VCOM Post-bac 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just emailed Alisa and she said it s a 3.6 at the end of the first semester and that we must maintain it throughout the second semester. Also "no single grade can be less than a B" which sucks cause thers very little room for error I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone else who has been accepted that has not taken the MCAT? I *just* finished the bare minimum in terms of pre-reqs and had only started seriously studying a few weeks ago. I applied to the post-bacc thinking there was a very small chance I'd actually get in this year and just got an acceptance TWO days ago. So I'm gonna go for it but getting that 24 in time seems like more than a big stretch..

Curious to see if there is anyone else in a similar position and also putting some feelers out for potential MCAT study buddies..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I was just accepted into the Post Bacc program and I am very excited about the opportunity. I have done my own research but was wondering if any previous post bacc students who were admitted into VCOM for next year could tell me about the medical college? It is a fairly new medical school so what is the reputation currently? Do you believe VCOM gives you the opportunity to practice any medical specialty, if you score well enough? I believe I have what it takes to maintain a 3.6 GPA and I do have the MCAT to get a direct admit into the school. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Congrats to all accepted and I cannot wait to meet you all!

Hello everyone, I was just accepted into the Post Bacc program and I am very excited about the opportunity. I have done my own research but was wondering if any previous post bacc students who were admitted into VCOM for next year could tell me about the medical college?

Hi there, ZSMD! Just wanted to say congrats on your acceptance! I don't have any answers to your questions as I will just be a fellow classmate figuring it all out. Looking forward to meeting you on the 21st.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, Grantie! Congrats to you as well!! Looking forward to it!

Is there anyone else who has been accepted that has not taken the MCAT? I *just* finished the bare minimum in terms of pre-reqs and had only started seriously studying a few weeks ago. I applied to the post-bacc thinking there was a very small chance I'd actually get in this year and just got an acceptance TWO days ago. So I'm gonna go for it but getting that 24 in time seems like more than a big stretch..

Curious to see if there is anyone else in a similar position and also putting some feelers out for potential MCAT study buddies..
When are you planning on taking the MCAT?

When are you planning on taking the MCAT?
Now I'm not sure. I was planning to take in November but now that I just got accepted everything is up in the air. I'm not exactly clear on what kind of prep I'm going to be able to get done while the program is on so I'm just doing what I can to study before the 21st.

What's your situation lookin' like?

There will be lots of people studying for the MCAT and the program starts off slower to allow for time to study for MCAT in September.

Now I'm not sure. I was planning to take in November but now that I just got accepted everything is up in the air. I'm not exactly clear on what kind of prep I'm going to be able to get done while the program is on so I'm just doing what I can to study before the 21st.

What's your situation lookin' like?
Im on the waitlist, and If i do get accepted I will also have to study for the MCAT while in the program

Hello everyone, I was just accepted into the Post Bacc program and I am very excited about the opportunity. I have done my own research but was wondering if any previous post bacc students who were admitted into VCOM for next year could tell me about the medical college? It is a fairly new medical school so what is the reputation currently? Do you believe VCOM gives you the opportunity to practice any medical specialty, if you score well enough? I believe I have what it takes to maintain a 3.6 GPA and I do have the MCAT to get a direct admit into the school. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Congrats to all accepted and I cannot wait to meet you all!

The annual report/yearbook is online and looking through that you can find where past students have matched.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just gave up my spot to the program, I was accepted into my in-state program so hopefully you can grab my spot @buckeye01 Good luck to everyone, and I hope you all do great in to program!

I got accepted about a month ago but the email was in my junk mail. I declined my acceptance hopefully this will open up a spot for someone deserving!

I just gave up my spot to the program, I was accepted into my in-state program so hopefully you can grab my spot @buckeye01 Good luck to everyone, and I hope you all do great in to program!
Thank you I hope so too

I already did that and i don't want to keep bothering them like that. Just wanted see if anyone has heard something that I have not.
The deadline to accept the offer to the program was yesterday, so I would expect some movement this week

For everyone who has to take the mcat again, or will take it for the first time, you should really consider doing an mcat prep course with Princeton Review. The class I'm enrolled in this semester starts on August 4 or there's another class that starts August 25. They meet 2 hours, 4 nights a week for 2.5 months. It's really an investment worth making since they guarantee considerably better scores. I've heard from people who have done the course to raise their score and in every case it was remarkably increased. They are still accepting people in the class so check it out, and let's beat the MCAT!!

