VMCAS question: Media Coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StinaBee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am working on the grueling work of inputting all experiences/achievements since High School, and I am curious what are the opinions on including media coverage. I was in a number of local news articles for my UG research on honeybees and some other service work, but I don't know how to include it on my application!

It seems to make sense in Achievements, but I don't think it makes sense as an award/honor. Thoughts??

Thanks for the input! And good luck to everyone else entering the C/O 2021 applicant pool!

Members don't see this ad.

Being covered by the media? I don't see how that applies at all. Wanna pat yourself on the back? Then cut out an article and hang it on your wall, or post the video on FB. Otherwise, that is not an achievement.

Reactions: 3 users
Include your research experience on the application. You might be able to list media coverage under the description for your research, if you think it's warranted. If you got an award for it, list that under achievements. Otherwise I don't think there's a place for it on the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

I am working on the grueling work of inputting all experiences/achievements since High School, and I am curious what are the opinions on including media coverage. I was in a number of local news articles for my UG research on honeybees and some other service work, but I don't know how to include it on my application!

It seems to make sense in Achievements, but I don't think it makes sense as an award/honor. Thoughts??

Thanks for the input! And good luck to everyone else entering the C/O 2021 applicant pool!

Assuming you spoke to the media and it was aired, that would be great to talk about in your PS. Public speaking and passion are great qualities to have IMO.

If not you can always list it in the description :)

And good luck to you too!!

Reactions: 1 user
Being covered by the media? I don't see how that applies at all. Wanna pat yourself on the back? Then cut out an article and hang it on your wall, or post the video on FB. Otherwise, that is not an achievement.

I disagree - I think it's neat and definitely worth mentioning :) I'm not familiar with the most recent VMCAS sections but I think including it under achievements could work. And would be a good talking point at an interview, either from a fun-fact perspective or spinning it as communication/education.

Reactions: 7 users
I put in my little 5 minutes of fame when I was nominated to be in the school paper and interviewed for my volunteer work. It was a proud moment and it certainly was an achievement to me and also an honor because I felt honored. Don't shortchange yourself, lots of things in my app didn't fit very well in vmcas but I put them in the best category that common sense would allow. Put your media coverage in!

When I applied, I listed that I had been featured in an article for the quarterly publication of a large zoo. To some degree, I think it can demonstrate/emphasize the significance of whatever it was that you were highlighted in the media for. Certainly be judicious - I don't know that I would list a local spotlight for being crowned the hot dog eating champion at a local fair, for example - but I agree that mentioning media coverage can be a good idea when done well.

I can't think of any reason not to include it since the coverage was related to research you were conducting. It's not going to suddenly make you more competitive, but it gives the adcom something unique about you to stick in their minds. This is exactly the kind of thing people are talking about when they say you should be "well-rounded."