UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wahwah - ive had lexow for a couple of classes.

Are you pre-health? If so, I wouldn't take lexow without taking a full year of pre-health classes. I think the pre-reqs may even be an intro biochem/cell bio course

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Rob, what is your experience (if any) with SS linkage? I know SS students are only eligible for RWJMS (which is fine by me). Do you recall if a decent number of your classmates successfully linked into the program?

I have no doubt that I'll be able to maintain a 3.6 (and the MCAT is already taken care of). Would the applicant still be subjected to further screening, provided they achieve these stats or is it a guarantee?

(By the way, thanks for all of your previous posts... very helpful)

None of the SS people link because there is some really quirky fine print they dont tell you about.
If you ever got a C in a pre-req you are ineligble, and if you have already taken the MCAT you are ineligible. Also, if you aren't an NJ resident - you've got like no shot anyways. The UMDNJs are very in-state friendly

There is another SS linkage but i forget what it is off the top of my head but again no-one does it.

Also, don't assume you can maintain a 3.6 - its not a complete cake walk. Lot of smart ppl hang around the 3.4-3.5 mark....a few classes are graded on a curve

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the SS people link because there is some really quirky fine print they dont tell you about.
If you ever got a C in a pre-req you are ineligble, and if you have already taken the MCAT you are ineligible. Also, if you aren't an NJ resident - you've got like no shot anyways. The UMDNJs are very in-state friendly

There is another SS linkage but i forget what it is off the top of my head but again no-one does it.

Also, don't assume you can maintain a 3.6 - its not a complete cake walk. Lot of smart ppl hang around the 3.4-3.5 mark....a few classes are graded on a curve

:eek: I see. Thank you for the insight... goodbye Penn. (By the way, the other linkage = Philly Osteo = no thanks)

Np - looking at ur medapps, Penn SSP isnt a good fit for you anyways.

You have the GPA and MCAT, and seemingly the EC - there must be a hole somewhere. An MPH would be a solid option for you - make you standout a bit.

I concur with carbear02 on the fees thing - not sure what dendrite's situation was but I think carbear has it straight.

does anyone know if BIBB 109 601 has to be concurrently taken with the lab BIBB 109 602?

or can i just forgo the lab BIBB 109 602 and 603 completely?

Hey guys,

I am trying to register for my summer classes but Penn Intouch is saying that I am allowed to take only 0.5 CU (then when I try to add anything it says that I am exceeding the number of credits allowed)...has anybody have that problem?

Thanks a lot !

Email Sally Cardy about it

Were you accepted for summer? I presume you were since you brought it up, but to take any summer classes you have to be explicitly accepted for them or get permission

First time on SDN in 2 years. I'm glad to see that Penn Postbac has its own running thread, of which I see some of my old posts on the first page, heh..

I've heard about all the changes that have occurred since I finished my postbac coursework three years ago. Back then it was Grace who was basically leaving at the same time to go to Temple, which was good timing because she must have put together a stellar committee letter.

Now it seems that the only thing that hasn't changed at CGS is Sally Cardy, and ha, I remember you had to keep hounding her to get stuff done. But she did get stuff done for me, which I appreciated.

How are the current post-bacs enjoying their experience? Anyone know if Dr. Pietrovito is still teaching Chem 101 and 102? That guy is classic! And Dr. Hollander probably still runs a tight ship in the ED, right? Good times..

First time on SDN in 2 years. I'm glad to see that Penn Postbac has its own running thread, of which I see some of my old posts on the first page, heh..

I've heard about all the changes that have occurred since I finished my postbac coursework three years ago. Back then it was Grace who was basically leaving at the same time to go to Temple, which was good timing because she must have put together a stellar committee letter.

Now it seems that the only thing that hasn't changed at CGS is Sally Cardy, and ha, I remember you had to keep hounding her to get stuff done. But she did get stuff done for me, which I appreciated.

How are the current post-bacs enjoying their experience? Anyone know if Dr. Pietrovito is still teaching Chem 101 and 102? That guy is classic! And Dr. Hollander probably still runs a tight ship in the ED, right? Good times..

