VCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new discussion goes here!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering is early decision route is for rising junior ? ( or after finishing sophomore year ?)

Does this school show preference to Virginia residents aka I'm confused because on the website it says they accept 81% from Appalachian region...meaning only 40 seats (out of 200) are left for out of region students??

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school show preference to Virginia residents aka I'm confused because on the website it says they accept 81% from Appalachian region...meaning only 40 seats (out of 200) are left for out of region students??

In short, yes and no. They do show preference for residents from Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, etc. (Appalachian States). The VCOM Carolinas Campus does the same, but also give more focus to those in the Carolinas.

Does Ohio count as Appalachian? Cause most of my family is from SE Ohio which is about as Appalachian as the others haha. I would love to get in here!!

Does Ohio count as Appalachian? Cause most of my family is from SE Ohio which is about as Appalachian as the others haha. I would love to get in here!!

Ohio does receive preference. Also keep in mind that they give preference to the specific appalachian areas of those states (however, even if you are from those states and not in appalachia you still have a better chance of getting in than somebody from the west coast for example).

Ohio does receive preference. Also keep in mind that they give preference to the specific appalachian areas of those states (however, even if you are from those states and not in appalachia you still have a better chance of getting in than somebody from the west coast for example).

Thank you!

Thank you!

Ok, I may have lied, kind of... http://www.vcom.vt.edu/aboutvcom/recruitment.html

Apparently their Appalachian focus is specifically VA, NC, SC, and TN. I know they pull in a lot of WV'ers, which is clearly Appalachia. I also know a lot of NJ, PA, and OH students make their way into the class. There are obviously more than just those 4 states that comprise Appalachia, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if you're from a rural area anyway.

I think they do show preference for Appalachian states, however, they also show some preference for other applicants from rural areas. I was accepted last year and am from the rural Midwest. You never really know what the committee is looking for so apply even if you do not fulfill those criteria.

Ok, I may have lied, kind of... http://www.vcom.vt.edu/aboutvcom/recruitment.html

Apparently their Appalachian focus is specifically VA, NC, SC, and TN. I know they pull in a lot of WV'ers, which is clearly Appalachia. I also know a lot of NJ, PA, and OH students make their way into the class. There are obviously more than just those 4 states that comprise Appalachia, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if you're from a rural area anyway.

That's ok man, I appreciate the help nonetheless. I will just keep my fingers crossed! :xf:

Who 's excited to apply here?! What's everyones plans?

Hey All,

I received an e-mail from VCOM today, here's what it said:

"Thank you for submitting a primary application to VCOM – Virginia Campus. Please be advised your application was received from AACOMAS. We look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications the second week of July and will be certain to follow-up with you regarding your status at that time."

Quick stats: Submitted primary to AACOMAS 6/1
Primary released to schools 6/9

Sounds like secondaries should start rolling out after the second week of July! Has anybody else heard anything different, or from any other schools?

I received the same email today.

Submitted primary to AACOMAS on 6/4
Primary released 6/21

Nova just emailed me today and sent out the link for the secondary. I am still waiting to hear back from others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same email today.

Submitted primary to AACOMAS on 6/4
Primary released 6/21

Nova just emailed me today and sent out the link for the secondary. I am still waiting to hear back from others.

Same here! Waiting on 5 others.... Re-take MCAT 7/6.

Did anyone apply early decision?

Just got the secondary. It's kind of a challenge filling the thing out - it is a Word document and I have to delete the extra characters to keep the formatting.

are there any essays?

Yes.

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college?.

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?.

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face..

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?.

Well I just found out that VCOM won't accept a LoR from a DO that's an intern. Great. Guess my hat's out of the ring for this school...too bad, I really like it but I'm not going to start looking for another DO to shadow this late in the game.

Well I just found out that VCOM won't accept a LoR from a DO that's an intern. Great. Guess my hat's out of the ring for this school...too bad, I really like it but I'm not going to start looking for another DO to shadow this late in the game.

You definitely SHOULD look for another to shadow! This will show them that you are still being proactive and that you really want this! Don't give up so easily, gotta have a little fight in you if you want to make it! *sending positive thoughts your way*

I went to college in SC. Do you think that helps me at all? I would love to go to the Carolina Campus, but I'm from a suburban town in NJ, and I feel like this may work against me.

You definitely SHOULD look for another to shadow! This will show them that you are still being proactive and that you really want this! Don't give up so easily, gotta have a little fight in you if you want to make it! *sending positive thoughts your way*

I really like VCOM I'm just in no mood to shadow another doctor. I applied to 35 other osteo/allo programs.

any word/character limits for the secondary essays?

any word/character limits for the secondary essays?

Half a page, they said.

What effect does state of residency have on admissions? I see that they have a preference for Appalachian states. I live in Georgia - the Appalachian Mountains run through here, so I am assuming they count GA as an Appalachian state.

Last edited:
@ Adamb83, I am going to be a MS1 at VCOM-CC in August. I went to school and live in a major city no where near SC and I had no problems. If you have applied early and fit with VCOM's mission statement you should be golden. Good luck.

