2023-2024 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MS1 here, just wanted to share my experience from last year because I know how stressful this time can be. I was invited to interview with UTSW in the first group and didn’t prematch, didn’t match either. Ended up getting off the waitlist just a couple of days before the May 15th deadline. All this to say that as you go through these forums, don’t get too disheartened (although that’s human nature) when someone announces a prematch and you check your email to no avail. I do believe that a big part of my getting off the waitlist was due to sending continued update letters, and letters of intent. The last email I sent was directly to the deans and within the week I was accepted. LM77 for reference.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
MS1 here, just wanted to share my experience from last year because I know how stressful this time can be. I was invited to interview with UTSW in the first group and didn’t prematch, didn’t match either. Ended up getting off the waitlist just a couple of days before the May 15th deadline. All this to say that as you go through these forums, don’t get too disheartened (although that’s human nature) when someone announces a prematch and you check your email to no avail. I do believe that a big part of my getting off the waitlist was due to sending continued update letters, and letters of intent. The last email I sent was directly to the deans and within the week I was accepted. LM77 for reference.
What was your timeline for sending the update letters? I just interviewed 12/2 but am wondering if I should still wait a bit to send an update.

What was your timeline for sending the update letters? I just interviewed 12/2 but am wondering if I should still wait a bit to send an update.
Personally, I would send something after New Years when everyone is back in the office so that it doesn’t get buried in inboxes. 1 month after interviewing is also the general ‘google’ rule of thumb i believe so you shouldn’t have to worry about waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Would you mind sharing how often you sent update letters to them? Did you share all your updates with the dean of admissions?

Would you mind sharing how often you sent update letters to them? Did you share all your updates with the dean of admissions?
No problem, just went through my old files and it looks like there were only 3 letters I sent (the first was a letter of intent only to the admissions email, second was update letter, and the third was a follow-up to which I also sent to the deans) - Sent the letter of Intent 2 months after my interview (at the time I regretted not thinking of sending anything earlier), update letter was in February before match day and the follow up email was in May, nearing the alternate list deadline. It's important that when you send an update letter or a letter of intent or interest (there's a difference between the two) that there's something worth writing about which you did in the meanwhile. I sent a letter of intent which expressly stated that I would join if accepted and included an update within that. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions about utsw or med school admissions stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is it okay/accepted for a parent to attend the admitted student campus tours (not MS0 weekend/second look, just the half-day tour event)? My mom is really excited and wants to come with me :love:

Is it okay/accepted for a parent to attend the admitted student campus tours (not MS0 weekend/second look, just the half-day tour event)? My mom is really excited and wants to come with me :love:
If guests are allowed in general you better bring her!

• Care
The email ahead of my campus visit says, "Please note, we will not be able to accomodate guests at this time", unfortunately :(

• Sad
I would email admissions to confirm. I don't think there are guests allowed

TMS1 here, just wanted to share my experience from last year because I know how stressful this time can be. I was invited to interview with UTSW in the first group and didn’t prematch, didn’t match either. Ended up getting off the waitlist just a couple of days before the May 15th deadline. All this to say that as you go through these forums, don’t get too disheartened (although that’s human nature) when someone announces a prematch and you check your email to no avail. I do believe that a big part of my getting off the waitlist was due to sending continued update letters, and letters of intent. The last email I sent was directly to the deans and within the week I was accepted. LM77 for reference.

I believe the average is typically 516-518 Class Profile & Statistics

However, there is a wide range. I have classmates with 525s and classmates with 505s. They're all doing just fine
Other than extracurricular activities, what else can help get into UT southwestern?? How do they make final decision after the interview??

This is most reassuring statement I have read here. Thank you.

• Care
Other than extracurricular activities, what else can help get into UT southwestern?? How do they make final decision after the interview??
I am sorry, but I don't know. I'm a med student who volunteers for the admitted student visit days, I am not part of admissions decisions

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if there is an accepted students group chat (other than the Facebook group)?

Does anybody know if there is an accepted students group chat (other than the Facebook group)?
There is not one yet. Typically the MS0 team (or a motivated new student!) makes a groupchat for the class. You can post in the facebook group, though you'll just have to remember to remove any non-UTSW students once the class is finalized

Groupme and Discord are the two platforms used here. My class uses Groupme, but I think Discord is better; there's better ability to make threads and what not for each class

For those of you who did the admitted student campus tour, when did you get the email with detailed schedule info? My tour is tomorrow and I've heard nothing yet.

I got an email on 11/22 pretty much 24 hours after I signed up for it. It just has a general schedule though (from 10am - 3:30pm) and no other information.

I'm hoping we get a more detailed email sometime today because I'm not sure where to go tomorrow lol

I got an email on 11/22 pretty much 24 hours after I signed up for it. It just has a general schedule though (from 10am - 3:30pm) and no other information.

