US News Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Romazicon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As all of us are applying, have applied, or looking to apply there's no doubt that we've all tried to search the ranking of the schools we are interested in.

What are your views on US News Ranking on each of the programs?

I personally have applied to UNT, UTSW, and TWU for the next cycle (in Texas).

UTSW is ranked #63
TWU is ranked #27
and UNT is not even ranked (I can understand that).

So what are the criteria of how these schools are ranked? I received an interview to UTSW and I'm just waiting to hear from the other schools. TWU doesn't do interviews (and cheaper), so it seems that it's "easier" to get into this school without an interview than UTSW; it was "harder" to apply to UTSW (PTCAS and more expensive). Is the funding that goes into the schools that ranks them?

To those who are current students, what are your views? What do you think about this? And....is this type of ranking even important? I know that it's an individual opinion in terms of choosing where to go, but I'm just trying to find other information that I haven't learned about each of these schools.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They are based on peer opinions. You should have used the search function -- this subject has been covered multiple times.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's where they explain the methodology they used for the rankings:
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...3/10/methodology-best-health-schools-rankings

Those US News rankings don't really mean a whole lot. Both TWU and UTSW are great programs (I don't know anything about UNT). TWU doesn't interview because research shows that interviewers tend to favor people who are most like themselves, and they want a diverse student body without putting in any unconscious bias. There is no evidence that successful interviews predict success in PT school or passing the NPTE.

Judge the programs by tuition rates, first-time NPTE pass rates, and your own preferences regarding the campus, the "culture" of the program, specialties of faculty, curriculum, clinical sites, etc. When you go for your UTSW interview, find out as much as you can about what it's like to go there. If you get accepted to TWU, they will invite you to an "applicant forum" to meet the faculty & current students, get a tour, and do all the things that usually happen on interview days, but without the interview. Then you can make your decisions based on the specific programs rather than a peer-review based ranking. Good luck!

Here's where they explain the methodology they used for the rankings:
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...3/10/methodology-best-health-schools-rankings

Those US News rankings don't really mean a whole lot. Both TWU and UTSW are great programs (I don't know anything about UNT). TWU doesn't interview because research shows that interviewers tend to favor people who are most like themselves, and they want a diverse student body without putting in any unconscious bias. There is no evidence that successful interviews predict success in PT school or passing the NPTE.

Judge the programs by tuition rates, first-time NPTE pass rates, and your own preferences regarding the campus, the "culture" of the program, specialties of faculty, curriculum, clinical sites, etc. When you go for your UTSW interview, find out as much as you can about what it's like to go there. If you get accepted to TWU, they will invite you to an "applicant forum" to meet the faculty & current students, get a tour, and do all the things that usually happen on interview days, but without the interview. Then you can make your decisions based on the specific programs rather than a peer-review based ranking. Good luck!
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this reply. I appreciate the advice and I will do that exactly! :) Have a great day.