Hey road runner! Dr. P is still around and awesome as usual.
Can I ask you a few questions? It seems to be tough to tell if people from this program actually get into medical school. We are all wondering who these people are, who actually get in! I've been doing quite well in the program so far, mostly A's (with a B+ in physics), but I still have a lot of anxiety about the quality of the program.
Do you know people who attended the post bacc who recently got into med school? Where are you in med school?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ringledingle - i finished the program in May 2010, applied to 29 MD/DO and got into 4 MD and 1 DO school; also withdraw 22 of my applications (see MDAPPS for details). I start an MD school in August

PM me with more specific questions

Is this the most recent thread for UPenn?

My stats are
3.26 cGPA, 3.16 sGPA, 33Q MCAT psych major

I applied to the SS program. If i understand correctly the classes I take under the SS program will average into my ugrad GPA?

i am waiting to hear a response back from Upenn. How would one compare this to a different program like BU MAMS? Can anyone help me choose which would be a better fit for me?

Thanks.

Welcome Wreck - this is the thread for UPenn. Its easier to keep everything in one place than reopen a thread every new year. Especially because there isnt that much traffic on here for penn.

So yes, all SSP classes will go into your undergrad GPA.

Its very different than BU MAMS in that those grades will be all graduate and potentially medical school classes whereas none of SSP's are.

To be honest, i think BU MAMS is a better fit for you based ont he numbers you put. This best way to do it is calculate a full year of classes at 3.7 GPA (dont do 4.0, everyone thinks that - very few do it) and see what your final cGPA and sGPA are. If you don't break around 3.4 cGPA (which i doubt, but you might be able to) then I think BU is the better fit.

Welcome Wreck - this is the thread for UPenn. Its easier to keep everything in one place than reopen a thread every new year. Especially because there isnt that much traffic on here for penn.

So yes, all SSP classes will go into your undergrad GPA.

Its very different than BU MAMS in that those grades will be all graduate and potentially medical school classes whereas none of SSP's are.

To be honest, i think BU MAMS is a better fit for you based ont he numbers you put. This best way to do it is calculate a full year of classes at 3.7 GPA (dont do 4.0, everyone thinks that - very few do it) and see what your final cGPA and sGPA are. If you don't break around 3.4 cGPA (which i doubt, but you might be able to) then I think BU is the better fit.

How are you getting the 3.4 cutoff gpa? just a gpa that some med schools would consider after the SSP? Do you know who I could talk to in order to get a better idea of all of this?

Thanks for the response!

The 3.4 cGPA is kind of a lower boundary which I would consider applying to medical school with. Hence, if you can't get there - you might get more bang for your buck for the SMP.
When I applied, I didn't want to risk an SMP as I could raise my cGPA from slightly uncompetitive to the average cGPAs for the accepted med student. So, for me it was a better fit and less risk than an SMP - it also held an SMP in reserve in case it didn't work.

Someone to talk to? At Penn? - if so, they will tell you to come here. They always do. Its $$$$ thats why.

I think this program is good for some people but to be honest, its not going to repair low GPAs in the same way that an SMP would. Its good (SSP that is) for those that need a small kick to get into the competitive range. You need a moderate size kick up in the GPA department, certainly not disaster recovery hence why the 3.4 thing.

The 3.4 cGPA is kind of a lower boundary which I would consider applying to medical school with. Hence, if you can't get there - you might get more bang for your buck for the SMP.
When I applied, I didn't want to risk an SMP as I could raise my cGPA from slightly uncompetitive to the average cGPAs for the accepted med student. So, for me it was a better fit and less risk than an SMP - it also held an SMP in reserve in case it didn't work.

Someone to talk to? At Penn? - if so, they will tell you to come here. They always do. Its $$$$ thats why.

I think this program is good for some people but to be honest, its not going to repair low GPAs in the same way that an SMP would. Its good (SSP that is) for those that need a small kick to get into the competitive range. You need a moderate size kick up in the GPA department, certainly not disaster recovery hence why the 3.4 thing.

