UPenn vs. UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanj04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although UPenn has "name"/prestige, based on my interview days they both seem really strong and I enjoyed my interview days at both places. I have heard that name is important for academics, and while I want to go into academics, at the moment I don't have my sights set on being a department chair or program director etc. Though I don't want to rule out the possibility of pursuing those types of positions if in the future I decide that's right for me as I progress through training/my career.

UW does not have that same Ivy League name, however the institution covers five states, and since that is such a large area, I feel like if I went there I would see everything and be very well-trained. UW has residents rotate at more than one hospital, and while some people think this is a negative, I don't think it's a huge factor. If anything, rotating through different hospitals and adapting to different environments will be a useful educational experience.

I'm thinking that I will likely do a fellowship, I'm just not sure which one at this time and want to go to a program where I can explore each one.

I'm currently on the east coast and have family there, but I'm open to going west. While the idea of staying in an area I am more familiar with (Philly) is very appealing, I also think it would be really exciting to go experience a new city in a totally different part of the country (Seattle is sooo beautiful). I realize that if I train out west, I may end up getting a job there and staying, and I am open to this possibility, however I'm not set on that and am afraid that if I try to come back east I will not be able to.

I'm struggling with which to rank first. Any opinions or insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say they are similar in terms of name/prestige/whatever. You can go into academics from either program.

Although UPenn has "name"/prestige, based on my interview days they both seem really strong and I enjoyed my interview days at both places. I have heard that name is important for academics, and while I want to go into academics, at the moment I don't have my sights set on being a department chair or program director etc. Though I don't want to rule out the possibility of pursuing those types of positions if in the future I decide that's right for me as I progress through training/my career.

UW does not have that same Ivy League name, however the institution covers five states, and since that is such a large area, I feel like if I went there I would see everything and be very well-trained. UW has residents rotate at more than one hospital, and while some people think this is a negative, I don't think it's a huge factor. If anything, rotating through different hospitals and adapting to different environments will be a useful educational experience.

I'm thinking that I will likely do a fellowship, I'm just not sure which one at this time and want to go to a program where I can explore each one.

I'm currently on the east coast and have family there, but I'm open to going west. While the idea of staying in an area I am more familiar with (Philly) is very appealing, I also think it would be really exciting to go experience a new city in a totally different part of the country (Seattle is sooo beautiful). I realize that if I train out west, I may end up getting a job there and staying, and I am open to this possibility, however I'm not set on that and am afraid that if I try to come back east I will not be able to.

I'm struggling with which to rank first. Any opinions or insight?
I would think if you want to end up back East, then wouldn't a name that's generally stronger in a certain region, the East (UPenn) be better for you?

Seattle is definitely beautiful (though not all year round!), but why not just visit Seattle and enjoy it on vacation? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses! I'll get good training at either place and I think now I just have to figure out which place I want to live in. Although I think that Seattle > Philly in terms of living, Seattle is really far away from my family. I guess I still have a lot of time to think about it before rank lists are due.

Reactions: 1 user
if being close to your family is important to you, rank penn higher. flying coast to coast is a big pain in the butt

Reactions: 1 user
Distance from family aside, I'd be interested in hearing from people who are training or recently trained at UW or UPenn. Before I went to my interviews I heard that both places have a reputation for being large, impersonal "workhorse" programs, but I didn't get that impression at either place. While I want to dismiss those rumors, I was only at each place for one day so I feel like I cannot be sure.

You're never going to be sure. At some point, you're just going to have to pull the trigger and make a decision. It probably doesn't really matter anyway.

Distance from family aside, I'd be interested in hearing from people who are training or recently trained at UW or UPenn. Before I went to my interviews I heard that both places have a reputation for being large, impersonal "workhorse" programs, but I didn't get that impression at either place. While I want to dismiss those rumors, I was only at each place for one day so I feel like I cannot be sure.

Didn't apply to uw but you didn't get the impression that upenn was a workhorse program? That was the only impression I did get from the place. That and the chair was more interested in the repair of the ceiling going on outside his doorway than the conversation we were having (Penn got ranked low after that conversation).

Very simple if you think you are going to work on the east-coast then go to UPENN.

I think I am going to want to work on the east coast, so I think I have my answer.

The reason why I didn't get a "workhorse" vibe from them was because although they emphasize that they work hard, I got the sense that they work hard because there is a high volume and not because residents are "forced" to work longer. I came away with the impression that residents work hard within work hour limits and the attendings are the ones who are working the hardest. And also the residents I met seemed really happy, and like they have normal lives outside of work (as normal as one's life can be as a resident).