WAMC/School List for Non-Trad MD/PhD Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocuroniumRedux

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's hard to assess your chances without an actual MCAT score in hand.

MD-PhD programs will care most about research/research productivity/MCAT/GPA.

FYI, engineering courses typically don't count in your BCPM GPA.

What kind of PhD do you want to pursue with a MD? Will it be bioengineering related?

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to assess your chances without an actual MCAT score in hand.

MD-PhD programs will care most about research/research productivity/MCAT/GPA.

FYI, engineering courses typically don't count in your BCPM GPA.

What kind of PhD do you want to pursue with a MD? Will it be bioengineering related?
  1. Yeah, really wish I took it earlier but stuck in MCAT score limbo until June 13.
  2. Current BCPM GPA calculation is a lower bound and excludes all engineering courses, but I should be able to list a few based on AAMC's course content classification.
  3. I'm hoping to choose a PhD granting program/department with a focus in molecular and cell biology; however, I am seeking out several programs such as Duke and VUMC that have strong affiliated biomedical engineering programs in areas of biomaterials and drug delivery.

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Yeah, really wish I took it earlier but stuck in MCAT score limbo until June 13.
  2. Current BCPM GPA calculation is a lower bound and excludes all engineering courses, but I should be able to list a few based on AAMC's course content classification.
  3. I'm hoping to choose a PhD granting program/department with a focus in molecular and cell biology; however, I am seeking out several programs such as Duke and VUMC that have strong affiliated biomedical engineering programs in areas of biomaterials and drug delivery.
Harvard offers 2 MD/PhD tracks - one specific to those who wish to pursue a bioengineering course of study.

U of Illinois also offers an engineering focused MD program, as well as a MD/PhD program.

The engineering focus might be a differentiator for you. I'd also check out other programs - possibly Stanford, possibly Emory/Georgia Tech, possibly USC/Caltech.

Reactions: 1 user
Harvard offers 2 MD/PhD tracks - one specific to those who wish to pursue a bioengineering course of study.

U of Illinois also offers an engineering focused MD program, as well as a MD/PhD program.

The engineering focus might be a differentiator for you. I'd also check out other programs - possibly Stanford, possibly Emory/Georgia Tech, possibly USC/Caltech.
Big omission--definitely going to consider adding those. Thanks!

Good luck to you. May a 525 be in your future.

Any university with a strong engineering program might have similar MD/PhD programs. Off the top of my head - Columbia, UPenn, UMich, Baylor/Rice and others. Worth researching at least.

Reactions: 1 users
Also Texas A&M as @Mr.Smile12 pointed out in a different thread:

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.