VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlumPoppy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread for this application cycle yet, so I figured I'd start one! 3rd time starting the application, but my first time applying! Super excited but nervous.

I have this burning question in my mind, and I haven't seen any answers on here or school websites. Does anyone know how schools (or just particular schools) are doing last 36/45 GPA when Spring 2020 was P/F or S/N? I've never submit my application, so I'm not sure how all of that goes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Obligatory unsolicited advice post that is necessary every year.

1. Consider yourself rejected until you receive an acceptance. As such, do not stop working on your application after you hit submit. Continue to gain hours, improve or maintain those grades, and do everything you would do before turning it in.

Addendum: it is an urban myth most veterinary students take multiple cycles for acceptance. The AAVMC reports that approximately 65-70% of incoming first year veterinary students are first time applicants. Make your application count.

2. You don't have to turn in your app right meow. There is no advantage to turning your application in early for the vast majority of schools. So turn it in when its ready.

3. Updates are school dependent. So ask them.

4. Personal pets are worth limited hours (school dependent). Be realistic about how many hours you assign for pet ownership.

5. Prerequisites are prerequisites. If a school doesn't require it, don't feel you have to take it. If a school does require, 99% of people will need to take it at 99% of schools. The majority of schools will not forgive/replace a prerequisite for the majority of applicants. The only way you'll know is if you email schools about your specific situation.

Addendum: do not be surprised if you're rejected from a school due to prerequisites not being met if you haven't taken it and have not listed it as planned. How do the schools know you'll have it done otherwise?

6. GPA cut offs are a thing. If you submit below a published GPA cut off, you just made a donation to the school.

7. There will be radio silence for extended periods of time. Mentally prepare yourself to not hear from anyone for months at a time.

Addendum: this is a serious point. You will not get updates willy nilly. There are thousands of you and only dozens of admissions committee members per school. Check old threads for basic timelines.

8. You need to submit a transcript from every higher education institution you attended. Community college while also in high school? Add to VMCAS and submit. Junior college 3 years ago before a gap year? Submit. 7 colleges cause you had to move a bunch? Submit.

Added 2/8/22:
9. Provisional accreditation doesn't matter for the baby schools. As long as you pass the NAVLE and graduate, the AVMA will recognize your degree and you'll be a veterinarian. Deficient accreditation in the older schools also doesn't really matter. Every school has lapsed in some sort of accreditation standard at some point. They get x amount of time to resolve it and the resolution generally only benefits students.

Added 2/24/2022
10. Only apply to schools where yoy would 1) be willing/able to travel to for interviews and 2) would actually go if accepted. Actually sit down and think about what you would do if you were accepted to every school. As a (common) example, dont apply to the island schools just because of their reputation for being "easier" to get into; actually consider what it would mean to move to an island nation and those pros and cons.

Every year, a portion of students gain an acceptance and a subsequent level of stress of actually realizing they will have to move to said place. If the coasts, midwest, cold, hot, rural, big city, whatever difference from where you live that may actually be a challenge for you would be, don't apply to those schools. Don't waste your money/time.

11. Changing residency status by moving states: triple check the rules and get the exact requirements in writing from the university. Not the CVM or SVM. From the actual department at the university that controls residency status. The vet school doesn't determine that at all. Assume the worst: you would have to move a year prior to the *submission* of your application. Cause then, if you in fact don't have to be there until a year before *matriculation*, you're covered.

You can assume someone has moved to such-and-such state to change residency. It just makes sense with how many people apply and attend vet school. Whether or not they're on SDN is hit or miss because there are really probably <100 active members on with probably 50% changing out year over year as people move on. So assume it's possible, it's been done, and, most importantly, *do the research yourself to find out the rules*. Every state is different and rules can change yearly due to state legislation.

Added May 26:

12. No one single minutiae detail is likely to tank your application with exception of potentially legality aspects or an obvious (to the application committee) "red flag" . One C, or even one F, will likely not be the death knell of your application if you're overall well rounded. Only 15 hours of cow experience will not get you tossed in the garbage can.

