Waitlist Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Congrats to you who got in! I was wondering if anyone out there knows if it is common to get a spot if you are wait listed. Could you share your experience with this. Thank-You!

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't really a way to determine this. My first application cycle I was on 4 and didn't get off a single one. Second application cycle I was on two and got off both. It's entirely dependent on if they rank, the application pool that year, how many accept their seats, etc. You can't predict it from year to year.

There isn't really a way to determine this. My first application cycle I was on 4 and didn't get off a single one. Second application cycle I was on two and got off both. It's entirely dependent on if they rank, the application pool that year, how many accept their seats, etc. You can't predict it from year to year.

i know it depends year to year, but (roughly) how many do you think have a chance on the waitlist if they do rank? top 5? 10? 20?

Members don't see this ad :)
i know it depends year to year, but (roughly) how many do you think have a chance on the waitlist if they do rank? top 5? 10? 20?

There really isn't a way to tell. It depends on how many people applied to that school, got accepted and decide to attend. Also whether or not they have an IS list vs an OOS list plays a factor. I've been #2 on a list and didn't get in.

There are some waitlist survivor threads that might give you a better idea based on school, but like previous people have said, it's really variable.

Like others have said, it really depends on the school. Some schools rank you, some don't. Some will even choose waitlisted students based on the interest of the person who has declined (say, if a small animal person declines their spot, the school chooses another small animal person from the waitlist). Some schools will rank you regardless of residency (Davis, and I think VMRCVM?) while others have 2 separate waitlists for OOS and IS residents. You can look at the Waitlist Survivors' threads, but keep in mind that only a small proportion of vet students are actually on SDN and so the list may not accurately reflect reality.

Question about being wait listed; if we do get in, is it going to be too late to apply for financial aid? Should I fill out the fafsa ahead of time just in case? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out!

Question about being wait listed; if we do get in, is it going to be too late to apply for financial aid? Should I fill out the fafsa ahead of time just in case? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out!

I'd fill out the FAFSA just in case. That being said, I didn't indicate Penn on mine when I did it before vet school because I was rejected at the time. I ended up adding Penn on it at some point in the middle of May and still got all my money and qualified for the Health Professionals Loan, etc.

Reminds me that I need to get my parent's info and submit that after exams...

Not really related to previous questions that much, but I don't want to start a new thread, especially cause this has probably been asked before.

It's been my impression based on what I've read on SDN that it's ok to accept a seat and then decline it after April 15th if you're accepted off a wait list. I accepted my only offer, but would rather go to another school that I was wait listed at. It's a ranked wait list, but I don't want to gamble with going to vet school, since I won't hear back until April 15th at the earliest. Anyways, I told someone who's been accepted, and she thought this wasn't ok and seemed kind of upset that I would do something like this. First of all, is she right? Either way, if I do get called off the wait list, what's the best way to communicate my decision to go to another school to the school whose offer I accepted previously?

Not really related to previous questions that much, but I don't want to start a new thread, especially cause this has probably been asked before.

It's been my impression based on what I've read on SDN that it's ok to accept a seat and then decline it after April 15th if you're accepted off a wait list. I accepted my only offer, but would rather go to another school that I was wait listed at. It's a ranked wait list, but I don't want to gamble with going to vet school, since I won't hear back until April 15th at the earliest. Anyways, I told someone who's been accepted, and she thought this wasn't ok and seemed kind of upset that I would do something like this. First of all, is she right? Either way, if I do get called off the wait list, what's the best way to communicate my decision to go to another school to the school whose offer I accepted previously?
It's absolutely acceptable to do this. It's not like you're holding onto spots at multiple schools (which would be shady). I'd say if you get off the waitlist, just call or email admissions at the previous school and let them know that you have decided not to attend.

Reactions: 5 users

Yes, that is 100% okay. I did the exact same thing last year - I accepted a spot at the school I wanted most out of the ones I had been accepted to (and I would have loved going there, too!), but was more interested in a school I was waitlisted at. I was taken off of that waitlist later on, accepted that spot, and immediately withdrew my first spot. That's the important part - that you contact the first school and let them know that you're not attending as soon as you know for sure.

Reactions: 1 user