I'm hoping we get a more detailed email sometime today because I'm not sure where to go tomorrow lol
Yeah, same issue here lol. I can see the schedule in my portal but I have no clue where to show up tomorrow either. I'm planning to call admissions if I don't hear anything by 1 pm CST (or sometime around there).

• Love
If you have the chance, definitely come to Ms0 weekend as well! You'll get to meet the vast majority of your class and see how you like your peers. Plus, MS0 is student run so you'll get to see lots of current students

I found my own MS0 weekend super helpful when finally deciding on a school; I knew my classmates would be cool and that made the school that much more appealing.

Already applied and interviewed this year. Waiting for prematch/match. Didn’t receive a rejection either.
They balance the class based on sex, race, socioeconomic factors, and other attributes.

In theory, they rank everyone after the interview, issue prematches, when they lose people during the match, add more students (250 students prematched, 100 go elsewhere, 100 more get in during the match as an example).

Once match is complete, if people drop out because they got in through waitlist, they try to replace someone equivalent (if 5 minority women drop out, they will try to find their equivalents).

They balance the class based on sex, race, socioeconomic factors, and other attributes.

In theory, they rank everyone after the interview, issue prematches, when they lose people during the match, add more students (250 students prematched, 100 go elsewhere, 100 more get in during the match as an example).

Once match is complete, if people drop out because they got in through waitlist, they try to replace someone equivalent (if 5 minority women drop out, they will try to find their equivalents).

As per an email from the university president a few months ago: UTSW, beginning with this admissions cycle aka the Class of 2028, does not use race in admissions due to new Texas laws regarding this topic.

As per an email from the university president a few months ago: UTSW, beginning with this admissions cycle aka the Class of 2028, does not use race in admissions due to new Texas laws regarding this topic.
They were not supposed to use it before either.

It is generally accepted in the medical profession that there need to be certain number of doctors representing each race based on the population. There are usually patients demanding to see someone of their own race because of trust issues.

We will see final class profile to see if there are changes.

There is not one yet. Typically the MS0 team (or a motivated new student!) makes a groupchat for the class. You can post in the facebook group, though you'll just have to remember to remove any non-UTSW students once the class is finalized

Groupme and Discord are the two platforms used here. My class uses Groupme, but I think Discord is better; there's better ability to make threads and what not for each class
Thank you for detailed reply. Is there any chance of anymore pre matches before the final match?

Thank you for detailed reply. Is there any chance of anymore pre matches before the final match?
Depends on if they have covered every round of interviews already or some rounds have not been issued prematches yet.

Does UTSW have any pending interview dates?

Does anybody know when OOS students hear back post-II? There seems to not be much information online about this.

Does anybody know when OOS students hear back post-II? There seems to not be much information online about this.
I asked and they basically just shrugged their shoulders.

• Haha
  • Wow
My year, OOS students heard back as early as November and as late as June. Many people heard back after match day.

• Wow
This may seem like a dumb question but I am a lil confused. I know UTSW starts in July. When filing out FAFSA do we fill out 2023-2024 FAFSA (cause its summer 2024) OR 2024-2025 FAFSA (cause is it assumed school starts in Fall)?

This may seem like a dumb question but I am a lil confused. I know UTSW starts in July. When filing out FAFSA do we fill out 2023-2024 FAFSA (cause its summer 2024) OR 2024-2025 FAFSA (cause is it assumed school starts in Fall)?
2024-2025 FAFSA

Is UTSW still pre-match heavy or are there plenty of seats left for students to get accepted through the Match?

There will be some matches - people who have Baylor and UTSW have to decide between the 2 creating openings at both schools.

Reactions: 2 users
I have the same question?? Is UTSW still pre-match heavy or are there plenty of seats left for students to get accepted through the Match?
lots of MS1s during my interview day said they got in through the match so i'm sure there's still a decent shot!

Reactions: 3 users
I believe data from TMDSAS 2021 pre-matches were released several years ago, and the max a school gave was 170. If that school was UTSW, then there would still be several seats open for the match.

holy smokes I just realized they changed the match day this year (usually is early march). With that being said, i know how stressful it can be to see pre-matches left and right, but make sure you go with your gut and self-reflect before rankings are due Feb 2nd. I was on the side that didn't find out until match and saw others applicants go into their top choices

TL;DR: submit your though-out rankings soon and enjoy your time while the match does its thing for y'all!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received any confirmation email/ recent information about MS0 weekend?

Has anyone received any confirmation email/ recent information about MS0 weekend?
Last MS0 email I got was on 12/14. That email has the schedule for the weekend and FAQs, etc.

Just wanted to pop-in and say I pre-matched on 01/17! Interviewed 08/19.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users