Focusing on these minutiae outside of the context of your overall application is not good for your mental health. If you have the thought of "Will X thing hurt my chances?" take a minute to consider the literally over 100,000 veterinarians practicing right now and think of the chances that some of them may have had a similar experience. If the answer is, "I guess this circumstance isn't all that unique to me," then chances are that thing won't tank your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 users
Does anyone know how schools (or just particular schools) are doing last 36/45 GPA when Spring 2020 was P/F or S/N?
This will probably be school dependent and I recommend checking with the schools you're applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
6. GPA cut offs are a thing. If you submit below a published GPA cut off, you just made a donation to the school.

I'll emphasize that these cut offs are HARD cut offs, and schools will not round. If a cut off is 3.0, and you have a 2.98, you will not make the cut off.

These app fees are expensive - make sure your application fees count!!

Reactions: 12 users
I haven't seen a threat for this cycle yet, so I figured I'd start one! 3rd time starting the application, but my first time applying! Super excited but nervous.

I have this burning question in my mind, and I haven't seen any answers on here or school websites. Does anyone know how schools (or just particular schools) are doing last 36/45 GPA when Spring 2020 was P/F or S/N? I've never submit my application, so I'm not sure how all of that goes.
I agree that you should check with each school. The way VMCAS handles it is they completely take it out of your GPA if it is P/F. Therefore, if all of Spring 2020 was P/F then the last 45 would ignore that whole semester and go further back. I went to medical school (prior to applying to vet school) and the whole program was on a different grading scale. All of medical school was skipped and my last 45 went back to undergrad. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
To add on to the advice, read through the school’s you are applying to’s websites thoroughly. For example, I applied to a school that required Public speaking (or something of the sort) but in their FAQs they wrote that if you have a bachelors you automatically fulfill the requirement. Another example is some schools have posted hard cutoffs on GPAs (usually ~3.0) but during their admissions process they create another cutoff based on the GPA’s from the applications they received (you wouldn’t know prior to applying). Thus, understanding each school’s admissions process can allow you to better optimize and better weigh where you should apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Is there is a preference for writing in complete sentences when describing your experiences?

As a companion piece to @battie's always excellent Obligatory Unsolicited Advice (™?), below is a collection of various resources for applicants that might be useful, a few of which are explicitly mentioned in her earlier post.

As a quick caution, just know that, uh... a few of these may not be 100% up-to-date, particularly with the constantly evolving nature of the pandemic. I would definitely recommend that you cross reference the official admissions websites for any schools you're planning to apply to, but this should at least offer you a starting point. AAVMC is especially slow to update their materials, unfortunately, but I'll be pruning and editing this list as new versions of their documents are made available.

https://docs.google.com/.../1MZ0EjyIzs.../edit... - Factors When Picking a Vet School Google Doc

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/.../hey-does-anyone.../ - "Hey, Does Anyone Know What Schools..." - A List of Lists SDN thread

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/.../what-are-my-chances.../ - SDN Pre-Vet What Are My Chances? subforum, where you can post your stats and have other pre-vets, current vet students, and vets evaluate your chances at specific schools you're planning to apply to

https://www.aavmc.org/about-aavmc/public-data/ - AAVMC Public Data

https://www.aavmc.org/.../updates_cvm_admissions_policies... - AAVMC's chart of changes in admissions policies and procedures in light of the COVID-19 pandemic (supposedly the most recent version of the document, but it hasn't been updated since late 2020, so again I highly suggest using both this and the official school admissions websites in tandem)

https://www.aavmc.org/.../admitted-student-statistics/ - A one-stop tool for finding the average stats of AVMA-accredited vet schools; of course, it's always a good idea to check the individual school websites for more up-to-date and accurate information

https://applytovetschool.org - AAVMC VMSAR Directory

https://www.aavmc.org/.../what-to-know.../pre-vet-faqs/ - AAVMC Pre-Vet FAQs (most of these are honestly pretty basic, but could still be helpful)

https://www.vin.com/studentdebtcenter/default.aspx... - VIN Cost of Education Map

https://www.vin.com/studentdebtcenter/default.aspx... - VIN Student Loan Repayment Simulator; this tool allows you to play with different repayment plans, salary levels, family sizes, and more

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Is there is a preference for writing in complete sentences when describing your experiences?
Not really. This gets asked and discussed every cycle, but there generally doesn't seem to be a preference between bullet point style or narrative style (ie. "complete sentences"). I personally chose the latter approach when I applied, but many people have also been successful with the former. What's honestly probably far more important is simply staying consistent with whichever method you choose.

