Waterloo Optometry 2012 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi guys! i applied to waterloo last year and was accepted for the class of 2015! just a heads up about the interview, it will be set up with scenario questions just like limegreen18 said, however i've heard that they are increasing the scenario questions to 6 instead of just 3. let me know if you guys have any more questions! i'd be happy to help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Interview notices are going out already? I haven't gotten one yet, I'm getting anxious! How long did you have to wait since your paper application to get an interview notice? My paper application has been in since August and just got my second letter of reference in last week or so.

Hey Ken,

I had mine in at the end of august as well and I don't think my professor has sent in my reference letter yet.

Tina

hi guys! i applied to waterloo last year and was accepted for the class of 2015! just a heads up about the interview, it will be set up with scenario questions just like limegreen18 said, however i've heard that they are increasing the scenario questions to 6 instead of just 3. let me know if you guys have any more questions! i'd be happy to help! :)

Yikes!! That's terrifying! Any advice on how to prepare? I'm currently reading the book "Doing Right" which I heard is helpful.

Tina

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey can someone please tell me if there is any ADVANTAGE of doing your interview at Waterloo instead of Calgary? I know you do not get the tour of the school but is that the only factor? I would like to have my interview at Waterloo but Calgary is just much more convenient. Any thoughts?

Also if any had their interview in Calgary can you please share your thoughts. Where it was, how long the process took, how many questions there were, etc... How does taking the interview affect your chances? For example, is there a set number of applicants they can accept from Calgary interviews?

Thanks everyone

Hey can someone please tell me if there is any ADVANTAGE of doing your interview at Waterloo instead of Calgary? I know you do not get the tour of the school but is that the only factor? I would like to have my interview at Waterloo but Calgary is just much more convenient. Any thoughts?

Also if any had their interview in Calgary can you please share your thoughts. Where it was, how long the process took, how many questions there were, etc... How does taking the interview affect your chances? For example, is there a set number of applicants they can accept from Calgary interviews?

Thanks everyone

I'm from Calgary and considered doing my interview there, but ultimately decided to make the trip to Waterloo. Aside from the tour of the school, you are able to meet a lot of the faculty and ask the upper-year students questions, which is really great. I got a good feel for the atmosphere of the school and learned about how many amazing events there are to attend every year. I liked seeing the facility - after all, you're going to be spending an exorbitant amount of time in that one building for the next four years. You're just not getting the same impression of the program if you attend an interview in a board room at the Calgary Sheraton instead of in the very building where you will be studying - at least in my opinion.

The interview in Calgary is identical to the interview in Waterloo. Same number of questions. The actual questions themselves were the same in some cases - I did my interview in Waterloo and my roommate did hers in Calgary, and we both had at least one of the same questions. So as far as the interview itself goes, there's no advantage or disadvantage to doing an external - it's more the other aspects of the day that I personally appreciated, and a lot of my fellow interviewees must have agreed, because there were a TON of people from Alberta at my interview day despite there being an external offered in Calgary. That being said, if Calgary would be significantly cheaper/easier, don't rule it out - a lot of my classmates attended external interviews.

I can't say for sure, but I really don't think the school has any kind of "quota" for accepting applicants who interviewed at external sites. It's all about who will make the best optometrist, not who decided to attend an interview closer to home. It's not like they're going to bump out a better candidate who interviewed in Waterloo just so they can add another person who interviewed in Calgary, right? :) So I shouldn't think that your interview site will really hurt or help your chances.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response dawnfirenight, very helpful. In regards to the interview I have heard there are 3 questions. Now are those 3 questions from the same panel/interviewer (so in a sense, are you sitting in front of the same interviewer the entire time)? Or do you physically walk into 3 different rooms (or interviewed by 3 different interviewers)?

As for interview questions, are they just a Q&A format? For example, ethical dilemmas or responses to different situations. Or, are do you have to role play in any scenarios, like an MMI interview? For example, pretend your an optometry speaking with a patient?

Thanks for you input

Thanks for your response dawnfirenight, very helpful. In regards to the interview I have heard there are 3 questions. Now are those 3 questions from the same panel/interviewer (so in a sense, are you sitting in front of the same interviewer the entire time)? Or do you physically walk into 3 different rooms (or interviewed by 3 different interviewers)?

As for interview questions, are they just a Q&A format? For example, ethical dilemmas or responses to different situations. Or, are do you have to role play in any scenarios, like an MMI interview? For example, pretend your an optometry speaking with a patient?

