UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know, I signed up for June 5th. Really curious to find out what went wrong with my application. Did you sign up ?
I will if I ever receive a decision. Lol Curious to know what happened though! You seem like a great applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an idea when the wait list is going to start up?
You can assume if you haven't herd anything you are on a wait list, or your application hasn't been reviewed. Like I said before ADCOM runs through the apps and picks who they want, places those they want to look at later in a pile, and deny others. I'm sure as it gets closer to the start of the program wait list information will be made available if there is one. Keep being patient there are a lot of applications for them to go through. ADCOM goes through each and every one of the applications and then discusses them, and with around 700 applications the process is obviously long.

Reactions: 2 users
@LTT2014 @aspiringdocO @ToothFairy27 Sorry I didn't get to reply all of last week! I was busy preparing for the April 18th MCAT. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. It seems I've underestimated the prices there haha It's also great to hear that we can start preceptorship early.

In regards to the preceptorship & summer schedule, Derrick Smith says that we are able to start the preceptorship now and get it out of the way before the summer term starts. He should be emailing current accepted students sometime this week with the details. He will also be sending us our summer schedule. So I would wait on getting that email before finding a PCP to shadow bc there are forms we have to send it to get it approved. Plus, the email is supposed to include a list of doctors to contact. Oh, and one FYI: you must acquire your 40 hours from the same doctor.

I hope this helps! :)

Thanks! That cleared up a lot of questions. Have you received Derrick's email yet?

Last edited:
Is it this week that Derrick is supposed to send our summer schedule?

I'm not sure. He told us at the preview day (2 weekends ago), he would email us the following week (last week). Still no email...I'm sure it will come soon. I know that Carla was saying they have their hands tied trying to get the current MedSci class ready for graduation and stuff. So I wouldn't worry about it.

I just took the new MCAT this past Friday and it was interesting. The physics section seemed fairly easy for some reason but as you may have guessed, a lot of it was geared towards the physics or chemistry of the body. There was very little o-chem from what I remember. The verbal section is the same as always. The behavioral science section was difficult but then again, I didn't study nearly as much as I wanted; there was a lot of vocabulary that I was unfamiliar with. It really should have been the easiest section but the KAPLAN book that I used did not prepare me for it all that well. The biology section involved a lot of biochem, but then again, a lot of the test was biochem. So, study biochem the most. I was fortunate enough to have it fresh on my mind.
Overall, it was an interesting test that I think tested endurance and was more logical than knowledge-based compared to the old MCAT. Hope this helped!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For those who have to take the PR MCAT class in the summer, are y'all on a register an August MCAT date now or wait until summer term starts? July/August dates just opened up today and I'm a little scared that they will fill up...any suggestions, current/past MedSci students??

For those who have to take the PR MCAT class in the summer, are y'all on a register an August MCAT date now or wait until summer term starts? July/August dates just opened up today and I'm a little scared that they will fill up...any suggestions, current/past MedSci students??
I probably should have done this rather than what I did. Everyone will say to take it in August after the PR class ends. So, you should probably register for that one unless you feel you will be prepared enough for the others in time.

I probably should have done this rather than what I did. Everyone will say to take it in August after the PR class ends. So, you should probably register for that one unless you feel you will be prepared enough for the others in time.

Good point. I hope to take the MCAT when the prep course is over, but I was just wondering is it ok to sign up for a test date NOW or LATER. :)

I'm planning on signing up for the 8/6 date later on today! I'm scared that the seats are gonna run out so I'm trying to register as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
@L3GACY did you take any practice exams?
I have taken old practice tests in the past but that was a while ago. I also took the MCAT before so I had a pretty good idea on how the exam would go apart from the behavioral sciences section. I didn't take the newest practice exam but I have heard that it was exactly what you would expect from the real thing. However, I have also heard from a few people that the behavioral sciences section was easier on the practice AAMC test, but others may say otherwise. The old MCAT is similar but it's a different test in the sense that it takes more endurance to get through. By the end, I was pretty burned out, which I think contributed to me not performing as well as I should have on the behavioral sciences section.

Has anyone heard anything this week?

I am a current Master's in Public Health student and will be graduating in May. I am also anxiously awaiting a response about the Med sci program. Also, just to let everyone know, I have a room for rent in my 3/2 bath fourplex located 17 minutes from campus. Currently the room is fully furnished but that can change if need be. The room rent is $675 per month if you plan on staying at least 6 months or longer. If you only need a room for less then 6 months, the rent is $750 per month. Ideally, I'm looking for someone to stay longer than 6 months. There is a washer and dryer inside the unit as well, and you would have access to your own parking space.

Message me if you're interested
Melissa

Contacted them and they said the review of all completed applications will be finished very soon.

Hey are you all receiving emails regarding movie night and Volunteering at UNT?

My application status changed today to "Congratulations! You have been admitted. You will receive an official letter in the mail within the week."!! I submitted my application on 3/13th. Best of luck to those who haven't heard back yet!

Reactions: 8 users
My application status changed today to "Congratulations! You have been admitted. You will receive an official letter in the mail within the week."!! I submitted my application on 3/13th. Best of luck to those who haven't heard back yet!
Congrats! :) mind sharing your stats?

Just saw the checkmark for completed and almost had a heart attack. -_-

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Application & fees submitted 03/06. Last transcript arrived 03/19.
Congrats to all whom got the acceptance today and best of luck to the rest. I look forward to a great academic year with you guys and gals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! I applied on 2/25 and my application was marked complete around 3/23.

Reactions: 6 users
For those accepted: When will the app workshop start? Will they offer essay revision service?

Last edited:
I did not get accepted as of today :( Best of luck to everyone who are still waiting and those of you who will be attending!

For those accepted: When will the app workshop start? Will they offer essay revision service?

I believe the workshops start the first or second day of classes and end June 8th? I have this date in the notes I took when I attended myHSC day. I may be wrong though...

I'm pretty sure there is a personal statement workshop, however I'm not sure of the specifics. I would hope that the services offered would include revisions.

I did not get accepted as of today :( Best of luck to everyone who are still waiting and those of you who will be attending!
You just received a rejection today? This waiting is killing me.

I believe the workshops start the first or second day of classes and end June 8th? I have this date in the notes I took when I attended myHSC day. I may be wrong though...

I'm pretty sure there is a personal statement workshop, however I'm not sure of the specifics. I would hope that the services offered would include revisions.
Pretty sure they will last longer than that, ours lasted until early july i think?? but the last couple are about interview tips, professionalism, and other stuff like that so its not like they wait that long to present relevant stuff for completing your apps.

Pretty sure they will last longer than that, ours lasted until early july i think?? but the last couple are about interview tips, professionalism, and other stuff like that so its not like they wait that long to present relevant stuff for completing your apps.

Good point. Well I wrote down that date for a reason lol, but I can't remember ATM why.

Accepted! application turned in march 12th, complete on march 13th! Best of luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 7 users
Monday can't come soon enough. Let's hope they get to the completed apps next week.

Best of luck to those awaiting an admission decision.

I just got accepted last week and subsequently registered for the Aug. 6 MCAT. I understand that the summer semester ends the first week in August; how likely is it that the program will interfere with my chosen MCAT test date? Will this be a conflict? I'd rather not have to reschedule.
Call and ask...

Current/ former MedSci students,
any tips/ advice you'd like to give us that you wish you had known before starting this program?