Walgreens, new pharmacy technician. basic questions. thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theyungmamba23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a new pharmacy technician at walgreens, and need alot of help. I am very new, have trouble with typing, filling etc. insurances and the whole nine. If you guys can please link me to other forums or answer my questions I would really apprecaite your help!! thanks everyone

How do I answer basic patient questions such as....

Hi, My name is such and such....I would like to know if my doctor has faxed over my prescription?

My doctor has put me on X MEDICATION, but I would like the generic version? >>>>what do I do here? and what should I tell the patient?

What do I do if the patient wants a refill for his/her medication but does not have the prescription #, or know the name of the med???? they just know its for blood pressure, or for rash, or a mouth wash....but i am a tech i dont know what each med does...so how do i process their refill?

What is the fastest and most effecient way to fill in the pharmacy if I am the designated filler for the day?
and do ndc mismatches hurt my score? if i scan a stock bottle and get a ndc mismatch...

What are some common incoming phone calls and how to answer them and what to say to the patient??

thanks everyone, i appreciate all your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

You need training and experience. No website can do that for you. Just ask your pharmacist when you don't know the answer, and try to remember what they say so you don't ask them the same things over and over.

Hi, I am a new pharmacy technician at walgreens, and need alot of help. I am very new, have trouble with typing, filling etc. insurances and the whole nine. If you guys can please link me to other forums or answer my questions I would really apprecaite your help!! thanks everyone

How do I answer basic patient questions such as....

Hi, My name is such and such....I would like to know if my doctor has faxed over my prescription?

My doctor has put me on X MEDICATION, but I would like the generic version? >>>>what do I do here? and what should I tell the patient?

What do I do if the patient wants a refill for his/her medication but does not have the prescription #, or know the name of the med???? they just know its for blood pressure, or for rash, or a mouth wash....but i am a tech i dont know what each med does...so how do i process their refill?

What is the fastest and most effecient way to fill in the pharmacy if I am the designated filler for the day?
and do ndc mismatches hurt my score? if i scan a stock bottle and get a ndc mismatch...

What are some common incoming phone calls and how to answer them and what to say to the patient??

thanks everyone, i appreciate all your help!!

On the job training is probably the best way. But to answer your questions...

To see if the prescription has been called in and at least typed, press f2 to enter the work queue. Type up to the first four letters of their last name, anything more than that is too specific and will require the full last name. So if jerry smith walks up and asks, type in smit. And everyone with the last name beginning with smit will pop up. Scroll down until you find jerry. If it is ready status, it is ready for pick up. If it is in entered, it has been typed, but not data reviewed or filled. If it is reviewed or printed it needs to be filled and product reviewed. If it is in filled status, it needs to be product reviewed. If you find nothing in the work queue, go into patient inquiry via f9 and type in their date of birth and pull up their file that way. This is so useful if you can't understand the spelling of their name, or if we spelled it incorrectly for some unknown reason.

Ndc mismatch doesn't hurt your score. Unless you decide to purposely fill it with the wrong manufacturer and the pharmacist rejects the prescription.

We automatically substitute a generic if it is available he less insurance mandates brand name. To check if something is generic, there are two ways. First if you are in the work queue and the script is ready, highlight that particular prescription. At the top of the screen, there is a button that says "details". Click that, then drug. On the left hand side it will say either brand or generic. The second way to do this is to go into drug inquiry via f10, type in the drug name and then but enter. It will tell you if it is rand or emetic. To see if a generic is available, close out of the detail window if you are already in drug inquiry. On the screen that you type the drug name in, there should be a button on the right that says brand/generic. Click that. If a generic is available, then a whole buch of things should pop up and will have a "g" in the column next to them. If only a brand name is available, the drug listed will he the only one there with a "b" next to it.

There is no fast way of filling. You just learn where drugs are and count fast.

Some common questions are "did my insurance pay for this?" Most of the time we have their primary insurance on file. You won't come to master theses for a very long time so don't feel flustered. If you look at the top left hand corner that will have a few letters underneath the barcode like "any or perx or paid or Cigna"that means it went through and it should say underneath the address how much the insurance saved them.

The other question is "why is it so expensive". There's little you can do. Highlight the prescription in question in the work queue and then click options, view claim info. Sometimes if they have a deductible it will tell you. Sometimes it won't say anything. Direct them to contact their insurance if they feel they are paying too much and the insurance can explain the breakdown of cost.