Thanks for you input

It's a different room with a different interviewer for each question, presumably so that there is a range of opinions on your performance rather than just one.

The questions can vary. Mine were all Q&A situations but I knew some people who had role-playing.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Is there anyone who has taken the interview in past years who would be so kind as to post interview questions that they have had? I would appreciate it, it would be quite helpful to my preparation.
Thanks!

Hey everyone,
Is there anyone who has taken the interview in past years who would be so kind as to post interview questions that they have had? I would appreciate it, it would be quite helpful to my preparation.
Thanks!

We are actually required to sign a confidentiality agreement when we go to the interview so we're really not supposed to share! But do be prepared for situational/role playing questions where you act as the doctor and the interviewer is the patient - so get to know the rules and regulations of the profession etc. before you go in. Other than that just be confident and personable when in the interview, they really basically just want to see how you would interact with patients one day, so put your best foot forward.

We are actually required to sign a confidentiality agreement when we go to the interview so we're really not supposed to share! But do be prepared for situational/role playing questions where you act as the doctor and the interviewer is the patient - so get to know the rules and regulations of the profession etc. before you go in. Other than that just be confident and personable when in the interview, they really basically just want to see how you would interact with patients one day, so put your best foot forward.
Oh neat, I didn't know that you had to sign that. Thank you for the information and advice!

What do you mean by "rules and regulations of the profession"? Do you mean like... patient confidentiality? Any suggestions how to prep for that?

I just got my interview notice today! Nov 10th! Anyone else? =)

Nov 19! :) November 10 is super early. Are you doing an external interview?

Hey has anyone opted to conduct an external interview in Calgary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nov 19! :) November 10 is super early. Are you doing an external interview?

I believe interviews are only held Nov 19 and Nov 20, though I'd like to know if there are interviews being held on Nov 10!

Maybe it's external?

Tina

Congrats to everyone on their interviews!

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if someone that's been accepted knows what my chances would be to get in at Waterloo.. I've got a 3.35 GPA and 310 AA on the OAT, but had lower than 300 on the GenChem and Physics sections.. I've got a whole lot of extracurriculars and good references, but I'm wondering if I should retake the OAT? I submitted the 2nd part of the application about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard from them yet. Any suggestions??

Hi, I was wondering if someone that's been accepted knows what my chances would be to get in at Waterloo.. I've got a 3.35 GPA and 310 AA on the OAT, but had lower than 300 on the GenChem and Physics sections.. I've got a whole lot of extracurriculars and good references, but I'm wondering if I should retake the OAT? I submitted the 2nd part of the application about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard from them yet. Any suggestions??

Do you have a lot of shadowing or optometry work experience? That would really work in your favour. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi. I think ur gpa and oat is a bit low for Waterloo. I got an interview but I even think my gpa of 3.58 is on the lower side. I got 370 on OAT and have about 40 hrs of shadowing

The average of students accepted into Waterloo is around 87%, which translates to about a 3.8-3.9 GPA. People are still accepted with GPAs lower than that, obviously - in 2010 it ranged from 79% to 94%, so a 3.35 would probably be somewhere in the lower end - but your OAT score also isn't really helping you out. Waterloo wants a minimum 300 on the OAT, and I don't know if that's just AA or if they want all sections above 300, but I would assume it's the latter - most schools prefer that all scores be above 300. I would definitely suggest that you retake it.

Do you have a lot of shadowing or optometry work experience? That would really work in your favour. Good luck!
I would definitely aim for much higher than 300s on all sections of the OAT if you can, though I DO know of people who got in (to our year, 'dawn' :D) with a section lower than 300. As far as I know, American schools are much more lenient with their OAT scores and GPAs. But there are a lot more of them to go around....

Thanks for your input everybody. I got called for an interview for Waterloo - now I am wondering if I should wait to hear the outcome of the interview or just book my OAT anyways, I would have to write it in December. How long does it usually take for them to come to a decision after the interview, and do you think they would wait to see a second set of OAT scores or decide earlier, since they offered me an interview based on my initial scores?

I have 25 hours of shadowing with an optometrist, and will be shadowing another one in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input everybody. I got called for an interview for Waterloo - now I am wondering if I should wait to hear the outcome of the interview or just book my OAT anyways, I would have to write it in December. How long does it usually take for them to come to a decision after the interview, and do you think they would wait to see a second set of OAT scores or decide earlier, since they offered me an interview based on my initial scores?