I haven't seen a thread yet listing people willing to read over personal statements this year, but if anyone would like someone to read over theirs, I'd be more than happy to!

I haven't seen a thread yet listing people willing to read over personal statements this year, but if anyone would like someone to read over theirs, I'd be more than happy to!
I totally hadn't even noticed that a thread hadn't been started for this cycle yet. Good catch!

8. You need to submit a transcript from every higher education institution you attended. Community college while also in high school? Add to VMCAS and submit. Junior college 3 years ago before a gap year? Submit. 7 colleges cause you had to move a bunch? Submit.

Does anyone know if VMCAs will find schools you haven't submitted a transcript for and make you add them? I just discovered that I have 3 quarter credits for a single ceramics class at a community college I took 10 years ago... hoping I won't have to order and submit a transcript just for that.

Does anyone know if VMCAs will find schools you haven't submitted a transcript for and make you add them? I just discovered that I have 3 quarter credits for a single ceramics class at a community college I took 10 years ago... hoping I won't have to order and submit a transcript just for that.
I have heard about times where people were disqualified for forgetting to submit a transcript like that. You must submit all college level transcripts regardless of how long ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
@thankdog Interesting - thank you! I honestly had no recollection that it was a for-credit class and definitely would have forgotten about it if I hadn't been looking into taking additional classes with the community college this year. :censored:

They cross match your information to databases to confirm your classes/schools. So they would find it, but not necessarily give you the opportunity to fix it depending on when the mistake is found. You would absolutely be rejected due to incomplete application.

I was told by a Cornell Admissions director to ensure you include ALL transcripts or schools will automatically reject you. It’s definitely worth more research as it would be a shame for your application to be thrown out over a ceramics class

I'll emphasize that these cut offs are HARD cut offs, and schools will not round. If a cut off is 3.0, and you have a 2.98, you will not make the cut off.

These app fees are expensive - make sure your application fees count!!
Also, I recommend calculating your GPA for each school’s requirements. For example, Michigan calculated my science GPA much much lower than other schools, so double check how your gpa matches up at each program to avoid surprises!

my own piece of unsolicited advice won't apply to everyone, but as i sit here sipping tea and staring at news outlets for the hundredth time wondering what certain things mean for my family, among other health things -- i think i maybe ought to mention it.

as you consider schools, if you are close with your family etc, have difficult conversations with them while you're making that school list. like, emergency planning. figure out expectations on your role should something bad or urgent happen. like if someone gets hurt, or sick, or need to evacuate. look at the family medical leave act and policies outlined by the individual schools you are considering. figure out where you want to be if something happens. hopefully nothing bad will happen, but if it does, you'll have a plan.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hey, all! I'm not getting too much help from the videos, live chat, or help site from VMCAS. I have taken courses like microbiology, physiology, genetics etc. and on my transcript the course titles are listed as "Biol 400" or "Biol 562" even though they are more specific courses like physio, micro, etc.

Anyways, I'm entering the course titles and course descriptions exactly as they appear on my transcript. However, should the "subject" be general and I just list it as "Biology" or should I list the subject for each course more specifically and put "Microbiology" and "Physiology" etc.

I feel like since the course titles have "BIOL" in them, I should just put the subject biology because that is broad and technically correct. Will the course titles be enough to show that those are the more specific pre reqs? Does it even really matter?

This process is so confusing. Thanks for any help.

Hey, all! I'm not getting too much help from the videos, live chat, or help site from VMCAS. I have taken courses like microbiology, physiology, genetics etc. and on my transcript the course titles are listed as "Biol 400" or "Biol 562" even though they are more specific courses like physio, micro, etc.

