UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are probably reviewing a batch or 2 every week if there are in fact 1000 apps. My app has been under review for a week so i would think i'd hear something soon. I would think they are just reviewing a batch every week until they give everyone an answer

Yeah I figured that's how it would be. According to the other poster, they've already gone through all the applications, so that's why I was confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I figured that's how it would be. According to the other poster, they've already gone through all the applications, so that's why I was confused.

Yeah it was a bit confusing. I wish they were, but it does not seem likely

Our status online should say "under review" if this is in fact the case, but mine doesn't. Do you know if there's a reason?

Mine states, contact the admission office to know about your current status. My application is compete though, it's been complete since December 17th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
What date was your application received? You must be one of the first ones.

Nope, I submitted back in January and I still haven't received an ID/password to access my acct :(
Did you check your spam folder? I submitted my application on 12/28 and received my ID and password within minutes. I think it was an automated email.
I'd contact the recruiting office asap.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does anyone know of any OOS schools that take well to UNTHSC med sci students? I know of the Texas schools that do, but am just unsure of OOS. I want to apply while in the program (if accepted of course lol), and I do not want to spend a lot of money on OOS apps that may not be looked at due to a below avg GPA. I have not applied yet, so I am unsure if there is an option to choose that shows you are currently in the med sci program. I guess I could continuously send in transcripts to the schools?

is anyone else's portal say that their application has been received, but that it is still incomplete. i've submitted everything and have called to confirm that all materials my materials have been received. i think this just means their still processing my app? i was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation!

anyone know the acceptance rate is like? do they accept roughly 200 people out of 1000 applications?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read through last year's post, and it seems like Friday is the magical day. So the first batch of applicants might find out on Friday.
Now we wait and see :whoa:

I'm really nervous, and feeling hopeless. I looked at the stats of the people that got in last year, and mine are waaaay lower.

People began getting accepted march 11th last year so you arent jumping the gun at all

I've been in contact with the admissions office and contrary to what has been said here, I've been told that all applications are currently reviewed or under review, although the status on the application in your profile may not reflect this. Additionally, there is no hard date that has been given regarding when admissions decisions will be finalized and notifications sent. They are simply in progress and will be done "soon", or "in time for the students to make necessary arrangements if they accept admission". It's not a lot to go on, but it's probably better to accept that the situation calls for patience, rather than getting anxious about the wait. Lastly, while last year's thread is still available, comparing dates will not be a reliable method of determining when we might receive results from admissions - there are computer delays, there was a delay in the applications being made available, and the applicant pool (supposedly, although, I know that is often just something they say at admissions offices) is considerably larger than previous years. Any of these would be sufficient to push back the time table from the pre-Spring Break decisions some of us hoped for.

My advice would be to do something else in the meantime. Get your mind off the application. If it's submitted and complete, and you've confirmed that, then it's out of your hands for the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
urm checking in. How does this program review urms.

I can't answer for the MS program itself, but I've had a lifetime of experience with the medical campus, and I can say that it is heavily invested in creating a diverse student body, so it's probably favorable. (The usual caveats of being well-qualified apart from diversity, etc., but still.)

Apparently a lot of the decisions have already been plugged in or confirmed but the automated system takes a while to process it. I don't know what means but that's what I've been told. They don't have the greatest technical prowess, as noted by the failures during the application steps. .

Last edited:
All the inside info is very helpful, thanks for letting us know yall! Good luck everyone!

How strict is the 3.0 cutoff for the last 60hours? I kinda screwed up during my last year, but everything else before that was okay. That my biggest worry with all this

Just as nacrolepsypanda has said, my sources inside the program confirm the same thing (almost). They have reviewed most, if not all the applications, and are in the works of processing decisions.

Apparently a lot of the decisions have already been plugged in or confirmed but the automated system takes a while to process it. I don't know what means but that's what I've been told. They don't have the greatest technical prowess, as noted by the failures during the application steps. Also, from what I've been told they don't have a dedicated admissions committee for the Masters in Medical Sciences program. It's kind of makeshift and a lot of the admissions committee have full time commitments as faculty members so it's hard for them to do things constantly. All I know is that they usually meet on Fridays. Hope that helps and I'll try to get more updates.

I'm sorry to say, Careebou, that narcolepsypanda was completely correct, not almost. I'm not sure what your sources are but they are wrong. I spoke with the admissions assistant and she told me that the committee has only just begun meeting and they are not even close to being done reviewing and making decisions. Give them a break! There are so many of us trying to get into this program, they have like 800 applicants. And not a single school I've applied to has a dedicated admissions committee. of course the faculty makes up the admissions board. Who else would want to review us applicants than the people that are going to be teaching us?? And it's not their fault that there were technical difficulties...they used a new application this year, that kinda stuff is bound to happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Just gotta wait for the decisions!

Last edited:
narcolepsypanda: "I've been told that all applications are currently reviewed or under review, although the status on the application in your profile may not reflect this"

How is that entirely different than what I said? I'm not offering guarantees on the information but I'm just telling you what my friends in the program have told me. They could be offering generalizations, but as far my application is concerned, I know it has been reviewed.