That's pretty much all you can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
what you can do...is get a notebook. And as you go along and learn things...write them down in your notebook. That way when you come across it again, you will have a guide to do it on your own. I use one to this day when I encounter things.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks everyone for the response, i have been having a very difficult time reading the prescriptions due to the doctors hand writing. computer system is kind of difficult to learn, calculation for days supply, creams, inuslins, etc suspensions not understanding yet. insurances. bin pcn what is all that. calop, findmpd, etc. can someone please give me more details or guides to other forums. thanks alot

i am also a new tech having a hard time reading some prescription and not understanding how to input insurance info. im confused w/anthem blue cross (in CA). last time another tech helped me, but she did it so fast, i didnt have a chance to write down anything. She put CAMED and another plan code that started with P. can someone clarify for me?

Last edited:
i am also a new tech having a hard time reading some prescription and not understanding how to input insurance info. im confused w/anthem blue cross (in CA). last time another tech helped me, but she did it so fast, i didnt have a chance to write down anything. She put CAMED and another plan code that started with N.. can someone clarify for me?

Camed sounds like California Medicaid.

Most anthem plans have an RX on the bottom right hand corner if they have prescription coverage.

NEVER. EVER GUESS. ON A DOCTOR'S HANDWRITING. Always ask another tech or the pharmacist what they think it is.

Creams? Creams and gels and ointment day supplies can be hard. Generally 7-10 days is ok since you don't know how big the area they are applying to. And plus I had someone at Medicaid yell at me and say creams should never be more than 10 days.

i am also a new tech having a hard time reading some prescription and not understanding how to input insurance info. im confused w/anthem blue cross (in CA). last time another tech helped me, but she did it so fast, i didnt have a chance to write down anything. She put CAMED and another plan code that started with N.. can someone clarify for me?

Anthem Blue Cross does provide some people in CA with medicaid, hence the tech put in CAMED as their insurance. Medicaid (called Medi-Cal in california) is underwritten by different insurance companies depending on what county the person resides in. I would ask your senior tech if you get alot of medi-cal people but it basically boils down to two different cards: 1) A state benefits card, which is underwritten by anthem blue cross or a state benefits of california card (both are entered as CAMED) and there are respective insurance drug plans that may be under each county (e.g. San Mateo county health plan, Alameda county health plan, etc)

Also, if you see Anthem Blue Cross, it is highly likely it's not under CAMED. Most likely, it's under WLPNT or PERX. From my experience, if no BIN is there, try entering WLPNT (bin 610015 i believe) with no group number. If it is PERX, usually there's a RxGRP or group number with it that you'll need to input.

Reactions: 1 user
pretty refreshing to see eager learners. I inherited a couple of techs that don't ask any questions even when they are stumped so that slows down workflow

Reactions: 1 user
Anthem Blue Cross does provide some people in CA with medicaid, hence the tech put in CAMED as their insurance. Medicaid (called Medi-Cal in california) is underwritten by different insurance companies depending on what county the person resides in. I would ask your senior tech if you get alot of medi-cal people but it basically boils down to two different cards: 1) A state benefits card, which is underwritten by anthem blue cross or a state benefits of california card (both are entered as CAMED) and there are respective insurance drug plans that may be under each county (e.g. San Mateo county health plan, Alameda county health plan, etc)

Also, if you see Anthem Blue Cross, it is highly likely it's not under CAMED. Most likely, it's under WLPNT or PERX. From my experience, if no BIN is there, try entering WLPNT (bin 610015 i believe) with no group number. If it is PERX, usually there's a RxGRP or group number with it that you'll need to input.

thanks for the reply. I also have another question...
-when a patient wants to refill a medication but the system say that the prescription is too old (past the refill before date) do i personally call or fax the doctor for a request or does the intercom + system automatically call the doctor? The senior tech told me to refill/enter the refill into the comp and the sys will contact the doctor. How do i confirm that a call was made to the doctor.

thanks for the reply. I also have another question...
-when a patient wants to refill a medication but the system say that the prescription is too old (past the refill before date) do i personally call or fax the doctor for a request or does the intercom + system automatically call the doctor? The senior tech told me to refill/enter the refill into the comp and the sys will contact the doctor. How do i confirm that a call was made to the doctor.

Your senior tech is correct, the system will contact the doc's office but two things must be true: 1) the fax number associated with the dr is updated and current and 2) the patient is a *current* patient with the doctor or is current with the office (many offices have multiple doctor's working in them). If the patient isn't current or they have outdated labs, sometimes doctor's will deny the prescription for those reasons.