Anyways, I'm entering the course titles and course descriptions exactly as they appear on my transcript. However, should the "subject" be general and I just list it as "Biology" or should I list the subject for each course more specifically and put "Microbiology" and "Physiology" etc.

I feel like since the course titles have "BIOL" in them, I should just put the subject biology because that is broad and technically correct. Will the course titles be enough to show that those are the more specific pre reqs? Does it even really matter?

hey so it's been a couple years now, but i personally went more specific with the subject after chatting with them about this stuff on the phone.

that said, things change and i think it's important to give them a call if you haven't yet and talk with a human that works there about things that could impact the validity of your application.

On my application I had used the more broad category of “Biology” as the subject for those classes you mentioned. I believe I used whatever department the class was listed under at my university. So for example, Calculus = “Mathematics”, French = “Foreign Languages”, Asian studies = “Humanities”, that kind of thing.

But like you said, just make sure the course prefix and course title are exactly as listed in your transcript.

I don't think it would really matter since they would look at the course title, but I personally made it as specific as possible. For example, for calculus, which was MATH 166 for me, I put the subject as "calculus." I didn't have any issues doing it this way: VMCAS accepted it, and I was accepted to UIUC.

Best of luck! The application is definitely extensive and VERY easy to overthink.

Reactions: 4 users
Obligatory unsolicited advice post that is necessary every year.

1. Consider yourself rejected until you receive an acceptance. As such, do not stop working on your application after you hit submit. Continue to gain hours, improve or maintain those grades, and do everything you would do before turning it in.

Addendum: it is an urban myth most veterinary students take multiple cycles for acceptance. The AAVMC reports that approximately 65-70% of incoming first year veterinary students are first time applicants. Make your application count.

2. You don't have to turn in your app right meow. There is no advantage to turning your application in early for the vast majority of schools. So turn it in when its ready.

3. Updates are school dependent. So ask them.

4. Personal pets are worth limited hours (school dependent). Be realistic about how many hours you assign for pet ownership.

5. Prerequisites are prerequisites. If a school doesn't require it, don't feel you have to take it. If a school does require, 99% of people will need to take it at 99% of schools. The majority of schools will not forgive/replace a prerequisite for the majority of applicants. The only way you'll know is if you email schools about your specific situation.

Addendum: do not be surprised if you're rejected from a school due to prerequisites not being met if you haven't taken it and have not listed it as planned. How do the schools know you'll have it done otherwise?

7. There will be radio silence for extended periods of time. Mentally prepare yourself to not hear from anyone for months at a time.

Addendum: this is a serious point. You will not get updates willy nilly. There are thousands of you and only dozens of admissions committee members per school. Check old threads for basic timelines.

Added 2/8/22:
9. Provisional accreditation doesn't matter for the baby schools. As long as you pass the NAVLE and graduate, the AVMA will recognize your degree and you'll be a veterinarian. Deficient accreditation in the older schools also doesn't really matter. Every school has lapsed in some sort of accreditation standard at some point. They get x amount of time to resolve it and the resolution generally only benefits students.

Added 2/24/2022
10. Only apply to schools where yoy would 1) be willing/able to travel to for interviews and 2) would actually go if accepted. Actually sit down and think about what you would do if you were accepted to every school. As a (common) example, dont apply to the island schools just because of their reputation for being "easier" to get into; actually consider what it would mean to move to an island nation and those pros and cons.

Every year, a portion of students gain an acceptance and a subsequent level of stress of actually realizing they will have to move to said place. If the coasts, midwest, cold, hot, rural, big city, whatever difference from where you live that may actually be a challenge for you would be, don't apply to those schools. Don't waste your money/time.

11. Changing residency status by moving states: triple check the rules and get the exact requirements in writing from the university. Not the CVM or SVM. From the actual department at the university that controls residency status. The vet school doesn't determine that at all. Assume the worst: you would have to move a year prior to the *submission* of your application. Cause then, if you in fact don't have to be there until a year before *matriculation*, you're covered.

