Waterloo Optometry 2011 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted!!!! :D:D:D congrats to those who were accepted as well! see you in the fall!!

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted!

I'm number 14 so low on the waitlist I can't see that many people being rejected! How about you guys?

Congrats on getting into PUCA! and seeing your marks and oat score, I would think you would be extremely competitive! My gpa and oat score are a little lower than yours so I guess I should just wait for the application to change to denied!! :(

Not necessarily! My GPA is only about a 3.63 and my OAT was 350AA//350TS

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how far into the waitlist they have accepted students in the past year?

Last edited:
I should also mention thar my GPA on the prerequisite courses, and science courses in general, probably would be much lower than my overall GPA was; probably 3.2-3.3 and that probably affected me negatively.

Congrats to those who got in!!! Just curious, for those who got accepted to Waterloo and the States, is anyone planning to go to the states?

To those who have received an email stating the conditions you must meet, would you care to share it with me/us? :)

Accepted!!! This was pretty unexpected for me so for those of you are hesitating about applying again (or for the first time) because you've always heard the same things I did about Waterloo's big focus on gpa and nothing else, I'll share my story...As long-winded as it is.

Granted, this may be an exception to the norm, but I think its a hopefull message for those of us who do not have a 3.9 gpa.

It won't surprise me if going into the new class, I have the lowest undergrad gpa of anyone there. Just under 3.3, to be exact, and a mediocre OAT of 330...at least I'm consistent, right? I applied last year and didn't even get an interview, so this year was a longshot for me. Maybe they just wanted to know that I was really serious about applying.

Technically, I guess I'd be considered a mature student. I graduated in 2005 and have been working full-time in crisis intervention work since then. If we're just looking at numbers....the handful of classes that I've taken since graduating have been in the 3.7- 4.0 range, but unfortunately most of my prereqs were taken back in 2000-02 and were not so great. I haven't won any awards or scholorships since the end of high school. All of this also meant that I had to re-teach myself my first years of university in order to write the OAT this past year.

I'm so glad that, at least in some cases, Waterloo is looking past the numbers because there's so much more to it than that! I realize that Waterloo needs something standardized to compare applicants with and gpa fits that....I'm also pretty sure that if not for my recent higher grades that at least paritally prove that I can get the grades when I have a goal, I wouldn't have stood a chance. But my grades have nothing to do with why I know this is a good choice.

I know from real experiences (that some people have not really had yet) what I like and don't like, what I'm good at, and that I've found a career that finally fits all of this. I've had wonderful mentors and experiences that have given me an opportunity to work and publish in visual neuroscience research, to job shadow (really hands-on) my optometrist one day a week for the past year and a half, while working full-time with direct client work (not always what people expect it will be, and not something everyone will like either!), while taking a few more classes here and there and while getting ready to write the OAT. And yes, the social life fits in there, too! I know that I'm going to be a damn good doctor! (modesty is going out the window today...just for acceptance day).

So I guess acceptances like mine don't happen that often, but I just wanted people to know that it is possible. :) Best of luck to next year's applicants and to the new class of 2015, I will be seeing you in September!

Congrats to everyone accepted!!!

For those accepted, can someone please tell me when is the deadline to accept the offer of admission? I'm so anxious right now and any little bit of info helps! Thanks!!

Last edited:
hi everyone. Congrats to all who got accepted! (and even waitlisted, that's still a great accomplishment!) I unfortunately got some disappointing news. But i'm trying to still hold my chin high! I know that i am young and my gpa and OAT are both average (3.64 and 330). However, i am very happy to even have gotten an interview! For all those accepted i am wondering if you are in your fourth year of undergrad or third? Or if you have graduated and took the year off? Im un sure what i will do for next year, whether i should do a fourth year of undergrad or take the year off to get experience working in the optometry environment. Im also curious as to how many hours of job shadowing you have done or even worked? Even though i was not accepted, i feel that my drive to want to get into waterloo has grown and i hope very much next year will be it!congrats again and good luck to all!

