WAMC/School List Help (siblings): 3.9+/4.0 cGPA, 3.9+/4.0 sGPA, 510-520 MCAT range ALSO: Tips for applying together please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChaiThere

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My best wishes to you both this cycle. Here's to hoping you both end up together.

Perhaps consider Duke, if you haven't already. They accepted me (even with my super low GPA) and average-ish MCAT. Also, I had a very positive experience with them during the application cycle (admin, faculty, and students), and I know they have at least one sibling pair :)

Lastly, when the time comes, noting family ties in update/interest can be helpful. I snagged two OOS interviews in CA in part because my family moved there mid-cycle and I made a strong case for wanting to be with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Without knowing the MCAT scores, it is too hard to suggest a list. That is too large of a range. Neither applicant needs to apply DO this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply!

Hypothetically, if one of us were nearer the top of the range and the other nearer the bottom, what might be a way to assemble a list that reasonably fits both of us? Is that possible? Our challenge has been that schools that are a reach for one are a target for the other, ones that are a target for one are an undershoot for the other, etc. The only schools that are the same for both are a few far undershoots.

Apologies for the unwillingness to provide exact scores. We're cautious when it comes to sharing much information online.

Are DO applications in our cases likely be subject to yield protection?

When you mentioned 510-520 in your first post, I assumed one of you was closer to the bottom and the other near the top. With the information I have, you could both apply to:

All FL schools
SLU
Jefferson
Vermont
Western Michigan
Tufts
Creighton
Tulane

Louisville, North Dakota, and Nebraska are OOS public schools that take few students without significant ties. Do not apply to them unless you both grew up in their respective states and/or attended HS/college there. It is unlikely you did so for all of them.

DO schools will be open to interviewing and accepting students such as yourselves. However, it is appropriate to apply MD for the first cycle and save the time and money needed in creating AACOMAS apps. I would recommend expanding your lists to schools that don’t overlap to ensure you both end up matriculating next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You could also cast a wide net in areas that has several med schools in close proximity. Like Chicago has 6 MD schools with a wide range of statistics. Same with St. Louis, Georgia ( schools not as close), etc etc. This might be a better way to accommodate both of your applications. One of you might have to drive a bit but it would be doable. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
As a director, usually I find out either with the "something else you want to tell us" essays in the secondary application, or I am told about it right when application season starts. Hopefully you did some networking before applying. BTW, submit early.

Reactions: 1 users