UPenn c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpc2wv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I noticed there wasn't a Penn thread yet so here we are! :welcome:
I applied last year but was accepted into the class of 2020 so where are all my potential future classmates?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a future classmate, but I can try to answer curriculum based questions. I'll likely stay away from admission based questions because it's been changing the last year or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the dart board theory?
I think @DVMDream came up with it? I forget the exact details, but I think it was that the adcoms get drunk during the happy hour after the interviews, then they put pictures of the interviewees on a wall and throw darts at them to decide who they offer acceptances to.

Reactions: 3 users
I think @DVMDream came up with it? I forget the exact details, but I think it was that the adcoms get drunk during the happy hour after the interviews, then they put pictures of the interviewees on a wall and throw darts at them to decide who they offer acceptances to.
Hahaha I don't know if that will help or hurt my chances.

What do you guys think of the essay/ I'm working on mine now. I'm not sure if I should write more about what I like about the program. Or what I bring to the table.
Right now I'm saying I like the one-health initiative and that I share an interest in it. As well as the I would benefit from its history. But I'm not sure this is what they are looking for...thoughts?

What do you guys think of the essay/ I'm working on mine now. I'm not sure if I should write more about what I like about the program. Or what I bring to the table.
Right now I'm saying I like the one-health initiative and that I share an interest in it. As well as the I would benefit from its history. But I'm not sure this is what they are looking for...thoughts?

Well this is new development.

Oh that makes sense based on everyone I know personally's experience with Penn. :rolleyes:

Penn has an essay now? I wonder what else they are changing this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to Penn as one of my first choices. I went to visit and get a tour and whatnot, but I am still having trouble verbalizing why I want to go there. I feel like everything I say will sound cliche. All in all though, Penn's application is a god-sent compared to some of the others.

hi guys! I'm applying here for sure. Good luck to you all!

Hello everyone! I'm applying to Penn this year as well. Third times the charm (hopefully!);)

I'm applying to Penn as one of my first choices. I went to visit and get a tour and whatnot, but I am still having trouble verbalizing why I want to go there. I feel like everything I say will sound cliche. All in all though, Penn's application is a god-sent compared to some of the others.
"Because the supplemental application took no more than five minutes of my time, and I have only the utmost respect for a program whose admissions committee exercises restraint." ;)

"Because the supplemental application took no more than five minutes of my time, and I have only the utmost respect for a program whose admissions committee exercises restraint." ;)

I mean, it took me more than 5 minutes to write a well-thought out response to that. Plus I called Penn and asked them what they're looking for and stuff.

Officially finished all my Penn stuff! Cannot wait for the day I can submit everything.

I'm applying, too! I talked to the director of admissions years ago at a career fair when I was first thinking about switching over to vet med. Found his business card in my wallet the other day, and it was weird. I'm hoping to contact the admissions office again soon to see if I can visit/tour before the summer's over.

I mean, it took me more than 5 minutes to write a well-thought out response to that. Plus I called Penn and asked them what they're looking for and stuff.

What'd they say when you asked?

looking through the supplementary application, it seems like it just provides the admin with an overview of our vmcas app and nothing else :O

looking through the supplementary application, it seems like it just provides the admin with an overview of our vmcas app and nothing else :O
I'm actually just seeing that now I totally thought it was just the questions section, oops. What else is there after the first page? Doesn't seem like I can save and finish later, so I'm just wondering...

I'm actually just seeing that now I totally thought it was just the questions section, oops. What else is there after the first page? Doesn't seem like I can save and finish later, so I'm just wondering...

I don't exactly remember what it is, but the hardest part is when it asks you to describe your experience with your field of interest (and obviously even that isn't too difficult haha). I believe it asked for who your recommenders are, your GPA and GRE scores, etc. All things you already put into VMCAS basically.

yep! exactly what koala1010 said

I think the hardest part for me is that both why I would be a good match and my primary interest are really similar.
I want to do stuff with one health which is why I like penn vet. But I don't know how to write my primary interest different enough.
Mrrp :confused:

I don't exactly remember what it is, but the hardest part is when it asks you to describe your experience with your field of interest (and obviously even that isn't too difficult haha). I believe it asked for who your recommenders are, your GPA and GRE scores, etc. All things you already put into VMCAS basically.
Yeah that's where I'm stuck haha. I'm not sure if I should go with exotics or small animal. My exotics experience so far is research mostly, so I don't have a lot to say since they're specifying VET experience. You think they're looking for a description of your experiences? ahem it's on VMCAS.

