#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sitting in the restroom at work. Just saw two people get accepted from the alternate list at my only school. I tried desperately not to start crying b/c I KNEW that I wouldn't be able to stop the tears once they started.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yep, that was me the other day with Rosalind Franklin!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, that was me the other day with Rosalind Franklin!

It's me daily and I don't even think there has been movement at my the schools I'm waitlisted at. This entire process is making me an emotional wreck. Sometimes crying helps me reset

Reactions: 4 users
It's me daily and I don't even think there has been movement at my the schools I'm waitlisted at. This entire process is making me an emotional wreck. Sometimes crying helps me reset
I think I'm past the "emotional wreck" stage, although I was definitely there for a long time. Of course, I will likely regress back to that stage as soon as I receive my official rejections from Illinois/Rush/Rosalind/Western Michigan. At this point I just wake up everyday and think, "Hmm...which random person on Facebook will post that they got into medical school today?" At this point, I've basically experienced all of the worst possible parts of the admissions process so nothing really surprised me anymore.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm past the "emotional wreck" stage, although I was definitely there for a long time. Of course, I will likely regress back to that stage as soon as I receive my official rejections from Illinois/Rush/Rosalind/Western Michigan. At this point I just wake up everyday and think, "Hmm...which random person on Facebook will post that they got into medical school today?" At this point, I've basically experienced all of the worst possible parts of the admissions process so nothing really surprised me anymore.

Well I know those posts all too well. I'm trying not to be the jealous person but I can't help but wonder when my time will come. Hopefully we'll get some great news of our own. I'm definitely getting a good lesson in patience from this

Reactions: 5 users
Well I know those posts all too well. I'm trying not to be the jealous person but I can't help but wonder when my time will come. Hopefully we'll get some great news of our own. I'm definitely getting a good lesson in patience from this
I'm openly extremely jealous of anyone who got into medical school this year. I hope that someday I can be in their shoes.

Reactions: 8 users
I think what gets me through everyday is mind controlling myself that I am just...
An awesome human being, really.:clap:

And so are all of you on this boat with me. Don't let nobody tell you otherwise.
We're awesome. And medschools will realize that soon enough.
Until then, chocolates and gummy bears, with real meals on the side

Reactions: 6 users
I don't know. It ran away

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 1.05.01 PM.png

I'm openly extremely jealous of anyone who got into medical school this year. I hope that someday I can be in their shoes.

True true. I guess when I say the jealous person I mean the really negative type. I think that type of stress would give me even more migraines than I already get lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My hope disappeared when I was just told my school is sending out rejection notices now.

A few weeks ago I was accepted to a post bac linkage program (automatic acceptance to the medical school if I maintain a certain GPA in their post bac program). I didn't post it because I'm on the same waitlist as you are. ......... Waiting.......hoping. .But I think I'm going to cut my loses at this point and be excited about the offer that I have. One extra year is no big deal. And at least I don't have to go through this brutal process again. I wish everyone luck , and I still hope to get off my wait list, but I'm ready to be happy again. Feeling this bad for so long can't be healthy. Good luck all!

Reactions: 18 users
Today I got into the ONE medical school I was waitlisted at. Please do not lose hope my friends. IT IS POSSIBLE!!!

Reactions: 42 users
A few weeks ago I was accepted to a post bac linkage program (automatic acceptance to the medical school if I maintain a certain GPA in their post bac program). I didn't post it because I'm on the same waitlist as you are. ......... Waiting.......hoping. .But I think I'm going to cut my loses at this point and be excited about the offer that I have. One extra year is no big deal. And at least I don't have to go through this brutal process again. I wish everyone luck , and I still hope to get off my wait list, but I'm ready to be happy again. Feeling this bad for so long can't be healthy. Good luck all!
That's awesome! Always happy to see some of the "no interview" ride-or-dies get good news.

Congrats! I'd take that offer and run lol.

How I am feeing right now....
ImageUploadedBySDN1463773497.550031.jpg

Two of the schools I talked to about my application said that I didn't get an interview there because:
  1. I didn't show interest in the school (not calling/emailing post-secondary) - I should've scoured SDN to see if my schools were receptive to that, so my bad >__>
  2. I had a strong app and bad luck
Luckily they said to email them after I submit my secondaries this cycle. Not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I'm glad I'm a strong enough candidate to reapply this coming cycle. On another hand, if I was really that decent, I'm pretty bummed I only got 1 interview out of 40 apps and I'll have to spend more money to reapply >__> I'm thinking of upping the ante and applying to 40 MD and 10 DO schools next cycle too.

Two of the schools I talked to about my application said that I didn't get an interview there because:
  1. I didn't show interest in the school (not calling/emailing post-secondary) - I should've scoured SDN to see if my schools were receptive to that, so my bad >__>
Luckily they said to email them after I submit my secondaries this cycle. Not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I'm glad I'm a strong enough candidate to reapply this coming cycle. On another hand, if I was really that decent, I'm pretty bummed I only got 1 interview out of 40 apps and I'll have to spend more money to reapply >__> I'm thinking of upping the ante and applying to 40 MD and 10 DO schools next cycle too.
I hope you get off your walitlist!! Have you been sending updates/LOI's?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm thinking of upping the ante and applying to 40 MD and 10 DO schools next cycle too.