I have 25 hours of shadowing with an otpometrist, and will be shadowing another one in the next couple of weeks.

Waterloo doesn't do rolling admission, so you won't find out whether or not you've been accepted until sometime in early March - they let everybody know their status at the same time, after you have submitted your grades for the fall term (assuming you are still in undergrad). Since the deadline to write the OAT is December 31, they will certainly look at your second set of scores - I don't even think the admissions committee meets until the end of February.

Good luck at your interview!

I would definitely aim for much higher than 300s on all sections of the OAT if you can, though I DO know of people who got in (to our year, 'dawn' :D) with a section lower than 300. As far as I know, American schools are much more lenient with their OAT scores and GPAs. But there are a lot more of them to go around....

Hi "Wave"! :D

Has anyone received an offer to interview recently?
Or know if waterloo sends out any sort of notification to unsuccessful candidates?

Or know if waterloo sends out any sort of notification to unsuccessful candidates?

I am wondering the same thing, if anyone can answer that would be great. I called and asked, the lady said she does not know anything about if offers for interview or rejections have been sent out. But she does know that, if you are invited for an interview you will get an email but if you are rejected you will get a letter in mail.

Hey, for what it's worth, your interview still could be coming. Me and a friend sent in our applications on the same day, a couple weeks before the deadline. I heard back within a few days of them receiving it, but my friend waited another 2 weeks or so before they got back to her. Another person at the University I attend just got invited for an interview as of last Friday (3 days ago). There's still hope!

Thank you! I sent my application a day before the deadline, hoping to hear back soon!

Hi everyone!
I just stumbled upon this forum and I think it's a great idea. I have my interview on the 19th as well so I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys there.

Hi There I have sent my application in October and I believe waterloo received it on the 3rd and have not yet received an email for the interview, just a little worried. Is there anyone else in the same boat as I?
:confused:

Hi There I have sent my application in October and I believe waterloo received it on the 3rd and have not yet received an email for the interview, just a little worried. Is there anyone else in the same boat as I?
:confused:

A friend of mine sent hers in around that time, and just got an interview as of last week. I'd imagine there's still hope.

hi just wondering what your OAT scores where like, I am wondering if I should write it again

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

No I have not :(. I am panicking now:(
Dont worry hopw you get a email from them soon, I was invited for the interview last year, but I am still waiting for this years....:eek:

hi just wondering what your OAT scores where like, I am wondering if I should write it again
Hello. What was your OAT score? The average for acceptance into Waterloo in the past few years has been around 360. That being said, it's possible to get accepted with lower. Personally, I would rewrite anything under 340 in a hurry, but if it's at or above 340, I'd just leave it be for this round of applications, and rewrite in the summer if you don't get accepted.

Girls: are you going to be wearing a skirt suit or a pant suit to the interview? I only have a skirt suit right now, wondering if the weather will be okay where I can get away with not having to buy pants...

Girls: are you going to be wearing a skirt suit or a pant suit to the interview? I only have a skirt suit right now, wondering if the weather will be okay where I can get away with not having to buy pants...

Judging from what interviewees wore last year, a skirt suit should be just fine. :) Though I would recommend for those NOT planning on wearing a suit (skirt/dress shirt combo for example) to re-consider it because a suit will make you look so much more professional.

Last edited:
So Just to make it clear, the interviews in the past have been focused on role-playing and scenario questions? do they ask anything about who you are and why you want to become n optometrist for example?

Hey Everyone!

I am in my 3rd year of biomed and I have a GPA of 3.66 overall and a 3.77 in science. I applied to waterloo and NECO and have my interviews comming up; nov 19 and dec 2nd respectively.
Does anyone know what percentage of people who get interviews at waterloo get accepted?
Because I know 46% of applicants get in, so that means over 46% of applicants who are offered interviews get accepted!

I got a 350 overall on my OAT and 370 TS. My lowest mark being 320 in RC.
I worked in a research lab last summer but have basically no optometry experience except job shadowing for a few hours. I am part of intramurals and a student club but don't have any volunteer hours.

What are my chances of getting into waterloo or NECO for next sept?
And is there any prep I can do for Waterloo interview? I know there is prep for NECO but not sure about the MMI @ waterloo.
Thanks!