Why would your friends know who has been reviewed? Are they on the review committee? didn't think so. I've called the admissions office so many times, they're probably tired of me, but that's the only source I'm trusting. I wouldn't trust anyone in the program whether they're your friends or not because the admissions people are not going to give that information out to students.

We're all in the same boat here. Good luck with your application!

Last edited:
narcolepsypanda: "I've been told that all applications are currently reviewed or under review, although the status on the application in your profile may not reflect this"

How is that entirely different than what I said? I'm not offering guarantees on the information but I'm just telling you what my friends in the program have told me. They could be offering generalizations, but as far my application is concerned, I know it has been reviewed.

Could I ask how you know that your application has been reviewed?

Does anyone know the weight that the administration committee puts on the essays that we submitted? I'm having anxiety over whether or not I put as much effort as I should have into it.

I have no guarantee it has been reviewed but the person above that says their application profile says "under review" submitted it after me. Just conjecture!

Reactions: 1 user
Tons and tons of student organizations to join here. If you're wanting to start one then there's the possibility of that as well.

Chill out dude. It's a brand new application system. Of course they're going to have tons of kinks. In all the previous years we literally had to paper mail in every little part of our applications. It was a lot worse than how you have it now. Trust me.

Hang in there, y'all. Good news is on it's way. I think this was about the time that I heard back about getting in last year. If anybody has any questions about housing or anything let me know! I try and answer any questions that I can.

Mr TM,

I also applied to their general masters in case I did not make it into this MedSci. Do you know by chance if they send out acceptances for those at relatively the same time? I'm getting anxious like all my fellow posters here.
thanks again and you're great! :)

How strict is the 3.0 cutoff for the last 60hours? I kinda screwed up during my last year, but everything else before that was okay. That my biggest worry with all this

GPA over the most recent 60 hours is one of the most heavily weighed stats on the application as it tends to indicate what kind of trend you are on when compared to your overall GPA... in most cases it also includes the majority of your upper division science courses if youre a bio major which many applicants are. I'm a previous medsci/current med student and this info is from when I met with the MedSci program director a little over 1 year ago.

This program recognizes that a student 3.7 gpa over the last 60 hours, a 3.3 overall GPA, and a 30 on their MCAT (old scale obviously) is a capable student that had a rough start to undergrad but will likely get screened out by med schools due primarily to the lower cGPA. For these students, MedSci is the perfect way to both increase their overall GPA, but also prove to AdComs that their lower cGPA is not truly reflective of their capability. I cant tell you how many of my classmates had a scenario similar to this.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the program, it makes sense to accept students like this. Their goal is to accept students that they believe will appeal to med schools and eventually succeed once they are there... but need just one final push on their app to get them there. Additionally, they realize that students excelling in their most recent 60 hours, again... probably your upper division science courses, will have a higher chance of succeeding in MedSci itself than someone struggling to make A's in their undergrad bio courses.

GPA over the most recent 60 hours is one of the most heavily weighed stats on the application as it tends to indicate what kind of trend you are on when compared to your overall GPA... in most cases it also includes the majority of your upper division science courses if youre a bio major which many applicants are. I'm a previous medsci/current med student and this info is from when I met with the MedSci program director a little over 1 year ago.

This program recognizes that a student 3.7 gpa over the last 60 hours, a 3.3 overall GPA, and a 30 on their MCAT (old scale obviously) is a capable student that had a rough start to undergrad but will likely get screened out by med schools due primarily to the lower cGPA. For these students, MedSci is the perfect way to both increase their overall GPA, but also prove to AdComs that their lower cGPA is not truly reflective of their capability. I cant tell you how many of my classmates had a scenario similar to this.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the program, it makes sense to accept students like this. Their goal is to accept students that they believe will appeal to med schools and eventually succeed once they are there... but need just one final push on their app to get them there. Additionally, they realize that students excelling in their most recent 60 hours, again... probably your upper division science courses, will have a higher chance of succeeding in MedSci itself than someone struggling to make A's in their undergrad bio courses.

Last edited:
Hi all - good news. I just received an acceptance email from the program! I know many of us have been waiting to hear back for quite some time now, so I wanted to be the first to tell y'all that the news is on its way. Best of luck to everyone, hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all - good news. I just received an acceptance email from the program! I know many of us have been waiting to hear back for quite some time now, so I wanted to be the first to tell y'all that the news is on its way. Best of luck to everyone, hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
i checked the online portal and it says

Please contact the admissions office to check on your current application status

Just got accepted!!!!

My stats are
3.71 gpa overall last 60 hrs closer to a 3.9
3.56 science gpa
Submitted dec 13th
DAT score 19 (top 22 percentile)

Good luck everyone cant wait to meet everyone!

I just received an acceptance email as well!

My portal status changed from being under review to "Congratulations! You have been admitted. You will receive an official letter in the mail within the week."

My application date was 1/18/2016 but but second letter of recommendation wasn't in until 3/3/2016 due to some difficulties.

GPA 3.7
MCAT 29

Good luck everyone!

For those of you who have already been accepted, congrats!!! Did your status change from "received" to "under review" before you were accepted?