Wait or Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLLvet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am new to the forum (please go easy on me!), but have been reading it for the past couple of months as the application season has gotten underway.

I am currently a junior at the University of Florida, but I was thinking of applying early this year just to UF. I currently have a 3.69 overall gpa, 3.53 science gpa, and a 3.63 last 45 hour gpa. I took the GRE and got a 760Q, 550V, and 5.0W. I have worked for a vet for 2 years (about 1100 hours), and already have had 3 people (2 vets and 1 professor) turn in eLOR's. My question is: since I am a junior and will not have my BS if I got into vet school, with my current stats, will I be competitive or not? I know it is a personal decision, but do you think that I have a shot, or should I just stick it out, finish my BS, and wait until next year to apply?

I looked at the successful applicant thread, but really did not find an answer to my question because there really was nobody who posted that got into UF. Thanks to all who respond!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really see what you've got to lose by applying this year (especially since you seem to have pretty much everything under your belt (particularly those eLORs, which can be hard to get last minute!). As long as you have (or can put together in the next few weeks) a good personal statement, I don't see what you've got to lose. Worst case scenario, you get rejected, finish your BS and reapply.

I say go for it! :thumbup:

Agreed! Go ahead and give it a shot. We have a few people in my class that got in and their BS was awarded after completing the first year of vet school. I don't know if UF has a program like that, but since you have all your ducks in a row, give it a shot! Worse case scenario, you finish up your BS and get some valuable feedback on your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
The vet who I used to work for did exactly that at UF in 2000. She was initially rejected, though, and worked at the vet teaching hospital and registered for undergrad classes then they notified her 2 days before classes started that she was offered a spot because of someone dropping out. :laugh:

But she was awarded a BS degree after her first year of vet school, too. I say go for it!

Wow, our stats are eerily similar! Even though we are competition as Florida is my in-state school ;), I say apply based on the general statistics of the last class! In my humble opinion, I think you've got a great shot.

Last edited:
When you've decided what you want to do with your life, start doing it as soon as you can. Good luck!

I say apply, but only to Florida if that is where you really want to go. Then you avoid the situation of turning down an acceptance somewhere else.

I am curious, is it common for vet schools to prefer applicants that have already obtained their degree?

I am curious, is it common for vet schools to prefer applicants that have already obtained their degree?

No preference per se but if you had 2 applicants which were exactly (like that would ever happen)the same in other aspects, one had a degree, the other not, I would recommend acceptance to the one with the degree.

DEFINITELY APPLY! I was in a situation similar to yours when I first applied and even though I didn't get in the first time around because I didn't have enough vet experience I was a) not disapointed because I expected it b) thankful to have a year off from school and c) when I applied the second year I was really ready to go to school and I had had the experience of going through interviews and doing the application already so I was much more prepared than I would have been. What do you have to lose? Get used to rejection. Just do it...you won't regret it if you get in and you won't regret it if you don't.

Go for it!! You're stats are very respectable. I found it very helpful to have gone through the cycle once already. This time I knew what I needed to do.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This forum community is great!

Based off of what everyone has said and my gut feeling, I think I am going to press that submit button! I really don't have anything to lose. I was looking at the stats for UF, and I'm right there with all of them so why not! Thanks for the encouragement!

Just make sure you tell your e-LOR writers to hold onto what they wrote, because they might remember you less next year and will probably want to refer to their previous response if you have to apply again. And send thank-you notes!