Hey guys.. congrats to those accepted! I got waitlisted so hopefully I'll join you guys!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.. congrats to those accepted! I got waitlisted so hopefully I'll join you guys!

If you don't mind me asking.. What number are you on the waitlist?

i am also waitlisted... #7

any information anyone has about waitlists, how fast they move, and when the deadline to accept admission if you got in is would be appreciated!!

I set up a QUEST account just to find out my result lol. :oops:
I clicked on Admissions>Optometry and it says "Admit" under Status so I guess that means I got accepted!?!? :eek: That was a big surprise...

My GPA was only 3.42 and I felt like I screwed up my interview, but my OAT score was 380TS/360AA and it was my second time applying. So perhaps they saw how determined I was. :laugh: So for those who are rejected, do not give up! Apply again next year!! :thumbup:

Accepted!!! This was pretty unexpected for me so for those of you are hesitating about applying again (or for the first time) because you've always heard the same things I did about Waterloo's big focus on gpa and nothing else, I'll share my story...As long-winded as it is.

Granted, this may be an exception to the norm, but I think its a hopefull message for those of us who do not have a 3.9 gpa.

It won't surprise me if going into the new class, I have the lowest undergrad gpa of anyone there. Just under 3.3, to be exact, and a mediocre OAT of 330...at least I'm consistent, right? I applied last year and didn't even get an interview, so this year was a longshot for me. Maybe they just wanted to know that I was really serious about applying.

Technically, I guess I'd be considered a mature student. I graduated in 2005 and have been working full-time in crisis intervention work since then. If we're just looking at numbers....the handful of classes that I've taken since graduating have been in the 3.7- 4.0 range, but unfortunately most of my prereqs were taken back in 2000-02 and were not so great. I haven't won any awards or scholorships since the end of high school. All of this also meant that I had to re-teach myself my first years of university in order to write the OAT this past year.

I'm so glad that, at least in some cases, Waterloo is looking past the numbers because there's so much more to it than that! I realize that Waterloo needs something standardized to compare applicants with and gpa fits that....I'm also pretty sure that if not for my recent higher grades that at least paritally prove that I can get the grades when I have a goal, I wouldn't have stood a chance. But my grades have nothing to do with why I know this is a good choice.

I know from real experiences (that some people have not really had yet) what I like and don't like, what I'm good at, and that I've found a career that finally fits all of this. I've had wonderful mentors and experiences that have given me an opportunity to work and publish in visual neuroscience research, to job shadow (really hands-on) my optometrist one day a week for the past year and a half, while working full-time with direct client work (not always what people expect it will be, and not something everyone will like either!), while taking a few more classes here and there and while getting ready to write the OAT. And yes, the social life fits in there, too! I know that I'm going to be a damn good doctor! (modesty is going out the window today...just for acceptance day).

So I guess acceptances like mine don't happen that often, but I just wanted people to know that it is possible. :) Best of luck to next year's applicants and to the new class of 2015, I will be seeing you in September!
This is eerily similar to my story.
I honestly was convinced that I had no shot based on people's comments in this forum and others.
My GPA is around 3.4 and my OAT is 340, 350TS (400 BIO). I also recently did some pre-requisites like Physics (if I had known I was going to Waterloo 5 years ago maybe I would taken an English or Ethics...but...) and re-taught myself Orgo and Chem for the OAT.
I guess my working/shadowing for an optometrist for months and my grades as part of my Master's in Immunology may have put me over the edge? I don't know...a lot of people told me not to second guess. I also imagine I'm older than many of the people entering into the program at this point.
I was terrified when I checked the forums at work and saw people saying they were accepted...I had no way of checking for HOURS!!
I checked when I got home expecting the worst...but there was 'admit!'I couldn't be happier!!
Just goes to show that when Waterloo says they accept people from a wide range of GPA/OAT scores and professional/academic backgrounds, they really meant it!
Looking forward to meeting all of you come September!

Anyone know how you can check your status if you're not a Waterloo student?

I know someone just above created a Quest account, but my friend is trying to create one and she doesn't have a Waterloo student #

I think your friend would have one just from applying. Try checking emails, letters, etc.

