Was Kaplan prep courses worth it for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am debating whether to sign up for the Kaplan prep course at queens college New York, to prepare my self to take the dat.

Any dental students or dentists who have taken this preparatory route for the dat, please respond...

Any opinions comments or tips will be appreciated.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

There are many resources on this website pertaining to DAT preparation (materials, schedules, etc.). Save your money, study smart, and forget about Kaplan.
Source: I did Kaplan and thought it was a waste of $1000.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many resources on this website pertaining to DAT preparation (materials, schedules, etc.). Save your money, study smart, and forget about Kaplan.
Source: I did Kaplan and thought it was a waste of $1000.

That sucks. Yea I have been reading the dat section here on SDN but looking for some good news if any for the Kaplan prep courses here in NY.

Thank you for the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan was a total waste of money. Use the other resources mentioned throughout the DAT forums and you're golden.

Kaplan was a total waste of money. Use the other resources mentioned throughout the DAT forums and you're golden.

Hmmm, ok , so far 2of2 student dentists/ dentists have said no to Kaplan!

I can't believe it.

I have to agree, if I could go back I probably would have skipped the course.

The Kaplan course is a waste of money, that's all. I'm sure it probably prepares you but it's way overpriced and anyone that knows how to study should save the money. There are great materials out there (see DAT Discussion section) that anyone with a motive and a schedule can do just as well and most of the time better than those that take the course. If you are a person that has no ability to monitor and schedule your time studying, by all means throw your money at them.

If you need something structured just use dental works schedule. Also located in the dat forum

Last edited:
I found the Kaplan course very helpful. I took the DAT 5 years ago.
The classroom helped me stay on track and learn incrementally over the summer. Then, about 4 weeks before my test date, I started studying hard. I think what I found the most helpful were the practice tests and explanations to the answers. I read through all the explanations, even the ones I got correct.

I also used class notes when there were areas that I could identify that I was weak in. For RC, I feel you need practice and a strategy: and tests are the only way to do this.

Furthermore, the DAT is a longggg test... You need to train yourself to sit through that many hours and focus. So I did many "simulation tests" 1-2 weeks out. Waking up at the same time I normally would, traveling to the Kaplan testing center, and taking the same breaks etc.

Since everyone else has their DAT scores: mine was 24 AA 26 TS, 21 or 22 PAT and 24 or 25 RC. I got a great scholarship at my dental school, that I can attribute in large part to my DAT score... The $1000 I paid, pales in comparison to the $120k scholarship.

The classroom helped me stay on track and learn incrementally over the summer. Then, about 4 weeks before my test date, I started studying hard. I think what I found the most helpful were the practice tests and explanations to the answers. I read through all the explanations, even the ones I got correct.

I also used class notes when there were areas that I could identify that I was weak in. For RC, I feel you need practice and a strategy: and tests are the only way to do this.

Furthermore, the DAT is a longggg test... You need to train yourself to sit through that many hours and focus. So I did many "simulation tests" 1-2 weeks out. Waking up at the same time I normally would, traveling to the Kaplan testing center, and taking the same breaks etc.

Since everyone else has their DAT scores: mine was 24 AA 26 TS, 21 or 22 PAT and 24 or 25 RC. I got a great scholarship at my dental school, that I can attribute in large part to my DAT score... The $1000 I paid, pales in comparison to the $120k scholarship.

Thanks for this detailed response , very helpful.

Hi I am debating whether to sign up for the Kaplan prep course at queens college New York, to prepare my self to take the dat.

Dr. Romano, the guy who writes the DAT Destroyer, teaches a DAT specific class in NYC. It's either in Brooklyn or Staten Island. If you're taking a prep course, that's the one you want to be in.

Dr. Romano, the guy who writes the DAT Destroyer, teaches a DAT specific class in NYC. It's either in Brooklyn or Staten Island. If you're taking a prep course, that's the one you want to be in.

DAT Destroyer is notoriously overkill. I wouldn't take his course. I remember using DAT destroyer for organic chem, and I was getting only half the questions right... I ended up getting near a 30 on that section on the real DAT.

Thank you everyone who responded, I believe this thread could help a pre-dental student one day to determine what route is best for him or her.

Do a little digging in the DAT discussion section. I'll repeat, there are plenty of amazing sources to use. If you need something structured by someone else and have money to throw away, use Kaplan.

Honestly I know people that took a Kaplan course and they said it wasn't worth it. Most people that I know that did well used the Kaplan books for reading and just general DAT knowledge and they used the famous Destroyer books for the Sciences and math sections of the DAT, and used Crack DAT for PAT and reading.

I'm interested to know more about that scholarship you were awarded. Was that through the school for DAT score? Outside source? Could you expand? Thanks

Penn's Deans Scholarship.. half your tuition x 4 years.
Given to URMs, or students who excel (high DAT, high GPA, other random factors)

Reactions: 1 user