Waterloo Optometry 2012 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh the waiting game... Feels better being here than preparing, that's for sure!

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious about how many are planning on heading to US if not accepted to Waterloo. Anyone?

I am curious about how many are planning on heading to US if not accepted to Waterloo. Anyone?

I will if not accepted to waterloo. Just submitted to optomcas though so i haven't been to any interviews in the states yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied to Waterloo this year, so if I'm not accepted I'll be applying to Waterloo and the states next year.

Yea, I'll probably be heading to US if not acceptable to waterloo.. i really hope that won't be the case. U.S. is so freaaking expensive !! And all the horror stories about OD saturation is making me concerned

Do you guys know if there is still "early acceptance" into the program? I saw that in the forums from previous years.

Uggh I cant wait till March :(

Do you guys know if there is still "early acceptance" into the program? I saw that in the forums from previous years.

Uggh I cant wait till March :(

No, there is not, assuming the acceptance process has not changed from the past few years. We all found out on the first Friday in March, as did the class before us.

Does anyone know how Waterloo treats OAT rewrites?
I'm just wondering if they look at your most recent only, both or the higher score.
Happy Holidays :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, sorry if this question has already been posted... But I was wondering how many people are waitlisted for the School of Optometry? And roughly how many of those are accepted? Thanks!

I believe its usually 20 and on average the list moves by about 7-10 people.
10 is a little high though, last year the 10th person got in right at the end of august!

I have a quick question, if I were to apply to the UWaterloo optometry school but get rejected for the year I am hoping to get in for, can I reapply for subsequent years? or is it once I get rejected, I can't anymore?

I have a quick question, if I were to apply to the UWaterloo optometry school but get rejected for the year I am hoping to get in for, can I reapply for subsequent years? or is it once I get rejected, I can't anymore?

You can absolutely reapply. I know at least two people in my year who weren't accepted the first year they applied, but got in on their second try.

I have a question.
Suppose waterloo gives out an offer in March, most likely it's going to be conditional, i.e. on the condition that the student gets a 75% in the english course of the current semester. Do they care if this semester had a full course load?
And as a side note, what are the usual conditions listed in an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question.
Suppose waterloo gives out an offer in March, most likely it's going to be conditional, i.e. on the condition that the student gets a 75% in the english course of the current semester. Do they care if this semester had a full course load?
And as a side note, what are the usual conditions listed in an acceptance?

If I'm remembering correctly, the conditions are that you pass all your winter semester courses, so that they know you didn't just throw in the towel once you got accepted. I can't say for sure whether they want a full course load in your winter semester - I know that it's strongly preferred for you to have a full course load in your previous semesters because it shows that you can handle the work in optometry school, but I don't know if having a lighter load in your final semester is a deal-breaker. That's something you might want to ask the Admissions Committee.

Hey!

Not sure if this was answered on here, but Waterloo looks at your latest score, even if it's lower than the last score.

Just found this out today:)

Tina

Does anybody know when in March? From what I've heard about the past couple years, it's the first Friday of March, but I don't know if this will be the case. Any ideas?

Our club just did a tour at Waterloo and I was told it'd be the end of March.

The anticipation is killing me too!! In a good way of course!

Maybe it will be on quest earlier march then the emails get send out throughout!

I recently signed up for QUEST (as a non-Waterloo student) and my homepage is pretty much empty. Where do you think my application status information would be?

Will I be able to find my acceptance/rejection on QUEST or will I have to wait for an e-mail?

If it's like last year, your status will change on Quest first, and then you'll get an email within a day or two. Last year the status changed on the first Friday in March, quite early in the morning, and I think the emails all got sent out the following Monday. To check your status, log into your Quest account and click on the little arrow on the Admissions tab - if I'm remembering correctly, it should show you that you've applied for Optometry, and then when you click on that, it'll take you to a page that tells you what your admission status is. For a long time mine just said "Application", and then I think it changed to "Admitted". Last year everyone who got accepted found out on the same day, and then people who were on the waiting list received emails throughout the day telling them what position they were in.

