WAMC 3.9/516 (23-24)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillnotjaded

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.9​
MCAT score(s) and breakdown
516 (128/130/129/129)​
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
UT state resident, Strong ties to AZ (undergrad), AR and MO (lived on the border for 2 gap years), TX (planned gap year)​
Ethnicity and/or race
ORM​
Undergraduate institution or category
Large state school​
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
550 hours Physical therapy tech​
500-700 hrs expected as a cardiology scribe (current)​
Research experience and productivity
180 hrs researching with a private Interventional Radiology clinic. Author on poster and abstract that were presented at large medical conferences​
90 hrs public health research with County health dept. during COVID (case investigator)​
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
40 hrs total between Pathology, Anesthesiology, Cardiology, Pain management, Interventional Radiology​
Non-clinical volunteering
1000+ hrs full time service with religious organization- food pantries, connecting underserved people to resources, disaster cleanup, etc​
50 hrs teaching english to refugees​
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Part of a cross-sector leadership program at my school. Will earn certificate in Cross sector leadership by graduation. Too complicated to explain here, but it is a prestigious, competitive program with limited slots, 400 total students.​
Served as the committee chair for admissions to this program​
Direct assistant to the leader of my religious service program- managed 200 other full time volunteers​
Anything else not listed you think might be important
Participating in upcoming seed funding competition at my undergrad for my small business proposal​
-----------------------​
Schools I'm looking at:​
Utah​
UA Phoenix​
UM Kansas City​
Creighton Phx​
Mayo Scottsdale​
UVA​
Duke​
UCSD (grandparents within 5 mi, i know, not a strong tie)​
Eastern Tennessee (other grandparents)​
Cincinnati​
Ohio St​
Kentucky​
UAB​
Michigan​
Vermont​
Maryland​
U Florida​
Dartmouth​
Brown​
Pitt​
R Franklin​
St Louis U​
Boston U​
Case​
Emory​
Also planning to apply TMDSAS, very interested in UTSW, Baylor, Long, TAMU​
Interested in any recommendations for schools as well​
Thanks so much!​

Members don't see this ad.

What are you doing in TX for your gap?
I gradutate in may, and I'm planning to move there and work full time in a field less directly related to medicine. Still not exactly sure, but I want to use my degree (bio) and impact people on a day to day basis. I'd like to stay out of super wet lab environments. So the short answer is that I'm currently looking and figuring that out.

You could try the Arizona schools, but AR and MO are likely not worth it if you just spent 2 years before leaving back to Utah. Grandparents likely won’t help with ETSU. The non-TN residents they take are veterans, bordering counties and students who attended school in TN. Most of the other public schools you listed would also not be worth your time and money for similar reasons.

I recommend:

Utah
UA Phoenix (check pre-reqs)
UA Tucson (check pre-reqs)
Creighton
Mayo Scottsdale
UVA
Duke
UCSD
Cincinnati
Ohio St
Michigan
Vermont
Dartmouth
St Louis
Boston
Case
Emory
Rochester
Einstein
Miami
USF Morsani
Western Michigan
Iowa
VCU
EVMS
Hofstra
Loyola
Rush
Northwestern
U of Chicago
Jefferson

You could try TMDAS schools, but keep in mind that your move in the late spring won’t really help you as they only accept 10% OOS. You could try TCU as they are an AMCAS school. Baylor and UTSW usually like high stat applicants with a lot more research.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user