Were most of your classes at night? are they undergrad classes that SSP offers? or grad or M1?

Were most of your classes at night? are they undergrad classes that SSP offers? or grad or M1?
As I said in post #1067, none of SSP's classes are grad or MS

They are at night, without the undergrads, however you can petition the school to take a day class w/ugrads but it typically costs 1.5x as much as the regular night class and they don't make that many exceptions.

how many students are there in this program?
how many apply?
is this the first year with a summer program?

HamidNia101:
1) No idea, a lot
2) No idea, a lot more
3) huh? There is a summer component but its probably filled and so you'd have to start in the fall

i have a cGPA of 3.2 and sGPA of 3.1.
i haven't taken my MCATs yet, but i have a load of clinical volunteering and research experience (which I would continue during Penn's postbacc).

would this program be a right fit for me?

I have an interview for starting in summer in two weeks
Wow - enrollment must not be that high this year. I remember summer locked out very early last year, and the year before. Good for you though

i have a cGPA of 3.2 and sGPA of 3.1.
i haven't taken my MCATs yet, but i have a load of clinical volunteering and research experience (which I would continue during Penn's postbacc).

would this program be a right fit for me?
On the surface i'd say not wahwah, much in the same line of thinking as xwreck. SSP is good for those who would be at the high end of SMP's and only need a little kick into competitive range. Do the calculation of 1 yr at 3.7 GPA and see if that puts ur cGPA into competitive levels. If it doesnt, than an SMP is prob a better fit.

I applied a few days before the April 1 deadline, and they processed my application in a little over a week.

so would you say this program is similar to the first year of medical school?

so would you say this program is similar to the first year of medical school?
Not even remotely - I suggest having a read of the program description on the school website, as well as the last couple of pages of this thread

fair enough. can i ask three questions?

1. what is the advantage of this program over an SMP?
2. i want to finish in one year. if i matriculate in late summer, can i take a higher course-load throughout the year to compensate?
2. this one has to do with timeline. i will submit an AMCAS in june, and will matriculate to the pre health special studies program soon thereafter. will this have a positive impact on the june 2011 application, or must i wait until i complete the program, get my grades and letters of rec, and subsequently have a gap year. are you guys accepted to another school?

thanks

Hamidnia;
1) It costs about half, and allows you to take upper-level sci ugrad classes that you might not have been able to take at your previous ugrad school. It also allows you to still take an SMP if you need the additional help
2) I'm not sure what you mean about taking a higher course load to finish. If you go full-time as an SSP student, then you need 8 CUs to get the certificate - which is four classes a semester, which isn't really overloading. Its kind of just normal.
3) You cannot get a letter of rec from the program until you have done a certain number of CUs (penn's name for credits). You wouldn't be able to get a LOR until your 2nd semester in the program for the upcoming cycle. 99% of SSP students take a gap year from my experience. You can apply to med schools before you start the program, but they wont see your first semester grades until january obviously.

And is whom accepted to other schools? People like me in regard to other medical schools? Or are you asking other people who are in the process of apply to upenn ssp/pre-health?

A bit off-topic from where this thread was, but has anybody gotten into the LPS program straight out of undergrad? I hate to be posting a "chances" reply, but here goes:

I'll be graduating from UChicago this spring with a degree in the humanities -- cGPA3.8, sGPA4.0 (but science courses open to nonmajors). I have years of volunteering experience in education, but less than a year volunteering in the health field.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, people come here straight from undergrad. Quite a few actually.

Have you done the pre-reqs? If not, then think about a top tier program first - like bm, scripps, goucher, JH.

I am writing my UPenn application essay question 7, that asks to list the college science level courses taken with grades
I want to know if they are only asking for classes of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths,.....or one could also include other science courses like Biochemistry, Microbiology, Evolution, Ecology...e.t.c
Advice please...thanks

Can one's resume be over one page in lenght, and format/ideas you guys included in yours, ex, work experience/volunteer/ awards, etc
Thanks

1) Yes, list all sciences courses

2) Most people's resumes shouldn't be over one page in length. Only include what you did since you started college or within the last 4 years. No-one cares at this point what you did in HS. And in terms of format, dont sweat it so much - just download a microsoft template and fill it out. The interview/admission process for penn isnt that intense

Yes, people come here straight from undergrad. Quite a few actually.

