USC Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghoorii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any one get confirmation email?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did any one get confirmation email?

by confirmation email, you meant the email that state the supplemental application was received? or email stating that USC received both pharmcas and supplemental application?

by confirmation email, you meant the email that state the supplemental application was received? or email stating that USC received both pharmcas and supplemental application?

or the email that states the PharmCAS application is received, but still need supplemental application?

I was talking to a graduate USC pharmacy student, and he said first thing USC looks at is GPA. They throw out applications that are under a certain GPA cutoff. I know the minimum to apply is a 3.0 GPA, but he said that's just so they can get applicants fee money.

Here are my stats

Overall GPA: 3.23
- 4 years working as a pharmacist's assistant
- 1 year volunteering at hospital pharmacy
- 1 VERY good LOR from pharmacist and 1 okay LOR from professor
and a lot of other extracurriculars non-pharm related

With that GPA though, do u think they'll even consider me?

or the email that states the PharmCAS application is received, but still need supplemental application?
I submitted my Pharmcas on July 17th, and also my supplemental application on July 28th. Pharmcas sent my application to USC on Aug 3rd. I only recieved confirmation email for supplemntal not for Pharmcas. I called USC Admission office they told me they didnt receive any Pharmcas application yet. I am scared I wanted to make sure it happenes for every one or its just me ?:confused:

they like people with a gpa above 3.5 (i heard this directly from one of the admissions ppl). if you graduated from a UC and your gpa is lower than that then there is still a chance you will get an interview.they also compare your prereq gpa with your overall gpa and a big difference between the two will decrease your chances. a bachelor's degree is also required, but it doesn't necessarily need to be science related. my advice would be to increase your gpa by retaking prereqs that you got bad grades in bc they only look at the 2nd attempt and basically ignore the 1st time you took the class.

they like people with a gpa above 3.5 (i heard this directly from one of the admissions ppl). if you graduated from a UC and your gpa is lower than that then there is still a chance you will get an interview.they also compare your prereq gpa with your overall gpa and a big difference between the two will decrease your chances. a bachelor's degree is also required, but it doesn't necessarily need to be science related. my advice would be to increase your gpa by retaking prereqs that you got bad grades in bc they only look at the 2nd attempt and basically ignore the 1st time you took the class.

I see, so they prefer people who have already graduated from undergraduate. What if you were to graduate this coming fall?

I was talking to a graduate USC pharmacy student, and he said first thing USC looks at is GPA. They throw out applications that are under a certain GPA cutoff. I know the minimum to apply is a 3.0 GPA, but he said that's just so they can get applicants fee money.

Here are my stats

Overall GPA: 3.23
- 4 years working as a pharmacist's assistant
- 1 year volunteering at hospital pharmacy
- 1 VERY good LOR from pharmacist and 1 okay LOR from professor
and a lot of other extracurriculars non-pharm related

With that GPA though, do u think they'll even consider me?

For what it's worth, I was accepted last app cycle with a cumulative of ~3.35 and without as extensive pharmacy experience as you. So I would say don't be too pessimistic, and hope for the best, because it can happen :) If you (or anyone else) has any questions regarding the app cycle, the school, my experience, or anything, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 1 user
the problem with re-taking classes is that even though within your school's transcript your gpa may improve, Pharmcas factors in ALL of your classes even if you have re-taken them. So if you received a D in a class and took it over and got an A pharmcas will take the average from the two grades and give you that GPA in that subject. So what you want to also do is explain why you didnt do to well in that particular class the first time around

Even though I submitted my USC Secondary 2 weeks ago I just got confirmation today that Pharmcas calculated my GPA and will send my app over with the next round. I have a degree from UCSD, my overall is 3.44 and my science GPA is 3.34. I hope I get an interview:xf:

Does USC email us when they received the primary application from PharmCAS? PharmCAS mailed mine on August 15 but I never receive an email from USC confirming that they receive my pharmcas application. Do you guys have the same issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does USC email us when they received the primary application from PharmCAS? PharmCAS mailed mine on August 15 but I never receive an email from USC confirming that they receive my pharmcas application. Do you guys have the same issue?

USC will send an email once they receive everything (pharmcas + supp). I just receive the email today. I sent my appl in early Aug. So don't worry you probably get the email soon.

USC will send an email once they receive everything (pharmcas + supp). I just receive the email today. I sent my appl in early Aug. So don't worry you probably get the email soon.

