USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats...any NBMEs?

Didn't do any. I only took the uworld diagnostic at the beginning of the month. I don't like taking those tests because they either shatter or over-inflate my confidence, and I lose an entire study day doing them. I just let the graphs in uworld track my performance. I kept on going up, so I knew I must've been doing something right.

Didn't do any. I only took the uworld diagnostic at the beginning of the month. I don't like taking those tests because they either shatter or over-inflate my confidence, and I lose an entire study day doing them. I just let the graphs in uworld track my performance. I kept on going up, so I knew I must've been doing something right.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's also sort of how I felt toward the end of my Step 1 study period too, and it clearly worked out well for you...

Would you mind telling us your approximate UW percentage toward the end?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's for Step 1. For Step 2, there's only one UWSA.

Just took the UWSA. Score was 740/260. i take the real thing next friday. i'm planning on going through the UWorld notes I made from the Qbank and the UWSA and Secrets. Any other tips or do you think i'll be all set for next week? Thanks guys.

Just took the UWSA. Score was 740/260. i take the real thing next friday. i'm planning on going through the UWorld notes I made from the Qbank and the UWSA and Secrets. Any other tips or do you think i'll be all set for next week? Thanks guys.

You'll rock it. The most important thing now is being well rested!

You'll rock it. The most important thing now is being well rested!

That's great to hear! Congrats to you on your score! so at this point, no NBMEs? just review and relax?

P.S. just curious, would you mind telling your UWSA score? If not, no biggie

Thanks again for all your advice!!

That's great to hear! Congrats to you on your score! so at this point, no NBMEs? just review and relax?

P.S. just curious, would you mind telling your UWSA score? If not, no biggie

Thanks again for all your advice!!

Yea I wouldn't do any if I were you. Review and relax indeed.

My uwsa was in the high 240's one month before the test.

Hello everyone,

I sat for the USMLE Step 2CK on June 11th, and received my score yesterday (7/11/12). It was a 227 (81). Not great, but at least it is amongst the average (233 w/ SD 22) and 35 points better than my horrendous Step 1 score (192 / 77). I only had time to study for 6 to 7 weeks, because I was scheduled for an ICU rotation after and would have no time to study.

Anyhow, I figured I would share a brief synopsis of my studying experience and various practice scores:

DIT and Step-Up-To Step 2- Amazing and kept me on point. It provided the organization and pace I sorely lacked on Step 1 (sat for test a during year off, while finishing my dual-degree with no study system other than my own ass-backward system)

UWorld - First time through the entire bank, untimed, and read all explanations after = ~60%. I made sure to retake every question I answered incorrectly, and read those explanations, as well.

NBME Paid Self Assessment Form 4 one week before real exam = 370 = 200 (estimate of real score)

NBME Paid Self Assessment Form 2 three to four days before real exam = 400 = 207

UWorld Self Assessment 2 days before real exam = 234

I feel like I could have used one more week, and may have seen a significant bump. It always seems like everything comes together at the last second. Oh well.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone! Quick question - is UWorld/secrets enough for pediatrics for Step 2? Lookin' to do well, but this is an overall tough subject for me. Thoughts? Overall averaging 75% on UWorld but only 65% on Peds.

Hey Everyone! Quick question - is UWorld/secrets enough for pediatrics for Step 2? Lookin' to do well, but this is an overall tough subject for me. Thoughts? Overall averaging 75% on UWorld but only 65% on Peds.

Peds is the worst. There is no real logic to it other than straight memorization. I wouldn't rely solely on Secrets. I would do all the UWorld questions and check Step-Up-To Step 2, as well. OB is the same way. "When do you do this? When do you do that? At what month/year/week is this?" etc.

I'm just curious, because I haven't seen this asked yet (or perhaps missed it). Does your percentile on UW matter at all vs your average correct? I just finished the bank with 66% average but my percentile was in the 74th which seems weird because I didn't think I did all that well based on my total average compared to what's on SDN. I started off in the high 50s and ended in the high 70s with a few 81%s. My percentiles for the main divisions ranged from 70 - 85 (except for surgery, which was 64). I looked back at NBME 2 that I took 2 weeks ago (500/230) and noted that my percentiles were almost exactly in line with my performance bars.

I'm getting freaked out because my exam's in a week and I'm seeing post of people who did a lot better than me on UW but are doing lower than expected on NBMEs/UWSAs. I'm taking a UW assessment tomorrow then NBME 4 a few days before my exam. Just wondering if those who recently took the test could share their UW average along with their overall percentile (or those in main divisions). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just curious, because I haven't seen this asked yet (or perhaps missed it). Does your percentile on UW matter at all vs your average correct? I just finished the bank with 66% average but my percentile was in the 74th which seems weird because I didn't think I did all that well based on my total average compared to what's on SDN. I started off in the high 50s and ended in the high 70s with a few 81%s. My percentiles for the main divisions ranged from 70 - 85 (except for surgery, which was 64). I looked back at NBME 2 that I took 2 weeks ago (500/230) and noted that my percentiles were almost exactly in line with my performance bars.
Your percentile is calculated purely from your %correct. They don't use any special algorithms or scaled scores. So both numbers are equally meaningful.