You can assume someone has moved to such-and-such state to change residency. It just makes sense with how many people apply and attend vet school. Whether or not they're on SDN is hit or miss because there are really probably <100 active members on with probably 50% changing out year over year as people move on. So assume it's possible, it's been done, and, most importantly, *do the research yourself to find out the rules*. Every state is different and rules can change yearly due to state legislation.
Okay, this might seem like a silly question, but on the part of the VMCAS where we officially upload our transcripts, when should we do that? My undergrad is on a quarter system and the quarter that ends before submission ends in June so should I wait to add this quarter to it or go ahead and order? Also, if I haven't completed all the required courses yet, do I just add that where we manually enter our transcripts?

Okay, this might seem like a silly question, but on the part of the VMCAS where we officially upload our transcripts, when should we do that? My undergrad is on a quarter system and the quarter that ends before submission ends in June so should I wait to add this quarter to it or go ahead and order? Also, if I haven't completed all the required courses yet, do I just add that where we manually enter our transcripts?

on the part of the VMCAS where we officially upload our transcripts, when should we do that? My undergrad is on a quarter system and the quarter that ends before submission ends in June so should I wait to add this quarter to it or go ahead and order?
Wait and order it after the quarter is officially over so those grades can be included in your GPA and you don't have to reorder transcripts at the end of summer.
Also, if I haven't completed all the required courses yet, do I just add that where we manually enter our transcripts?
You add those as "planned courses" when you manually enter your courses.

I haven’t seen anyone on here talking about personal statements or supplemental essays for programs. I’m having trouble with all of these questions so I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread where we can talk about them!
How is everyone doing with all these essays?

I haven’t seen anyone on here talking about personal statements or supplemental essays for programs. I’m having trouble with all of these questions so I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread where we can talk about them!

It's a bit daunting but I've been chipping away at them these past few weeks.
I found it helpful to consolidate similar questions (describe a challenge, how have you demonstrated inclusivity, etc.) and just sit down and brainstorm several moments/experiences that exemplify what the prompt is looking for before trying to put together a draft. Then I think more deeply about which examples show multiple positive traits/skills and also which allow for reflection on my actions and "what I learned" - ie. which I can expand on easily.
The best advice I received was not to worry about the specific "challenge" or "example" you choose, but focus on what you can demonstrate with it. Also, have a lot of people read them! Even when you're still in drafting stages, others will be able to provide the perspective of a reader and help you figure out what is most compelling or requires more emphasis in your essays.

I agree with @Cami194 . A lot of the critiques I've been getting from people that have read my essays are that although they show the schools who I am, they don't really explain why they should pick me (i.e. why I'm competitive).

I will also say, it's been helpful to me to have people who know me in different lights read my stuff so that I get varied perspective. For example, I had my research supervisor read one of my letters and although she said it sounded great (she has seen my academic writing), a vet at my practice said it didn't sound much like me and it came off very "research report" like. If I had just gone with my supervisor's advice I probably would have ended up with a potentially dry personal statement😅

But yeah, these essays are horrifying and I wish they would just go away.

y'all, don't be afraid to get creative in your writing as well. in addition to yes, showing them reasons to pick you, your writing is a chance to make you stand out. i wrote one of my essays about wanting to be indiana jones when i grew up, and another about surfing. many essays will be out there saying similar things. try to give a voice to what makes you unique where you can.

I have had some people tell me to write more about myself and others tell me to write more about why I'm competitive. I think you should do a mix of both! I think a lot of schools probably want more of one or the other, but you can't please everyone. With that being said, talk about something that makes you genuinely unique and avoid cliches.

I'm a first time applicant, so take what I say with a grain of salt! However, I'm writing my personal statement about being homeless and having to find a job FAST. Then, I fell in love with vet med.

This may be a silly question, but if I am a second cycle applicant, do I need to re-order my transcripts, or will they be there from the year prior if I downloaded the application for this cycle?

This may be a silly question, but if I am a second cycle applicant, do I need to re-order my transcripts, or will they be there from the year prior if I downloaded the application for this cycle?
VMCAS will still have the transcript sent from last cycle unless you’ve taken more classes since then.

