UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loveinglife97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying to become a doctor I'm currently in pre-med... I'm looking in to schools and was wondering how good was UT Southwestern?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It's good, thanks for asking!

You should really be asking Google this question, not us. I'm sure there is a wealth of information out there about this school. You can also read through the School-Specific threads from this year, last year, and the year before.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's good, thanks for asking!

You should really be asking Google this question, not us. I'm sure there is a wealth of information out there about this school. You can also read through the School-Specific threads from this year, last year, and the year before.
I was asking for a personal answer from people not Google. I have looked at the schools I'm just trying to learn more.! Thank you

If you were to actually take the time to look through the threads, you would find current students commenting about the school. Here are three such posts:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.1074158/page-9#post-15917084

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.1074158/page-2#post-15496250

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.1074158/page-2#post-15476077

You also would be more likely to get answers from current students if you posted in the 2015-2016 thread rather than the general pre-allo forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Please do not post on my post anymore. I appreciate you trying to help. WedgeDawg
Thank you

I sincerely apologize for trying to assist you. Best of luck.
58993220.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Please do not post on my post anymore. I appreciate you trying to help. WedgeDawg
Thank you

For anyone who ever wonders why there is a general perception of people not wanting to help on SDN...well here you go.

For anyone who ever wonders why there is a general perception of people not wanting to help on SDN...well here you go.
He was not being nice about things I don't mind the help at all but not when people are mean about things!

He was not being nice about things I don't mind the help at all but not when people are mean about things!

Listen, I understand that you're new, and I'm sorry that my (admittedly slightly sarcastic) tone wasn't well received, but you asked a question that was literally "is UTSW good" which is essentially unanswerable. It's not specific, it's not useful, and it's not going to generate helpful responses. I made a (in my opinion, light-hearted) jab at the phrasing of the question and then pointed you towards resources that might actually be able to help you find answers to whatever your intended question was. I went as far as actually finding you the threads and then going through a thread and looking for responses that might actually be relevant to what you're trying to find out. Telling me to essentially f*** off is not a great way to make a good first impression or encourage others to help you.

It's better to ask specific questions that people might actually be able to answer with useful information or, if they don't know, point you towards things that would.

If you want useful responses, try to ask useful questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

As someone who wants to go into an exclusively hospital-based specialty, you need to grow some skin; as now it's paper thin.

In fact I'd recommend volunteering at a hospital, it could prove to be a life changing perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who wants to go into an exclusively hospital-based specialty, you need to grow some skin; as now it's paper thin.

In fact I'd recommend volunteering at a hospital, it could prove to be a life changing perspective.
Thank you and I know I need to! And I'm talking to doctors at my local hospital to shadow!

It's a great school, and arguably the best in Texas along with Baylor. Short of that, I'm not sure what other information you would want.

And the reason Nick's not sure what other information you would want is that you didn't ask. What is it, specifically, that you want to know? Is Dallas a fun place to live? Is the school highly-rated? What are the other students like? Are the instructional methods, test and grading policies suitable for the way I learn best? Do I have a decent shot at admission with my academic credentials?

Read and learn -- The answer @WedgeDawg gave you was actually, about the best you could get with the question you asked.

UTSW Alumnus here

Pre-clinical: It has all changed since I went through it, cutting it down from 2 to 1.5 years. Can't really tell you what that will mean, but you will no longer get that 2.5 month summer that all of my classmates enjoyed. The lecturers are mostly solid, and you will get several big names in the medical research community. Not a lot of teaching towards the Step, unfortunately, but we still perform well above the national average.

