want to know where you matched?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow seriously?!?! this thread is about to catch up to the SOAP thread.....
It's less than 48 hours before we find out, just chill man

Members don't see this ad.

and that is exactly what happens when you get your board certification results…you get an email stating you have passed or not…then they mail you your results and score….though its more like 3 weeks and not 4 days...

This is more of a medicine problem. They tend to take a decade or two to make major changes.

If medicine were a business, it would have been bankrupt years ago. Good thing they have a monopoly.

• In light of our corporate structure, our web coding contract was given to the lowest bidder, which inevitably (it seems) has led to less than perfect security and privacy in the matter of revealing applicant match results in the appropriate time frame.

At your service,

Mona M. Signer, MPH

Executive Director

National Resident Matching Program

Wow.

Expect to hear many renditions of this phrase over the next decade in medicine.

The sad thing is they are doing this with patient care, and the mistakes won't be caught as often.

Reactions: 3 users
im not defending them... im just saying nobody is going to budge. So we might as well save our breath. Hopefully they will not go low budget next year again and learned their lesson from this.

Forgot to mention (for the question above about whether this has been present every year) that the NRMP website was completely rebuilt this year, so this was a new issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious... is it a match violation to let my family or any friends know where I end up after i soap into a prelim spot?

Most of the IMGs will not be participating in any sort of match ceremonies simply bc their schools don't have one. In my opinion, the news of the glitch and subsequent wait to receive results (bc I wasn't as fast as my classmates) has been cruel.
Actually, what is cruel is partially matching to an advanced program, striking out on prelims in SOAP/scramble, and then being forced waive your spot, wait another year and do the entire process over again. Just be glad you matched and enjoy the fact that you're not SOAPing. I know that I am!!!

The petition is a "subversion"???? That doesn't make any sense. The petition is a request to alter a policy. Its silly and trivial but its not subversive. That plus the bizarre claim that this was inevitable based on corporate policies doesn't leave me with overwhelming confidence in this crew.

Reactions: 3 users
how can we expect them to code the match algorithm correctly dun dun dun

interesting how the "Regional Match Statistics by Specialty" document is already viewable under "My Reports" despite the page saying it won't be available until the 24th. obviously the main landing page wasn't the only one with some oversights.

interesting how the "Regional Match Statistics by Specialty" document is already viewable under "My Reports" despite the page saying it won't be available until the 24th. obviously the main landing page wasn't the only one with some oversights.
Actually that only applies to the Match outcomes by State report.

The regional statistics were supposed to be made available with the Match Monday results, which they were.

Actually that only applies to the Match outcomes by State report.

The regional statistics were supposed to be made available with the Match Monday results, which they were.

ah. ok that makes sense.

The petition is a "subversion"???? That doesn't make any sense. The petition is a request to alter a policy. Its silly and trivial but its not subversive. That plus the bizarre claim that this was inevitable based on corporate policies doesn't leave me with overwhelming confidence in this crew.

A thinly veiled threat from the NRMP and a shot across the bow? Maybe the NRMP should spend more time figuring out how to run the Match without major glitches and less time wagging their finger at people on the internet who have understandable beefs with the way this played out?

Either way, **** em.

As far as I know the NRMP was exempted from the antitrust laws, not the First Amendment! This kind of attitude is not helpful and only serves to obscure the fact that they generally do a fine job in bringing order to the potential match chaos. It's a big job and mistakes happen. Life goes on. Good luck to all tomorrow, especially those of us who slept in late a couple of days ago. Regards.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the petition is stupid, but I think them calling it "subversion" is a sign of hysterical powertripping and scaremongering tactics to the nth degree.

What next? Calling it "sedition"?

Reactions: 2 users
It's in no way subversion. They are just mad that some people found out about their mistake and now they look like they don't have their stuff together.

I say we hire Google to run the match. They would do a hell of a lot better job than the nrmp

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Not that it really matters all that much, but does anyone know what time PDs find out who they matched today?

Notes posted on petition website:

• Mona M. Signer, MPH WASHINGTON, DC 20037
    • about 8 hours ago
    • Liked 0
    It is true that the source revealing Matches early to applicants was entirely related to our oversight of the underlying web coding.

While it is true that we are non-profit organization and that our work is limited to two weeks prior to the Match and one week following the Match, we are fully committed to ensuring a professional experience for all dedicated medical students.

This petition is a subversion of the NRMP Match Policies. We will continue to follow Policy with planned release of results to applicants on Friday, 21 March 2014 at 1PM EDT.

