Visiting Rotation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteocat15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning 4th year at an osteopathic school in the Fall and am finalizing my rotations for next year.

I am very interested in psychiatry and was thinking about doing 1 or 2 psych audition rotations at some allopathic programs. I realize the MD world doesn't care as much about auditions compared to the DO world. However, the only way for me to get letters of recommendation from actual psych faculty at teaching institutions is to do auditions.

I can get a letter from a community psychiatrist but it seems more emphasis is placed on teaching university psychiatry faculty. Is this correct? If so, I assume I should do auditions -- at least 1 then.

Should I do a sub-I audition or more of a psych elective audition? Does 1 carry more 'weight' than the other. In VSAS, I'm seeing options for sub-I psych rotations and psych elective rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

From my perspective a LOR from an attending who supervised someone on an inpatient sub-I rotation would be more informative about that person than from an elective.