The reason why your scores seem low compared to SDN is because most people on SDN have above-average scores.

I'm getting freaked out because my exam's in a week and I'm seeing post of people who did a lot better than me on UW but are doing lower than expected on NBMEs/UWSAs. I'm taking a UW assessment tomorrow then NBME 4 a few days before my exam. Just wondering if those who recently took the test could share their UW average along with their overall percentile (or those in main divisions). Thanks!
If you're expecting UW to be a precise predictor of your score, then that might be the reason why you're freaking out. Some people do much better than their UW predictions, and others do much worse. But in general, most people get about the score that they were expecting.

USWA = 630/245...feeling really burnt out. I have no idea how I'll make it through the real thing :/ Anyone have any advice for how to push on? I'm 5 days out. Reading my UW notes and some Secrets. 250+ is no longer a goal. I just want this thing over with :(

USWA = 630/245...feeling really burnt out. I have no idea how I'll make it through the real thing :/ Anyone have any advice for how to push on? I'm 5 days out. Reading my UW notes and some Secrets. 250+ is no longer a goal. I just want this thing over with :(

No advice but you aren't alone! My exam is Wednesday (3 days from now) and I am so burnt out I just want to sleep and not study anymore... I never wanted 250+ but I want it over more than words can express! I have 4 blocks of UW left then will be reviewing my notes/missed questions with some secrets... I hate the USMLE right now!

I've done a lot of reading on the forums about the correlation between the UWSA and the real thing. As a whole, it seem that more people score higher on the real thing. This is not a guarantee but if you're looking for 250+, keep your head high and go kick some USMLE-ass this week. At the end of the day, all you can say is that you've done your best. Hope this helps

Hi guys,
Hope everybody is doing great, I am about to start prep for my step 2 next week so I was wondering what I will need to cover the step 2 materials and how long dose it take to be ready ?? should I just use First Aid and Usmleworld??
and is Usmleworld bank as helpful as in step1.

Thanks

You took step 1, you presumably took NBME shelf exams...you know how your going to do on this test. Why are you concerned?

You took step 1, you presumably took NBME shelf exams...you know how your going to do on this test. Why are you concerned?

I'm an IMG, without the the experience/benefit of shelf exams. UWSA overestimated for Step 1 as well as the NBMEs. I know it isn't worth it to stress, but I just really want to improve from my Step 1 score. I used to hear Step 1 was the most important score, but for Step 2CK is starting to count just as much.

and thanks BrainDoc, much appreciated :)

if one takes the exam after a Wednesday, does that mean they get scores on the 4th Wed instead of the 3rd?

I took it the 26th of June as well, and my link is there still, sigh, was hoping to find out this week.

I'm an IMG, without the the experience/benefit of shelf exams. UWSA overestimated for Step 1 as well as the NBMEs. I know it isn't worth it to stress, but I just really want to improve from my Step 1 score. I used to hear Step 1 was the most important score, but for Step 2CK is starting to count just as much.

and thanks BrainDoc, much appreciated :)

if one takes the exam after a Wednesday, does that mean they get scores on the 4th Wed instead of the 3rd?

3rd. if you take it on or before Wednesday then it's 4th.

I'm two weeks out from my exam and averaging about 75% on UWorld. I want to take a practice test - should I do UWSA or NBME? which one gives more useful feedback? I know this has probably been answered, but I wasn't able to find it. Thanks!

Hey everyone

Which one is better for step2 CK: FA, Master the boards or Step-up?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Looking at this thread just makes me more nervous considering the highly biased SDN Inflated UW%.

Anyways, I've been stagnant at 55% for the last 4 blocks x 44q's (have done 5 in total), and have not improved and thus feel hopeless.

I seem to have a problem of stumbling when i've narrowed the options down to 2, and end up picking the wrong one. Anyone have any plausible explaination for this?

I'm trying to review MTB as much as I can, but after doing 3 blocks + 3 block review a day, i'm way too fatigued to even think about MTB or anything else.

My exam is on the 20th next month. :scared:

I'm two weeks out from my exam and averaging about 75% on UWorld. I want to take a practice test - should I do UWSA or NBME? which one gives more useful feedback? I know this has probably been answered, but I wasn't able to find it. Thanks!
Take both USWA and NBME 4 back to back...........their average will give you the most predictive score and a "full dress rehearsal".

I found this thread to be really helpful, so my turn to give back...

Step 2 is a brain drain. Having an 8th block blows and my brain was on total autopilot at that point. Let me echo what somebody else wrote about having sugar readily available for breaks between blocks...this advice is right on the money...woot chocolate. After the first two blocks, I took a small break between every single block to move around and snack and found that this helped maximize my focus when I was in front of the computer screen. Granola bars, fruit, gum and caffeine are also clutch.

My exam was (predictably) heavy on medicine, followed by equal parts of ob/gyn, peds, and, surprisingly, psychiatry. There were anywhere from 3-7 psych-related questions per block. Biostats had some decent representation and there was a smattering of ethics questions. Surgery, optho, and derm were super minimal.

