#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a show called "The Sound of Silence"? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's a reference to Arrested Development

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I liked "The Graduate". I haven't seen it in years though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a reference to Arrested Development
Oh, ok. I watched a few episodes of that show and thought, " these are the types of infuriatingly annoying people that I try to avoid in real life- why do I want to watch them on Tv?"

It is. I'm currently writing a sequel to Salinger's story, called "A Disastrous Year for Bananafish"

That's is my favorite short story of all time! Though slightly morbid one would say.

haha well let's not make it end the same.... Everybody loves you. It'll end with Dr. Bananafish MD

Reactions: 7 users
Oh, ok. I watched a few episodes of that show and thought, " these are the types of infuriatingly annoying people that I try to avoid in real life- why do I want to watch them on Tv?"

This is exactly why I hate Big Bang Theory.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
This is exactly why I hate Big Bang Theory.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I could actually see the Arrested Development characters existing though. The premise is slightly ridiculous and some of them (i.e. Tobias) are a bit over the top, but you actually care about them. Also, I'm 98% sure that Lucille Bluth is based entirely off my grandmother. But from what I've seen from the Big Bang Theory, the characters do not resemble anything that any person could ever be. Also, there are too many glaring plot inconsistencies throughout the show for my liking.

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 9.01.08 PM.png

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just renewed my interfolio account:(
It's official, I've finally given up.

I was dead set against applying DO. Now that I've gone through this......Its definitely a real possibility. What do you guys think about DO/PhD? I applied MD/PhD this year. We won't talk about how that went.

Ugh. I'm writing an email to my supervisor who wrote me a LOR last year to ask for a new LOR. And I nearly broke down when I typed out "I was unsuccessful in my recent medical school application." This is the first time I'm saying/typing out these words. F*CKKKKKKKKKKKK

Ugh. I'm writing an email to my supervisor who wrote me a LOR last year to ask for a new LOR. And I nearly broke down when I typed out "I was unsuccessful in my recent medical school application." This is the first time I'm saying/typing out these words. F*CKKKKKKKKKKKK

This is the LOR request (wrote one for my last time as well) I am avoiding for as long as I can. I will be emailing her and speaking to her in person.

This is the LOR request (wrote one for my last time as well) I am avoiding for as long as I can. I will be emailing her and speaking to her in person.

Me too!! I've asked her for literally like 5 references for med school apps already (incl. Canadian ones), so I'm really dreading this email. I would so hate me if I was her :bang:

So now I'm actually trying to work through the details of my application, I am thinking of applying to ~30 MD schools and 10 DO schools. I would apply to more but there's only so many schools that are semi-welcoming to Canadians. So has anyone with lower stats tried to apply to 40+ schools to see if it may counterbalance the lower stats? How did the cycle turn out for you (how many IIs/WLs/Rej/Acc)?

Last edited:
So now I'm actually trying to work through the details of my application, I am thinking of applying to ~30 MD schools and 10 DO schools. I would apply to more but there's only so many schools that are semi-welcome Canadians. So has anyone with lower stats tried to apply to 40+ schools to see if it may counterbalance the lower stats? How did the cycle turn out for you (how many IIs/WLs/Rej/Acc)?
I had a low MCAT (505) and applied to ~30. Got 2 II's, 1 post-interview rejection, 1 WL that eventually turned into an acceptance

Reactions: 7 users
Nope (I'm white if it matters). The school I'm going to doesn't really take too much focus on the MCAT though, they more care about how you match with their mission
i only sent in 15 secondaries i think. looking back i shouldve applied to double

i only sent in 15 secondaries i think. looking back i shouldve applied to double
Yeah it was expensive but I knew that if I wanted to have my best chance at getting in with my MCAT that I had to do it. I probably could've applied to less just cause I applied to some that were really dumb choices or just applied to the same amount but smarter choices

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah it was expensive but I knew that if I wanted to have my best chance at getting in with my MCAT that I had to do it. I probably could've applied to less just cause I applied to some that were really dumb choices or just applied to the same amount but smarter choices
i ended up with 5 interviews but no acceptances. im not gonna reapply this cycle because nothing really changed in my app

i ended up with 5 interviews but no acceptances. im not gonna reapply this cycle because nothing really changed in my app
5 interviews is really good! There's still hope though if you're on WLs!! My cousin actually got in the second time around not changing much about her app. But I'm sure whenever you apply again (if you don't get in off a WL) you'll come back stronger and you'll get in :)

Reactions: 4 users
Currently on 3 WL's and preparing to apply again. Not much has changed on my app (extra volunteering, more research, more shadowing), but I wasn't complete until late August- early/mid September at most schools. For me, I think being complete in July would give me the best chance of gaining admission. However, I still have a little hope for my 3 WLs! Another year of applications would be really rough on me. Lizzy M around 70.

Me too!! I've asked her for literally like 5 references for med school apps already (incl. Canadian ones), so I'm really dreading this email. I would so hate me if I was her :bang:
She won't hate you, it's part of her job. I'm only a TA and I've written dozens of letters of recommendation for students. It's not a big deal at all.

5 interviews is really good! There's still hope though if you're on WLs!! My cousin actually got in the second time around not changing much about her app. But I'm sure whenever you apply again (if you don't get in off a WL) you'll come back stronger and you'll get in :)
what state are you from?

NJ. One of my interviews was at one of my state schools (where I'm going) and the other was at an OOS private
oh i thought cooper was private not public. im from NY and had 3 suny interviews but didnt break through lol. what other school did you interview at?

She won't hate you, it's part of her job. I'm only a TA and I've written dozens of letters of recommendation for students. It's not a big deal at all.
This actually made me feel better :)

oh i thought cooper was private not public. im from NY and had 3 suny interviews but didnt break through lol. what other school did you interview at?
Cooper is public but their class is ~30% OOS. There's totally still hope though, don't give up yet! When I was on the WL they said atleast at Cooper that they accept people into July! Drexel, but they rejected me post interview

Right there with you.

2018 is our year.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

With 5 WLs I think it is extremely likely that you will get accepted this cycle. I've never heard of anyone with 5 WLs not getting into at least one of them. Just hang in there, I'm sure the both of you will get called soon.

I want to get accepted so badly!!!

Reactions: 8 users
I DREAM about my reaction IF I get that call.

The sad part is that even though getting into medical school isn't a completely ridiculous notion, I feel so far away from it at this point that it's up there with my most absurd fantasies, like becoming a billionaire or getting drafted to the Chicago Bulls.

Reactions: 3 users
With 5 WLs I think it is extremely likely that you will get accepted this cycle. I've never heard of anyone with 5 WLs not getting into at least one of them. Just hang in there, I'm sure the both of you will get called soon.
i think position is way more important than quantity of waitlists since a decent amount of people have gotten off while only being on 1 or 2 wl. also did upstate tell you anything about your position?