Try VERY hard to get a job at an optometrist's office. Some interview questions, you can kind of gauge what they're looking for (ie. given situation, how you would interact with patient, basic morals etc) - but if you have experience, then it makes answering the question all the better. One of the questions I actually tied it to something that I came across during clinical volunteering, and the interview seemed impressed. I'm the type of person that really didn't have much real life experiences/I rehearsed answers - but I've done enough volunteering where I pretty much have to talk to random people - so they want to see if you can carry a conversation with someone you're not familiar with. This is especially true, seeing how everything that came up was nothing like what I rehearsed for anyway.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Im a first year student at Waterloo optometry. I saw that some of you guys were wondering about waitlists.

last year they went thru 12-13 people on the wait list, and the last person (#12 or 13 im not positive) found out in mid august that they got in.

congrats to everyone that got in! and to those who didnt, there is always next year :)

hi everyone. Congrats to all who got accepted! (and even waitlisted, that's still a great accomplishment!) I unfortunately got some disappointing news. But i'm trying to still hold my chin high! I know that i am young and my gpa and OAT are both average (3.64 and 330). However, i am very happy to even have gotten an interview! For all those accepted i am wondering if you are in your fourth year of undergrad or third? Or if you have graduated and took the year off? Im un sure what i will do for next year, whether i should do a fourth year of undergrad or take the year off to get experience working in the optometry environment. Im also curious as to how many hours of job shadowing you have done or even worked? Even though i was not accepted, i feel that my drive to want to get into waterloo has grown and i hope very much next year will be it!congrats again and good luck to all!

I'm in my fourth year, graduating in June. For anyone who's interested in my stats, my GPA is 3.84 (pre-req GPA is more or less the same) with a significant upward trend, and I had 360AA/350TS on my OAT. I had three summers of non-vision-related research experience with a published abstract, about 22 hours of shadowing experience between two doctors at the same practice, and a handful of volunteering/extracurricular activities.

My suggestion to limegreen is to continue with your fourth year of undergrad so that you can pull your GPA up - it's already competitive, but another year can improve it even further, and it will probably look good to the school to see that you continued with your undergrad studies even after getting rejected. Get some more shadowing hours for sure, and maybe take the OAT again, but I don't know if it's necessary to take an entire year off to experience the environment. But that's just my $0.02 - do whatever feels right to you, and best of luck next year!

Would any current UW optom students mind sharing what the conditions were??? (i've already hit accept but am just curious as to what exactly they are) :p

Accepted as well!!

Undergrad average: 80% (95s in Physics, English, and Psychology courses) -- 3.7 GPA according to Ontario Medical Schools Application Service Grade Conversion Table (http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf)

OAT: 350AA/330TS (400 in RC, 380 in QR)

2 years working in Optometrist office (full-time summer, and Saturdays during the school year), about 20 hours shadowing at other places

Leadership positions in university band and Campus Rec leagues, two small university scholarships, frequent volunteer (university orientations for new students, summer children's and jazz festivals, musician in church, teacher at beginner band clinics)

I got my letters of reference from my lifelong optometrist (I also work in his office now) and my first-year English professor (she taught me over a full year and I saw her often for essay help, so she knows me very well).

The most important advice I can give to all future optometrists is try to find work in an office. In talking to the 5 doctors at my office, I learned that they had a lot of complaints about the people that used to be let into optometry schools. They said they had sky-high GPAs, but had no clue how to talk to people, and had never set foot in an optometrist office! They said these people were basically unemployable after graduation, even though they aced all their classes.
If you can't work in an actual OD office, find a job that requires you to interact with lots of different people daily. This will especially help you in your interview. They don't want people to come in with rehearsed answers, they just want to see that you can engage in a comfortable conversation with a stranger for a short period of time! This is basically what an optometrist does!

Good luck to all future applicants! I'm still in shock that I actually got accepted. With my GPA, I thought I was a goner.

See you in September!

Accepted as well!!