There were some super easy questions, some ridiculously difficult questions, and everything in between...oh, and a healthy amount of super vague questions. This seems to go against the grain of what most people say about 2ck, but oh well.

For sources, I heavily relied on UW...did the entire bank and generally took the time to read the entire answer and take notes. I reviewed these notes in the last 2 days before my test and thought it was super helpful. As others have said, UW is by FAR the best resource out there. I also used the Medical Education Online videos to quickly review a subject before I did the corresponding section on UW. Those videos are great and I found this to be a very efficient combo. I also read a few random chapters of Secrets and MTB for some weak areas.

My UW% and UWSA both put me in the 240s...but I really have no sense of how I did, just hoping for something north of 230.

Good luck to everybody!

So it sounds like it's taking closer to 4 weeks (+/- a few days) to get scores back right now. Seems like I haven't seen anyone getting them in 3 in a while, anyway.

Good luck to everyone getting scores tomorrow!

So my permit disappeared a couple of days ago, which I thought meant I would get my score back today at 9:30. Its 10, where ais my score?!?!

Took the exam June 20th

Email today at 10:36am saying score report would be released "around 11am"

Score up by 11:20, pleased with the result :)

Good luck to those waiting

As I expected the disaster .... I got the scores few min ago
step 2 CK 235
with the worst performance in psych & biostatistics ....
au revoir
Done with the test today …. Feeling so depressed ….! Youcan not imagine how many Q for the biostatistics and Ad abstracts … about 40 Qof these stuff ….which eventually ruined my chances of hoping of a decent score…

My experience :

Over 9 months of preparation in an on-off rhythm

USMLRx = 72%(months before the test)

Kaplan Q bank = 62% (months before the test)

USMLE World =73% (months before the test)

All for the unused Q … timed mode … system-wise

NBME 4 = 232 (a month before the test)

UWSA = 256 (11 days before the test)

Let’s wait for 3 weeks of torture ….

So I know it says 3-4 weeks before receiving scores. I took the exam on Wed July 4, so would that be July 25 or the Wednesday after? Just curious how it works with a Wednesday test. I have been worried sick since I walked out of that exam.

I took mine on June 28th, and nothing's up yet. I assume it'll show up next Wednesday. Is it safe to say that they get always get posted at 11am Eastern Time?

Finally got my scores back. It's been a bit agonizing cause the test felt straightforward, which made me a little uneasy. At the same time, I had this nervous feeling I may have scored lower than Step 1.

Step 1: 242

NBME 3: 235
NBME 4: 253

Step 2: 258

I bought lots of Step 2 books but really only used Secrets, and I used it very lightly. I completed uWorld during M3 and did all my incorrect questions (IM was conveniently my last rotation.) Then i reset the bank and did it again. I took notes from uWorld, studied those regularly. Overall, I did the bank 2.5x and spent some time reviewing the notebook i made.

My shelf scores were not fabulous -- two in the 80s, lowest was 22, and three of them in the 50s. I saw that people who did well usually were getting 90+ percentile regularly.

Moral: Keep your head down, keep working, and keep doing uWorld. The shelves can be brutal, but they don't necessarily sentence you to a low Step 2 score.

So I took mine July 7th. I'm nervous. Only got a 220 step 1 and I'm a DO applying for gen surg; likely MD. Got a 256 on the UWSA a few days prior but I felt like I was destroyed by the real thing.... had gone though UW 1.5x or so and only did average on shelfs... so I should be expecting my score about what? Early August at this pace?

Does anyone have the USMLE Step 2 vs UWorld Percentage Graph?

I can't get it to load in the original thread. Thanks!

So I took mine July 7th. I'm nervous. Only got a 220 step 1 and I'm a DO applying for gen surg; likely MD. Got a 256 on the UWSA a few days prior but I felt like I was destroyed by the real thing.... had gone though UW 1.5x or so and only did average on shelfs... so I should be expecting my score about what? Early August at this pace?

Aug 1st. Im with you brotha. Im trying to do allopath EM

Took the beast today- I felt like it was fair- some things I knew right away, some I had no clue what they even wanted. I really have no clue how I did.

My exam had quite a bit of IM (as expected) followed by OB/GYN (a lot more than I expected which is a good thing for me), then Peds/Psych evenly followed by Surgery and Biostats. I think I had maybe 2-4 biotstat questions per block. Had 2 of the crazy drug ads total.

I was feeling really good until maybe block 6. Block 7 and 8 were horrible mainly cuz I was just sick of testing, neck hurting etc.

We shall see how it goes in 3-4 weeks.

Finished my Step 2 CK studying with USMLEWorld questions and was getting in the low 70s percentage-wise.

Actual score: 260

Reactions: 1 user
Took the test 6/22 got my score today. UW average was ~75%, relatively constant throughout. Actual score was 264. Big step up for me from my step 1 (>30 points).

To those asking about report days/times: According to the NBME site when I logged in last week, they are running behind because the 4th of July was on a Wednesday, and they didn't release any scores that day. I don't know when/if they will get back to the 3 week usual schedule. The email from them stated that they usually release around 11am EST. The previous comments about the 'print permit' disappearing prior to score release held true for me as well.