WAMC + School List: 520/3.3sGPA with strong Downward Trend/4.0 SMP/URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parkourparkour

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a very atypical profile and would appreciate help making a list of schools that could be interested in me. I would like to apply this cycle as my MCAT will expire for many schools after this cycle but am worried my ECs might be lacking, any advice on this would be appreciated as well :) .

Background:
Black Female . Have a toddler. Legal Permanent Resident (but applying for citizenship). Grew up very poor, raised by single mother who also was a political refugee in a EU country. I immigrated here at 19 (english is not my native language). Personal/financial hardships throughout school.

undergrad GPA: I graduated 3 years ago with a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.3sGPA with a strong downward trend (see below). I had extenuating circumstances I will discuss in my app that may explain that drop (but nothing crazy or tragic, just your run of the mill hardships).
The first two years were also completed at a community college which may look bad?
1624586883371.png
1624586904608.png

MCAT: 520 (relatively even spread) taken sept 2019

SMP: Did a real SMP (no linkage) to remediate any concerns about my GPA above, graduated with a 4.0.
Worth noting that the program was 2hrs from my place of residence.

Research:
- I will have 5000 hours of being a clinical psychology research assistant then coordinator (paid) by Fall 2022. 1 publication (3rd author). Because it was very clinically heavy I plan on using that as clinical experience.
- 1000-1500 hours of Neuroscience research (bench work). 1 Poster and Research for credit
- 1000 more hours of various paid and unapid Medical Research. 1 pub (3rd author)

Shadowing:

15-20 hours ICU
30 hours online not sure if it's valued by schools?
currently 15 hours OB/GYN, anticipating 45-60 hours total by Aug 2021

Volunteering:

- 50 hours hospital
- 90-100 hours with children with autism but this was back in 2013.... can i still use it? (It was post high school)
- I was a VP in an honor society and did maybe 50 hours of community service through them but not sure how to frame that on amcas
- Recently started volunteering w. undeserved youth (pushed back due to covid and difficulty of doing my smp while raising a toddler). Not much currently but planning on 150-200 hours (conservatively) by fall 2022

Leadership

- officer roles in 3 honor societies between 2013-2015 including being president of a humanities club
- Was a student success assistant (paid) and led many engagement initiatives as a part of that

Other

Minored in philosophy.
Worked as a cashier, waitress and work study positions as well as taught GRE, LSAT, GMAT (my only skill seems to be standardized testing haha)
Editor of a campus literary magazine
Speak 3 languages fluently.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Miami
USF Morsani
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Georgetown
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Case Western
Cincinnati
Washington University
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Miami
USF Morsani
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Georgetown
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Case Western
Cincinnati
Washington University
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
Thank you!

I was also considering HBU’s, Michigan (I have family there), Colorado and California (my husband likes those states) schools. Is there anything from those categories I could have decent chances with as well? I am ultimately not crazy picky, I just hope to get in *somewhere*

Anything done after you graduated high school or turned 18 counts.