Note: I am a preoptometry student :p. status is incorrect

Hey Everyone!

I am in my 3rd year of biomed and I have a GPA of 3.66 overall and a 3.77 in science. I applied to waterloo and NECO and have my interviews comming up; nov 19 and dec 2nd respectively.
Does anyone know what percentage of people who get interviews at waterloo get accepted?
Because I know 46% of applicants get in, so that means over 46% of applicants who are offered interviews get accepted!

I got a 350 overall on my OAT and 370 TS. My lowest mark being 320 in RC.
I worked in a research lab last summer but have basically no optometry experience except job shadowing for a few hours. I am part of intramurals and a student club but don't have any volunteer hours.

What are my chances of getting into waterloo or NECO for next sept?
And is there any prep I can do for Waterloo interview? I know there is prep for NECO but not sure about the MMI @ waterloo.
Thanks!

Note: I am a preoptometry student :p. status is incorrect

Just an FYI, that 46% is incorrect. It was taken from a couple years ago when around 200 people applied and 90 got in, but in 2010, 350 people applied and 90 got in, so it was more like a 25% acceptance rate. The same number of people will be accepted every year, but your chance of getting in really depends on how many people actually applied. I don't know for sure what proportion of people who get interviews will be accepted, but last year there were probably over 200 people interviewed for the Class of 2015, and as I said, 90 were accepted.

Can't help you with your chances at NECO, but I would say your chances at Waterloo are probably decent. Being a third-year student makes it more difficult, but not impossible - we have several students in the Class of 2015 who were accepted after three years. It's hard to know for sure what the average GPA is for students accepted, since Waterloo operates on a % scale and not a 4.0 scale, but the average acceptance % in 2010 was something like 87% (probably the equivalent of a 3.8 or so). If you perform well at your interview, you'll have a decent shot.

For interview preparation...well, I don't know how NECO's interview is structured, but all I can really suggest for the Waterloo interview is just to practice with family and friends, and try to find example questions here or on other websites. Don't be too nervous on the day - it's not that bad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am curious for the MMIs do they expect you to act in character or explain what you would do in that situation.
For example; How would you tell someone they are unable to drive?

1. role playing in character : Hello Mary, unfortunately your vision has declined and you are now unable to legally operate a motorized vehicle etc..

OR

2. explain what you would do: In this situation I would try to be as empathetic as possible and show true compassion by understanding how much this will change the patients life..etc

Hey guys,

I am curious for the MMIs do they expect you to act in character or explain what you would do in that situation.
For example; How would you tell someone they are unable to drive?

1. role playing in character : Hello Mary, unfortunately your vision has declined and you are now unable to legally operate a motorized vehicle etc..

OR

2. explain what you would do: In this situation I would try to be as empathetic as possible and show true compassion by understanding how much this will change the patients life..etc

You will know when you read the question. If they want you to roleplay it out, it will say so on the question. For practice, you can try preparing for both.

Hey guys,

For those that have just had their interview, would you mind sharing your experience. You do not have to post specific questions, but just what you thought of the experience overall and if you can provide any useful tips. Greatly appreciated!

On a side note, I was wondering what everyone is doing in order to prepare for questions that relate to ethical dilemmas? Is there a right answer in these scenarios? Any guidelines or things to consider when confronted with an ethical dilemma? Thanks again and good luck to those preparing for interviews!

Hey!

I just had the interview and I thought the experience overall was very relaxed and actually fun! I was a little upset when it was over. I think that in some ethical situations there's definitely right and wrong and to prepare, I read the book Doing Right, which I heard was good from a lot of premed students. I think it really helped! Also, almost 3 years of working with an optometrist probably was the absolute biggest help for the entire interview.

Hope this helps!
Tina

I hope this gets answered before its too late.. But when going into a station, is the question posted on the door so you have for have to read it before you go in OR is it asked by the interviewer when you walk into the room? Thanks again!

The question is posted on the door. Good luck! :)

I hope this gets answered before its too late.. But when going into a station, is the question posted on the door so you have for have to read it before you go in OR is it asked by the interviewer when you walk into the room? Thanks again!

For those of you that had interviews I hope they went well and as you expected. I guess its the waiting game from here on in. When and how do we find out the results of admission? Also, has anyone got admission with an OAT of 330? If so what were your other criteria like (gap, extra curricular, etc)? Thanks guys