Program-Specific Info / Q's USC 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was admitted into USC but am hesitant about the price (I'm sure most are). Are people just going to take out loans? I'm honestly curious how people are paying for it. I feel like I'm missing out on some big secret. Haha I applied for their scholarships and know about others, but I still am uneasy about debt. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I was admitted into USC but am hesitant about the price (I'm sure most are). Are people just going to take out loans? I'm honestly curious how people are paying for it. I feel like I'm missing out on some big secret. Haha I applied for their scholarships and know about others, but I still am uneasy about debt. Thanks for any help!
I'm assuming a majority of students will be taking out loans :/ The amount of debt I'll have when I finish school is kinda unfathomable. But considering the connections I'll make and my strong preference to stay local, SC is a pretty clear choice for me. I've calculated how long/ how much it'll take me to re-pay my loans and it's very stressful, but I think I can still manage a comfortable life. If you have less expensive options then I would weigh that (very) heavily. As for me, I would much rather get a move on in my career than apply again and wait another year to see if I'll get into a cheaper program. This is just my perspective. I'm curious to hear what others have to say :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm assuming a majority of students will be taking out loans :/ The amount of debt I'll have when I finish school is kinda unfathomable. But considering the connections I'll make and my strong preference to stay local, SC is a pretty clear choice for me. I've calculated how long/ how much it'll take me to re-pay my loans and it's very stressful, but I think I can still manage a comfortable life. If you have less expensive options then I would weigh that (very) heavily. As for me, I would much rather get a move on in my career than apply again and wait another year to see if I'll get into a cheaper program. This is just my perspective. I'm curious to hear what others have to say :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The crazier part is if your looking to work for USC in a clinical capacity you'll need to get your OTD, I have an OT friend who was offered a per diem position with USC, but if she wants a anything more/full time position she'll have to go back to school for her OTD. So with your MAOT plus OTD you're looking at 180,000k in tuition alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The crazier part is if your looking to work for USC in a clinical capacity you'll need to get your OTD, I have an OT friend who was offered a per diem position with USC, but if she wants a anything more/full time position she'll have to go back to school for her OTD. So with your MAOT plus OTD you're looking at 180,000k in tuition alone.

Is this true of other hospitals with USC affiliation like children's hospital of la or Shriners? I've definitely heard that keck practically requires a doctorate.

Is this true of other hospitals with USC affiliation like children's hospital of la or Shriners? I've definitely heard that keck practically requires a doctorate.

Not sure about the other hospitals she works for Keck. Sorry.

How much is the degree cost from USC? Just wondering.

Two years of tuition and fees alone: $126,068
Two years of tuition and fees with USC's financial aid office's estimates for room and board/books/transportation/student health insurance/person and misc: $173,212k

They also state that tuition and fees are subject to change and are expected to be same same or slightly higher for 2017-2018.

Personally, I can't justify the $175k price tag to attend USC.

Source: http://chan.usc.edu/admissions/financial-aid/tuition-and-fees

I have no idea how anyone can justify paying that. I am at a first tier school and my ENTIRE OT degree tuition is under 45k.
USC is the premier OT program in our country, I get it. But 175k? HOW is it ethical to charge that for a degree that will earn you a starting salary of 50k? 60k?
What??????
This is a discussion that incoming OT students need to be aware of: I think schools are ripping them off. They know there is a demand to become an OT in our society, and they are charging law school prices for a degree that makes a pittance compared to doctors etc.
How will a student who has 175k in OT debt (not to mention UNDERGRAD DEBT) buy a house? Have children? Buy a car? Help send them to college? Pay for a vacation? Is it ETHICAL for a field to charge 200k for tuition thereby limiting minorities from our field and helping to make it even richer and whiter?
I understand your argument but this is Southern California, you're not getting a modest house in a good neighborhood and school district for under a million dollars. A studio apartment under 900 sq ft is going to run you 300k+ in any neighborhood. Regardless of your debt, a traditional salary alone isn't going to cut it here.

I calculated the loan debt that I would personally be in (with cost of living, food, travel, scholarships) and I would pay $180,000 including interest - this is a payment of $1,500 a month for 10 years. But with the starting salary of an OT in California (~75,000), this could be doable but very hard. I think I'm going to go to USC but I'm hoping to get a job through a couple of programs that have loan assistance and live at home with my parents afterwards for a bit. I feel like this amount of loan would be detrimental to my personal future - having kids and buying a house but the only other school I got into is across country and I'm not sure I want to do that. But I think it's completely unfair that USC charges this much.

I was accepted off the waitlist, and am so excited to be attending USC :) Best of luck to everyone still on the waiting list!

I received a phone call from Liz last week saying I was admitted. I'm super excited but am nervous about the cost of the program (just as many others are). I was just admitted to Stanbridge today and have a week to notify the school I'd like to attend.

It comes down to USC, a renowned and established school with much to show for, for 125k not including housing

Or Stanbridge, a newly accredited school with no data on pass rates or job statistics (at least none that I could find), for 95k. I could live at home if I choose to attend Stanbridge.

Anyone have any helpful thoughts?

I received a phone call from Liz last week saying I was admitted. I'm super excited but am nervous about the cost of the program (just as many others are). I was just admitted to Stanbridge today and have a week to notify the school I'd like to attend.

It comes down to USC, a renowned and established school with much to show for, for 125k not including housing

Or Stanbridge, a newly accredited school with no data on pass rates or job statistics (at least none that I could find), for 95k. I could live at home if I choose to attend Stanbridge.

Like many will agree your salary will be the same regardless of either school. I would pick the school that you think is the best fit for your learning style.