Hey Guys I am a previous post bacc and now officially MS1. You guys are doing a great thing by applying, hands down the best thing I could have done for myself. Numbers are numbers and they do matter, but they are true to their word. Every year they are getting more and more applicants and taking better numbers, but they sincerely look at personal statements etc... For those that are waiting, you must realize that the people who run the post bacc program are about 3 people and they really take time with every single application. That is why it takes so long. I had applied in December the prior year and I called one day in June and found out that I was accepted, but that they had just sent my letter. If you applied to VCOM, they also are looking to see if you are a candidate for the medical school if something were to happen with the waiting list etc. Had one person I know that applied to the post bacc and then they took into the medical school the year I was in it two days before post bacc classes started. So waiting is always the worst part.

As far as once you are accepted into the Post Bacc. Do yourself a favor if you dont have a 24 on the mcat then study all summer for it prior to getting into and starting the program, I would wait to take it until the program tells you to though. To VCOM grades are paramount and they will not accept you if in the program you don't maintain a minimum of a 3.6 based on all the numbers I knew of people having etc...(there is nothing in writing on what I say, but I can promise you I am a good resource.) There were people in my class with 32 mcat scores who took the post bacc and did not get accepted to the school after because they did not maintain the grades. That being said, study all the time you can before school starts on the MCAT and if you are low in BS section, the post bacc brought my score up 4 points in BS alone, but by studying for the mcat early, if you feel ready then take it early or you can focus on grades more, because it will be extremely hard to maintain the grades and put in sufficient time for the mcat. So overall word to the wise is get the 24 so that you can focus solely on maintaining a 3.6 gpa, which will give you guaranteed acceptance. The numbers reported online just to be honest are false advertisement. Less than half of every class the past few years has gotten in, and if you don't get the grades and the mcat of 24 by Christmas time, chances of going to the virginia campus are much lower, and most people are offered acceptance on the second round of post bacc admissions to south carolina's campus. All of these details may seem scary, but the program is the best ever, a ton of hard work though. The school is one big family and everyone is super nice, but if you are going to do a post bacc, its not the backdoor to medical school everyone thinks it is and the faculty that run the program will make you work through it like you never have before, but thats any post bacc program. This is a transition to medical school where you will study more hours than you have daylight and if you dont know that going in and cant commit to that, dont waste the 16grand that the program costs, or did when I got in. When you come in if you are wise you will be squared away with living etc so that you can focus on your grades more than you ever have before. If you apply yourself and do what every person who has ever got into medical school has had to do, which is work their absolute hardest, then chances are you will get in and then be very successful in the medical school as well. I came from undergrad where I didnt apply myself etc, and then figured out what it took to become a medical student and this program has made the complete difference. Every block in medical school this far has been way easier, because you basically are taught a lot of pieces of first year, but at a little slower pace, which you all will think is insane that the post bacc is slower, but like I said its the perfect transition.

If you haven't heard back yet, be patient or give the staff a call and be polite. There are only 3 people that I know of, maybe only 1 or 2 of the three that are running things and they are taking their time with the applications and finding the ones who fit this program right. This program has a lot to do about fit versus numbers, and so it takes a while. Once you are accepted, get things in line for yourself and study your hardest if you dont have the mcat numbers already.
This is true, but there is one more requirement that is what everyone forgets about: a positive evaluation from faculty and staff when they meet to discuss your performance. This is the one that gets people in trouble if they have difficulty acting professionally or doing things like following the dress code.

