volunteering as a non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a question about volunteering.
Did you worry that people will find it weird that your volunteering in your late 20's/30's? Will I be a big stand out/will it bother other people? I imagine it is mostly younger/high school/18-22 year olds that volunteer?

Members don't see this ad.

No one ever thought it was weird when I volunteered...I was never asked about my age (31 now).

Hi
Did you worry that people will find it weird that your volunteering in your late 20's/30's? Will I be a big stand out/will it bother other people? I imagine it is mostly younger/high school/18-22 year olds that volunteer?
Lol, actually most of the volunteers are retirees at the hospital. So yeah, it will be weird. You will be way younger.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with all of the above. Most of the volunteers at the hospital I currently volunteer at are retirees! They are grateful for anybody! So find a position you will enjoy and get a lot out of, and jump right in.

Hi
I mostly volunteer as an EMT, so it is cool there. On hospital events it does get weird because I'm like a big guy in my early 20s surrounded by high school kids lol.

I'm about to take an early lunch from work to attend an interview for a volunteer position in the ER at a local hospital and I'm turning 30 in a few weeks but I don't think it's weird:D

I am 35 and volunteer in an ER. I think the other volunteers found it weird at first, but it has worked out really well and it's the high point of my week. It's really all in how you present yourself and your attitude .

@UMnNontrad is the UMn in your name University of Minnesota? I'm non-trad taking classes at UMN Twin Cities...would be cool if someone else were in the same boat!

I saw a lady, who must of been around 40 yrs of age, who volunteered in the same hospital as I did.

I mean honestly yeah it's a little weird but people do it. Just focus on what you need to do to get into med school and don't sweat the small stuff. You won't be a typical volunteer (most are young pre-meds are retirees) but in a way that makes you more interesting to the staff/doctors and everyone is super nice--just don't act like a know it all because you're older/may have been a top dog in some other field. I volunteed at a clinic and in the ER between 33-35 years old with a bunch of 20 year olds while hugely pregnant. So there--I'm pretty sure that's as awkward as it gets :)

We have a volunteer EMT who's 63. Does he stand out? Maybe. Does he act like it? Nope.

It's all in the attitude, I believe!

My fellow ER volunteer at the VA is turning 90 this year.. WWII vet. One of the best guys I know. Being a bit older helped me connect to patients as we were able to talk about life experiences.

The only time it crossed my mind that it was odd to be "older" volunteering was during the orientation where I noticed that many of the folks sitting around me were standard age undergrads Once in the hospital, working with the nurses, doctors, patients, etc. it doesn't stand out to me as much. Maybe some of them think it's odd that a woman in her late 30s is volunteering, but oh well - I love it! I do get asked why I'm doing it. For now, I'm still hesitant to make bold statements till I have anything to back it up, so I usually go with, "mid-life crisis, exploring options, break from the kids, enjoy giving back"

I agree that my age and experience likely makes it easier to connect with different patients. Perhaps younger folks can do this easily as well - I suppose it all depends on your personality.

I volunteered in my late 20s. All the other volunteers were in their 70s.

Hi
I'm an MD/PhD academic attending in my 40s. I have volunteered regularly for the past 25+ years; currently I volunteer at multiple venues, including the Humane Society, a free clinic, with SDN, and for my university. With all due respect, if you, or anyone else, finds that "weird," maybe the real problem is that too many people think there is not any need for those of who have "made it" to give back to our society. :eyebrow:

Reactions: 1 users
Not at all. The cool thing about volunteering/working at the hospital is there are so many different people, especially in terms of age. Many volunteers are retirees and in fact I know of several in their 30s and 40s so it's not that big of a deal. Things only got weird when I showed up to interview day and I was easily the oldest person there. On the other hand, I like being older. For the record I'm 32 and starting Med School this August.

Hi

Nope. I currently volunteer at my local homeless shelter for one of their programs. Everyone, including myself (30 currently), is 22 or over. The biggest flakes in this program were all under the age of 22. They were gone in less than 2 weeks.