I'm probably the only one crazy enough to say, DO IT!!

It's hard to know if you'll be one of the lucky ones that get interviews and even just one acceptance. I've heard of too many stories of submitting 30+ apps and either silence or 1 interview. Obviously, we don't know their applications, but it still makes me nervous. If you're confident and apply to a small number of schools you're "crazy" and if you're scared as heck and apply to more than 35ish you're also "crazy".

This would be so much easier if schools ONLY sent secondaries if they were truly considering you.

Again, I say for it! There will be consequences. Hopefully more good than bad.

I hope you get off your walitlist!! Have you been sending updates/LOI's?
Thanks, I do too haha. Yeah I've sent about 3 to GTown now. I haven't sent one this month yet just because I haven't had anything new to update them on since last month :x

I'm probably the only one crazy enough to say, DO IT!!

It's hard to know if you'll be one of the lucky ones that get interviews and even just one acceptance. I've heard of too many stories of submitting 30+ apps and either silence or 1 interview. Obviously, we don't know their applications, but it still makes me nervous. If you're confident and apply to a small number of schools you're "crazy" and if you're scared as heck and apply to more than 35ish you're also "crazy".

This would be so much easier if schools ONLY sent secondaries if they were truly considering you.

Again, I say for it! There will be consequences. Hopefully more good than bad.

Yeah I really wish that schools sent secondaries if they cared or at least pre-screen, which is why I'm glad the UCs at least do some kinda marginal screening. I was lucky enough to get secondaries from all of them, which is kind of confidence boosting. It'll only be 12 more potential secondaries than I did last year, so it shouldn't be too bad. Better safe than sorry. This is the last year I can probably use my old MCAT score anyway. I want to avoid the new one at all costs (literally).

Just wanted to write and say, miracles happen!!! I was on 8 waitlists and then I got three acceptance calls in the span of 24 hours (this happened a couple weeks ago but I haven't been on here to post). Have since withdrawn from the rest of my waitlists so this crazy process is finally over for me. I sincerely hope all of you still waiting hear good news soon too. You all deserve it!

Reactions: 14 users
I am seriously considering of doing the same. This upcoming cycle will be my last because I simply can't put my life on hold any longer. Knowing that I've applied to 50 schools in my last shot will let me officially die without regrets.

Last edited:
I am seriously considering of doing to same. This upcoming cycle will be my last because I simply can't put my life on hold any longer. Knowing that I've applied to 50 schools in my last shot will let me officially die without regrets.
have many times have you applied?

Sitting in the restroom at work. Just saw two people get accepted from the alternate list at my only school. I tried desperately not to start crying b/c I KNEW that I wouldn't be able to stop the tears once they started.

This has definitely happened to me--I was assisting with a committee that involves a lot of physicians. Idk if I was jealous of how easy it was for them to get into med school decades ago or if I had just reached my limit of exposure to successful medical professionals, but my eyes started to well up right there in public! I pretended there was something in my eye (original, right?) and went directly to the bathrooms. It was completely involuntary--I hadn't even been thinking about my app!
This has got to be a thing... I've been thinking about naming it: Med School Applicant Anxiety Disorder (MSAAD) characterized by spontaneous crying LOL

This has definitely happened to me--I was assisting with a committee that involves a lot of physicians. Idk if I was jealous of how easy it was for them to get into med school decades ago or if I had just reached my limit of exposure to successful medical professionals, but my eyes started to well up right there in public! I pretended there was something in my eye (original, right?) and went directly to the bathrooms. It was completely involuntary--I hadn't even been thinking about my app!
This has got to be a thing... I've been thinking about naming it: Med School Applicant Anxiety Disorder (MSAAD) characterized by spontaneous crying LOL
MSAAD - a.k.a. "The Death of Dreams"

In other news, the pen Rosalind Franklin gave me on my interview day encountered an unfortunate accident involving a hammer and fire.

Reactions: 13 users
Congrats! I consider that a medical school acceptance. Post bac programs are really competitive and those with conditional acceptances are even more so only accepting on average 15 students referred by the medical school committee. Will yours require retaking the MCAT or just maintaining a certain GPA?

Just wanted to write and say, miracles happen!!! I was on 8 waitlists and then I got three acceptance calls in the span of 24 hours (this happened a couple weeks ago but I haven't been on here to post). Have since withdrawn from the rest of my waitlists so this crazy process is finally over for me. I sincerely hope all of you still waiting hear good news soon too. You all deserve it!
Congrats!

Congrats! I consider that a medical school acceptance. Post bac programs are really competitive and those with conditional acceptances are even more so only accepting on average 15 students referred by the medical school committee. Will yours require retaking the MCAT or just maintaining a certain GPA?
No retaking of the MCAT! Thank god!

Reactions: 7 users

This made me LOL for real! I DEFINITELY have MSAAD! I couldn't help myself! I tried to fan them away. Stupid futile effort! I almost ran to the restroom! I played Angry Birds for about 20 mins!

Do I count as an object?
I'm guessing you're joking, but just in case you get THAT desperate, no you do not. However I will allow you to mash up some bananas when you get very frustrated. Mix it with cocoa powder and yogurt and you'll have yourself a very tasty snack.

Reactions: 4 users
Keep the faith people. Good things are definitely coming whether this year or in the next 2 years.

Reactions: 3 users