Clinical: This has changed, as well, with the curriculum change, so I will just let you know what I did, and what I know they have added. They now have a required 8 wk block for academic pursuits, whether thats a QI project, or actual research depends on what you are looking for, but they do put you in contact with individuals that will help you with what you are looking to do. For 3rd year, I was required to do 12 weeks internal medicine, 8 weeks surgery, 8 weeks peds, 6 weeks OB/Gyn, 6 weeks Psych, 4 weeks family, and 4 weeks Neuro. 4th year, all that is required is a critical care month (which includes Emergency Medicine) and a sub internship month (choose between IM, peds, surgery, or maternal fetal medicine). Most people do their rotations at either Parkland, Clemmons, or the VA, some will do rotations at Presby (where the ebola case went) and Zale, as well. The family med rotation, most will have to leave Dallas, whether that's Waco (where they put you up in an apartment), or JPS in Fort Worth, where you will have to commute 45 minutes every day. You will receive lectures or work with some of the biggest names in the medical community. During my time there, I worked under a president of the American College of Physicians, had weekly lectures from medical superstars like Dr. Donald Seldin and Dr. Daniel Foster, and received lectures from the physicians who took care of Kennedy. You have exposure to every subspecialty under the sun. Unfortunately, it is a lot of hands off type stuff. You really need to be proactive if you want to do procedures like LPs, central lines, paracentesis, A-lines.

Location: I loved Dallas. They have an incredible food scene, the women are gorgeous, and they have plenty of bar areas in the city for all different types. If you're in the mood for that hipster feel, just head on down to Deep Ellum, get some pizza at Cane Rosso, get a couple beers at the Deep Ellum brewery, and then head over to single wide sporting your craziest outfit and unkept beard. Wanting to bro out with your old frat brothers? Well head on down to Uptown where you can slam back a couple fireball shots at the Concrete Cowboy while grinding on some blondie from SMU wearing a dress short enough to make Madonna blush. You could also head over to Mutts Cantina and get drunk in a dog park with a 100 other dog owners. For the chumps that want that classier nightlife, take a stroll down to the Knox-Henderson area, where you'll start off the night munching on some delicious food and tasty drinks over at Victor Tangos, then head over to the Old Monk to sip on some English stouts, then walk across the street to the Dram with your classy friends. Then you got Lower Greenville that has my favorite place for a good cheesesteak or food truck food at Truck Yard. I also liked heading over to the Katy Trail to go running with my dog.

I'm studying to become a doctor I'm currently in pre-med... I'm looking in to schools and was wondering how good was UT Southwestern?
Thank you
why are you looking into schools as a freshman (if you are even that)

Ahh yes. That's why I see people in the OHSU application thread worrying about the fact they had no idea they require a genetics class.
Many schools now require genetics, biochemistry, english, etc, so not sure why that was a surprise
but I see what you're saying; it would be good to look at schools you are interested in early on just in case they have different requirements.

Many schools now require genetics, biochemistry, english, etc, so not sure why that was a surprise
but I see what you're saying; it would be good to look at schools you are interested in early on just in case they have different requirements.

yeah, it takes maybe an hour tops to scroll through MSAR and note this information. No reason not to do it. Personally, I think not taking this into consideration early on because "schools essentially have the same pre-reqs" is irresponsible and lazy.

We're all gunners here at UTSW, you should stay away! We'll gun you down

yeah, it takes maybe an hour tops to scroll through MSAR and note this information. No reason not to do it. Personally, I think not taking this into consideration early on because "schools essentially have the same pre-reqs" is irresponsible and lazy.

There is no reason to buy an MSAR subscription before you even enter college, which is the position the OP is in. I'm not arguing that you shouldn't do your homework, but looking at specific schools when you haven't even started college is complete overkill.

Edit: additionally, prereqs for specific schools are always in flux, so if you buy an MSAR your freshman year looking at prereqs you may very well find that they've changed by the time you apply.

Last edited:
Also, op simply wanted to know if the school was "good." I don't think she thought to look at prereqs or anything lol.

There is no reason to buy an MSAR subscription before you even enter college, which is the position the OP is in. I'm not arguing that you shouldn't do your homework, but looking at specific schools when you haven't even started college is complete overkill.

Edit: additionally, prereqs for specific schools are always in flux, so if you buy an MSAR your freshman year looking at prereqs you may very well find that they've changed by the time you apply.

eh, the post i quoted said freshman. if OP hasn't even started college yet then yeah its pretty pointless.