Yeah that's where I'm stuck haha. I'm not sure if I should go with exotics or small animal. My exotics experience so far is research mostly, so I don't have a lot to say since they're specifying VET experience. You think they're looking for a description of your experiences? ahem it's on VMCAS.
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Because they make you say "primary interest" from a drop box :/
Small animal then. You can mention in interview or elsewhere on your app that you have an interest in exotics. They're mostly looking to see that you have experience in your area of interest, and for LA/equine people they try to group them for one interview day to see New Bolton.

I was the same way except the opposite. I have about 200 hours in small animal and 1,000 or so in wildlife/exotics, but as of this point I think I want to do small animal. I put down small animal and talked about how I was interested in companion exotics and I have no problem explaining the discrepancies in my hours if they were to ask about it.

Good luck everyone!! I'm also applying.
Question about the "primary interest" dropbox as well:
I have almost equal amounts of experience in SA (~1,000 hrs) and wildlife (~780), with my interests being mostly in wildlife. Even though SA is more, I'm not sure which to put down as my primary interest/experience because my wildlife experience is mostly just research, not so much as vet experience. Thoughts?

Small animal then. You can mention in interview or elsewhere on your app that you have an interest in exotics. They're mostly looking to see that you have experience in your area of interest, and for LA/equine people they try to group them for one interview day to see New Bolton.

Hmm okay, thanks. I mean on my PS I claim that's what I want to do in my future, and I talked about liking their exotics programs on my essay about why I wanna go to Penn.. I just don't want it to be confusing, but my primary hours/experience so far are small animal even if that's not my interest.

Hmm okay, thanks. I mean on my PS I claim that's what I want to do in my future, and I talked about liking their exotics programs on my essay about why I wanna go to Penn.. I just don't want it to be confusing, but my primary hours/experience so far are small animal even if that's not my interest.
In that case putting exotics probably makes more sense. You want to be consistent. I had more SA experience than exotics but my interest is definitely zoo/exotics. It's just generally easier to rack up SA hours.

In that case putting exotics probably makes more sense. You want to be consistent. I had more SA experience than exotics but my interest is definitely zoo/exotics. It's just generally easier to rack up SA hours.

Okay, so you don't think it'll look bad that my only veterinary exotics experience is an Aquarium internship? Do I mention the research too, or will they be annoyed that I ignored the fact that they asked about veterinary experience.

Okay, so you don't think it'll look bad that my only veterinary exotics experience is an Aquarium internship? Do I mention the research too, or will they be annoyed that I ignored the fact that they asked about veterinary experience.

I'd honestly just contact the admissions office and ask them. They'll know best.

I would follow the instructions, so just mention the vet experience. How many hours do you have from the aquarium internship? I had about 250 from my aviary internship and that was the majority of my exotics veterinary experience.

There is an option for choosing research as your primary interest too, but yea if you're claiming an interest in exotics I think most likely you won't need to talk about research

I would follow the instructions, so just mention the vet experience. How many hours do you have from the aquarium internship? I had about 250 from my aviary internship and that was the majority of my exotics veterinary experience.

It's about 450, I just have close to 2000 in small animal, that's why it feels off, but I think I'll just email them.

There will be a (final?) SOV sighting at the Veterinary Hospital tomorrow. May be my last time there except perhaps as a client?
<I am training someone to maintain my database... >

So if you see an older guy who looks nostalgic but somehow suspicious... say hi.
Probably going to Copa for lunch!

Hey guys, I'm in the same position as @mpc2wv! I applied last year but was accepted for the class of 2020, so I'm spending the in-between year gaining PA residency. Excited to see some potential classmates here!

There will be a (final?) SOV sighting at the Veterinary Hospital tomorrow. May be my last time there except perhaps as a client?
<I am training someone to maintain my database... >

So if you see an older guy who looks nostalgic but somehow suspicious... say hi.
Probably going to Copa for lunch!
I'm not sure I'll be able to get to Copa, but it'd be cool to meet you!

guys! I will be attending Penn Vet next year as well. Looking forward to meeting all of you!! Anyone going for equine? Penn Vet c/o 2020!!