So you don't need to make any calls or faxes if you did what your sr tech told you but..if a patient is angry or it's a pretty important call and you're not very busy, I'd call the office or ask another tech if you have one to call.

As for confirming..there's no real way to confirm. When the fax fails to send, the printer will spit out a copy of the fax with an error message at the top. That's the only way to confirm, otherwise, if you don't get that copy, you'd assume it's sent there. We give the office up to a day to reply on the weekedays but I would ask your senior tech cuz each store is different. Usually 1 to 2 days for a fax and then after 2 days you call the office to verify.

Hope this helps!

Your senior tech is correct, the system will contact the doc's office but two things must be true: 1) the fax number associated with the dr is updated and current and 2) the patient is a *current* patient with the doctor or is current with the office (many offices have multiple doctor's working in them). If the patient isn't current or they have outdated labs, sometimes doctor's will deny the prescription for those reasons.

So you don't need to make any calls or faxes if you did what your sr tech told you but..if a patient is angry or it's a pretty important call and you're not very busy, I'd call the office or ask another tech if you have one to call.

As for confirming..there's no real way to confirm. When the fax fails to send, the printer will spit out a copy of the fax with an error message at the top. That's the only way to confirm, otherwise, if you don't get that copy, you'd assume it's sent there. We give the office up to a day to reply on the weekedays but I would ask your senior tech cuz each store is different. Usually 1 to 2 days for a fax and then after 2 days you call the office to verify.

Hope this helps!
thanks for the clarification! I appreciate your help!

can someone please explain the training process? does the ppl come first before even starting in the pharmacy?

our pharmacy is so busy, i hardly get time to learn anything....

IF a prescription has been stored, how do i go about filling it again?

what does 1- mean or 2- mean, i am confused about this

how does a technician authorize refills?

how to update the prescriber information?

thanks!!!!

can someone please explain the training process? does the ppl come first before even starting in the pharmacy?

our pharmacy is so busy, i hardly get time to learn anything....

I did all my PPLs the weekend before I started. Most new techs do them right before or immediately after they're "due." Not sure how it works with the new PPL system, but they all have due dates. The farther out ones are for when you're going to Senior Tech stuff.

IF a prescription has been stored, how do i go about filling it again?

Patient Profile -> find the prescription they're looking for, that's "Stored" or "STRD" I think (can't remember, not at work) -> Select Rx -> Create new -> fill

what does 1- mean or 2- mean, i am confused about this

Say I'm typing and I want to enter one box of fluticasone nasal spray. I can either know that it's like 16 grams or something, or just type "1-" and the computer will know that I just want one box. Works with birth control too. Tri-nessa is 28 days, but Quasense is 84 days, so if a prescriber writes "#1 or #3" you can just do 1- or 3- while typing.

They don't, at least at my store.
I'm not sure what the law in your state is, or if it's just pharmacist preference, but techs at my store aren't allowed to add refills, when say a nurse or MD calls. That gets handed off to the pharmacist.

how to update the prescriber information?

Not sure what you mean, like changing the NPI or fax number we have?
Or you put in Christopher Smith MD when it should've been Christina Smith DO?

thanks!!!!

yes, you just need the quantity and the name of the person who allowed it. (CA)

Last edited:
I did all my PPLs the weekend before I started. Most new techs do them right before or immediately after they're "due." Not sure how it works with the new PPL system, but they all have due dates. The farther out ones are for when you're going to Senior Tech stuff.

Patient Profile -> find the prescription they're looking for, that's "Stored" or "STRD" I think (can't remember, not at work) -> Select Rx -> Create new -> fill

Say I'm typing and I want to enter one box of fluticasone nasal spray. I can either know that it's like 16 grams or something, or just type "1-" and the computer will know that I just want one box. Works with birth control too. Tri-nessa is 28 days, but Quasense is 84 days, so if a prescriber writes "#1 or #3" you can just do 1- or 3- while typing.

They don't, at least at my store.
I'm not sure what the law in your state is, or if it's just pharmacist preference, but techs at my store aren't allowed to add refills, when say a nurse or MD calls. That gets handed off to the pharmacist.

Not sure what you mean, like changing the NPI or fax number we have?
Or you put in Christopher Smith MD when it should've been Christina Smith DO?

really? techs cant add refills? what state is this if you dont mind me asking.

really? techs cant add refills? what state is this if you dont mind me asking.

