visible tattoo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiaMia14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating residency in 2 weeks and I want to get a tattoo as my gift to myself. I have a few that are in places easily hidden, but I am contemplating getting this one on my wrist. It would be relatively covered if I wear a watch, but a bit of it would still be visible on the side of my arm. I already have a job for next year, and it seems like tattoos are now becoming common in the workplace; I actually interviewed for a job where one of the physicians had a full sleeve. I want to be able to see it daily, as it would be a reminder of what I went through to get to this point. I cannot find a "dress code" or policy at my new workplace that addresses the issue, but I feel like it would be easily covered up with a white coat and so administration would rarely have the opportunity to see it. The only time when it would be apparent would be when I am scrubbing into the OR. I know medicine is a more conservative career, but would a molecule on my wrist really be the death of me?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where you work...

I am in 2 intuitions.
The big one, run by a religious organization would not care.
The smaller one,run by a state educational organization would require you to cover it up.

I predict, in ten years nobody will care.

Reactions: 1 user
I am graduating residency in 2 weeks and I want to get a tattoo as my gift to myself. I have a few that are in places easily hidden, but I am contemplating getting this one on my wrist. It would be relatively covered if I wear a watch, but a bit of it would still be visible on the side of my arm. I already have a job for next year, and it seems like tattoos are now becoming common in the workplace; I actually interviewed for a job where one of the physicians had a full sleeve. I want to be able to see it daily, as it would be a reminder of what I went through to get to this point. I cannot find a "dress code" or policy at my new workplace that addresses the issue, but I feel like it would be easily covered up with a white coat and so administration would rarely have the opportunity to see it. The only time when it would be apparent would be when I am scrubbing into the OR. I know medicine is a more conservative career, but would a molecule on my wrist really be the death of me?
They might make you cover it up depending on how much of a stick they have up their ass. You are exceptionally unlikely to have anything happen beyond that.

Reactions: 1 user
My mom is an RN at a religious hospital. They make you over up your tattoos but nothing beyond that. You also have to have natural hair color and have to wear white or black socks with scrubs. You can dye your hair, but it can’t be pink or anything like that, and it can’t be two tone. They also do nicotine testing.

Some places will require you to cover it. This would basically mean long sleeves forever if you end up at such an institution

My mom is an RN at a religious hospital. They make you over up your tattoos but nothing beyond that. You also have to have natural hair color and have to wear white or black socks with scrubs. You can dye your hair, but it can’t be pink or anything like that, and it can’t be two tone. They also do nicotine testing.

I am an Ob/Gyn and morally could not ever see myself working for a religious institution (especially a Catholic hospital which it seems like that one might be). I am getting it done tomorrow and I will cover it if they require me to I suppose. If someone has an issue with it it's probably not somewhere I really want to be. I would also not be able to handle the black/white sock issue...my socks are almost always not matching and are frequently bright pink...gotta keep a little bit of my "me-ness" :happy:

Last edited:
I am an Ob/Gyn and morally could not ever see myself working for a religious institution (especially a Catholic hospital which it seems like that one might be). I am getting it done tomorrow and I will cover it if they require me to I suppose. If someone has an issue with it it's probably not somewhere I really want to be. I would also not be able to handle the black/white sock issue...my socks are almost always not matching and are frequently bright pink...gotta keep a little bit of my "me-ness" :happy:
I think you’ll be fine as long as you don’t work in religious institutions or perhaps rural areas.