So, the way to be successful in the post-bacc program:

1. Study like you have never studied before, and get that >=3.6 in the first semester, then MAINTAIN it during the second semester. If you let it drop below a 3.6, they would be within their rights to rescind your acceptance.
2. Study like you have never studied before, and get that >=24 MCAT.
3. Check any attitude you might have at the door, dress appropriately, act professionally around the faculty AND STAFF, and be very careful about your email correspondence with faculty/staff.

If the whole 60-ish some students followed these rules and hit the marks, all of them would get in (between the VA/SC campuses, and maybe the Auburn campus once it gets going). I don't know what the success rate has been in recent years, but really it's all up to the individual.
Exactly how are the numbers reported online false advertisement? The website says that the 4 year
Hey Guys I am a previous post bacc and now officially MS1. You guys are doing a great thing by applying, hands down the best thing I could have done for myself. Numbers are numbers and they do matter, but they are true to their word. Every year they are getting more and more applicants and taking better numbers, but they sincerely look at personal statements etc... For those that are waiting, you must realize that the people who run the post bacc program are about 3 people and they really take time with every single application. That is why it takes so long. I had applied in December the prior year and I called one day in June and found out that I was accepted, but that they had just sent my letter. If you applied to VCOM, they also are looking to see if you are a candidate for the medical school if something were to happen with the waiting list etc. Had one person I know that applied to the post bacc and then they took into the medical school the year I was in it two days before post bacc classes started. So waiting is always the worst part.

As far as once you are accepted into the Post Bacc. Do yourself a favor if you dont have a 24 on the mcat then study all summer for it prior to getting into and starting the program, I would wait to take it until the program tells you to though. To VCOM grades are paramount and they will not accept you if in the program you don't maintain a minimum of a 3.6 based on all the numbers I knew of people having etc...(there is nothing in writing on what I say, but I can promise you I am a good resource.) There were people in my class with 32 mcat scores who took the post bacc and did not get accepted to the school after because they did not maintain the grades. That being said, study all the time you can before school starts on the MCAT and if you are low in BS section, the post bacc brought my score up 4 points in BS alone, but by studying for the mcat early, if you feel ready then take it early or you can focus on grades more, because it will be extremely hard to maintain the grades and put in sufficient time for the mcat. So overall word to the wise is get the 24 so that you can focus solely on maintaining a 3.6 gpa, which will give you guaranteed acceptance. The numbers reported online just to be honest are false advertisement. Less than half of every class the past few years has gotten in, and if you don't get the grades and the mcat of 24 by Christmas time, chances of going to the virginia campus are much lower, and most people are offered acceptance on the second round of post bacc admissions to south carolina's campus. All of these details may seem scary, but the program is the best ever, a ton of hard work though. The school is one big family and everyone is super nice, but if you are going to do a post bacc, its not the backdoor to medical school everyone thinks it is and the faculty that run the program will make you work through it like you never have before, but thats any post bacc program. This is a transition to medical school where you will study more hours than you have daylight and if you dont know that going in and cant commit to that, dont waste the 16grand that the program costs, or did when I got in. When you come in if you are wise you will be squared away with living etc so that you can focus on your grades more than you ever have before. If you apply yourself and do what every person who has ever got into medical school has had to do, which is work their absolute hardest, then chances are you will get in and then be very successful in the medical school as well. I came from undergrad where I didnt apply myself etc, and then figured out what it took to become a medical student and this program has made the complete difference. Every block in medical school this far has been way easier, because you basically are taught a lot of pieces of first year, but at a little slower pace, which you all will think is insane that the post bacc is slower, but like I said its the perfect transition.

If you haven't heard back yet, be patient or give the staff a call and be polite. There are only 3 people that I know of, maybe only 1 or 2 of the three that are running things and they are taking their time with the applications and finding the ones who fit this program right. This program has a lot to do about fit versus numbers, and so it takes a while. Once you are accepted, get things in line for yourself and study your hardest if you dont have the mcat numbers already.
Exactly how are the online reports false advertise? The website says the 4 year acceptance rate into medical school for those who complete the program is 74%. What's inaccurate about their statement?

For some of you that have been accepted I was wondering what were your stats if you don't mind me asking Im applying to this program this year I have a 3.4 science gpa