WAMC/School list help (4.0/520) kind of on my own in this process...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itdobelikethat08

Reaction score
Hoping to get some help with a school list - my tiny little undergrad barely has a premed advising program (small liberal arts public school) so I've been mostly doing this process based on my own research and I'm worried I might be missing some important details - I have no connections in medicine and my undergrad has only produced 1 successful matriculant in the last like 15 years and she had to do a 4-year postbacc so I'm just feeling a little isolated from direct resources in the field. I Appreciate any feedback!

State/Country of Residence: MD

Ties to other States/Regions: college in VA, spending two years working in NYC

URM? (Y/N): N, white female

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology and Spanish majors, minors in chem and neurostudies

cGPA/sGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 520

Research Experience: 3.5 years as lead student researcher in small undergrad lab (~1000hrs); did a 80 hour internship rotation at an Alzheimer's institute during the winter of senior year; currently an associate neuroscience research at Mount Sinai SOM (will be here for about 1.5-2 years total, full-time hours)

Publications/Abstracts/Posters : undergraduates lab = no pubs, several posters (1 first author on 2 posters) and 1 oral presentation which was my senior thesis defense; will have 3-5 pubs from my current position at Sinai (no first/second author) and then a first author abstract/poster at society for neuroscience in nov 2022

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 230 hrs as a paid PCA in a nursing home summer of 2020, 12 hours vaccine clinic volunteer, applied for some hospital volunteer programs this summer so hopefully another 50-150

Physician Shadowing: 8 hours in cardio, 30 in family med, I took a medical Spanish class abroad for my major and shadowed physicians across several departments (60 hrs), another 10-20 in neuro

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 40 hours community service with my college soccer team, 10 hours English teacher at immigration center, and currently do weekly free English classes through the NYC mayor's office for immigrant communities (~100 hours, super passionate about this)

Extracurricular Activities: Division I Soccer Team Captain (several awards, recognized as an Academic All-American, huge time commitment), Pre-health society President, anatomy tutor/TA

Medical School List: (want to stay east coast, would love to narrow down if possible...)

University of Maryland
John's Hopkins
Columbia
NYU
Duke University
UPenn
Harvard
Yale
Mount Sinai
Weill Cornell
Washington University in St. Louis
University of Chicago Pritzker
Northwestern
Pittsburg
Vanderbilt
Einstein
UVA
Boston
Case Western
Dartmouth
Emory
Wake forest
Miami
Rochester
Mayo
Georgetown
VCU

thanks in advance for any help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend getting some more non-clinical volunteering to underserved and those less fortunate. The closest you have is the English classes and that’s not fully outside your comfort zone since it’s more akin to tutoring like most premeds do vs helping out at a soup kitchen, homeless shelter, more hands on with refugees or foster youth etc. Interpreter work to help them fill forms and understand state-funded programs and outreach would be a good extension though of your current role if that’s possible.

Consider adding:
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Western Michigan
Jefferson
USF
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Iowa
Tufts
Vermont
Saint Louis
UMass
Brown

I’d take out Wake since you have a lot of other options.

You have reached the right group for advice. I'll agree your application is good but could use a little more non clinical community service at least to get above the average threshold number of hours (100-150).

Let us know if you need more help. All of our advice is generally probabilistic and relies more on your own application and actions to get it submitted soon. I also encourage you to sign up now for any recruitment events especially virtual fairs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have reached the right group for advice. I'll agree your application is good but could use a little more non clinical community service at least to get above the average threshold number of hours (100-150).

Let us know if you need more help. All of our advice is generally probabilistic and relies more on your own application and actions to get it submitted soon. I also encourage you to sign up now for any recruitment events especially virtual fairs.
thank you so much for that insight! I'll reach out to some more volunteer programs :)

I would recommend getting some more non-clinical volunteering to underserved and those less fortunate. The closest you have is the English classes and that’s not fully outside your comfort zone since it’s more akin to tutoring like most premeds do vs helping out at a soup kitchen, homeless shelter, more hands on with refugees or foster youth etc. Interpreter work to help them fill forms and understand state-funded programs and outreach would be a good extension though of your current role if that’s possible.

Consider adding:
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Western Michigan
Jefferson
USF
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Iowa
Tufts
Vermont
Saint Louis
UMass
Brown

I’d take out Wake since you have a lot of other options.
this was super helpful, thank you so much!

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. Remove Wake Forest. You could add any of these schools:
Brown
Hofstra
Cincinnati
UCSF
Kaiser

Medical School List: (want to stay east coast, would love to narrow down if possible...)

University of Maryland
John's Hopkins
Columbia
NYU
Duke University
UPenn
Harvard
Yale
Mount Sinai
Weill Cornell
Washington University in St. Louis
University of Chicago Pritzker