However, it's possible that the admissions committee might be meeting later this year, so it could be late March before you guys find out. I wish I knew more, but as current students we hear absolutely nothing about what the admissions committee is up to. Best of luck!

Thanks for the useful information! I was wondering, does OSAP give loans for optometry school at Waterloo? I've been trying to find this information but it seems like you can't get an estimate without actually applying. Also, what other financing options do you suggest, I'm trying to plan ahead here... I looked into TD trust's line of credit and their max is $80,000 for optometry, do you know of any other banks that provide more loans?

Thanks for the useful information! I was wondering, does OSAP give loans for optometry school at Waterloo? I've been trying to find this information but it seems like you can't get an estimate without actually applying. Also, what other financing options do you suggest, I'm trying to plan ahead here... I looked into TD trust's line of credit and their max is $80,000 for optometry, do you know of any other banks that provide more loans?
I was also looking into this! I'm sure that they do... or at least I hope so. If not, was the $80,000 loan per all four years or per year? $80,000 a year is more than enough to cover tuition, living, etc. in my opinion.

Tina

It would be 80,000 total for 4 years but in case I have to go to the states, it wouldn't be enough

I was also looking into this! I'm sure that they do... or at least I hope so. If not, was the $80,000 loan per all four years or per year? $80,000 a year is more than enough to cover tuition, living, etc. in my opinion.

Tina

You can absolutely get a loan. The vast majority of students do. I can't really give you an estimate because it depends on your savings, whether your parents are contributing, etc., but I think you can get enough to cover whatever you can't afford for tuition, books, equipment, etc. I'm not 100% sure how OSAP itself works - I'm from Alberta and did my loan through ALIS - but yes, a loan is certainly possible. And because the program is expensive, you may be able to get some grants as well when you apply with OSAP, which you don't have to pay back.

As for a line of credit, I got mine from RBC. For optometry, you can get a max of $150 000 there, and if you ask, they'll give you Prime+0% for interest, although I think their website says it'll be Prime+1%.

In addition, Waterloo has a full-time bursary for those who demonstrate financial need, and I think you can get up to $8000 a year with it if your expenses outweigh your income.

I hope I dont come across this situation, but does anyone know if letters of regret are sent out at the same time as admission letters/emails? Or are they sent out at a later time?

I hope I dont come across this situation, but does anyone know if letters of regret are sent out at the same time as admission letters/emails? Or are they sent out at a later time?

From what I understand, last year's applicants from the university I attend all found out on the same day.

Hey guys, getting pretty close to that time! So my question is if anyone knows how the committee evaluates applicants post-interview? Exactly what do they consider differently compared to pre-interview? Im assuming the reference letters play a big part at this time.

Is anybody else getting anxious? It's coming up soon, people!

Hey guys, getting pretty close to that time! So my question is if anyone knows how the committee evaluates applicants post-interview? Exactly what do they consider differently compared to pre-interview? Im assuming the reference letters play a big part at this time.

I'd actually guess that reference letters don't play a huge role. I'd imagine that most people have very similar reference letters, as it's something that you have a fair bit of control over. You wouldn't ask someone to write you a reference letter unless you knew they'd write a good one, right? Just my guess, anyway. But we'll find out soon, regardless!

agreed, I'm getting so nervous!
I wish we knew when exactly in March to check QUEST!

I am so anxious and just really want to find out! Did you have a quest account beforehand or did you make one? I attempted to once but didn't end up getting very far with it.

I just made one a few weeks ago. I had to create a WatIAM ID then use it to sign in.
Do you think we'll find out on Friday? I think in the past they've found out the first Friday in March but this year we were told late March so I don't know!

I'm very anxious! I hope it's this friday! It seems (looking at old forums) that the past 4 years it's been the first friday in march, so if they keep up with the trend it should be this friday! But anything can change i suppose. I have a feeling when they say "late in march" they mean getting letters in the mail, whereas Quest will be up earlier.

Either way, the time is getting closer! I just can't wait to find out and put this suspension to rest! Has anyone else applied elsewhere and heard back from there? Anyone considering turning down waterloo if accepted?

