clinic or hospital. Clinic hours, volunteer work and developing relationships to get awesome letters of recommendation will do a lot more for your application than a second bachelors degree will (and a lot cheaper!) Good luck!

PS: Don't forget that the UNTHSC Facebook group also includes CRM (Clinical research management) and Biotech students, so there may be a few more spots open than you think.
Thanks! Our email said they will stop considering waitlisted applicants tomorrow though. :-/ I appreciate the advice about the second bachelor's. I'll consider that for sure, but it will only be about 30 hours of upper division bio to get the degree because I already minored in biology, so it'll be minimal hours for summer and this year, so if I do choose that my classes should supplement my studying and I'll have time for work/volunteering. Thanks for the food for thought and the encouragement. :)

Reactions: 1 users

Update: I want to THANK YOU so much for bringing this up now. I was looking at transfer equivalency because of your comment, and it just doesn't seem like the second bachelor's will work for me. I will work this year and volunteer and MCAT prep, and reapply to this (and other SMPs) for next year, most likely. Still entering med school 2017 and it would be much cheaper and better for me. Thanks!

Of course, this would work out even better if I miraculously got accepted to this program now. Fingers crossed!

Congrats to those who are accepted! and I wish those that haven't gotten a positive response all the luck in the future! I've been reading this forum to try and figure out where in the processes the school might be in their decision making just to stay a little sane. I haven't been able to figure that out well but its still really been helpful in a way! I'm currently wait-listed and I was just wondering if you think the schools send all decisions out today, or if they've been sending out decisions within the past few weeks? Thanks once again for all the advice and update posts!

Congrats to those who are accepted! and I wish those that haven't gotten a positive response all the luck in the future! I've been reading this forum to try and figure out where in the processes the school might be in their decision making just to stay a little sane. I haven't been able to figure that out well but its still really been helpful in a way! I'm currently wait-listed and I was just wondering if you think the schools send all decisions out today, or if they've been sending out decisions within the past few weeks? Thanks once again for all the advice and update posts!
They said in the email they'd stop considering wait list applicants today, but I haven't heard anything. You might want to give them a call. Meaning I'm too nervous to do it so maybe someone else will. :p

They said in the email they'd stop considering wait list applicants today, but I haven't heard anything. You might want to give them a call. Meaning I'm too nervous to do it so maybe someone else will. :p

I wish i could be more help to you myself...i know how anxious you must be I'm the same way. I called a few times and the call is going straight to a voicemail asking us to leave a message..I think their phones were being blown up :(

No news. :-/ I have a scribe interview on Sunday so I would have liked to know today, but still would be pleasantly surprised to hear a "yes". Best of luck to those also still waitin' around! :)

I am looking to apply to unt masters program for next year. I graduated college in 2013 (top 20) and have been doing research at baylor college of medicine. I scored a 32 on the MCAT. However my gpa is a 2.99. Will I be able to apply or do I need to take community college courses to bump it up to a 3.0?

I am looking to apply to unt masters program for next year. I graduated college in 2013 (top 20) and have been doing research at baylor college of medicine. I scored a 32 on the MCAT. However my gpa is a 2.99. Will I be able to apply or do I need to take community college courses to bump it up to a 3.0?
What does it say on the UNTHSC MedSci requirements page?

You can apply. The 3.0 requirement is for graduating the med sci program.