Update after a few years; Graduated and unsure of my future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohlawdhecomin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I hope your days are going well. As of August 2022, I have graduated with a biomedical engineering bachelors (B.S.E., GPA: 3.1, sGPA: 2.7~) and I am currently a non-degree seeking master's student this semester to focus on a patent I'm working on while also a few classes, while hopefully working full time in the engineering industry.

My B.S.E. was filled with regret. I split my focus between pre-med and engineering, and ended up doing horribly in both. I dropped pre-med and focused on graduating. Furthermore, I have very recently been diagnosed with depression and ADHD and I have realized it has been something I have been suffering from for a large part of my life. As of now, I'm happy working in industry, but I still want to eventually go to medical school in a few years after I get my Master's and work for some time.

Is this something that I can do? If I decide to apply in 4 years from now, would I need to get another Bachelors/Masters? Would I need new research opportunities to focus on? Furthermore, can I undertake some clinical and non-clinical volunteering and build up the hours over a few years until the year I actually apply?

Thank you for your patience and help.

Attached is my resume if that is of any help:

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Read my post on reinvention for premeds.

Shadow doctors

Get in clinical exposure

Most importantly, get your mental health issues in order before you do anything else

Reactions: 5 users
It's NEVER too late! Medical school will always be there and you should apply when you feel the most confident in your capabilities to cope with becoming a medical student, be that mentally or physically or financially or whatever the case may be. There are plenty of other people who get into medicine with plenty of life experiences and previous careers so you do what's best for you in the now and know that when you're ready, you can most definitely pursue your passion for medicine. Good luck friend!

Reactions: 2 users