Undergrad average: 80% (95s in Physics, English, and Psychology courses) -- 3.7 GPA according to Ontario Medical Schools Application Service Grade Conversion Table (http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf)

2 years working in Optometrist office (full-time summer, and Saturdays during the school year), about 20 hours shadowing at other places

Leadership positions in university band and Campus Rec leagues, two small university scholarships, frequent volunteer (university orientations for new students, summer children's and jazz festivals, musician in church, teacher at beginner band clinics)

I got my letters of reference from my lifelong optometrist (I also work in his office now) and my first-year English professor (she taught me over a full year and I saw her often for essay help, so she knows me very well).

The most important advice I can give to all future optometrists is try to find work in an office. In talking to the 5 doctors at my office, I learned that they had a lot of complaints about the people that used to be let into optometry schools. They said they had sky-high GPAs, but had no clue how to talk to people, and had never set foot in an optometrist office! They said these people were basically unemployable after graduation, even though they aced all their classes.
If you can't work in an actual OD office, find a job that requires you to interact with lots of different people daily. This will especially help you in your interview. They don't want people to come in with rehearsed answers, they just want to see that you can engage in a comfortable conversation with a stranger for a short period of time! This is basically what an optometrist does!

Good luck to all future applicants! I'm still in shock that I actually got accepted. With my GPA, I thought I was a goner.

See you in September!

My Stats are similar - except for English! I don't think anyone gets over 90 in english at UWO! In the course I took the highest mark was 83% lol

Accepted as well!!

See you in September!

My stats and experiences are also very similar except with my GPA being about 82. I'm so happy UW is looking past ridiculously high GPA's and taking into account personal attributes and related experience, gives hope to potential Optometrists everywhere! :)

I REALLY hope UW looks more at experience now, seeing how I took a year off after I graduate to work in a clinic + help the doc with her eye research. My friend who got accepted 2 years ago said many people in her class have zero experience which really made no sense to me; how do you know you want to do this as a living? Like someone said above, really take the time to do some work/shadowing/volunteering :)

Thanks for your advice dawnfirenight! I appreciate it. and for everyone else posting their experience. I think i have decided to do a fourth year and ill get more job shadowing experience for sure! I want to improve my application as much as i can.
Good luck to you all!!

Hi Guys! This post goes out to all of you out there who have medi-ocre GPAs and an average OAT score; IT IS POSSIBLE; don't lose hope!!

I think that UW is really trying to change things and look for more well-rounded individuals. I have a GPA of 3.3-3.4 and an OAT score of 330 (after recalibration, since I wrote it last august) and I got acceptance.(I'm in my fourth year right now).

( you're probably thinking about optometry experiences I have lol). It's not spectacular. I worked at 2 different offices for 2 years and I volunteer once a week.

As long as you go into your interview with confidence and poise, you will rock it!!

Good luck to those planning to apply next year and congrats to everyone who got accepted!

Last edited:
for those of you who got accepted, how long do you have to accept?

for those of you who got accepted, how long do you have to accept?

We have yet to receive our official acceptance letters (the ones that come in the mail), and i assume this is where they will tell us how long we have to respond!

I got a reply from Marie saying that those who have been accepted have until the end of March to respond to their offers, and that there are 20 people on the waitlist.

We have yet to receive our official acceptance letters (the ones that come in the mail), and i assume this is where they will tell us how long we have to respond!

In our email acceptance it says "You should also be aware that this offer is conditional pending completion of the Winter 2011 term and any prerequisite courses that are currently in progress". So is that it? we just have to finish them and there is no specific average we have to maintain or will this be stated in the official letter you think??

Oh it's definitely not just marks for UW. Friend with good OAT/high 80s didn't get in.

OptomHope, you got the acceptance in email form then? Uh oh I didn't get anything from UW!

In our email acceptance it says "You should also be aware that this offer is conditional pending completion of the Winter 2011 term and any prerequisite courses that are currently in progress". So is that it? we just have to finish them and there is no specific average we have to maintain or will this be stated in the official letter you think??

Oh it's definitely not just marks for UW. Friend with good OAT/high 80s didn't get in.

