VCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waiting on my DO LOR to send my secondary. Love this school.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I am about to start at VCOM (actually, orientation starts tomorrow!). I just figured I'd answer a couple of questions I saw.

First, about the mac discount - VCOM only has a dell discount. However, I got a new Macbook, as did several of my classmates. If you want a discount at Mac, email me: [email protected]. The company I work for gets a discount and I can link you to the page (I think). Also, they tend to get better employee discounts in the wintertime, near Christmas. I got my macbook for a little under $800 at that time. <3 it. :D

Also - for the waitlist movement. The class of 2013 is very full right now. I think the only way there will be any movement is if a significant number of people don't show up tomorrow/ forgot to withdraw, which is unlikely. Congrats on the 2014 acceptances so far, though!

Finally, VCOM is starting a Post Bac program this year (I think they actually already started classes). If anyone is concerned about their stats but really want to attend VCOM, you might want to check the program out. I think the info. is on their website's home page.

Congrats to everyone and good luck in the application process! I got accepted to several schools and had 4 more interviews set up when I was accepted to VCOM. I canceled the rest of my interviews immediately because I love VCOM so much! :D

Just put on hold (post-secondary) for interview. I think I'll write a letter of interest since I'm completely in love with the school and program. Thoughts? Should I email or mail it in?

Just put on hold (post-secondary) for interview. I think I'll write a letter of interest since I'm completely in love with the school and program. Thoughts? Should I email or mail it in?

Your MCAT is quite impressive. You may have been put on hold because you aren't from the Appalachian area.. or is Maryland included in that?

Your MCAT is quite impressive. You may have been put on hold because you aren't from the Appalachian area.. or is Maryland included in that?

thanks :) took quite a few tries. That's true - I didn't think about that. I'm not sure if MD in general is Appalachian region but the town I grew up in definitely isn't rural! Probably the biggest county in Maryland (suburbs of DC). I don't know what to write in the letter to help them look at me again.

thanks :) took quite a few tries. That's true - I didn't think about that. I'm not sure if MD in general is Appalachian region but the town I grew up in definitely isn't rural! Probably the biggest county in Maryland (suburbs of DC). I don't know what to write in the letter to help them look at me again.

Here's a quote from VCOM's information page on the aacomas website.

"VCOM seeks to admit a portion of the class from qualified applicants based in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and the Appalachian Region. (The Appalachian region consists of rural and underserved areas of Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and West Virginia). Although VCOM seeks students from rural and Appalachian regions, all qualified applicants are considered and students are accepted from areas throughout the United States."

Hey all you "waitlisters that are guaranteed for the class of 2014" ...I got an email from Bea today and she said that our letters (offers) of acceptance will be out next week along with an email/ phone call...so heads up!!:D
Msg me if you are in the same boat...
is there a facebook group for 2014 yet??

VCOM rocks...To all you guys applying from out of the region, I am from Michigan! And during my interview day there was a person all the way from California...and I think she got "waitlisted" like me....so who knows where VCOM is looking for people....
Another thing, during your application process, get a rapport going with either Bea or Megan in admissions... they are extremely helpful and understanding.... I applied so frickin late to the school (just right on the deadline) and Bea was so helpful in setting up everything for the last possible day of interviews...I'm gonna get her a present or somethin'. Megan was very understanding when I was waitlisted and provided all the answers to my nagging questions throughout the summer...
Get to know these two......it could mean the difference in getting an interview or not....:thumbup:

Hey all you "waitlisters that are guaranteed for the class of 2014" ...I got an email from Bea today and she said that our letters (offers) of acceptance will be out next week along with an email/ phone call...so heads up!!:D

VCOM rocks...To all you guys applying from out of the region, I am from Michigan! And during my interview day there was a person all the way from California...and I think she got "waitlisted" like me....so who knows where VCOM is looking for people....
Another thing, during your application process, get a rapport going with either Bea or Megan in admissions... they are extremely helpful and understanding.... I applied so frickin late to the school (just right on the deadline) and Bea was so helpful in setting up everything for the last possible day of interviews...I'm gonna get her a present or somethin'. Megan was very understanding when I was waitlisted and provided all the answers to my nagging questions throughout the summer...
Get to know these two......it could mean the difference in getting an interview or not....:thumbup:

Hey Shigellaman,

I'm in the "waitlisted but guaranteed admission to the class of 2014" group. Thanks for the heads up about the letters coming out. I'm so excited to attend VCOM next year I can't wait. I don't think there is a facebook group yet, but we should start one soon. Looks we are going to be classmates :)

I am so excited.. thanks for the heads up... will be waiting for that letter..
:D:D

QUOTE=shigellaman;8526481]Hey all you "waitlisters that are guaranteed for the class of 2014" ...I got an email from Bea today and she said that our letters (offers) of acceptance will be out next week along with an email/ phone call...so heads up!!:D

Get to know these two......it could mean the difference in getting an interview or not....:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Hey Shigellaman,

I'm in the "waitlisted but guaranteed admission to the class of 2014" group. Thanks for the heads up about the letters coming out. I'm so excited to attend VCOM next year I can't wait. I don't think there is a facebook group yet, but we should start one soon. Looks we are going to be classmates :)

Hey there I am also on the waitlist guaranteed spot for 2014! Thanks for the update...can't wait...

got the official email today..earlier than expected...Megan says letters will be sent out this Tuesday (Aug 18th)...hope you guys in the same boat said "yes" to the offer!!....I can now officially breathe easy......whoops there is that deposit due by Sept 15th...
hey check this link out for some thoughts......

http://dotomd.com/home.cfm?CFID=17977329&CFTOKEN=34095160

I met this one Doc who was a D.O./M.D. (Clinical Pathology) and man he says it was worth it. I'm putting this out there for all future medical students that have reservations about the D.O. vs M.D. argument. I love the Osteopath philosophy and approach so I'll stick to my guns there. But there is a potential solution for people that are "iffy" about Osteopathic Medicine and have to get that MD to put air in their tires...
Hey...can't spell the word "Doctor" without "D.O." :smuggrin:
and answers for... (you know who you are).....1) Batman 2) B.Ed 3) try and buy a house 4) old enough to drive....hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
:D
I got the official email today .. and of course YES to the offer.. see u all next year

got the official email today..earlier than expected...Megan says letters will be sent out this Tuesday (Aug 18th)...hope you guys in the same boat said "yes" to the offer!!....I can now officially breathe easy......whoops there is that deposit due by Sept 15th...

I met this one Doc who was a D.O./M.D. (Clinical Pathology) and man he says it was worth it. I'm putting this out there for all future medical students that have reservations about the D.O. vs M.D. argument. I love the Osteopath philosophy and approach so I'll stick to my guns there. But there is a potential solution for people that are "iffy" about Osteopathic Medicine and have to get that MD to put air in their tires...
and answers for... (you know who you are).....1) Batman 2) B.Ed 3) try and buy a house 4) old enough to drive....hehe

Waitlisted pre-interview. /Cry

Awesome school. but not from the Appalachian, and I am hesitant about rural medicine.

Waitlisted pre-interview. /Cry

Awesome school. but not from the Appalachian, and I am hesitant about rural medicine.

how long from when you were complete to when you were notified of your status?

sorry to hear that btw.

Just got a "complete" email with this info in case anyone's interested in interview scheduling:

We will begin reviewing completed applications in early August and will schedule our first interviews for early decision applicants in mid-September and for our general application pool in early-October. Once your application is reviewed, we will be certain to provide you with an update on your status.

any guaranteed 2014's get their letter yet? I hope it did not get lost!:eek:

You can actually Google "Appalachian region" and it will show you a detailed map of the area. Just thought this might help.

yay!! got the acceptance letter today...okay time to get all this stuff done on the checklist....see all you guys next year!!
(hmmm...hope I pass the background check) :D

Hell Ya!!!VCOM Class of 2014!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yay....:D that's great news

no letter for me yet :( hope it did not get lost :xf:

yay!! got the acceptance letter today...okay time to get all this stuff done on the checklist....see all you guys next year!!