@ Adamb83, I am going to be a MS1 at VCOM-CC in August. I went to school and live in a major city no where near SC and I had no problems. If you have applied early and fit with VCOM's mission statement you should be golden. Good luck.

if you dont mind me asking what were ur stats? and do they give preference to in-state residents, cuz I am from Illinois.

VCOM does show preference to applicants from the Appalachian region, as stated on their website. However, I was accepted for the inaugural class of the Carolinas campus, and I am from Indiana. Just use your secondary essays and interview to show VCOM why you're a good fit for the osteopathic profession and VCOM specifically. Any ties to the state - VA or SC - be sure to mention up front! Any further questions, PM me. I'll keep my eye on this thread throughout the app season & try to jump in where applicable. Good luck!

Today I called out of worry(I still hadn't recieved a secondary). They were reviewing my primary right as I called. Long story short, they will be sending me a secondary today.... I'm relieved, I really like this school. :love:

Is anyone else having trouble with formatting the secondary? Lol.

I'm using Open Office and it keeps getting screwed up. Maybe I need MS Word.

I went to college in SC. Do you think that helps me at all? I would love to go to the Carolina Campus, but I'm from a suburban town in NJ, and I feel like this may work against me.

I am from suburban New Jersey and went to college in Philadelphia and I got in to the Carolinas Campus! While they have a preference for students from their area they are very open to students who fit well with the school no matter where they are from. We have 2-3 people from New Jersey, 5-6 from Pennsylvania and a couple from New York starting this year. Don't worry about it just apply and show you are interested! Good Luck!

Is anyone else having trouble with formatting the secondary? Lol.

I'm using Open Office and it keeps getting screwed up. Maybe I need MS Word.

Yeah I had issues with formatting too. No matter what I did, something turned out odd!

anybody complete yet? submitted everything last week but only got the email saying they needed the DO letter, fee and faculty letter.

Did u submit your LOR's and stuff?

As of Now, I have submitted everything and playing the waiting game!

Good luck to everyone!

Hey guys, I'm starting at the Carolinas Campus in less then a month! I just wanted to let everyone know that if you have any questions about the SC campus.. just let me know.. BTW I am from SC and was living in Charleston when I applied... but I have met numerous classmates who are from areas no where near the Appalachia region. It's most important that you present yourself as a correct FIT for VCOM. They need to know that VCOM is the medical school for you! Meaning that your goals and desires match up with those of the school's. Also, here are some up-to-date pictures of the construction of our building.. I'm pumped about utilizing these facilities!
http://www.triangleconstruction.com/vcom_7_13_11/index.htm

I was informed through email. However, it was somewhat of an informal verification. I have been in contact with the admissions department every week for a few months now. Hopefully it works out.

Good luck everyone. ;)

Good luck with interview season, everyone. I'm a third year at VCOM (Virginia campus) rotating in Norton. Feel free to PM with questions.

Submitted the secondary last week, got an email a few days ago saying they've processed it but can't extend an interview invite without LORs....waiting on my adviser for that...holding up the process

Got an email asking for my summer grades, which are in progress, before being sent to committee. Does anyone else find that interesting?

I am filling out my secondary and there is a part which asks you to, and I quote, "check the languages which you are able to communicate". How is everyone interpreting this question? I can communicate in Spanish (took 8 yrs of Spanish throughout high school and college) but am by no means fluent. Is this asking for fluency or just ability to communicate? I am confused as to what to put. Thanks!

Got an email asking for my summer grades, which are in progress, before being sent to committee. Does anyone else find that interesting?

I was sent the same e-mail last year and let them know that I dropped the class and decided not to take it over the summer and about a week later I got an interview. While it's just one scenario I think it's a good sign that they are interested.

I am filling out my secondary and there is a part which asks you to, and I quote, "check the languages which you are able to communicate". How is everyone interpreting this question? I can communicate in Spanish (took 8 yrs of Spanish throughout high school and college) but am by no means fluent. Is this asking for fluency or just ability to communicate? I am confused as to what to put. Thanks!

This is most likely in reference to the mission trips so if you think your Spanish is decent enough to communicate with prospective patients in South America than go for it and say you can communicate in Spanish. Its not mandatory so either way it shouldn't effect your chances of getting an interview.

Hey guys,

Quick question about the formatting on this secondary... how are you all doing the checks when it says "Check yes or no", etc. Are you using one of the shapes in Office? Or do you think it'd be better to print it out after typing the essays, handwriting the biography info, and rescanning it??

Hey guys,

Quick question about the formatting on this secondary... how are you all doing the checks when it says "Check yes or no", etc. Are you using one of the shapes in Office? Or do you think it'd be better to print it out after typing the essays, handwriting the biography info, and rescanning it??

I just typed a X in the field.

I wonder why this thread is so inactive... lol.

Anyway, quick question. I received an email from VCOM confirming they got my payment and supplemental. They said they are waiting on my LORs which they should've gotten on 8/19 via interfolio. I assume it takes a couple days for them to download and verify LORs... correct? Or should I call them?