It's not state law, but if a prescriber (or nurse or whatever) calls in to add refills, it either goes to the pharmacist or intern, at least at the stores I've worked in.
Techs can add refills if something comes over the fax or eScribe

It's not state law, but if a prescriber (or nurse or whatever) calls in to add refills, it either goes to the pharmacist or intern, at least at the stores I've worked in.
Techs can add refills if something comes over the fax or eScribe

at my store, we are allowed/forced to do it.

can someone explain what TAR is?

When is it ok to cash out the price. Sometimes i get a reject and either drug not covered, of says pt not eligible, recipient id doesnt match...etc do i cash it out or is there another way to solve these rejects?

Sometimes I get a reject that says prior authorization...what does that mean? contact prescribe/doctor? One of the techs taught me to just go to options-->third party--> and under the pull down bar select pharmacist review & fill as is.

Also, i updated a pt insurance (CAMED) info and some of the cashed out prices got reduced and some didn't. How come its like that? is it because some medication still doesnt cover under the insurance?

If the price for a pt med is high and they want the generic/brand (vice-versa)instead..am I allowed to switch it? Does the doctor need to be contacted?

I get confused when i have to calc day supply for eye/ear drops, mouth wash/liquids. I know 15 drops = 1 ml. for ex if there is 2.5ml and sig is to instill 2 drops into both eyes once a day until all gone... will the day supply be 9?

Sorry for all the questions. I only work 2 times a wk for a few hours... and never get a chance to ask these question. Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:
can someone explain what TAR is?
You mean a "TPR"? That means Third Party Rejection. The insurance isn't paying for it for any number of reasons. (Needs PA, Drug not covered, insurance not active, the insurance has them as a female, etc.)

When is it ok to cash out the price. Sometimes i get a reject and either drug not covered, of says pt not eligible, recipient id doesnt match...etc do i cash it out or is there another way to solve these rejects?
If it's straight up "Pt not eligible" and there's no other insurance, I usually just cash it out so it can be ready when they get there and we can bill the insurance (they have their card right, lol) at the point of checkout. Times not to cash it out would be Refill too Soon, Prior Authorization needed, ie. the insurance will pay for it, but not yet.

Sometimes I get a reject that says prior authorization...what does that mean? contact prescribe/doctor? One of the techs taught me to just go to options-->third party--> and under the pull down bar select pharmacist review & fill as is.

Prior authorizations need to be faxed to the prescribers office, wherein they fill out a form as to why Junior needs NewBrandNameX when OldGenericY hasn't been tried yet. If you go into the Exception Queue, you can select the top right "Fax" option button and fax the prescriber right there. Just select Prior Authorization from the drop down menu in the message box and it will populate the message for you. In my day, we had to look up the patients plan ID and the PA phone number and type it in ourselves. What a time to be alive.

Also, i updated a pt insurance (CAMED) info and some of the cashed out prices got reduced and some didn't. How come its like that? is it because some medication still doesnt cover under the insurance?
Not in CA, and don't really know what you mean by this.

If the price for a pt med is high and they want the generic/brand (vice-versa)instead..am I allowed to switch it? Does the doctor need to be contacted?
Unless they or the prescriber have SPECIFICALLY requested brand, it will default to the generic if there is one available. You should never have to switch to a brand unless they request it for some reason, like Synthroid or Dr. Oz said so.

I get confused when i have to calc day supply for eye/ear drops, mouth wash/liquids. I know 15 drops = 1 ml. for ex if there is 2.5ml and sig is to instill 2 drops into both eyes once a day until all gone... will the day supply be 9?

Sorry for all the questions. I only work 2 times a wk for a few hours... and never get a chance to ask these question. Any help will be appreciated!

Depends on your store, but between 15 to 20 drops per ml is reasonable. I use 18 because I read somewhere that's what Express Scripts likes and ALL HAIL EXPRESS SCRIPTS GLORY TO THEIR NAME.
In your example, using 15 drops per ml, 2.5ml x 15 = 37.5 drops, lets say 38. Two drops a day x two eyes = 4 drops a day. 38/4 = 9.5. So, 9 or 10 is reasonable.
Using my 18 drops it would be 11 days.

can someone please list the most common insurance plan ids

calop, camed, cabs, hnet and others pleasee!! thank you!!

also when patients use coupons why do they keep their coupon? i know we have to go under application, sdl etc
can som1 further elaborate on the process