For those of us that are not using QUEST, will we hear back from an email at the same time or do we have to wait till laters to be mailed?

For those of us that are not using QUEST, will we hear back from an email at the same time or do we have to wait till laters to be mailed?

Yes you will hear back in an email either the day it goes on quest or a few days later.

I'm very anxious! I hope it's this friday! It seems (looking at old forums) that the past 4 years it's been the first friday in march, so if they keep up with the trend it should be this friday! But anything can change i suppose. I have a feeling when they say "late in march" they mean getting letters in the mail, whereas Quest will be up earlier.

Either way, the time is getting closer! I just can't wait to find out and put this suspension to rest! Has anyone else applied elsewhere and heard back from there? Anyone considering turning down waterloo if accepted?

I'm kind of confused about signing up for Quest account so I'll just wait for the email. I am accepted to NECO and I really like it there but of course waterloo is so much cheaper.
I don't think many people will turn down waterloo. On my interview day, I spoke to some students who were applying to other professional programs as well so I suppose those people may turn down optometry if they weren't that passionate about it in the first place.
Anyways, I'm very anxious about the results too!

the anxiety is actually driving me nuts! I really hope we find out this friday, accepted or declined, at this point I just want to know!

I applied to NECO too and got accepted but would choose waterloo over NECO because its cheaper... I also don't know how to sign into quest lol so I have to wait for the email! IM so anxious!!!!! If anyone gets notice tm on quest / email please post here to let us know!!!!!!

I got accepted to NECO too but it will be in a big dilemma if I get an acceptance from Waterloo. I got a $10K schoolarship from NECO. So the only difference in the cost will be 24 (NECO)-12 (Waterloo)=12K per year. So a total of 48K in 4 years. What would you do if you were me? I'm stuck.

I loved NECO when I went to go see it a few years back. But cost for me was a big issue so I decided not to apply this year. If I don't get in to Waterloo I'll be working for a year to save up a bit and possibly go to NECO next year. Everyone I've spoken to has loved the campus (who wouldn't love Boston?!) and the program, more so than the people I've talked to from Waterloo. If NECO and Waterloo were both Canadian schools I would choose NECO in a heartbeat but alas they are not! I think it's a decision you have to make for yourself, 48K is a lot of money but spending 4 years in a place you love might just be worth it...

I don't really care about the location. Its just the relative weakness of the clinical experience at Waterloo that is concerning me. 48K would be equivalent to an additional 3 years to pay the debt back (about $1500 per month). So even though I would rather stay close to my family and friends in Toronto, I might go to Boston for the clinical experience sake. The last thing you want to say to your patient is "I don't know..." and while I was job-shadowing a Waterloo graduate, he actually had to say this to his patient after 40 min attempt of refraction. :((( I need someone to reassure me that things are changing at Waterloo due to the new administration.

Although other schools start in clinic earlier than UW, the very first day in third year you are seeing patients, so thats two full years of patient/clinic exposure. Also, UW students out perform every other school in board exams which includes both academic and clinic components.

I loved NECO when I went to go see it a few years back. But cost for me was a big issue so I decided not to apply this year. If I don't get in to Waterloo I'll be working for a year to save up a bit and possibly go to NECO next year. Everyone I've spoken to has loved the campus (who wouldn't love Boston?!) and the program, more so than the people I've talked to from Waterloo. If NECO and Waterloo were both Canadian schools I would choose NECO in a heartbeat but alas they are not! I think it's a decision you have to make for yourself, 48K is a lot of money but spending 4 years in a place you love might just be worth it...

I am actually in almost the exact same situation as you. Except I applied to and got my scholarship at PUCO instead of NECO. Overall, however Waterloo is still much cheaper. Similarly, I would choose PUCO if the cost of attendance is the same because I enjoyed my visit at PUCO more....and I have heard that the clinical experience is better. Personally I am leaning towards PUCO over Waterloo but I am not 100% yet.

May I ask how you are deciding between the 2? I'm assuming our situation/criteria is about the same.

Although other schools start in clinic earlier than UW, the very first day in third year you are seeing patients, so thats two full years of patient/clinic exposure. Also, UW students out perform every other school in board exams which includes both academic and clinic components.