Haha everytime I check this thread I get confused and have to reorient myself. I'm like "wow, they've been accepted and I just was sent a complete email!!" Congrats to ya'll :D

YAY I finally got my letter today!! :D I'm going to start a group on facebook so we can all keep in touch! Look forward to being classmates with everyone!! I've never been so excited to write a check in my life.

Got my letter yesterday .. Superrr Excited !!!!! :D:D looking forward to meeting everyone ...
VCOM 2014 ..yay... :D

YAY I finally got my letter today!! :D I'm going to start a group on facebook so we can all keep in touch! Look forward to being classmates with everyone!! I've never been so excited to write a check in my life.

That's great.. Good luck with applications .. if u need any advice plz. PM me.. I went through the same thing last year .. and would love to help out anyone :)

I'm getting a DO letter!!! :D:D:D

and from the Director of Emergency Medicine at my hospital - a regional trauma center. :D

Good evening, all! I've been granted early admission and will be joining the VCOM Class of 2014. (If there's another thread more appropriate please direct me there)

I'm pretty excited, and wanted to touch base with some current students, talk about the Blacksburg area, where to live, and what there is to do!:D

~Matt

Congrats !!!! its nice to meet another classmate...

There is a VCOM class of 2013 group on facebook as well as a newly formed VCOM 2014 group. It may be helpful to also look into VCOM 2008-2009 and VCOM 2013 forums on this (studentdoc).
Hope this helps

cheers :)

Good evening, all! I've been granted early admission and will be joining the VCOM Class of 2014. (If there's another thread more appropriate please direct me there)

I'm pretty excited, and wanted to touch base with some current students, talk about the Blacksburg area, where to live, and what there is to do!:D

~Matt

Interview invites for VCOM have officially started rolling in. I got the interview invite this morning. For those curious.... In state, complete August 4th.

Interview invite! IS, Complete 8/21.

I just saw that we have 3 interviews that day!

When is everyone interviewing? My interview date is September 21. I am soooo excited! :)

Interview invite! Complete mid Aug for those interested.

Interview invite in a couple weeks! My app was complete early August, just got the call on September 1st. I'm nervous but way excited!

if anyone has any vcom questions --i'm in 2013 and wouldn't mind answering them :) shoot me an email [email protected] BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL

Just wanted to comment on this link. DO NOT do this program or go to an osteopathic school with the decision to do this program. You pay an exorbitant amount of money to some off-shore school, take some classes online (I believe) and then get an MD after your name. There is no point.

Hello everybody, I am new in this forum; I submitted my AACOMAS appl. about a week ago and in order to kill sometime while my appl. gets verified I would like to know if anybody mind posting the secondary appl. essays/questions ??

Thank you

They are: "Please answer the following questions and limit your response to one-half page."

What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college?

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

Good luck!

p.s. I'm new to the forum, but I have been following a few threads for awhile. I am a graduate student reapplying to DO schools!

They are: "Please answer the following questions and limit your response to one-half page."

What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college?

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

Good luck!

p.s. I'm new to the forum, but I have been following a few threads for awhile. I am a graduate student reapplying to DO schools!

Thank you.. the supplemental materials are also available at the vcom webpage as a word and pdf document.

Got an interview invite! I will be interviewing october 14th. Apparently they tried to call me two weeks ago and left a voice message but I never got it :( Good thing they tried again!:thumbup:

Congrats to all you guys getting interview invites!! Good luck and hope you'll join us other 2014ers soon! Keep us posted!

Not to be super nosey or anything, but I was wondering what some people's gpas and MCATs were that received interviews or got accepted. I was very surprised(but ecstatic) to get an interview at VCOM but my MCAT is not the best. I have heard about people like me having good interviews and still getting rejected because of this. Does anyone think this is the case at VCOM? My highest individual combined score is a 23, but my highest individual test is a 21, my gpa is high, at 3.64c and 3.60s, and the rest of my application is very strong(rural area, ecs, lors, leadership, etc.). I am also a grad student at PCOM. Any help would be great.