Thanks!

i submitted my application pretty early, but I don't recall getting an email about both my pharmcas and supplemental being received.

are you talking about the one where they give you your USC ID? that's the most recent email ive received.

i submitted my application pretty early, but I don't recall getting an email about both my pharmcas and supplemental being received.

are you talking about the one where they give you your USC ID? that's the most recent email ive received.

no it should be an acknowledgement letter stating that they have receive everything and is in the process of evaluation.

no it should be an acknowledgement letter stating that they have receive everything and is in the process of evaluation.

hmm, i dont think i got that email yet but my gpa was calculated at 07/11/2011. both apps should have been mailed...... i guess I'll call them tomorrow

Any idea when they will be sending out invitations for interviews?

Hey guys! I have started working on part 1 of the USC supplemental form and wanted to start on the supplemental questions which they don't provide until part 1 is complete. I was wondering if any of you guys can provide me the 3 supplemental questions that they ask? thanks!:)

I got my evaluation letter last friday and my acknowledge letter last Tuesday... does any know what should I expect next....:xf:

Hey ghoorii,

When did you submit your supplemental? I just submitted mine and received an email stating that my supplemental application has been received. What should I expect next? The evaluation letter? What is the acknowledge letter that you mentioned?

Thanks!

.Answer 2 questions only; please answer question number 1 and either question number 2 or 3..

1. What have you done to prepare for admission and a career in pharmacy? (Re-applicants should focus on specific things -activities, additional educational studies, etc. - which strengthen the file from the previous application.) (2000 characters)

2. If you believe that your college transcripts or your resume does not adequately portray your past performance or your future promise as a pharmacist, please feel free to explain the reasons for the disparity; for example, employment, extracurricular activities, personal characteristics or illness. (3000 characters)

3. What unique, personal qualities and/or life experiences will you bring to your pharmacy career? (3000 characters)

Hey ghoorii,

When did you submit your supplemental? I just submitted mine and received an email stating that my supplemental application has been received. What should I expect next? The evaluation letter? What is the acknowledge letter that you mentioned?

Thanks!
I submitted my supplemental on July 28th. The first letter that I got was on Sep 6th (acknowledge letter ) which said they recieved my Pharmcas and supplemental. And I got another email on Sep9th(evaluation letter) which mentioned the my completed courses and what I need to take....and at the end it said if you get in for interview you will be notified for 1-3 weeks before interview dates...it mentioned they will only call 30% of applicant for interview....:idea:

For what it's worth, I was accepted last app cycle with a cumulative of ~3.35 and without as extensive pharmacy experience as you. So I would say don't be too pessimistic, and hope for the best, because it can happen :) If you (or anyone else) has any questions regarding the app cycle, the school, my experience, or anything, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.

Did you have BS when you applied last year? Tks

I submitted my supplemental on July 28th. The first letter that I got was on Sep 6th (acknowledge letter ) which said they recieved my Pharmcas and supplemental. And I got another email on Sep9th(evaluation letter) which mentioned the my completed courses and what I need to take....and at the end it said if you get in for interview you will be notified for 1-3 weeks before interview dates...it mentioned they will only call 30% of applicant for interview....:idea:
I submitted my PharmCas on the 10th and my supplemental on the 14th. Didn't get an evaluation letter or a confirmation letter. Anyone else in the same boat?

I submitted my PharmCas on the 10th and my supplemental on the 14th. Didn't get an evaluation letter or a confirmation letter. Anyone else in the same boat?
I think its too early for you to get the confirmation, because I called earlier and they said they got the new system and because of that they started to evaluate the applications late....Dont worry you will get it ...

Did you have BS when you applied last year? Tks

Yes, and I believe it is now mandatory that all applicants either have or will have their bachelors degrees before entering the program.

Hey guys! I have started working on part 1 of the USC supplemental form and wanted to start on the supplemental questions which they don't provide until part 1 is complete. I was wondering if any of you guys can provide me the 3 supplemental questions that they ask? thanks!:)

.Answer 2 questions only; please answer question number 1 and either question number 2 or 3..

1. What have you done to prepare for admission and a career in pharmacy? (Re-applicants should focus on specific things -activities, additional educational studies, etc. - which strengthen the file from the previous application.) (2000 characters)

2. If you believe that your college transcripts or your resume does not adequately portray your past performance or your future promise as a pharmacist, please feel free to explain the reasons for the disparity; for example, employment, extracurricular activities, personal characteristics or illness. (3000 characters)

3. What unique, personal qualities and/or life experiences will you bring to your pharmacy career? (3000 characters)

Moving to correct thread.