I attended Stanbridge's MSOT info session back in March. They stated that they're pass rate and student retention has been 100% (save for 1 student who had to drop out of the program due to extenuating family circumstances) with the three cohorts they've had so far.

I'd personally attend Stanbridge since you'd save by living at home. OT is in such demand that you won't have a problem finding a job after passing NCBOT, regardless of school you chose. Stanbridge also has an edge in that NCBOT prep is incorporated into the the last semesters of the curriculum. I'd choose the cheapest school possible. Looking at the big picture, these two years will go by very quickly, but the loans (175k vs. 95k) will be a real payment for typically a decade at minimum that will effect your lifestyle in the next 10-20 years such as starting a family/buying a house/buying a car etc. etc.

For those who have been accepted, do you know what it means on the admittance letter that the admission is contingent upon final approval by the university's graduate admissions department? I just want to make sure my admission isn't subject to change before i decline my offers to other schools /:

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have been accepted, do you know what it means on the admittance letter that the admission is contingent upon final approval by the university's graduate admissions department? I just want to make sure my admission isn't subject to change before i decline my offers to other schools /:

My understanding is that the graduate admissions department does a final check to make sure you've completed all prereq requirements, etc. before you are fully enrolled in the program. If you've completed your prereqs, etc., they should be able to do that fairly quickly. I'm still finishing one last prereq, so that note makes me a little anxious too, even though I know I'll be done shortly! :)

My understanding is that the graduate admissions department does a final check to make sure you've completed all prereq requirements, etc. before you are fully enrolled in the program. If you've completed your prereqs, etc., they should be able to do that fairly quickly. I'm still finishing one last prereq, so that note makes me a little anxious too, even though I know I'll be done shortly! :)
Oh okay, I'm done with my prereqs so i guess everything should be fine! Thank youuu! Good luck in finishing your last prereq :)

Oh okay, I'm done with my prereqs so i guess everything should be fine! Thank youuu! Good luck in finishing your last prereq :)

Thanks! If you were accepted a while ago, I would maybe call/email and inquire when you can expect to receive the confirmation letter from the university?

Thanks! If you were accepted a while ago, I would maybe call/email and inquire when you can expect to receive the confirmation letter from the university?
I just got my acceptance couple days ago but yeah I called and everyone's out right now because of the AOTA conference lol did you already receive your confirmation letter from USC?

I just got my acceptance couple days ago but yeah I called and everyone's out right now because of the AOTA conference lol did you already receive your confirmation letter from USC?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! No I haven't, on account of the prereq :)

Hi all,

Does anyone know anyone currently in the program? Or anyone who has attended USC for OT? I'd love to get a sense of what to expect.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! Looking into USC OT and I was wondering if any of you could shed some light onto how they calculate their GPA's. I know it's through OTCAS, but does anyone know how it works for a repeated course? I'm wondering if USC replaces the grade or averages the two. Any help would be great- thanks!

for prerequisites they take the higher grade of the two. But when calculating cumulative gpa it includes ALL courses throughout your whole college career in your gpa, even the ones you repeated

Hello! To those that have applied to USC:

Can we use the same personal statement submitted to OTCAS for USC's?

Or does USC's personal statment need to be different?

Has anyone been accepted to USC with low GRE scores? I'm retaking my gre in a few days, but don't think I'll do much better. Hopefully I will meet USC's cutoff for verbal.

Cum gpa: 3.6
Prereq: 4.0
Gre: 145 Q, 149 V, 3.5 W

Have any of you been accepted witg low gre scores? This is the only school I want to to attend.

Hi!

They recommend writing a statement that highlights things about you not covered in your OTCAS statement. Think of it as another opportunity to highlight all your awesomeness :) Good luck!!

Has anyone been accepted to USC with low GRE scores? I'm retaking my gre in a few days, but don't think I'll do much better. Hopefully I will meet USC's cutoff for verbal.

Cum gpa: 3.6
Prereq: 4.0
Gre: 145 Q, 149 V, 3.5 W

Have any of you been accepted witg low gre scores? This is the only school I want to to attend.

I did relatively well on my GRE, but I do know some classmates who didn't have the highest grades. I definitely wouldn't let it dissuade you from applying by any means! Do your best, but realize that it's just one component of the application. And you can always email Liz Carley to ask about your specific case - she's awesome!

Does anyone know if USC cares how many settings you volunteered in? I've seen a lot of applicants with experience in hand therapy, skilled nursing facilities and hospitals. Do you believe usc looks at hours and variety of settings when determining who will be accepted into their program?

Does anyone know if USC cares how many settings you volunteered in? I've seen a lot of applicants with experience in hand therapy, skilled nursing facilities and hospitals. Do you believe usc looks at hours and variety of settings when determining who will be accepted into their program?

I applied with hours in 2 private pediatric clinics :)

I talked to Liz Carley about that and she said it is suppose to be different, however, there can be a lot of overlapping for both statements.

Hi guys, does anyone know what is the largest scholarship that USC can give?

Hey, guys! Does anyone know if USC accepts multiple classes to fulfill the developmental psych/human development (life span) pre-req? I have taken child psych, adolescent experience, and adult development and aging and was hoping I would be able to apply with those instead of having to retake a combined course.

Hey, guys! Does anyone know if USC accepts multiple classes to fulfill the developmental psych/human development (life span) pre-req? I have taken child psych, adolescent experience, and adult development and aging and was hoping I would be able to apply with those instead of having to retake a combined course.
I don't know the answer to this question, but I think you should email Liz Carley and ask! She's great :)