Waterloo Optometry 2011 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know! I feel like I'm developing an obsessive disorder...I think I need to go do some yoga to calm my nerves...

Members don't see this ad.

So, not to bring anyone's morale down since I'm sure we all have a great chance of getting in, but I'm curious what everyones back-up plans are if you don't get in this year. Is anyone going to the states? Anyone planning on finding a job/continuing school and then trying again next year? Or is optometry actually the back-up for some of you trying to get into medicine or dentistry? Just changing the subject until we get that first "Accepted!" post on here.

I'll be going down to the states for schooling, what about the rest of you??

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, I'll be going to NECO :) where will you be headed?

I haven't applied to anything else. I was thinking either PhD or repply to UW and american schools next year and take the year off to make some money...I'm just so hesitant to go to the states because it is extremely expensive...

I haven't applied to anything else. I was thinking either PhD or repply to UW and american schools next year and take the year off to make some money...I'm just so hesitant to go to the states because it is extremely expensive...

This is pretty much me. I put all my eggs in one basket this year, and that basket is called Waterloo. :laugh:

If I don't make it this year, I'll apply again next year and throw in some of the States schools as well, but I really don't want to go to the States for a number of reasons, including cost. If I did, though, my first choice would be Pacific, I think. As for the year in between, I would just work, probably, and do a bit of traveling. I was originally going to take a year off after undergrad anyway, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'll be going to Pacific. The cost does scare me, but I feel like if I don't get into Waterloo this year, that it just wasn't meant to happen.

I'm only in third year right now so I would just go back an finish my degree and apply next year again.

I only applied to waterloo. If I don't get in I guess I'll get a job and try again!

I wish we'll find out soon. They told us end of March but I keep thinking we'll find out this week or next! I'm going crazy.

Oh, I hope it's not as late as the end of March! The information package that came with the application said that all admission decisions would be made and letters mailed by mid-March, so I guess depending on Canada Post it could be as late as the end of March for people to get their letters, but I really hope it shows up earlier than that on Quest...

Apparently a lot of us have all our hopes riding on Waterloo... cause I definitely didn't apply anywhere else

i too only applied to waterloo! Im only in my third year as well, so if i dont get in i'll probably do a four year degree..otherwise i my take the year off to travel and work..next year ill apply again and probably to a few american schools as well. It wouldn't be my first choice to go to the states but if waterloo isn't meant to be i need a backup!
....random..but does anyone else feel sick at the thought of waiting for the status to just change one day on quest. I feel like a letter would be much less nerve racking but i know if the decision is on quest i won't be able to resist looking!

I have to say, I haven't actually checked quest at all- I'm not going to start until I see happy posts from a few of you on here. Mind you, I'm checking for that on here 2 or 3 times a day so I'm not sure that I'm any less obsessive than the "quest checkers" out there :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg, do you think it'll be tomorrow (friday)?! It's been a friday the past 2 years. hahah...

I have to admit, I have a strong feeling it will be tomorrow... although that feeling is entirely based on me HOPING it will be tomorrow, and not on actual fact.

I also have a good feeling that it will be tomorrow.... It's hard to believe that one day we will log on and it will actually say something other than "application" :S

Every time I log on to this forum and see "Waterloo Optometry 2011 Cycle" at the top of the discussion board, I get a little shot of adrenaline! :D

I certainly hope it's tomorrow too! And if not, next week for sure!

suspense much? lol I have also been loggin on once a day to see activity in this thread. Things are heating up people. I think tomorrow would be too early to be honest.. but I am all for earlier news.

I have a feeling it will be tomorrow too, since the Committee has already met.

haha i feel sick everytime i think about it!

and how do you know that the committee met?... just out of curiosity...

hey maybe some of you guys know the answer to this question: if the status box still says "application" after people start finding out, does that traditionally mean that you were not accepted, or is there still a chance at a second wave of acceptances?

They've met already because they told us they "weren't meeting until the end of february" and now it's march... Unless they were vaguely referring to "late feb/early march".

From what I heard if you are rejected, it says "denied". Although some people who are rejected will still see application and it doesn't change until they receive rejection letter!! Stupid UW.

Anyway if we don't find out by tomorrow at least we can stop checking like crazy people for the weekend at least haha...

hey maybe some of you guys know the answer to this question: if the status box still says "application" after people start finding out, does that traditionally mean that you were not accepted, or is there still a chance at a second wave of acceptances?

I'm not sure about this one. I had originally thought that acceptances were in waves, but after looking through older threads, I'm not so sure that's the case. In 2009, for example, a whole bunch of people found out on February 27, and by March 8-ish no one else had posted to say their status had changed to "admitted", although there were still several people waiting. (Well, there was one guy who claimed his status had changed quite late, but I question whether or not he was a troll.)

But I don't know for sure - this is pretty much just speculation. I know that if everyone else's status changed to "admitted" and mine still said "application", I would desperately hold out hope until I got the letter officially rejecting me. XD

i was thinking the same thing about being able to relax for the weekend if we don't find out tomorrow... but then i will just be anticipating Monday haha... tonight may be a long one now that i've heard so many of you are thinking it is going to be tomorrow...

ADMIT! happiest words I have ever seen on a screen in my life!

Congrats, LUhopeful and OptomHope!

I can't believe I'm seeing "admit" either!

Happiest day of my life!!! :D

Except... what do you guys think the conditions will be?

I sincerely hope it won't be "you must achieve an average of 90%" or I'm screwed lol

CONGRATS EVERYONE!!! :D

Also ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Congratulations to everyone on this forum who was also accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an incredible feeling!