Since USC usually uses a grade cut-off when choosing to give out interviews, does anyone know if they use the PharmCAS gpa or your university's gpa? My pharmCAS gpa is significantly lower because of having 2 Ds :(

Last edited:
no but i think its still too early for that

Is USC like Pacific where you log into your account and check your profile for updates, or do they just email you updates?

USC doesnt tell you ANYTHING!

okay not totally correct, they email you to tell you they've received both PharmCAS and supplemental.

But compare to other schools, USC is not very informative.

USC doesnt tell you ANYTHING!

okay not totally correct, they email you to tell you they've received both PharmCAS and supplemental.

But compare to other schools, USC is not very informative.

agree, plus their staff on the admission team takes a veryyyyyyy long time to respond to your emails =/
I haven't gotten anything from them. has anyone receive anything?

How many courses do you have left to complete? Have you heard anything from them again? I just got my evaluation. I am kind of worried about getting an interview. I have quite a few courses left to complete, which I am doing right now as well. And I know I can complete them. But I am still worried!

I got my lack letter today too. Anyone else get it where it says that you are missing English and Communications even though you are planning to get a Bachelor's Degree?

Also, does anyone else's AP credits show up as required even though you didnt report them?

I got my lack letter today too. Anyone else get it where it says that you are missing English and Communications even though you are planning to get a Bachelor's Degree?

Also, does anyone else's AP credits show up as required even though you didnt report them?

When did you submit your pharmcas and supplemental? I haven't receive a lack letter yet. The last email I got from them was an acknowledgement receipt.

When did you submit your pharmcas and supplemental? I haven't receive a lack letter yet. The last email I got from them was an acknowledgement receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoorii

I submitted my PharmCas on the 10th and my supplemental on the 14th.

How many courses do you have left to complete? Have you heard anything from them again? I just got my evaluation. I am kind of worried about getting an interview. I have quite a few courses left to complete, which I am doing right now as well. And I know I can complete them. But I am still worried!
I called addmission , they told me its normal to have 3 or 4 incomplete or in progress....But you have to finish them if u get in by fall 2012.

Update on this, I sent an e-mail back and they fixed my file. The update removed the English, Communications, and AP.

Update on this, I sent an e-mail back and they fixed my file. The update removed the English, Communications, and AP.

It happened for me too, but I have a question for u, after sending email back and fort , they re-evaluated my application, and Jim sent me an updated one. In the updated email my missing courses looks fine but the completed one doesn't. Its weird , because i finished all of my Organics and its not in completed one nor missing one... I dont know what to do now ...I sent an email but i didnt get any respond back yet... I am afraid their mistake put me back behind... because I submitted my application in mid July and I got my acknowledge email in early sep ... but I still see mistakes....I hope its not the case...:xf:

It happened for me too, but I have a question for u, after sending email back and fort , they re-evaluated my application, and Jim sent me an updated one. In the updated email my missing courses looks fine but the completed one doesn't. Its weird , because i finished all of my Organics and its not in completed one nor missing one... I dont know what to do now ...I sent an email but i didnt get any respond back yet... I am afraid their mistake put me back behind... because I submitted my application in mid July and I got my acknowledge email in early sep ... but I still see mistakes....I hope its not the case...:xf:

I don't think it matters, as long as what you need isn't wrong, I think that's the important part.

I called addmission , they told me its normal to have 3 or 4 incomplete or in progress....But you have to finish them if u get in by fall 2012.

Thank you for checking. Have you heard anything else from them?

I don't think it matters, as long as what you need isn't wrong, I think that's the important part.

I hope :xf: any way I will send an email and maybe I will call them tomorrow to make sure....

I hope :xf: any way I will send an email and maybe I will call them tomorrow to make sure....

To update : They sent me an email yesterday , they said there is a softwear problem in Pharmcas network so they cant send u the complete list of courses that u completed before, but the missing one should be correct.It means If they didnt put it in missing section it means u completed.:luck:

< 3rd year usc pharmd/ms student.

gl! hit me up if you have any questions.. i may take a while to respond due to a bombardment of exams (3rd year is rough)

Does any of you guys haven't receive an evaluation letter and/or lack letter despite of the early submission? If yes, when did you submit your pharmcas and supplemental?

Does any of you guys haven't receive an evaluation letter and/or lack letter despite of the early submission? If yes, when did you submit your pharmcas and supplemental?
when should we expect invitations? any ideas?:xf: