Voided MCAT and exhausted resources. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverboat gambler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I studied all summer for this MCAT, took it and voided it like a boss. I signed up for a January test date so until then, I need to know what is the best way to study.... I've already done all the AAMC question packs to the point that I recognize the answer without reading the question, I've taken the sample test, and done the official guide questions ad nauseam.
I extended my online Kaplan course but TBH, I am sick of Kaplan practice exams - they are not representative of the real deal and the logic behind their explanations (esp. CARS) is something that I simply could not adopt. On kaplan, my scores fluctuate from a 495-505 without any change in knowledge on my part....

On the AAMC sample test, I got a 79% total (63% chem/phys, 83% CARS, 81% Bio, 88% psych)...everyone on this forum told me not to void..but I hate gambling with my future, and after the MCAT I thought I would be lucky to even crack a 500 on it (and I'm aiming for 512+). So the truth is I really can't diagnose my weakness on this test...is it comprehension, content? Some things in physics really confuse me, but I think thats a fixable problem and its too early to fix it...because I'll just forget it again by December and I think I'll literally throw up if I study it every week for the next 3 months.

On the MCAT, I felt like I got destroyed, especially in Chem/Physics. I felt I lacked content knowledge and compregension, but the sad part is that I started studying the books again today and I realized that I truly did know more than I thought before the MCAT...and now I've forgotten a lot of it after a month lol. Yet I'm reluctant to start memorizing equations, facts, and information this early as I think I could recall all the information I knew if I was given 2 full weeks of studying before the MCAT....It's kinda nauseating to repeat the same information for the next 3 months when I have been for the last 3. What do you think?

I just do not know what to do to get prepared now, especially now that school started again and I'm busy. Any suggestions? What type of Content review would you recommend, or do you recommend getting practice tests from another company?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Holy you are putting wayyyy more time than necessary into this. Screw Kaplan, just take a break or you're going to go crazy, and start re-studying content in a month or so

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Two things:
voided it like a boss
If you voided, you didn't "accomplish" anything.

everyone on this forum told me not to void
Either "everyone" was wrong, or you are right. If you come to these forums getting advice from multiple people who probably know better than you (not saying I do), I personally, would probably take their advice. The MCAT, in it's core, is a hazing exam that is used to weed out all of the people who think they can hack med school and cannot. Impressions can totally be off sometimes. I recently did my first try (9/23) and had no idea where I would of placed (ended up with a 504), my lowest score was 125 on CARS which funny enough, thought I annihilated, and a 126 on C/P and BS which I thought I bombed.

My advice is to well, take the advice the more experienced users give out. Put an honest effort for this next exam, and commit. Often, particularly in Med School or just in life in gerneral, you will fail, you will lose patients, but the important thing is to learn from them. After 3 months of studying, you should be confident enough to stand by your exams. It's not a good approach or mentality to have when looking at important exams you would have to take (Boards, USMILE, etc). The MCAT isn't fun, and studying for it is all the worse if you are going to approach it as a nauseating torture to get over. Try to get excited about it. It's probably the biggest hurdle, and once you jump over it, you are almost there. We are all/have been on the same boat, and take advantage of this great site! They can help only as much as you are willing to let em!

The biggest mistake I made was to not simulate Test conditions enough. Fatigue was a big issue for me, particularly in CARS.

Reactions: 1 user
I think what you did was the right thing. There is a difference between not being sure of how you did vs. knowing you bombed it. If you need more practice, try EK, TPR or TBR. I recommend TBR because after every chapter, they give you passage based questions which you could use as a general practice and content refresher. As for FL tests, check the AAMC and see if they're going to release a second test anytime before January. I know TBR and EK both provide FL tests, so you could use that for practice.
I agree with @HFlash last point; Simulate test condition, even test time. If your test is at 8 am, wake up and do the practice test AT 8 am.

Reactions: 1 users