It's a bit daunting but I've been chipping away at them these past few weeks.
I found it helpful to consolidate similar questions (describe a challenge, how have you demonstrated inclusivity, etc.) and just sit down and brainstorm several moments/experiences that exemplify what the prompt is looking for before trying to put together a draft. Then I think more deeply about which examples show multiple positive traits/skills and also which allow for reflection on my actions and "what I learned" - ie. which I can expand on easily.
The best advice I received was not to worry about the specific "challenge" or "example" you choose, but focus on what you can demonstrate with it. Also, have a lot of people read them! Even when you're still in drafting stages, others will be able to provide the perspective of a reader and help you figure out what is most compelling or requires more emphasis in your essays.
So if 3 different schools all have a question that states something along the lines of “describe a challenging moment and how you overcame it”, would it be bad to use the same example for each, but just changing up the wording a little?

So if 3 different schools all have a question that states something along the lines of “describe a challenging moment and how you overcame it”, would it be bad to use the same example for each, but just changing up the wording a little?
I used the same exact essay as long as the prompt was answered. Work smarter, not harder.

Reactions: 5 users
how would one categorize presenting research at a virtual event/conference? Would it be under achievements? If so the only options is to classify it as honors, awards, or scholarship. Thanks!

how would one categorize presenting research at a virtual event/conference? Would it be under achievements? If so the only options is to classify it as honors, awards, or scholarship. Thanks!
If I remember correctly (it's been a while) I'm pretty sure I just included presentations within the description section when I entered my research experiences

I've been thinking of experiences to write about in my supplementary essays. How do you guys think writing about a time I helped a vet rehab an injured fawn would be interpreted? I think (legally?) we probably should NOT have been doing that since it was not at an actual rehab center and the vet should have called the closest wildlife rescue but it was an experience that I think might help me stand out if I wrote on it. Should I just avoid it all together?

I've been thinking of experiences to write about in my supplementary essays. How do you guys think writing about a time I helped a vet rehab an injured fawn would be interpreted? I think (legally?) we probably should NOT have been doing that since it was not at an actual rehab center and the vet should have called the closest wildlife rescue but it was an experience that I think might help me stand out if I wrote on it. Should I just avoid it all together?
The biggest downside is that this is not a universal experience to you. There are likely going to be hundreds (maybe even over a thousand) applicants that will describe how saving life of x animal changed their life for y reason.

The biggest downside is that this is not a universal experience to you. There are likely going to be hundreds (maybe even over a thousand) applicants that will describe how saving life of x animal changed their life for y reason.
While I believe it may not be the most unique experience in terms of other applicants I think if was a unique and meaningful experience for you then you should absolutely write about it! I wrote about a case that changed my perspective on the industry and how it finally made me realize the part I wanted to play in it. I don’t think it would be frowned upon to write about something that had such an impact even if you think it may not have been the way it was supposed to be handled. I am by no means an expert though since I was just accepted but those are my thoughts in case that helps you make a decision.

Are the descriptions for the VMCAS experiences section supposed to be paragraph format with complete sentences? Or bullet points like a resume? I keep going back and forth with mine because I've been hearing different things from different people. My uni advisor told me complete sentences only, but other people said bullets to save space. Any past applicants have any advice on this?

Are the descriptions for the VMCAS experiences section supposed to be paragraph format with complete sentences? Or bullet points like a resume? I keep going back and forth with mine because I've been hearing different things from different people. My uni advisor told me complete sentences only, but other people said bullets to save space. Any past applicants have any advice on this?
It’s whatever you prefer, I would just keep it consistent throughout! I used descriptions pretty much copy-pasted from my resume, then added a full sentence on the soft skills I learned at this experience. So mine would look something like “Did x, y, and z. Observed abc. I learned how to work as part of a team under pressure.” I liked including a line about soft skills because it doesn’t really matter if you’ve drawn blood or run fecals before vet school, but I think it’s important to emphasize that you can work well with other people.

Would this be the same as an oral presentation of a case study you wrote at a in person conference (Therio)?

Sooo I submitted my 1st ever VMCAS application (yay!), but I made a mistake...