Hey everyone! I am currently a 1st year at the University of Waterloo School of Optometry. Congrats to everyone who got accepted!!

Please join the facebook group "University of Waterloo Optometry - Class of 2015!" to meet your future classmates/orientation leaders!

Ya eyenerd, I am wondering what the conditions are too... is it just like, making sure we submit the final transcripts and don't just quit on our studies since we got in? Or is there going to be something surprising...?

ADMITTED!!!! :D:D I may or may not have just flown around my house bouncing up and down.

Congratulations to everyone else! Can't wait to meet you guys in person in the fall!!

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bolted out of bed to check when I heard you guys checked!! :D

I wanted to say congratulations to everyone on this thread Great work! I was also accepted this morning. It feels great to get an acceptance!

Are we suppose to receive a letter in the mail outlining these conditions and other information before we accept? I cant see any info right now on quest and do not know the specific timelines for acceptance?

"You have been given an Offer of Admission. Check your Offer of Admission to determine whether it lists any conditions that you must meet."

On a side note, I was just wondering how many people on here have other applications pending in other professions?

I wanted to say congratulations to everyone on this thread Great work! I was also accepted this morning. It feels great to get an acceptance!

Are we suppose to receive a letter in the mail outlining these conditions and other information before we accept? I cant see any info right now on quest and do not know the specific timelines for acceptance?

"You have been given an Offer of Admission. Check your Offer of Admission to determine whether it lists any conditions that you must meet."

On a side note, I was just wondering how many people on here have other applications pending in other professions?

Yeah, I think we're supposed to get a letter officially offering us admission in the mail soon-ish, since technically we shouldn't know about Quest yet. :p

I already accepted the offer on Quest. Unless one of the conditions is "you must give up your first-born child", I'm not too concerned - I think it's just that you must maintain a certain average over your final semester if you're still in school, so that they know you didn't just give up once you got in.

It's just as dawnfirenight said! You have to maintain a certain average (not 90% lol). As I graduated I am not worrying about this...

I'm so happy. :love: Did everyone here that got accepted got high GPA/OAT? I'm trying to figure out if it's "mostly GPA" like some people keep saying or they're leaning more towards experience and stuff!

Last edited:
Yeah, I think we're supposed to get a letter officially offering us admission in the mail soon-ish, since technically we shouldn't know about Quest yet. :p

I already accepted the offer on Quest. Unless one of the conditions is "you must give up your first-born child", I'm not too concerned - I think it's just that you must maintain a certain average over your final semester if you're still in school, so that they know you didn't just give up once you got in.

I was wondering about this too, and I figured it would be in the letters that we should be receiving. :) They don't contact us by email do they?

Congratulations to everyone again! I am unreasonably excited that so many (almost all?!?!?) of us SDN-ers have been accepted!!

Last edited:
It's just as dawnfirenight said! You have to maintain a certain average (not 90% lol). As I graduated I am not worrying about this...

I'm so happy. :love: I took a year off because I didn't have OAT/job shadowing experience and I was so worried I would be wasting another year. Whippppeeeee! Did everyone here that got accepted got high GPA/OAT? I'm trying to figure out if it's "mostly GPA" like some people keep saying or they're leaning more towards experience and stuff!

Congrats quack quack! I dont think anyone will really know how they calculate the gpa component of the application. My gpa was a high 3.8 (best 2 years was above a 3.9) and 370 OAT with 400 in TS score, if that helps.

I heard they drop ur highest and lowest academic year and take the average of the middle year or two depending on where you are currently in ur degree.. who knows if thats even true.

soooo if mine still says application does that mean i'm done like dinner?... or should i stay hopeful for a few more hours?? haha

Accepted! Congrats to everyone and good luck to those waiting!

soooo if mine still says application does that mean i'm done like dinner?... or should i stay hopeful for a few more hours?? haha

My question exactly :(

Congrats to those that did get accepted!

Anyone know if the rest of us still have a chance?

thanks!! haha this is terrible.... i'm not ready to give up :(

Don't lose hope... according to my friend from last year... he said he got rejected because he saw the status change to "denied" on the first day or so. There is still a chance. Good luck!

Well there's still a wait list right? Im just wondering would it say on the status "waitlisted" instead of just "application"

Well there's still a wait list right? Im just wondering would it say on the status "waitlisted" instead of just "application"

yeah i'm wondering about that too. i just want it to change from application.... whether it is good or bad news i just would like to know ASAP!!

the other thing i was thinking though is that if they have to go through the 250 people that were interviewed and change the status in quest, the process might take a while.... that is what i'm hoping anyway... maybe they just haven't got to mine yet.... haha

Alright, lets just hold our breaths till we get a definite answer!!

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! I'll be the first to post some bad news, unfortunately I was denied. On a positive note, that allowed room for some of you to get in, and those who's statuses haven't changed can still have hope! Just for informations sake: I had a 3.74gpa and a 340 on the OAT. I felt really good about the interview as well as my references, but I didn't have an insane amount of extracuriculars and only 30hrs of job shadowing. So I think with some more stuff to beef up my ABS and a higher OAT I might have gotten in. A small part of me wanted to move to Oregon anyway (despite the massive cost) so I'm not to devastated, my hopes weren't too high for Waterloo.

Good luck in the coming years and I'll see you all in the workforce some day!

Congrats on getting into PUCA! and seeing your marks and oat score, I would think you would be extremely competitive! My gpa and oat score are a little lower than yours so I guess I should just wait for the application to change to denied!! :(

Hi i'm currently a fourth year looking to apply next year. I was wondering for those accepted, what were your stats/experience like?