Hi All,
I have been on the edge about applying to Penn Vet. I don't know if my academic reference will make the cut off for my ELOR, but I have 3 veterinarians for my other ELORs. Is that a deal breaker? Penn Vet wouldn't be my first choice (although I am seriously interested in their VMD/PhD program), but I have some family in the state and I am trying to keep my options open.
Thanks for any input :)

Hey guys, I have a question... what exactly did you write for the part where it says "describe your interest"?

Are they looking to know what kind of experience I have? Or WHY I'm interested in that? Or what I wanna do in my future? It cuts you off at 500 characters, so I have no idea what I'm expected to do with this essay.

Hey guys, I have a question... what exactly did you write for the part where it says "describe your interest"?

Are they looking to know what kind of experience I have? Or WHY I'm interested in that? Or what I wanna do in my future? It cuts you off at 500 characters, so I have no idea what I'm expected to do with this essay.

I had a low amount of veterinary hours in the area I'm interested in compared to my overall experience so I made a little blurb about why research is my interest even though I don't have amazing hours in it. Just kind of a push to reinforce my interest preference over my other experiences.

When in doubt, you can always email Rob DiMeo from admissions! He is quick to respond and gives the most accurate answers since he's works in admissions.

I had a low amount of veterinary hours in the area I'm interested in compared to my overall experience so I made a little blurb about why research is my interest even though I don't have amazing hours in it. Just kind of a push to reinforce my interest preference over my other experiences.

When in doubt, you can always email Rob DiMeo from admissions! He is quick to respond and gives the most accurate answers since he's works in admissions.
I usually email Rosanne Herpen with Penn related questions, but I could try him too.

I sorta had a similar problem I have 2000 hours in SA and 450 in exotics but I'm claiming exotics as my interest, which I already said in my personal statement and my why Penn is a good match essay.... So I'm having trouble not having any overlap between them. I feel like its not too important since they only give you 500 characters, I just don't really understand the prompt to be honest. What I have now is kinda like "I'm interested in exotics, my vet hours are from when I interned at the aquarium, I loved what I did because example 1 and example 2 and that's why I want to be an exotics vet."

Hi All,
I have been on the edge about applying to Penn Vet. I don't know if my academic reference will make the cut off for my ELOR, but I have 3 veterinarians for my other ELORs. Is that a deal breaker? Penn Vet wouldn't be my first choice (although I am seriously interested in their VMD/PhD program), but I have some family in the state and I am trying to keep my options open.
Thanks for any input :)
Better to ask admissions directly. Also pester the ever-loving hell out of your academic reference - don't let one eLOR keep you from otherwise applying to a program you're (in some way) excited about!

FWIW, Penn at first said I was missing an academic reference when I submitted my app. I had to call the admissions office and sort it out (my reference wasn't a traditional professor). It seems like Penn really does check and care about having that academic eLOR writer.

I usually email Rosanne Herpen with Penn related questions, but I could try him too.

I sorta had a similar problem I have 2000 hours in SA and 450 in exotics but I'm claiming exotics as my interest, which I already said in my personal statement and my why Penn is a good match essay.... So I'm having trouble not having any overlap between them. I feel like its not too important since they only give you 500 characters, I just don't really understand the prompt to be honest. What I have now is kinda like "I'm interested in exotics, my vet hours are from when I interned at the aquarium, I loved what I did because example 1 and example 2 and that's why I want to be an exotics vet."

Ah cool! I just usually go for Rob since I know him from touring Penn a bunch of times with school groups and his email is the contact at the bottom of the supplemental but I'm sure everyone in admissions is equally great for asking about this subject.

Yeah I totally understand the personal statement, Penn essay, and supplemental overlap! I felt like a broken record with my interest but rephrasing it helped me get through it and even think of more reason why Penn is the school for me. Good luck working through your app!

Ah cool! I just usually go for Rob since I know him from touring Penn a bunch of times with school groups and his email is the contact at the bottom of the supplemental but I'm sure everyone in admissions is equally great for asking about this subject.

Yeah I totally understand the personal statement, Penn essay, and supplemental overlap! I felt like a broken record with my interest but rephrasing it helped me get through it and even think of more reason why Penn is the school for me. Good luck working through your app!

I emailed Rob and he did get back to me right away! Not sure if anyone else was still wondering, but it's really just clarifying what you're interested in. The example he gave was that since I said exotics, I should clarify whether this is zoo, wildlife, pocket pets, etc. He said not to fret about it if my interest is outlined in other places on the application, and to just briefly restate it, but I guess on some people's it's hard to tell that they are interested in, so that's why they have that question there.