For one of my achievements, I meant to list the different subjects/years I earned them. This was a reward for the highest GPA in every class at my HS. I received the award every year and put a description to the effect of "Rewarded to student with the highest GPA in a class. Subjects and years I earned this award were:" and I put nothing! I was supposed to go back and double-check what my subjects and years were but completely forgot. What should I do?

For one of my achievements, I meant to list the different subjects/years I earned them. This was a reward for the highest GPA in every class at my HS. I received the award every year and put a description to the effect of "Rewarded to student with the highest GPA in a class. Subjects and years I earned this award were:" and I put nothing! I was supposed to go back and double-check what my subjects and years were but completely forgot. What should I do?
You should be able to edit your application up until the due date! I bet you can go back and add it then save your changes and it would be perfectly fine!

Congrats on submitting!! I'm trying to muster the courage myself.
I wonder if it's ok to add the Achievement again with the full correct info and maybe a note that you were unable to edit the previous entry?

I am seeing a lot of applicants stating they have submitted their applications or that they know their chances of getting in are lower because they won't be submitting their app until late August.

I planned on finishing up by the second week of August, allowing 1 month for VMCAS verification. Is this too late? I thought there was no benefit of submitting before the deadline

I'm applying to 10 schools, there is no way I can finish these supps in the next week or two *cue dramatic crying*

Don’t panic. Are you sure you’re looking at vet med threads and not human med?

I did not submit until around 9/1 or so both cycles. There is no real benefit to submitting early. There may be 1 or 2 schools (maybe ross and SGU? Since they have more of rolling admissions in general??? *maybe* Midwestern too but I’m not sure if they still do that or even if I’m remembering the correct school that did it previously?) that will even LOOK at apps before the deadline.
The only benefit of submitting before the deadline is allowing for extra time for verification in case anything comes back wonky you have time to fix it. Even with submitting very close to the deadline I’m pretty sure my app was still verified before the deadline.

Take your time, make your app as good as you possibly can. This is not medical school apps where you actually do benefit from applying early. For med school you get secondary apps once you apply and they will look at apps sooner as they come in. So for med school it’s beneficial since I believe you would be in more “rounds” of app review for interview invites. Vet med is not like that at all and there is NO real benefit to applying early.

Reactions: 8 users
Don’t panic. Are you sure you’re looking at vet med threads and not human med?

I did not submit until around 9/1 or so both cycles. There is no real benefit to submitting early. There may be 1 or 2 schools (maybe ross and SGU? Since they have more of rolling admissions in general??? *maybe* Midwestern too but I’m not sure if they still do that or even if I’m remembering the correct school that did it previously?) that will even LOOK at apps before the deadline.
The only benefit of submitting before the deadline is allowing for extra time for verification in case anything comes back wonky you have time to fix it. Even with submitting very close to the deadline I’m pretty sure my app was still verified before the deadline.

Take your time, make your app as good as you possibly can. This is not medical school apps where you actually do benefit from applying early. For med school you get secondary apps once you apply and they will look at apps sooner as they come in. So for med school it’s beneficial since I believe you would be in more “rounds” of app review for interview invites. Vet med is not like that at all and there is NO real benefit to applying early.
I thought so too! I’m definitely looking at vet med and also hearing from some friends.

Thanks for the advice. :) I will calm down!

The “blank c/o 2027” threads were also scaring me because I’m like — dang. How have y’all already submitted? Lol

I thought so too! I’m definitely looking at vet med and also hearing from some friends.

Thanks for the advice. :) I will calm down!

The “blank c/o 2027” threads were also scaring me because I’m like — dang. How have y’all already submitted? Lol
Because some people are insane 😂
Definitely no reason to worry at all! People will be submitting it at 11:50 pm on 9/15 and will still end up fine (even though that is very stressful and they def should have submitted a minimum of a couple hours earlier just to avoid any tech issues 10 minutes prior to close that vmcas basically can say “so sad too bad” if **** happens (if it does and someone is reading this that night pls contact them RIGHT THEN so it’s at least on record but there are still no guarantees)

Reactions: 3 users