OptomHope, you got the acceptance in email form then? Uh oh I didn't get anything from UW!

I never got anything either??? I was expecting something in the mail tomorrow lol

I never got anything either??? I was expecting something in the mail tomorrow lol

I received an email also, but it seemed to be just a heads-up that a letter was on the way in the mail (said it should arrive within the next week or two).

I wouldn't worry too much if you didn't receive an email, I guess make sure you're checking the email that they would have on file for you!

And yes, I certainly hope there is no specific grade we have to make in our winter term courses, and that we just have to receive credit for them! :p

really?? that's strange. Yes yesterday at like 4 i got an acceptance email that was very brief and mentioned they'd be sending an official letter in the mail within the next few weeks but wanted to let us know by email first. Do you remember which email address you gave them it could be in your junk mail or something? But like neuro said i wouldn't worry too much if u haven't gotten it, just look out for the letter in the mail which is most important!

I really hope theres no specific grades.. i'm sure i will be able to finish with a decent average but i would love to just relax before the madness starts in september :p

really?? that's strange. Yes yesterday at like 4 i got an acceptance email that was very brief and mentioned they'd be sending an official letter in the mail within the next few weeks but wanted to let us know by email first. Do you remember which email address you gave them it could be in your junk mail or something? But like neuro said i wouldn't worry too much if u haven't gotten it, just look out for the letter in the mail which is most important!

I really hope theres no specific grades.. i'm sure i will be able to finish with a decent average but i would love to just relax before the madness starts in september :p

K soo I found the email in my waterloo account. Which is very strange because I never use it. I never even listed that on my application. At least I found it, so everyone else knows where to look if they havent foudn their email yet.

Last edited:
Awww weird, it's not in the account I used to apply nor my main waterloo account (which I never use either). :(

Edit: Oh wow. WEIRD. It went to my hotmail account (one I used to apply from HIGH SCHOOL). So weird...

For those that somehow got their email in some random address, it basically letter just says:

Congratulations! We are very pleased to offer you admission into the Doctor of Optometry program for September 2011.

You will be receiving the official offer of admission in the mail within the next two weeks but we thought you would like to have this information by email immediately.

Upon receipt of your offer of admission letter, you will need to sign and return your offer letter and confirm your acceptance through
Quest at www.quest.uwaterloo.ca. Instructions on how to do this are included in your offer.

If you don't receive your letter in the next week or so, please email [email protected] (please be sure to include your full name and UW ID number).

You should also be aware that this offer is conditional pending completion of the winter 2011 term and any pre-requisite courses that are currently in progress.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact any of us. Once again, congratulations!

Last edited:
Official letters are in the mail!

yep! got mine today too :). Is it weird that I was half expecting a big welcome package similar to the ones we got when we got into undergrad? I guess they don't need to impress us with shiny things since most of us would killlll to get in! :p

So for the people asking, we need to accept the offer no later than 3 weeks after March 7.

"UW must receive your decision no later than three weeks after March 7, 2011."

And the condition is just... "satisfactorily complete your current postsecondary school year" and complete all the prerequisites. No "official" average that we need.

yep! got mine today too :). Is it weird that I was half expecting a big welcome package similar to the ones we got when we got into undergrad? I guess they don't need to impress us with shiny things since most of us would killlll to get in! :p

Pretty sure we'll get the big shiny package after we accept the offer, since it said in the letter: "sending this form will assist us in providing you with more detailed information if you accept your offer".

Pretty sure we'll get the big shiny package after we accept the offer, since it said in the letter: "sending this form will assist us in providing you with more detailed information if you accept your offer".

Does anyone know what the non-refundable amount is to secure your spot?

congrats everyone who got accepted. from what iv read it looks like a good idea to take a year off and get alot of optomotrist experience.

cant wait till i apply ^_^

Yessss..... Any waitlist updates would be appreciated!

Either people dont check this forum anymore or no one is declining their offer.. My hopes are for the first reason... This is definately going to be a long and suspenseful summer..

no kidding. so sad for us poor waitlisters... haha. what are your plans then for next year if you don't make it in?