I thought board exams vary from province/state to province/state? I would guess that Waterloo students will get better scores on Canadian provinces' board exams while US students will do better on US states' exams since they gear their curriculum towards doing well on the boards and practicing afterwards?

Caerulus I believe you're asking me instead of Nensis. I'm the one who got a scholarship from NECO and can't decide between the two. I'm strongly leaning towards NECO. I feel like the extra ~50K will worth the education I will get even though as a downside, I won't be able to come home as often (flights are expensive). But again its still a big dilemma for me because at the end we will all have the same degree. I also think there might be more opportunities there in Boston because there are a lot of big universities (Harvard, MIT, Brown, Boston). Connections are always very important.

Yes, I know Waterloo students do well on the board exams but I don't know if its because they have heavy emphasis on theory. I was actually quite pleased with the facilities and the small town environment of Waterloo. Life is definitely less expensive in Waterloo than in Boston. I honestly have no clue how students get by in Boston. So my only concern about Waterloo is its clinical education. I was extremely lucky to have job shadowed 2 ODs in the same office. One was a NECO graduate and the other was a Waterloo graduate. The waterloo graduate told me that he was making less than $50 K a year !!!! I could not believe it! And he was working there part time while the NECO graduate actually owned the business and he was able to do an exam in 15 min while he had a good conversation with the patient (vs. the exam was about 30-40 min. by the Waterloo graduate).

Its a difficult decision.

Congrats on your acceptance into PUCO. I was very impressed by the faculty and the education. =)

Caerulus I believe you're asking me instead of Nensis. I'm the one who got a scholarship from NECO and can't decide between the two. I'm strongly leaning towards NECO. I feel like the extra ~50K will worth the education I will get even though as a downside, I won't be able to come home as often (flights are expensive). But again its still a big dilemma for me because at the end we will all have the same degree. I also think there might be more opportunities there in Boston because there are a lot of big universities (Harvard, MIT, Brown, Boston). Connections are always very important.

Yes, I know Waterloo students do well on the board exams but I don't know if its because they have heavy emphasis on theory. I was actually quite pleased with the facilities and the small town environment of Waterloo. Life is definitely less expensive in Waterloo than in Boston. I honestly have no clue how students get by in Boston. So my only concern about Waterloo is its clinical education. I was extremely lucky to have job shadowed 2 ODs in the same office. One was a NECO graduate and the other was a Waterloo graduate. The waterloo graduate told me that he was making less than $50 K a year !!!! I could not believe it! And he was working there part time while the NECO graduate actually owned the business and he was able to do an exam in 15 min while he had a good conversation with the patient (vs. the exam was about 30-40 min. by the Waterloo graduate).

Its a difficult decision.

Congrats on your acceptance into PUCO. I was very impressed by the faculty and the education. =)

I really don't think this is a good generalization at all. You could have the exact same situation happen between two Waterloo grads, or two NECO grads, or two SUNY grads, etc. It all pretty much depends on the students - some are quicker to grasp clinical concepts than others, and let's face it, some are smarter than others or work harder than others. I guess I am biased because I'm a UW optometry student but from what I've been experiencing so far the clinical education is pretty on-par. Yes, in NECO and other US schools you are put into clinical situations with "real" patients a lot sooner than at UW, but you're kind of going into it blind. I think NECO tries to sell themselves by saying that you get to start clinical as soon as first year - but in actuality you are really just doing vision screenings for children - something most of you have already done..and if you haven't you will realize that it takes about 5 minutes to learn how to do it. I'd personally rather have all the background education and practise on other students before practising on real patients. Additionally, as another poster said, once you get to third year you are seeing patients pretty consistently within the clinic, and fourth year is all external rotations just the same as it is with the US schools...so in actually its not *that* much of a difference. I guess i depends on what type of learner you are. But if it's any help, i know that the first year students at NECO right now are learning the exact same clinical techniques as the first years are at UW. Good luck to everyone and i know you'll all make the right choices!

Thank you! Its always good to know an insider's perspective :))
How often do you guys get to see patients in third year?