My best regards,

Mona Signer, MPH

Executive Director

• Mona M. Signer, MPH WASHINGTON, DC 20037
    • about 9 hours ago
    • Liked 0
    The National Resident Matching Program is a non-profit organization committed to providing medical students with a professional experience optimized to bring programs and future physicians together for graduate medical education.

In light of our corporate structure, our web coding contract was given to the lowest bidder, which inevitably (it seems) has led to less than perfect security and privacy in the matter of revealing applicant match results in the appropriate time frame.

As noted on our website, http://www.nrmp.org/residency/main-match-events/, Match results will be released as scheduled in R3® system at 1:00pm EDT on Friday, 21 March 2014.

We apologize for the lack of oversight on this matter, however we do not condone any discussion regarding early release of results as this is a subversion of NRMP Match Policy.

Please refrain from signing this petition.

At your service,

Mona M. Signer, MPH

Executive Director

Just let it go...there is no point to arguing anymore. It was a mistake, it happened... o well. A week from now none of you will care less.
Only a day and a half. Nobody ever died from anticipation ;)
Good luck to everyone!!

Is there any way to tell that this was actually Mona Signer writing these posts?

A thinly veiled threat from the NRMP and a shot across the bow? Maybe the NRMP should spend more time figuring out how to run the Match without major glitches and less time wagging their finger at people on the internet who have understandable beefs with the way this played out?

Either way, **** em.

edited as it appears to be a fake

Last edited:
Is there any way to tell that this was actually Mona Signer writing these posts?
The line "While it is true that we are non-profit organization and that our work is limited to two weeks prior to the Match and one week following the Match, we are fully committed to ensuring a professional experience for all dedicated medical students." doesn't read right to me. They do a lot more work throughout the year, including fellowship matches, data crunching. Heck, even the period right before the match is >2 weeks long.

The line "While it is true that we are non-profit organization and that our work is limited to two weeks prior to the Match and one week following the Match, we are fully committed to ensuring a professional experience for all dedicated medical students." doesn't read right to me. They do a lot more work throughout the year, including fellowship matches, data crunching. Heck, even the period right before the match is >2 weeks long.

So a successful troll:claps:

I thought the whole thing sounded pretty fake. Maybe I'm wrong.

Whelp 24 hours until our email comes out.

So do we get an email or do we have to log in to r3?

Just realized how long it's been since I logged in here...need to update my heading..
Current PGY1 TRI; matched anesthesia...hopefully PGY2

Just realized how long it's been since I logged in here...need to update my heading..
Last year we received an email stating where we matched (you could also log into R3 to see it as well)

Good luck...I hope you don't have to repeat your intern year!

Both. You'll get an email, and you can also login.

Well if you matched advanced it would say congrats you matched to advanced position. If not and you matched to categorical it'll say congrats you are matched.

Protein is talking about whether or not (s)he matched an R0 spot

Same thing. R0 (physician only) spots would say, congrats you are matched. That means fully matched, same category as categorical spots, or prelim + pgy2 spot combo.

Same thing. R0 (physician only) spots would say, congrats you are matched. That means fully matched, same category as categorical spots, or prelim + pgy2 spot combo.
You are still missing the point. It's whether he matched an R0 versus categorical versus adv + prelim. The latter two would require him to repeat intern year. He already knows that he's fully matched.

You are still missing the point. It's whether he matched an R0 versus categorical versus adv + prelim. The latter two would require him to repeat intern year. He already knows that he's fully matched.

I don't think you are understanding then. If he got the "Congrats you are matched" email having already completed an intern year, he would not have the third option. He would not have applied for a prelim spot, if he's completing/or has completed an internship. That would make no sense.

Why would someone apply, interview, and rank prelim spots again if they've completed an intern year? He may not know whether he matched R0 or categorical, sure, but he would know if he matched advanced or not. Unless he for whatever unclear reason ranked prelim programs which he likely would have not.

What's TRI?

traditional rotating internship...it's a DO-specific thing

I'm pretty sure they have TRI's on the allopathic side. A TRI is just a prelim year where you rotate through different specialties (like third year, but as a doctor). From what I've heard, most of the TRI's on the allo side are competitive, most going to those going into derm or other competitive specialties who don't want to do a prelim medicine year.

I'm pretty sure they have TRI's on the allopathic side. A TRI is just a prelim year where you rotate through different specialties (like third year, but as a doctor). From what I've heard, most of the TRI's on the allo side are competitive, most going to those going into derm or other competitive specialties who don't want to do a prelim medicine year.
It's called a transitional year