Have you done the pre-reqs? If not, then think about a top tier program first - like bm, scripps, goucher, JH.

Good to know! Haven't done the pre-reqs, but I'd like to start taking classes this fall, so I'm holding off on the fancy programs.

Hey everyone! I've posted before but never in the Penn thread. I've completed my applications for HES and UPenn, but I've seen a lot of discussion on here about "top tier" or highly ranked programs. I'm really interested to see where I fall in the program options. I should say that I'm from the South; I was advised to attend an east or west coast post-bacc in order to improve my competitive med school chances. Let's begin with a breakdown of my stats:

Undergrad - University of Houston, B.A. Theatre Arts (Talk about non-trad!)
Science GPA: 3.3
Non-Science GPA: 3.6
SAT: 1160
GRE: In July!

I also have over 100 hours volunteering, continue to do so weekly, and have participated as a data analyst for several doctors and research teams at MD Anderson.

So. The big question here is: do UPenn and HES fit my student profile? I understand that my science GPA is low but get nervous when "top tier" is mentioned. Am I wasting my time even going to a non-top tier program? If I cannot get into the schools of my choice in the future, then what is the point? I'd love to apply to BM, Goucher, and JHU, but I understand I wouldn't be a good academic fit especially after reading student profiles. I haven't traveled to Africa or have an epidemiology degree, so JHU probably won't give me a second look, lol.

Just curious, appreciate the feedback. I really want to make sure if I am blowing my savings and moving across the country that I do so with good reason. :oops:

- Jennet

I received an invitation to interview on May 2nd for the summer program...but I am just wondering if anybody knows how close that is to the start date for summer classes? It might be a litttttle difficult to find housing/etc in, say, a week. Thanks!

So. The big question here is: do UPenn and HES fit my student profile? I understand that my science GPA is low but get nervous when "top tier" is mentioned. Am I wasting my time even going to a non-top tier program? If I cannot get into the schools of my choice in the future, then what is the point?
I'd do HES in your shoes if you can't get into one of the ones you mentioned. Penn is a good option, but its pricey, and unless you have a burning desire to be in Philly. HES is cheaper with better overall numbers.

That being said i'd go to Penn over Tufts, or any of the NYC programs

I received an invitation to interview on May 2nd for the summer program...but I am just wondering if anybody knows how close that is to the start date for summer classes? It might be a litttttle difficult to find housing/etc in, say, a week. Thanks!

You might get a decision around 5/16 as they typically take about 2 weeks to get back to people.

I must admit i'm amazed they even have spots left open for the summer. In previous years, its been filled in like feb/march

got my acceptance email for Specialized Studies fall start today...

if anyone has any questions about the interview, my stats, etc., PM me...i'd be happy to help!

Hello,

I've been a troller for quite awhile around these parts, I was wondering...

@Providence: When did you interview? I just interviewed on Monday for Core studies, I've heard varying things on how long it takes for a "decision." I have a friend who was accepted into core one week from interview... so just interested...

Congrats as well!

Also, if anyone has any questions on the interview for Core studies etc. you can ask me as well. I currently work in Philadelphia at a teaching hospital and take classes at Drexel so, any Philly questions I can answer too.

Hello, I've been a troller for quite awhile around these parts...

... and by troller, you mean lurker? ;)

Troll: One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Lurker: A lurker is someone that follows the forum but doesn’t post.

Anyway, I'll throw my name into the hat too. I was recently interview/accepted to the specialized studies program (don't know if I'll be attending yet). PM me if you have any questions on the application process.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccepted!

Congratulations! I can't remember, are you Core or advanced-sciences etc.?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=360892VetrnWalla- I was interviewed on Monday 4/18 and given a decision the following Tuesday 4/26. According to the program staff, they meet at the beginning of every week to deliberate about prospective candidates. Most people hear the following week, but it won't ever exceed 2 weeks.